Accident at Disneyland (CA)

puppet_box

Hi guys, this is my first post

Not only am I saddened by the tragic news but I am astounded by the media coverage of this accident. For such a small country, the accident has made the front page in almost all our local papers in Singapore and it was broken live in our news channels. I am very surprised at the immensity of it taking into consideration that disney is such a huge global company.

GaryT977

Originally posted by tigger1968
I think I can safely say that mkt is not the only one here that wishes you would disappear, Ceo.

Hear hear!! :sohappy:
And take Future_CEO with you. Come back when you grow up a little bit.

GaryT977

Originally posted by wdwmagic
I suggest you never visit a Disney park again, and for that matter, how about never flying in an aircraft, riding in a car, a train. Oh and accidents happen in the home, so you might want to go live on a desert island.

Exactly! I checked out that link someone gave us earlier, and there's only been a handful of deaths since DL opened in 1955, and all but two were the fault of the guests. You have a better chance of dying on the flight/drive to a Disney park than from an accident on any of the rides.

MouseMadness

And all I can say is WOW! Glad I missed all the Poo flinging last night, hopefully somebody can come through today with some real news and information. I'd love to know what truly happened. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this, directly or indirectly.

I've just gotta say, though, there was quite a bit of talk about injuries and deaths at Disney, and what was disneys fault, what was covered up, blah blah... I'd like a percentage. Out of all park guests in all the parks' histories, what's the percentage of deaths/injuries? And hell, throw in the ones that were "covered up." Let's face it, getting up off your couch is a risk, so until we all wanna sit home and just do that, know that actually living your life comes with risk. I'll be riding everything I can get on when I get to WDW in a month! (except M:S.... I'm still scared it'll make me puke. :lookaroun )

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by wdwmagic
Your attitude is thing that is "messed up". I suggest you never visit a Disney park again, and for that matter, how about never flying in an aircraft, riding in a car, a train. Oh and accidents happen in the home, so you might want to go live on a desert island.

Bravo Steve!

CEO is lucky I didn't read this thread until this morning. Once again, his age and lack of "think before you talk" comes through in shining colors.

CEO, you say you refuse to "be bullied off the forums by one member" Well it's amazing how another chimed in immediately following your post asking you to leave, and I'll throw my hat in that ring as well.

You think you know what happened? State your source. Unless you were there personally inspecting the track immediately following the accident, I suggest you shut up, because you are not helping the situation, you are only drawing attention to yourself.

Here's a cheat sheet for you::

Accident at DL with one dead and 11 injured: Important
Anything you've said in this thread (and lately): Not important.

Fact is this: There was an accident at DL. No, it wasn't a conspiracy, it was an accident. Disney isn't immune to problems, and things like this will happen.

My prayers go out to the family that lost their loved one today. Because that's all I think is important.

Gregory

I went through all the posts, and didn't see anything about it... so, If anyone wants to read the Press Confrence with Michael Eisner and Jay Rasulo, here it is... (from Laughing Place.com)

Michael Eisner: ... are deeply saddened by today's accident. Our hearts and prayers go out to those injured and the family of the deceased. Over the last 50 years the safety and well being of our theme parks guests and employees has been and continues to be our top priority. We are working very closely with local and state authorities to gather the facts and determine the cause of this accident as quickly as possible. I came down to Disneyland specifically to lend my support to our cast, to express condolences to those people that are injured, to the family of the deceased, and commit that this company will continue on its mission of guest safety and guest satisfaction. And I'd like to introduce Jay Rasulo whom I just described as the President of our Theme Parks and Resorts who will fill you in more as to what we now know.

Jay Rasulo: Thank you Michel. The parks and resorts family is deeply saddened by this tragic event. Obviously our first concern is the care of everyone whose been affected by this tragedy - Cast Members as well as guests. As Michel says, our top concern remains the safety and security of our guests in our theme parks.

Let me tell you that every attraction at Disneyland is inspected every morning before any guest rides any of the attractions. We take a systematic approach to maintenance, a systematic approach to the safety of our guests at any and all times when they're in our parks.

Let me tell you a little bit about what's happening right now. Firstly, our first priority is the guests who are injured as well as their families and Cast Members who are also deeply affected by an occurrence like this. We are providing them and supporting them in every way. Helping them along with their medical care, counseling, providing the resources that they need in this very troubled time for them. There are many many questions coming into the phones at Disneyland, both Cast Members and guests concerned about family and friends that were here. Let me give you a 24 hour hotline number that everyone can call. It's 800-642-5399. And that hotline has all information about park hours, about what will happen tomorrow, what's happening right now, all the information that we have available to us.

As far as the accident scene is concerned, state and local investators have been diligently on this job, on the investigation since about 11:30 this morning. They of course work in great cooperation with us. We have not had the opportunity to get in with our own staff and technical staff to make a full investigation of what has gone on. Of course we are as anxious as anyone, as anxious as all of you to understand the details of what happened, the root causes, and to get to the bottom of what happened this morning. We will not rest until we have the facts regarding this matter. The attraction will remain closed indefinitely. And if you wish, at this point, I'll take your questions.

Question: How thorough was that inspection? Did they walk the track, etc.

Rasulo: As I said our approach to maintenance is quite systematic. Every attraction including Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is inspected every morning before guests arrive.

Question: What does it mean to inspect? Does it mean the cars are run through? Exactly what does it mean to inspect?

Rasulo: Yes, we run of course all the cars through and do a systematic inspection plan according to a schedule, the details of which - as we get into this investigation I think we need to look at what exactly the details are of that. But we do do inspections every day of every attractions.

Question: Can you explain was it one car that derailed in this accident. Do you know?

Rasulo: You know we don't know exactly what's happened yet. Obviously, as I mentioned we are in cooperation with the public authorities in the review of what exactly happened. We don't have all the details. I think it would be premature and irresponsible to give you an answer to that question until we know the facts.

Question: Do you have any indication of that last timee that you did a full inspection of the ride. Where you literally stopped, looked down, walked every inch, looked everything over?

Rasulo: A question like that and the answer to it are really part of a holistic overall investigation and I won't answer the detail to that right now.

Question: Do you how many times the attraction ran this morning prior to the accident?

Rasulo: No I do not.

Question: Does the ride have a mechanism so that it will stop if it is having problems?

Rasulo: You know, all of the attractions of course have very technical and scientific braking systems and stopping systems. Part of our ongoing investigation of this situation, of course, and how that played into the today's accident will unfold as we get into the investigation.

Question: But is there an automatic stop for this ride that triggers when there is a malfunction or it senses there is a problem?

Rasulo: All of our attractions have triggers that sense things that are not proper as the ride progresses through its cycle. Again, I'll just come back and say relative to this situation, I think we'll understand that better when we actually get in and start looking at what happened.

Question: We know there have been prior accidents on this ride. It has malfunctioned before...

Rasulo: I think comparing the incident of this morning which we don't really know all the details of to anything else that's happened in the past is probably premature. So I won't get into that.

Question: Can you describe for us if you have seen the ride today. Where the locomotive is at this moment and where the other cars are.

Rasulo: I have personally not seen that. The scene of the accident was secured for investigation purposes by our colleagues and friends at the Anaheim Police Department as well as the Fire Department. And as we get into the investigation we'll understand that better. I don't want to answer that question because it's premature and I don't know the exact answer.

Question: Do you now where the accident happened on this ride. We were told a tunnel. Was at the beginning of the ride, the end of the ride...

Rasulo: It did not happen in the load area. It happened somewhere along the track. I can only repeat that we have not been inside the attraction to see exactly where this occurred. So let's let the investigation unfold so we can answer that question correctly.

Question: Can you tell us anymore about the victim? Was he here with his family, etc...

Rasulo: We don't have too many details. As you know, we are not at liberty to discuss that. That's a better question for the city of Anaheim and the Police Department. At the appropriate time I'm sure they will make all that information available.

Question: What are the speeds that this railroad reaches?

Rasulo: Well there are various speeds within the attraction as you can imagine. I believe the top speed of this attraction is about 28 mph, but that's a detail we can get further information on.

Question: What is the actual sequence of the investiation? When you say it has been shut down while officials are looking at it, when they finish up are your people literrally going to work hand-in-hand with Anaheim, Cal-OSHA and say 'let's go over it step-by-step' and when do you expect to be able to have access to it? The next 24 hours? 36 hours?

Rasulo: I think your question details the process quite well. We work in close cooperation with the California Dept of Safety and Health as well as the authorities here in Anaheim in any investigation, this one included, and progressively that core team of people from inside of our organization as well as the city and OSHA will conduct that investigation. I don't want to give you the details and timeline of that because they're not completely evident to me at this moment.

Question: Can you tell us about the safety record of that attraction?

Rasulo: As I said, we have a very systematic approach to our maintenance and safety. We entertain millions of guests every year here and around the world in a very safe environment. And as I said any comparison to the history for this attraction really is premature and, I think, a little irresponsible at this point.

Question: In light of what happened here, has this triggered you to take a closer look at some of the other rides, similar rides, couplings of passenger cars, and the like?

Rasulo: Premature to answer that question. We're just in the middle of investigation of what, in fact, happened here. So to answer about any detail of what we will invest or what will be the outcome of this investigation, I don't think, is responsible at this point.

Question: Is this a ride that little children can ride on also? Or is this one of those that has a certain type of restriction on it?

Rasulo: There is a height restriction on this attraction. I'm going to guess it's 42 inches? (looks to an assistant) 40 inches. So that means that children can ride the attraction, not very small children under the height of 40 inches.

Question: Based on past history, do you believe that the Railroad will be shut down for weeks or perhaps for months?

Rasulo: Too early to speculate on that. I don't know how long the investigation will take.

Question: When was the last time that you and Mr. Eisner rode on this attraction.

Rasulo: Personally - I don't want to speak for Michael - I would say that sometime within the last 3 months. I don't know precisely when, but you know I travel around our parks all over the world and ride the attractions all the time.

Question: Do you know how many people were on the ride at the time of the accident?

Rasulo: No, we don't. I don't have that information available. I can tell you that the maximum capacity of such a train is 32 guests. Don't have the detail on how many were on at that moment.

So let me turn over at this point...

Question: You mentioned earlier that you were here to express condolenses to the family of the deceased. Have you been able to make any contact...

Eisner: No, actually the name of the deceased has not been released by Anaheim yet due to the process that they undertake notifying the family. So we are in the exact same position you are as far as that goes.

Also, a few pictures of the train...

TheOneVader

I know that the chance of this happening is probably less than winning the lottery, but I still feel a little scared about riding this attraction at WDW...

dopey

Originally posted by mac388
This is a stretch here, but I think it's so funny that Bush announced his speech date re: Iraq right after the Disney thing happened! Maybe it's because I just finished the Mike Eisner book today where he talks about how he's buddy-buddy with the Bushes.

I like how you think, mac. It's probably a coincidence, but....

The best news for Disney -- and maybe some other media savvy person here already pointed this out -- is that this news broke on a Friday afternoon. If Disney's lawyers and crisis communications people handle it right, this story ends today.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Sure, accidents happen everywhere--at every theme park--on every highway. But these other theme parks and highways are not charging top dollar to be put into danger either! (I'm not just talking about park admission, but rather food costs, hotels, etc...)

IMHO, Disney can get away with charging what they do because they have (had) THE top quality product. Disney advertises "magic" and "wonder" and "pixie dust". But none of this is possible when an accident due to decreased or poor maintenance happens.

I understand that it's just speculation that it was poor maintenance. But all we can do now is speculate because we don't have any new information.

So right now I don't feel the "magic" as I did before. Maybe it will come back in time.

Please don't respond with statistics regarding car wrecks and train wrecks. I understand all of this. I'm talking about the marring of the "perfect" Disney product. I'm not comparing it to other forms of transportation.

ToTBellHop

Probably already been posted here, but Tokyo closed their Big Thunder yesterday, so all three of the original Big Thunders (Paris's is different) will remained closed until the investigation of the cause of this wreck is determined and fixed in all three coasters.

FutureCEO

the media i think ask the same question over and over and believe me living right next to the second largest nightclub fire in history and after Sept 11th. the medias not my friend, never was.

I have a question: Where are the secret emergency entraces to the parks?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Tragedy and the media

If anyone thinks the media is there only to relay information they are sadly mistaken. The media's top priority is there own power and control. They love to tweak whatever they report on so that it benefits themselves or whoever they are supporting at the time. The Media =>:fork:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Re: Tragedy and the media

Originally posted by hakunamatata
If anyone thinks the media is there only to relay information they are sadly mistaken. The media's top priority is there own power and control. They love to tweak whatever they report on so that it benefits themselves or whoever they are supporting at the time. The Media =>:fork:

:rolleyes: Wow... the Big Bad Media is trying to take over the world by covering the Accident at DL?! :confused: :rolleyes:

FutureCEO

media can be good and bad sometimes, mostly their bad but they just report information. Mostly I think they asked too many of the same type of questions and they asked questions that were answered already. Last but not least, they hound the victims and survivors with questions.

DMC-12

Originally posted by FutureCEO
media can be good and bad sometimes, mostly their bad but they just report information. Mostly I think they asked too many of the same type of questions and they asked questions that were answered already.

Ah yes, thats true, I read the Rasulo(sp?) and Eisener Press conference... and even I was getting annoied by that... :lol:

dopey

Hey, Gregory, thanks for posting that transcript.

No matter what anyone thinks of Eisner, it was the right move for him to take the leadership position on responding to this accident. He acted quickly, too, and went right to the scene.

There are lots of CEOs who hide behind their PR people at times like these. His talking points were smart, too. He put the victims first, he talked about a safety record that spans 50 years and that they're cooperating with authorities.

DMC-12

Originally posted by dopey
Hey, Gregory, thanks for posting that transcript.

No matter what anyone thinks of Eisner, it was the right move for him to take the leadership position on responding to this accident. He acted quickly, too, and went right to the scene.

There are lots of CEOs who hide behind their PR people at times like these. His talking points were smart, too. He put the victims first, he talked about a safety record that spans 50 years and that they're cooperating with authorities.

I was surprised Cynthia Harris took the podium yesterday to, I would of thought for sure she was going to hide behind a press release or one of her underlings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom