Accident at Disneyland (CA)

Sally_doll

Originally posted by CoraJack
[
So right now I don't feel the "magic" as I did before. Maybe it will come back in time.

Please don't respond with statistics regarding car wrecks and train wrecks. I understand all of this. I'm talking about the marring of the "perfect" Disney product. I'm not comparing it to other forms of transportation. [/B]

I thinks its understandable for you to not feel the "magic". I still love disney just as much as before the accident. Many people look to disney as a type of security blanket and a way to escape the stress of the world and have fun. people start to develop a sence of security like nothing could ever go wrong there and when something so tragic happens its a huge blow. Thats probobly why some people reacted so negatively to the news but thats all in my opinion.

Gfhweb

This is now being nationaly covered to millions of people all over the world today. In AOL they have scolling pictures that take you to a news story of the day. The most important of the day.(they have mostly been about the war or other things they feel are important). NOw in this annoucmnent they are covering the accident at disney right next to a stroy about the palestine leader stepping down from office. Her is a copy of the story AOL is posting.

"ANAHEIM, Calif. (Sept. 6) - An accident on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster left a 22-year-old man dead and 10 other riders injured.

The ride's locomotive separated Friday morning from its train inside a tunnel and was slightly derailed, but officials did not know whether that caused the accident or was the result of it.

''Our hearts and prayers go out to those injured and to the family of the deceased,'' said Michael Eisner, chairman and chief executive of the Walt Disney Co., who came to the park and spoke to reporters.

Marcello Torres, of Gardena, who was in the first car behind the locomotive, died inside the ride and his body had to be extricated by paramedics, said John Nicoletti, a city spokesman.

One of the other victims had moderate injuries and the other cases were considered minor. Six were taken to the University of California Irvine Medical Center, two were taken to Western Medical Center and two were treated at the scene and released.

The injured included two boys ages 9 and 15, two men ages 20 and 47, and four women ages 19, 21, 37 and 47. The ages of the two people treated at the scene were not available.

''We are working very closely with local and state authorities to gather the facts and determine the cause of this accident as quickly as possible,'' Eisner said.

Some passengers were able to evacuate the ride on their own, so the total number of riders was not immediately known, Nicoletti said.

Nicoletti said it was not known how the locomotive became disconnected. The train cars behind the locomotive remained on the track.

Jay Rasulo, president of Disney's theme parks and resorts division, said state and local authorities were investigating. He said Disney's own technical staff had not yet been in to examine the ride.

''We don't know exactly what's happened yet,'' Rasulo said. He stressed that every ride is inspected every morning before Disneyland opens.

Tokyo Disneyland, which has a similar Big Thunder Mountain roller coaster, shut down its ride until the cause of the Disneyland accident is determined, said Misato Kawabata of the park's information center. Kawabata added there have been no problems with the Tokyo ride.

The ride is designed to look like an old fashioned locomotive pulling cars, which can hold as many as 32 people. Rasulo said he believed the top speed of the ride was 28 mph.

The death was the 10th at the park since it opened in 1955, said police Sgt. Rick Martinez. Not all the deaths have been ride-related.

The computer operated roller coaster takes visitors on a twisting, turning ride aboard what is supposed to be a runaway train in the Old West. Riders zoom through mineshafts and caverns, past falling rocks and tumbling waterfalls.

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved":(

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Sally_doll
I thinks its understandable for you to not feel the "magic". I still love disney just as much as before the accident. Many people look to disney as a type of security blanket and a way to escape the stress of the world and have fun. people start to develop a sence of security like nothing could ever go wrong there and when something so tragic happens its a huge blow. Thats probobly why some people reacted so negatively to the news but thats all in my opinion.

Exactly, Sally. I think that there are so many arguments here because everyone is truly upset that this happened in our "happy place". Right now I feel like I can never feel the same security that I once did. I flip out on rides at other parks, especially when they stop or I sense some other problem. I never did at Disney. When a ride stopped or was shut down I always used to think, "Good, that is the emergency systems working and I'm safe."

But I won't feel that way anymore. I know that we had a false sense of security in thinking "nothing can go wrong at Disney", but it was fun while it lasted. For me at least.

PurpleFigment

ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

I haven't read this entire thread (19 pages!!!), but I have seen a few on the last page about the media. It seems ya'll hate us! I'm a member of the media, and I can certainly tell you, we're not all evil! There are some bad seeds out there, but don't lump us all together!

Why do reporters ask the same or similar questions over and over and over again? Normally because at first people are reluctant to tell us things, but after you ask them three times they very well may decide to answer. If you don't persist, you won't get anything.

Some media entities do try to spin things a certain way, but honestly, it's not common practice. We try to look for different angles on everything, just to keep things fresh. And no matter what we do to any story, someone isn't going to be happy. We can do a story on how cute puppies are, but you're going to have some people call and scream "puppies are ugly and they should be rid of the earth!" That has happened! If a viewer is just personally against something and we do something that shows it in a positive light, they're going to be unhappy. So, no matter what we do someone isn't going to like it.

The media is basically around to INFORM people. If one of our stories inspires people to get out and do something on different issues, all the better! We do try to entertain at times, too. We're here to help our viewers in some cases, but we can't solve everyone's problems. In all of this, we are still a business. We sell advertising during our broadcasts and programs and we do want to get as much money as possible for them -- as any business wants to get top dollar for their product. Most (local)television news stations don't "create" news, but sadly, some try to....these stories are generally aired in February, May and November, our ratings periods that determine the amount of money we charge for advertising. When a station does a story they obviously created, the other stations in town do look down on them! We don't like those stories....they give the whole industry a bad name!

Please remember, we do do a lot of good things, too! We do help some people with their problems, we let you know about things going on in your community. We're you're little watch-dogs on the government. We uncover major problems...we find out that the Firestone tires that came with your Ford Explorer can kill you...we find out that DNA crime labs are contaminated and are convicting innocent people...we find out school districts are claiming they have no dropouts, increasing their funding costing taxpayers millions of dollars...we find out people are living on top of toxic dumps causing cancer in young children...we tell you a hurricane is coming....

So, you may not like everything we do, but please remember, without us everything would be a whole lot worse!

I'm not going to argue about this with anyone...this is basically all I'm going to say on the issue. Just wanted to give you a little perspective from the media's view....

Gregory

Re: Tragedy and the media

Originally posted by hakunamatata
If anyone thinks the media is there only to relay information they are sadly mistaken. The media's top priority is there own power and control. They love to tweak whatever they report on so that it benefits themselves or whoever they are supporting at the time. The Media =>:fork:

We all know that CNN is so famous because they sat back and watched other news stations take the good stories... every news stations biggest goal is to have no viewers...

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
n the words of the wise bard, Chris Rock...

"RUN! THE MEDIA IS COMING!!!!"

:rolleyes:

I'd first like to say that I'm saddened by this tradegdy, and I hope they find out what went wrong soon, so we can lay this to rest.

Secondly, I would to point at that this coaster is made by Vekoma, just more extremely themed by WDI. Here's a blip from a page on Coasterforce.com:

Mine Train
Loved by Adults and Kids alike, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in all the Disney parks represents the reason why Disney respect Vekoma so much. Vekoma are willing to get in there and design track specifically for a certain ride, and Big Thunder Mountain proved that Vekoma's mine trains are without a shadow of a doubt the absolute best in the business, shame then that less than five exist. If you think Big Thunder Mountain is the best of Vekoma's mine trains, then you are wrong - the best Vekoma Mine Trains are at Six Flags Belgium and Phantasialand

http://www.coasterforce.com/information/furtherinformation/vekomainfo.shtml Near the bottom of the page.

I'd also like to suggest to people that interested in some things that Disney has covered up, to read Disney : The Mouse Betrayed.

my two bits

Karl

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by PurpleFigment
I haven't read this entire thread (19 pages!!!), but I have seen a few on the last page about the media. It seems ya'll hate us! I'm a member of the media, and I can certainly tell you, we're not all evil! There are some bad seeds out there, but don't lump us all together!

Why do reporters ask the same or similar questions over and over and over again? Normally because at first people are reluctant to tell us things, but after you ask them three times they very well may decide to answer. If you don't persist, you won't get anything.

Some media entities do try to spin things a certain way, but honestly, it's not common practice. We try to look for different angles on everything, just to keep things fresh. And no matter what we do to any story, someone isn't going to be happy. We can do a story on how cute puppies are, but you're going to have some people call and scream "puppies are ugly and they should be rid of the earth!" That has happened! If a viewer is just personally against something and we do something that shows it in a positive light, they're going to be unhappy. So, no matter what we do someone isn't going to like it.

The media is basically around to INFORM people. If one of our stories inspires people to get out and do something on different issues, all the better! We do try to entertain at times, too. We're here to help our viewers in some cases, but we can't solve everyone's problems. In all of this, we are still a business. We sell advertising during our broadcasts and programs and we do want to get as much money as possible for them -- as any business wants to get top dollar for their product. Most (local)television news stations don't "create" news, but sadly, some try to....these stories are generally aired in February, May and November, our ratings periods that determine the amount of money we charge for advertising. When a station does a story they obviously created, the other stations in town do look down on them! We don't like those stories....they give the whole industry a bad name!

Please remember, we do do a lot of good things, too! We do help some people with their problems, we let you know about things going on in your community. We're you're little watch-dogs on the government. We uncover major problems...we find out that the Firestone tires that came with your Ford Explorer can kill you...we find out that DNA crime labs are contaminated and are convicting innocent people...we find out school districts are claiming they have no dropouts, increasing their funding costing taxpayers millions of dollars...we find out people are living on top of toxic dumps causing cancer in young children...we tell you a hurricane is coming....

So, you may not like everything we do, but please remember, without us everything would be a whole lot worse!

I'm not going to argue about this with anyone...this is basically all I'm going to say on the issue. Just wanted to give you a little perspective from the media's view....

Thank you!!!

You have just said, what I have been trying to say for the past 2 years on this forum when people start "media bashing". And... all in one post!!! *hugs you* Thanks! :) :wave:

DMC-12

Originally posted by mkt
n the words of the wise bard, Chris Rock...

"RUN! THE MEDIA IS COMING!!!!"

:rolleyes:

*chases after Rob*

*hides behind Corner*

*puts on big scary MEDIA hat*

*jumps in front of Rob*

BOO!!!!! Scary evil media comin to get you!!! *runs after Rob with a mic in one hand and note pad in the other* :lol: :p

PurpleFigment

No-Fly Zone

Dean --

The no-fly zone rules get kind of tricky when it comes to the media. I don't know the exact cases in the Los Angeles market, but quite often television stations can obtain general waivers to fly their choppers in areas designated as no-fly zones. These are normally requested so stations don't have to fly in a big circle on the way to breaking news. I don't know if any of the stations in Los Angeles have sucessfully obtained one of these waivers for the Disneyland area, but it is a possibility.

There are more likely possibilities, though. In the event of a tragedy like this, it's not totally unusual for media to receive temporary access to the usually restricted air space. Another possibility is that the authorities requested that media choppers get into the area to aid in their investigation (this is quite common).

Then, there's the one more scenario: they may not have been in the restricted area at all. It's amazing the kind of distance helicopter cameras can be at! The camera on my station's chopper can zero in on anything up to THREE MILES away! It's possible to read license plate numbers at that distance.

I don't know which scenario applies in this case, but those are some of the possibilities!

DMC --
Thanks! I figured I was going to get completely blasted about that! It's good to know there are more of us on this board. Since you're in Chicago, you know what I'm talking about.... I'm in a major market, too...it's tough being in this business getting blasted by regular folks AND management, ain't it!

CSOM

Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by DMC-12
Thank you!!!

You have just said, what I have been trying to say for the past 2 years on this forum when people start "media bashing". And... all in one post!!! *hugs you* Thanks! :) :wave:

You 2 are right. Media is only concerned with relating factual information,and they aren't giant corporations that ultimately just try to draw viewers/readers through any angle they can get by making their message seem more extreme so they can get more money for the stockholders.... :rolleyes:

DMC-12

Re: No-Fly Zone

There are more likely possibilities, though. In the event of a tragedy like this, it's not totally unusual for media to receive temporary access to the usually restricted air space. Another possibility is that the authorities requested that media choppers get into the area to aid in their investigation (this is quite common)

DMC --
Thanks! I figured I was going to get completely blasted about that! Good to know there are people out there that don't think we're evil!!!! :sohappy:

That is what I have had done in the past... say there is a bad accident over by O'Hare Airport, what happens is the pilot will call the tower, request to enter the class B airspace (restricted)... to get in... cover the incident... get your video, and get out. Not uncommon at all...

Hey... I am part of the team... I know we aint evil :lol: :)

DMC-12

Re: Re: Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

Originally posted by CSOM
You 2 are right. Media is only concerned with relating factual information,and they aren't giant corporations that ultimately just try to draw viewers/readers through any angle they can get by making their message seem more extreme so they can get more money for the stockholders.... :rolleyes:

You sound like an angry GE-NBC stockholder :rolleyes: lol :p

GaryT977

Re: ALL media NOT evil!!!!!!

I don't have a problem with reporters per se (in fact, I was a Journalism major at the University of Florida), but with the companies that control how things are edited, what is displayed to the public, and what stories are the most 'newsworthy' (somebody please explain to me why the Lacy Peterson case is a national story).

Fair and balanced indeed.

Put simply, I don't trust the mainstream American media at this point. I get my news from the BBC now.

PurpleFigment

DMC --

My guess is they got the temporary waiver. We get them all the time here...not too long ago we had a plane that encountered some major turbulance and a bunch of people were injured. We got GB Intercontinental Airport to let us in the space with just a phone call....we were even able to land there after our 5pm show so we'd be in the area for our 6. Got to hover directly over the plane for live shots! But at first they probably had to use the super zoom to while they were working with the tower! It's scary what those cameras can get...nose hairs three miles away!!!

DMC-12

It's scary what those cameras can get...nose hairs three miles away!!!

I know... I have worked with some of those WESCAM cameras
on the choppers, the tight zoom is amazing!

PurpleFigment

Gary --

If I knew why Laci's case gets so much attention I'd be a millionaire! I have NO IDEA why it's getting so much coverage. It's a sad story and all, but there's no reason for it to be the lead story on local station in some place like El Paso. I NEVER allowed it to be my lead....I buried it in the second or third block sometimes, but never a big long story on it. People think it's sad, but it doesn't affect everyone and it's not THAT interesting.

DMC --

:lol: :lol: GE Stockholder :lol: :lol: Brilliant! :lol: :lol:

GaryT977

Gary --

If I knew why Laci's case gets so much attention I'd be a millionaire!

I hate to be this cynical, but the only reason I can think of is that it sells papers. Didn't this kind of thing used to be the domain of papers like the National Enquirer?

dickieandsam

There is an element of risk with all aspects of life. Yes you pay your money to enter any theme park and believe you are safe and put your trust in others but you still make that choice to ride only the most niave person doesn't think, however fleetingly, that there is a risk. Ultimately its the individuals choice to put themselves at risk. Disney has a good safety record, no matter what the cause of the accident, one thing is for sure, safety checks will be carried out rigorously now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom