A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Mike S

Haven't some reports been saying that Star Lord makes some stupid quip about being able to see Disneyland from here?
Omg... :hilarious:... :(
What shortsighted snobbery.

So much of the proposed art/culture is the modern equivalent of the once considered frivolous art these reactionary opponents do embrace as legitimate art forms by now, such as operette, jazz, cinema.
Bah, few groups are more reactionary, petty, and narrow-minded as precisely those who claim to be their opposite, the liberal cultural elite.

Maybe Lucas can negotiate with London, Amsterdam or Berlin.... :geek:
He could try somewhere in Florida next :)

NearTheEars

Do we need a Cars 3? LOL. It's no different than them repeating the same plot from the first movie where Lightning is the newest hottest car in town ... wash rinse and repeat ....

LOVED the first film, tolerated the second. Really looking forward to this one, but hoping it's the last.
I don't see it as a rehash, more of him coming full circle. Plus it will be told from a different perspective since he's not the hotshot rookie anymore. But again, hopefully it's the final chapter.

ETA: I really like auto racing, so that's probably part of it.

Kman101

I liked the first one enough, it was pretty basic as far as story goes. But it was good. I'm a fan when stories come full circle which is what Cars 3 will do, but when it comes right down to it, it's basically a repeat of the first. Not necessarily trying to knock it, I'm hopeful it's better than the 2nd one, but it just seems to be a rehash, just told slightly different and you've been made to care about Lightning so it will have the effect intended. Just my personal opinion. Not that enthused for it. More excited for Incredibles II.

DDLand

Looks like dedication and Embargo have been lifted:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-kong-disneyland-on-january-11-300388410.html

Here are my thoughts...
Compromise. Compromise between 50 plus combinations and a tight story. Compromise between repeating an existing ride and creating a new one.

This is Hong Kong's Star Tours. I wouldn't be shocked if Star Tours had, at one point, been planned for the area. They didn't necessarily have to go and start fresh, but they did anyway. I think that's commendable. If you had told an audience in 2009 that the first park that would be launching a substantial Marvel Attraction would be Hong Kong, you'd probably be laughed out of the room. Back then it was a struggling mess getting itself out of a rut. Now it's in a far stronger place, launching an exclusive attraction that not even Disneyland can boast (they're getting the overlay).

Now Hong Kong Disneyland is facing far different challenges. Some outside of its control, like a weakening tourism market, but also competition from a new juggernaut. Equipped with the latest attraction technology and experiences one can hardly utter a word about Hong Kong without mentioning it's younger sibling, the behemoth. Shanghai Disneyland.

If you're expecting something that can reverse the growing dissatisfaction among mainland and other audiences with going to Hong Kong, Iron Man will disappoint. I don't know what could accomplish that. If you're expecting a match to the scope and sheer awe inducing power of Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Tresure, you'll have to look elsewhere. If you're expecting the silver bullet to all Hong Kong Disneyland's problems, this isn't it.

If on the other hand you're looking for a ride that takes you into the world of your favorite superheroes, this is it. If you want a spirited rethink of Star Tours, this is it. If you were looking for another piece in the puzzle to make Hong Kong Disneyland a compelling destination, this is it.

Plot: Everyone should have a basic understanding of the plot, if not it's easy enough to find out. Star Tours essentially threw off the burden of plot and decided to go strictly for eye candy. Sure there's a bit of "get the rebel spy to x," but the plot doesn't make any sense for even the most basic Star Wars fan as they break continuity over and over and is mostly forgotten. I would love to quiz the guests coming off of Star Tours on how many actually remember the point, and I doubt many could create a rational explanation. While I enjoy Star Tours tAC, it really is shooting for the lowest common denominator. Iron Man is more ambitious. While the scenes that take place are clearly based off Avengers 2012 and Iron Man 2, it's not just a best of moments. They took the time to create a narrative that actually explains what's going on and why you're being attacked. I think that's good.

I have seen some quips knocking it for some of its logic and how everything follows. I'd say it's just as logical as most Super Hero movies. What makes stealing an arc reactor that could power just about anything more crazy than launching three floating air craft carriers that are locked and ready to kill 40 Million people? Both require leaps in logic. If you don't like superhero movies, you may not love this plot. Though the same could be said of flying down the trench of a planet killing superweapon... ;)

In the end I find it a fun story that will keep you engaged.

Hong Kong: I have to commend their liberal use of beautiful Hong Kong. It really makes it their attraction. Setting it Hong Kong was brilliant. I actually preferred the streets of Hong Kong to a space port in Star Wars because I had actually just been to Hong Kong and it was almost like Soarin' in the vehicle.

The uniqueness puts Star Tours to shame.

Language: Their handling was brilliant. JARVIS spoke Cantonese, and Tony spoke English. When JARVIS gave critical information Tony would repeat it in English.

I thought that was clever and inclusive. Though I suppose for someone who knew both that could be bit a bothersome.

MCU: It's not a immediately clear this is set in the MCU. I'd actually lean not. I think a character who doesn't make it out of Winter Soldier appears, but it was hard to tell. At the very least it's based heavily on the MCU, with lots of little references and the Iook matching the films. I'm not sure what Kevin (who was at the grand opening) thinks.

Visuals: With any video keep in mind that in the ride you are wearing STARKVision (3D glasses), and any video is going to make it look like garbage. I thought the visuals looked good, though I wonder if they'll age well. There's already one scene that will need replacing soon.

In the end I like this better than Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. While mixing up is nice, it weakens the narrative. This has great visuals, a coherent plot, and fun pacing. The queue is also great and sets the stage for the ride. All in all this is a great addition to Hong Kong Disneyland.

One negative about this expansion is it makes Tomorrowland even more of a mess. With Seasons of the Forced In, Trials of Patience, Iron Man, Buzz, and the remaining space port setting it comes across as having an identity crisis. Which it is.

We'll see if the Marvel Land plans come to fruition.

So in the end this is no Silver Bullet, but it is a great and worthy addition. I think guests will love it.
IMG_0517.JPG

(Forgive the photo taken while walking)

Last edited:

BrianLo

Looks like dedication and Embargo have been lifted:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-kong-disneyland-on-january-11-300388410.html

Here are my thoughts...
Compromise. Compromise between 50 plus combinations and a tight story. Compromise between repeating an existing ride and creating a new one.

This is Hong Kong's Star Tours. I wouldn't be shocked if Star Tours had, at one point, been planned for the area. They didn't necessarily have to go and start fresh, but they did anyway. I think that's commendable. If you had told an audience in 2009 that the first park that would be launching a substantial Marvel Attraction would be Hong Kong, you'd probably be laughed out of the room. Back then it was a struggling mess getting itself out of a rut. Now it's in a far stronger place, launching an exclusive attraction that not even Disneyland can boast (they're getting the overlay).

Now Hong Kong Disneyland is facing far different challenges. Some outside of its control, like a weakening tourism market, but also competition from a new juggernaut. Equipped with the latest attraction technology and experiences one can hardly utter a word about Hong Kong without mentioning it's younger sibling, the behemoth. Shanghai Disneyland.

If you're expecting something that can reverse the growing dissatisfaction among mainland and other audiences with going to Hong Kong, Iron Man will disappoint. I don't know what could accomplish that. If you're expecting a match to the scope and sheer awe inducing power of Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Tresure, you'll have to look elsewhere. If you're expecting the silver bullet to all Hong Kong Disneyland's problems, this isn't it.

If on the other hand you're looking for a ride that takes you into the world of your favorite superheroes, this is it. If you want a spirited rethink of Star Tours, this is it. If you were looking for another piece in the puzzle to make Hong Kong Disneyland a compelling destination, this is it.

Plot: Everyone should have a basic understanding of the plot, if not it's easy enough to find out. Star Tours essentially threw off the burden of plot and decided to go strictly for eye candy. Sure there's a bit of "get the rebel spy to x," but the plot doesn't make any sense for even the most basic Star Wars fan as they break continuity over and over and is mostly forgotten. I would love to quiz the guests coming off of Star Tours on how many actually remember the point, and I doubt many could create a rational explanation. While I enjoy Star Tours tAC, it really is shooting for the lowest common denominator. Iron Man is more ambitious. While the scenes that take place are clearly based off Avengers 2012 and Iron Man 2, it's not just a best of moments. They took the time to create a narrative that actually explains what's going on and why you're being attacked. I think that's good.

I have seen some quips knocking it for some of its logic and how everything follows. I'd say it's just as logical as most Super Hero movies. What makes stealing an arc reactor that could power just about anything more crazy than launching three floating air craft carriers that are locked and ready to kill 40 Million people? Both require leaps in logic. If you don't like superhero movies, you may not love this plot. Though the same could be said of flying down the trench of a planet killing superweapon... ;)

In the end I find it a fun story that will keep you engaged.

Hong Kong: I have to commend their liberal use of beautiful Hong Kong. It really makes it their attraction. Setting it Hong Kong was brilliant. I actually preferred the streets of Hong Kong to a space port in Star Wars because I had actually just been to Hong Kong and it was almost like Soarin' in the vehicle.

The uniqueness puts Star Tours to shame.

Language: Their handling was brilliant. JARVIS spoke Cantonese, and Tony spoke English. When JARVIS gave critical information Tony would repeat it in English.

I thought that was clever and inclusive. Though I suppose for someone who knew both that could be bit a bothersome.

MCU: It's not a immediately clear this is set in the MCU. I'd actually lean not. I think a character who doesn't make it out of Winter Soldier appears, but it was hard to tell. At the very least it's based heavily on the MCU, with lots of little references and the Iook matching the films. I'm not sure what Kevin (who was at the grand opening) thinks.

Visuals: With any video keep in mind that in the ride you are wearing STARKVision (3D glasses), and any video is going to make it look like garbage. I thought the visuals looked good, though I wonder if they'll age well. There's already one scene that will need replacing soon.

In the end I like this better than Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. While mixing up is nice, it weakens the narrative. This has great visuals, a coherent plot, and fun pacing. The queue is also great and sets the stage for the ride. All in all this is a great addition to Hong Kong Disneyland.

One negative about this expansion is it makes Tomorrowland even more of a mess. With Seasons of the Forced In, Trials of Patience, Iron Man, Buzz, and the remaining space port setting it comes across as having an identity crisis. Which it is.

We'll see if the Marvel Land plans come to fruition.

So in the end this is no Silver Bullet, but it is a great and worthy addition. I think guests will love it.
View attachment 183938
(Forgive the photo taken while walking)

Thanks for the awesome (and extensive) review!

Cesar R M

LOVED the first film, tolerated the second. Really looking forward to this one, but hoping it's the last.
I don't see it as a rehash, more of him coming full circle. Plus it will be told from a different perspective since he's not the hotshot rookie anymore. But again, hopefully it's the final chapter.

ETA: I really like auto racing, so that's probably part of it.
I'm in a similar level as you. Liked the first.. hated the second..
And I sorta liked Planes 1 and 2 better than cars 2(the spy thing is overused to death).

Now, I wonder if the third movie will have a similar feel on how Doc and The King felt before retiring.

Disney Analyst

Latest MiceAge Update is saying that Disneyland has a much different strategy for the Cabana's. They are looking at unused rooftops, balconies and things, to integrate them all over the park up and out of the way.

TDA is crafting their own cabana concept at a slower pace, but so far TDA planners insist the cabana concept be elevated both literally and figuratively. Instead of cheap tents plopped down in common areas, TDA planners are scoping out unused areas on rooftops and upper floors in both parks to convert into private spaces for rent. Imagine a vintner themed studio space on the Golden Vine Winery’s upstairs terrace, a mod hipster pad worthy of a painting on the Innoventions balcony, or an explorer themed jungle viewing platform on the second floor above Adventureland’s shops.

Last edited:

MKCP 1985

Any buyer's remorse yet over killing the Tower of Terror idea at DCA?

The crowds for its final days will be memories the collector can put on his shelf right next to 20K Nautilus subs, Mr Toad's Wild Ride at WDW, the Adventurers Club at Pleasure Island and what, Horizons at Epcot Center?

Although to be historically accurate, I'm not certain Mr Toad or 20K got a big sendoff as they may have been assasinated without due advance notice.

brb1006

If anything... this move means never trust 'forever' :) Since it was already promoted as never returning at DL... and yet.. here we are :)
At least Disneyland gave an end date for MSEP unlike WDW where it lasted for over 6 years when it was originally going to run for the Summer of 2010.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom