A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

AEfx

I think @WDW1974 already mentioned a few other things on Iger's intentions.
From legacy (aka putting himself on the "greats" as Walt Disney or Roy Disney). To pure money (aka to retire from Disney, get his hefty check.. and then run for politics or an even bigger company.. hell, or even retire)

I think you may be confusing him with the disgraced former CEO, Eisner. In fact, entire books have been written about it. ;)

AEfx

I wonder how many here do it for pixie dust or outright monetary reasons.

And conversely, I wonder how many people who may disagree with something being done, can't do it without crying and screaming and having fits of rage, throwing irrational hate around, year after year, unable to entertain any rational thought on a topic, do so because they are actually just ticked off they can never return to their youth, just like Disney can't.

Mike S

Just wow. Some needed TLC? Yes. Drastically changed or removed? No.
G0EXD.gif
Yeah. Every time I see CBJ the crowd loves it. Bring it back to its original length, put in new AAs, and bring back the seasonal shows and all will be right with the world.
I believe stagnation occurs or specifically, perceived to occur, when something, an idea, a style, or anything of implied value both as entertainment or necessity, becomes irrelevant and or marginalized due to its antiquated sensibilities or general lack of impact or interest. ToT suffers none of these things, it is, has always been, considered by fans, both serious and casual, a considerable achievement. I don't need to illustrate to those here its theme, it's impact, the draw it commands (irrelevant of the reduction in attractions) and it's universal recognition. Change, for the sake of change, is neither wise or warranted. It's a fools ambition to tear down those things that work, that work exceedingly well, to satisfy the shareholders dream of more profit, more wealth, more brand exposure, at the expense of legacy, and the expense of disenfranchising those who CARE, both within and without. All the business reasons laid out are valid and sound, no doubt I'm sure. But, I don't see or interpret things that way, it's not how I process what I see as somehow separate from that cold, hard cash of reality. It's a naive and simple belief that things that are beloved, without question, should be forced to make way for what appears to be a vulgar and boorish attempt gain more in the way of profit. Perhaps it's simply because I feel as if I have to make way for those things, that I'm marginalized. Things change, life changes, old makes way for the new, but, in this "magical" land of Disney, if those two things cannot exist, side by side, then where? ToT and it's potential fate is a symptom of a far greater problem I'm afraid.

It's been awhile since I've posted, a bit of that "change" going on, so I apologize for my somewhat dramatic expression of distaste, things I love and care about disappear more often than I'd like.
Exactly on point. My father, who doesn't really care about Disney and mostly went because of the time he was spending with us, joined me and my sister on a recent trip. His first in years. When we went to Tower of Terror he could not shut up about the theming. I was surprised to say the least.

Take that little antecdote as you will.
I still remember when "The Thick" was here. He would go on defending disney 24/7.. but he later revealed his main drive was money.. as he owned stock.
I wonder how many here do it for pixie dust or outright monetary reasons.
He's still around. He pretends to be a Universal insider :rolleyes:
I think you may be confusing him with the disgraced former CEO, Eisner. In fact, entire books have been written about it. ;)
Well, he hasn't exactly cleaned up the whole mess that was left behind and one could argue made all new ones.

Castle Cake Apologist

And conversely, I wonder how many people who may disagree with something being done, can't do it without crying and screaming and having fits of rage, throwing irrational hate around, year after year, unable to entertain any rational thought on a topic, do so because they are actually just ticked off they can never return to their youth, just like Disney can't.

What I'm not fully understanding about you posting this same thought over and over in here is that I've yet to see anybody doing these things in this thread. People are entitled to be upset that Disney is considering closing an incredibly popular attraction to shoehorn something into it that doesn't add to the experience. I've yet to see you or the two other people in here who think this is a good idea explain rationally why it's a good idea. Why is closing one of the most popular attractions in the park the best choice? Literally all I've done is ask for justification and yet none of you seem able to give it, other than saying that the parks should not be left stagnant. I'd hardly say that's a valid point, considering (again) that this is regarding one of the most popular and iconic attractions in the entire resort. Tower of Terror is not stagnant by any stretch of the imagination.

Magenta Panther

What I'm not fully understanding about you posting this same thought over and over in here is that I've yet to see anybody doing these things in this thread. People are entitled to be upset that Disney is considering closing an incredibly popular attraction to shoehorn something into it that doesn't add to the experience. I've yet to see you or the two other people in here who think this is a good idea explain rationally why it's a good idea. Why is closing one of the most popular attractions in the park the best choice? Literally all I've done is ask for justification and yet none of you seem able to give it, other than saying that the parks should not be left stagnant. I'd hardly say that's a valid point, considering (again) that this is regarding one of the most popular and iconic attractions in the entire resort. Tower of Terror is not stagnant by any stretch of the imagination.

Worse is when they quote Walt's comment about "Disneyland will never be finished/Disneyland isn't a museum", as if that justifies poor choices based on greed.

spacemt354

Chili's
Where has this been? I could see this argument being made for a tiny change that only hardcore fans care about and throwing fits, but I'm pretty sure the majority of people visiting WDW, even nonchalant fans...enjoy Tower of Terror.

So....if it's being replaced, yeah, that is a big deal, and being upset would seem pretty rational to me.

Magenta Panther

Now, look at plans for adding GotG to EPCOT at a cost that would make RSRs look cheap by comparison.

Then why don't they do what they usually do when the cost of building an attraction gets too high and start cutting corners?

I'm certainly not questioning your veracity or your track record, but Chapek's purported delight in the heightened sales of DCA's ToT merchandise when the Guardian makeover was announced is a pretty screwy reason for him to want to do the same thing to DHS' Tower. Maybe he's just that vile and greedy and manipulative, I don't know. If he is, then...man, and I thought Iger was the flip side of Walt. Chapek's got him beat. He's a stupid man who thinks he's savvy. The bubble's going to burst on these guys someday, and I hope it's soon, before they can do even more damage. Although I pity the guy who comes after them who has to clean up their mess...

Castle Cake Apologist

Where has this been? I could see this argument being made for a tiny change that only hardcore fans care about and throwing fits, but I'm pretty sure the majority of people visiting WDW, even nonchalant fans...enjoy Tower of Terror.

So....if it's being replaced, yeah, that is a big deal, and being upset would seem pretty rational to me.

Careful. You'll be seen as throwing a fit! ;)

AEfx

1) I haven't made many of the arguments you are assigning to me. I actually would prefer they leave ToT how it is. However, that does not preclude me from understanding that the reasons why may just be more complex than "Bob Iger wakes up every day looking for ways to terrorize us!" And I'm sorry, people that post things like "I went to bed so upset last night and when I got up it was all I could think about!" need some help.

2) I am on a mobile device right now, and don't have the time to copy/paste, but if you have read this thread and can't see how many crazy, irrational things have been posted about Iger in particular in this thread, you are lying to yourself.

3) Given that Twilight Zone is being rebooted, and apparently there is some agreement up for renewal soon - I think there is more to this than "Bob Iger is trying to ruin lives!" I don't see Disney spending the money to do it unless they have another reason. Maybe the cost was going to go up. Maybe it was expiring on the other parks (which have different deals) leading them to just to be done with the franchise everywhere. Who knows. But I just think it's more than Bob Iger's ego and plenty of evidence suggests it.

4) On a side note, given that our insiders cannot even agree on the veracity of where GoG is going, it actually has me thinking that Disney is on a great big mole hunt by putting various bits of info around to see who the leakers are.

In any case, although I don't have the deep love for ToT that many seem to (the first time I rode it after hearing it built up for years I was like, that was it?) I still would prefer it to stay. I thought GoG was a good film but didn't love it. But, just because I'm not leaping to conclusions about Disney executives wanting to ruin my life, and I can see a lot of factors going into such a decision, doesn't meant it's something I support.

I also know that no one here can do a tinkers darn about it, so I save my angst for things that actually aren't out of everyone's control.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There certainly is conflicting information.

I'm not after glory, and I'm certainly not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint. I'm just a messenger but one whom only says what he believes. Neither 74 nor myself chase wild fantasies. You all know that. His record speaks for itself. The SWL changes, time and time again, show how often and by how much plans can and do change. Have they done this time? Possibly. I know of budget issues and alterations regarding the Energy project. But that seems to be par for the course.

There is of course the sickening possibility Guardians is aiming for both the Tower AND Energy.

Last edited:

matt9112

Back in the United State of Brexit England.

I'm told as of very very very very very recent Guardians is green lit for the Energy building.

To play devils advoocate here what are the chances you and spirit are both right and they want it in both parks?

Nickels5

Sorry, but your subjective opinion is flat wrong. Subjectively speaking.

I watched three videos of the Tokyo version and it is fantastic. Can't wait for the DL version. Perhaps every tower will get its own IP. Except TZ apparently.
Watching only a video of the rides makes your opinion invalid. You need to physically experience the ride to truely grasp the theme and thrill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom