A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

FigmentJedi

San Frantokyo sounds like a weird future where the Japanese had won the WW2 war.. and Tokyo was destroyed by a quake (thus all tech hub moved to San Francisco).
It's actually a world where Japanese immigrants spearheaded the reconstruction of San Francisco after the 1908 Earthquake. The blend of architectural styles lead to the mashup name.

Nickels5

There certainly is conflicting information.

I'm not after glory, and I'm certainly not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint. I'm just a messenger but one whom only says what he believes. Neither 74 nor myself chase wild fantasies. You all know that. His record speaks for itself. The SWL changes, time and time again, show how often and by how much plans can and do change. Have they done this time? Possibly. I know of budget issues and alterations regarding the Energy project. But that seems to be par for the course.

There is of course the sickening possibility Guardians is aiming for both the Tower AND Energy.
Correct me if I am wrong but is there any IP that is represented by two rides in two different parks? I know there is rides and shows of IPs in different parks but I cannot think of any that has two rides?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Correct me if I am wrong but is there any IP that is represented by two rides in two different parks? I know there is rides and shows of IPs in different parks but I cannot think of any that has two rides?

I think the idea of entertaining this 'sickening possibility' is more an expression of frustration of not knowing -- and seemingly Disney themselves not knowing --how they're going to get GotG into one of the parks rather than a possibility that actually has almost no chance of happening. You're right that there aren't two rides with the same IP (unless you count TSMM and Buzz), even though there are IPs with a ride and a show (Little Mermaid) or two shows (Tales with Belle, BatB show).

It seems Disney wants a Superhero (GotG, Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Big Hero 6, Incredibles) Land somewhere. Re-skinning is easier than building. RnRC and ToT are not Disney IPs. So... that becomes the prime target.

But they also seem to want to replace Ellen's with... something. And why not make that something a GotG ride? But... that wouldn't work to become a Superhero Land.

Thus the back and forth. Doing both is very unlikely.

spacemt354

Chili's
Toy Story has TSMM and Buzz

Other than that all I can think of are shows/ride combos...such as Nemo in Epcot and DAK. Beauty and the Beast in MK and DHS.

Mike S

Then why don't they do what they usually do when the cost of building an attraction gets too high and start cutting corners?

I'm certainly not questioning your veracity or your track record, but Chapek's purported delight in the heightened sales of DCA's ToT merchandise when the Guardian makeover was announced is a pretty screwy reason for him to want to do the same thing to DHS' Tower. Maybe he's just that vile and greedy and manipulative, I don't know. If he is, then...man, and I thought Iger was the flip side of Walt. Chapek's got him beat. He's a stupid man who thinks he's savvy. The bubble's going to burst on these guys someday, and I hope it's soon, before they can do even more damage. Although I pity the guy who comes after them who has to clean up their mess...
Sadly there won't be a burst. Star Wars Land will make sure of that. Sometimes a burst and big failure is the best thing to get a company back on track but I don't think it'll be happening for Disney. We'll have Avatar and Star Wars as the only outliers and then brain dead decision after brain dead decision with rube after rube gobbling it all up.

AEfx

Sadly there won't be a burst. Star Wars Land will make sure of that. Sometimes a burst and big failure is the best thing to get a company back on track but I don't think it'll be happening for Disney. We'll have Avatar and Star Wars as the only outliers and then brain dead decision after brain dead decision with rube after rube gobbling it all up.

But...

'member The Millenium Falcon?
'member AT-ATs?
'member??
'member Jabba the Hutt?
'member Jawas?
'member?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The question is, are they swinging for the fences with Avatar Land and SWL? Are they really going to try and blow us away, or will it be simply a little more effort than they put into FLE? I know some people here hail FLE as something amazing, which it is not. Thats not saying its horrible, but it wasnt a game changer by any stretch. I will no longer be deceived by artist concepts.

My fear with current mgmt is that they feel the cosmetic value outweighs the overall experience. Make it look pretty, throw in a dining experience or two, a spinner and a D ticket and they think thats all there is too it. Its as if everything is done mathematically and generated by a computers data nowadays. Not saying they should ignore data but it should be far from the primary motivator.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The question is, are they swinging for the fences with Avatar Land and SWL? Are they really going to try and blow us away, or will it be simply a little more effort than they put into FLE? I know some people here hail FLE as something amazing, which it is not. Thats not saying its horrible, but it wasnt a game changer by any stretch. I will no longer be deceived by artist concepts.

My fear with current mgmt is that they feel the cosmetic value outweighs the overall experience. Make it look pretty, throw in a dining experience or two, a spinner and a D ticket and they think thats all there is too it. Its as if everything is done mathematically and generated by a computers data nowadays. Not saying they should ignore data but it should be far from the primary motivator.
Both will be stunning lands. And they should be given their cost and overruns. The attractions at opening (particularly SWL) should rank as some of the best experiences. But both will desperately need more attractions than what's on offer.

Last edited:

Mike S

I get where you're coming from but Avatar does have James Cameron behind it who is probably worse than J.K. Rowling when it comes to demands of perfection. He won't let his baby be NFL part 2. Then we have Star Wars with Bob Iger and the BoD behind it demanding that it be amazing. Remember that they shot down the cheap and unimpressive "X-Wing Spinner" version. Completely understandable since the LucasFilm purchase seems to be Iger's baby (sorry Marvel...).

Quinnmac000

I get where you're coming from but Avatar does have James Cameron behind who is probably worse than J.K. Rowling when it comes to demands of perfection. He won't let his baby be NFL part 2. Then we have Star Wars with Bob Iger and the BoD behind it demanding that it be amazing. Remember that they shor down the cheap and unimpressive "X-Wing Spinner" version. Completely understandable since the LucasFilm purchase seems to be Iger's baby (sorry Marvel...).

That's why he rejected Universal, per insiders on OU and other articles as they were just going to replace Terminator with Avatar and not build a land and James Cameron threw a fit as he wanted a full fledge land like Potter. But in the end, I think no matter how physical impressive the land may be, it won't justify the cost overruns and the level of maintenance and the rampant theft of the glowing plants in the parks.

SorcererMC

1) I haven't made many of the arguments you are assigning to me. I actually would prefer they leave ToT how it is. However, that does not preclude me from understanding that the reasons why may just be more complex than "Bob Iger wakes up every day looking for ways to terrorize us!" And I'm sorry, people that post things like "I went to bed so upset last night and when I got up it was all I could think about!" need some help.

2) I am on a mobile device right now, and don't have the time to copy/paste, but if you have read this thread and can't see how many crazy, irrational things have been posted about Iger in particular in this thread, you are lying to yourself.

3) Given that Twilight Zone is being rebooted, and apparently there is some agreement up for renewal soon - I think there is more to this than "Bob Iger is trying to ruin lives!" I don't see Disney spending the money to do it unless they have another reason. Maybe the cost was going to go up. Maybe it was expiring on the other parks (which have different deals) leading them to just to be done with the franchise everywhere. Who knows. But I just think it's more than Bob Iger's ego and plenty of evidence suggests it.

4) On a side note, given that our insiders cannot even agree on the veracity of where GoG is going, it actually has me thinking that Disney is on a great big mole hunt by putting various bits of info around to see who the leakers are.

In any case, although I don't have the deep love for ToT that many seem to (the first time I rode it after hearing it built up for years I was like, that was it?) I still would prefer it to stay. I thought GoG was a good film but didn't love it. But, just because I'm not leaping to conclusions about Disney executives wanting to ruin my life, and I can see a lot of factors going into such a decision, doesn't meant it's something I support.

I also know that no one here can do a tinkers darn about it, so I save my angst for things that actually aren't out of everyone's control.

This is riddled with straw man arguments. Please stop. It's fine if you are indifferent to ToT being changed, many here are not, for understandable reasons I think; it is oversimplifying to say it is 'nostalgia' and 'Iger-hate'. ToT is arguably the pinnacle of WDW attractions made in the past 20+ years - that seems to be the main objection to these plans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom