A Spirited Perfect Ten

britain

I'm predicting a Grizzly River Rapids type of attraction replacing the back half of Tom Sawyer Island. The only reason they'd go with a non-IP attraction is if operationally they really want the expansion regardless.

It's possible that it was once proposed as a Lone Ranger attraction, but operationally it's still a beneficial addition without that particular theme. (Like how Test Track 2 was going to be more explicitly Tron related than what we got.)

I can imagine that they may pass off possible negatives (perhaps a permanent docking of the steamboat and building bridges over to the island) as worth the trade off for a richly themed attraction.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not sure, @whylightbulb is a pretty reliable source. Not going to read anything into whats going to happen other than add it to the list of things that seem likely, once we get another source to back it up.

And for those keeping track.... this is whats likely.

DHS: (2.8B)
Star Wars
Pixar
Parking Garage/Infrastructure

Epcot: (350m)
Illuminations replacement/overhaul (so says @marni1971 & @WDW1974)

MK: (350m)
Frontierland expansion waiting to be verified. (On-again, off again for many years per Martin... so wait and see)
I assume the EPCOT plan doesn't just include Illuminations, we simply don't yet know where the rest of the cash is going right? Couldn't fathom them spending all $350mil just for an update for an existing fireworks show.

Very interested in the Frontierland rumors, I am exceedingly curious as to the details. Since whylightbulb is spilling the beans here, here's the topic he posted back near the end of 2012 about a Frontierland expansion-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frontierland-makeover.856151/

Though @marni1971 said that the current plan is NOT to have a WRE ride. Unless Martin meant they weren't building it exactly like the original, but it could be similar. Though his comment makes it sound like it won't be anything like WRE at all.

Anyways, hopes and dreams for the Frontierland stuff-
- Please not another off-the-shelf circular raft ride (though I wouldn't put it past them given that Shanghai is supposedly getting one for their "Frontierland")
- Hopefully something original, at least something appropriate and not a cartoony ride (guessing Lone Ranger isn't an option given how it was such a flop critically and financially, I would hope they wouldn't milk Toy Story any drier)
- Please don't close anything to build this, there's PLENTY of unused land at Frontierland without having to lose anything. Getting very tired of "expansions" that aren't actually expansions, but repurposing of existing capacity/attractions

Personal interest, but I hope this experience has detail and is relatively lengthy. I'm not expecting an exact replica of WRE (wouldn't complain of course), but I do think a ride similar to that would be a great thing. Frontierland has two thrill rides right next to one another, it would be nice to have something a bit calmer for the area. I appreciate thrills at times, but I love calmer (and longer) rides that rely on detail and immersion. Magic Kingdom could also use another efficient and high capacity ride like POTC.

It's interesting to hear that whylightbulb thinks CBJ's seasonal overlays could return, shocking actually. It would be awesome if they'd bring back Diamond Horseshoe Revue/Jamboree (the actual show itself, not just opening up the area for dining). Any possibility of that @whylightbulb or anyone else?

PhotoDave219

I assume the EPCOT plan doesn't just include Illuminations, we simply don't yet know where the rest of the cash is going right? Couldn't fathom them spending all $350mil just for an update for an existing fireworks show.

Very interested in the Frontierland rumors, I am exceedingly curious as to the details. Since whylightbulb is spilling the beans here, here's the topic he posted back near the end of 2012 about a Frontierland expansion-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frontierland-makeover.856151/

Though @marni1971 said that the current plan is NOT to have a WRE ride. Unless Martin meant they weren't building it exactly like the original, but it could be similar. Though his comment makes it sound like it won't be anything like WRE at all.

Anyways, hopes and dreams for the Frontierland stuff-
- Please not another off-the-shelf circular raft ride (though I wouldn't put it past them given that Shanghai is supposedly getting one for their "Frontierland")
- Hopefully something original, at least something appropriate and not a cartoony ride (guessing Lone Ranger isn't an option given how it was such a flop critically and financially, I would hope they wouldn't milk Toy Story any drier)
- Please don't close anything to build this, there's PLENTY of unused land at Frontierland without having to lose anything. Getting very tired of "expansions" that aren't actually expansions, but repurposing of existing capacity/attractions

Personal interest, but I hope this experience has detail and is relatively lengthy. I'm not expecting an exact replica of WRE (wouldn't complain of course), but I do think a ride similar to that would be a great thing. Frontierland has two thrill rides right next to one another, it would be nice to have something a bit calmer for the area. I appreciate thrills at times, but I love calmer (and longer) rides that rely on detail and immersion. Magic Kingdom could also use another efficient and high capacity ride like POTC.

It's interesting to hear that whylightbulb thinks CBJ's seasonal overlays could return, shocking actually. It would be awesome if they'd bring back Diamond Horseshoe Revue/Jamboree (the actual show itself, not just opening up the area for dining). Any possibility of that @whylightbulb or anyone else?

Oh I'm just going with what we know so far......

Cody5294

Why do you want Figment to die?
I've never ridden the original Imagination attraction so I have no attachment to Figment. I understand his importance though to Epcots history but if they can't get redo the ride right for a third time then it's time to move on. Maybe they can incorporate Figment into a Inside Out ride

BrianLo

Lost River Expedition falls under the umbrella of Adventureland. There will be no Frontierland in SDL, naturally it was deemed too American.

I also don't think it screams off the shelf. The ride track is another step up in size from Grizzly River Run and includes a large show building to boot. More like the baby of Grizzly River Run and Splash Mountain. Or Jurassic River Adventure in Singapore.

Disney seems to be shying away from cloning headliners between parks so I'd venture a guess that it is unlikely the concept we will be seeing in MK.

MerlinTheGoat

Lost River Expedition falls under the umbrella of Adventureland. There will be no Frontierland in SDL, naturally it was deemed too American.

I also don't think it screams off the shelf. The ride track is another step up in size from Grizzly River Run and includes a large show building to boot. More like the baby of Grizzly River Run and Splash Mountain. Or Jurassic River Adventure in Singapore.

Disney seems to be shying away from cloning headliners between parks so I'd venture a guess that it is unlikely the concept we will be seeing in MK.

The circular raft ride is still a relatively unpleasant and disorienting ride system, regardless of what sort of show scenes they add to it. There are some rides that use the system that have nicely done scenery and such, but even the best variants i still think would be better rides if they opted for a more tradition boat ride.

Frontierland already has a ride you can get soaked on, so I hope you're right that we won't get a variant of this.

BrianLo

The circular raft ride is still a relatively unpleasant and disorienting ride system, regardless of what sort of show scenes they add to it. There are some rides that use the system that have nicely done scenery and such, but even the best variants i still think would be better rides if they opted for a more tradition boat ride.

Yes, I'm hopeful the large show building is lazy-river type speeds to properly enjoy the show scenes, before returning to the rapids again.

Ironace

I've never ridden the original Imagination attraction so I have no attachment to Figment. I understand his importance though to Epcots history but if they can't get redo the ride right for a third time then it's time to move on. Maybe they can incorporate Figment into a Inside Out ride
inside out should be a redo of cranium command. to me makes more sence, not to mention the comic for figment could keep it relavent, it could be redone and redone right with the right leadership.(figment that is)

doctornick

"When Can I See You Again" was only played over end credits of Wreck-It Ralph, whereas "You've Got A Friend In Me" is actually in the movie. It's more like including Raven Symone's "Superstition" over a Haunted Mansion float -- yeah, you can, but maybe don't?

Intelligence is knowing a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I'm not sure I get your point. Yes, "When Can I see You Again" is just during the credits but it's not like it's just playing with words on the screen -- there's actually additional animation/scenes during the time (fun ones in fact). Also, the song was AFAIK made specifically for the film. It's not exactly a song I would expect to hear anywhere, but if I were at Disney and they played "When Can I see You Again" I would immediately think of WIR. It's basically the theme song of the movie, much like "You've Got a Friend in Me" was for Toy Story. It's certainly different than many "Disney songs" because it's a synthesizer pop song but I think it actually goes quick well with the generally upbeat music of a light parade.

Certainly, I'm sensitive to the issue since my kids love WIR and dancing to "When Can I see You Again" is one of our "things" we always do when we watch the movie. I'd love to see it used in the parks (well, I'd love Wreck It Ralph to be used in general).

whylightbulb

Hmmm I'm guessing there is a good chance tom sawyer island will be going bye bye for this new E ticket.....
Many times the reason I don't go into a lot of detail when "spilling the beans" is because those details have not yet been decided and firmed up. The many reason is usually to avoid being caught or getting others in trouble. In this case I can say TSI is up in the air as of now. There is a plan to get rid of it and a plan to "upgrade" it.

Cesar R M

Looks like I did. Dammit.
SWwTvSq.gif

Cheers for taking one for the team dave!

whylightbulb

They all need work. Just this rumor is out of left field. Not going to get my hopes up. Would love to see it but just not feeling it.
Two years ago when we first broke the news it was out of left field. Now it is more than that and on the verge of getting the final green light. Could it end up getting canceled? Sure but that's the risk of posting this kind of information. As a few well known and respected posters on this thread will tell you, I don't reveal something unless either I'm personally involved in the project or close work associates are involved. If I believe there is danger of my identity being revealed I'll break the news to someone on here that I trust not to post until it is safe. It doesn't guarantee the project will be completed but it is as accurate as you will get regarding current plans as of that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom