A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone else read this from Bloomberg (and why Bloomberg?):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sneyland-is-customized-for-the-chinese-family

One quote I enjoyed: “We’re building something that’s authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese,” Disney Chairman Robert Iger says. “It definitely will be Disneyland in China, but we’ll obviously be respectful of the Chinese culture and relatable to the people of China.”

I could puke everytime Iger recites the same line. You'd think Zenia Mucha could get a few new lines approved by Beijing for Iger to say!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Beyond broadcasting sporting events I think ESPN might be in trouble. Not the type of trouble where they go away, but enough where the public will notice fundamental changes.

I don't. But I don't feel like discussing my reasons.

It's sorta like being told for the last two decades that broadcast networks were going to die (then in the last 6-7 years I've had Milennials add cablers to the line too). It's not happening.

And ESPN has a very rosy future ahead of it. I just wish we could have the ESPN of 1979-1999 when they did amazing work and weren't so self-reverential and making themselves part of every story. But that's my only two cents on that subject right now.

PhotoDave219

Whether it's ESPN (what y'all were talking about) or any other division, what you need to understand is Disney is making more money than it ever has, quarter after quarter, year after year. And no matter whether Disney does this, just is very profitable, breaks even or loses money, it always is the same: CUT, CUT and, oh yeah, CUT MORE!

That's simply bastardized 21st century American capitalism ... no matter how much you make, it is never enough ... and you never put the money back into your workers pockets or even invest in the company, you just look to improve the margins even more. It's insane and we've been conditioned to believe that it's the right way of doing business. It isn't. What it is is giving us all the business! (without buying dinner first!)

I feel bad for an old college buddy who just got picked up by that four-letter network.... Hope they know what theyre in for.

WDW1974

Original Poster
They probably should have applied the screws a couple of years ago, but at least they are doing it now before there is a major crisis. The analysts are going to applaud these reductions and cost control measures and push the stock to $120, just because they applied some common sense.

The analysts would love it if Disney cut 20% of its workforce across the board, ya know?

The analysts would love if Disney sold off half its assets, including P&R or a chunk of them, ya know?

The analysts would love if Disney could get crystal meth classified as Pixie Dust and sell it and hook millions of people, ya know?

In other words, analysts don't care about anything beyond what a company is making now, what they will make next quarter and what they'll make for the year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Who says @WDW1974 makes up all his information?

Bob Iger - New Shanghai Info in "a week or so".

New SDL Fantasyland concept art. Not totally sure where this originates, the treasure trail leads back to "This is Mr B" a Chinese Disney website.

11052517_502911103190817_5399025750460975238_n.jpg

To be fair, I only make up 91.6% of my info. The rest? I steal it.

And the above simply came from the teaser video that Disney has put out for next week's media event, which was planned quite a while ago ... I became aware of it in February.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I understand. I do tend to speculate/dream too much haha. He only mentions Cars Land lite, Star Wars Land, a possible Muppets mini-land, and a Toontown-esque playland by TSMM. Plus some love for GMR/B&TB

I only brought it up because I was curious if there's any real truth. I know you and the other insiders have said you haven't heard specifics, so I'm hesitant to buy what this guy is saying.

Most of it makes sense, but I don't know if he's plausible or not. Would it mesh with the info you all have heard?

Some of that is accurate.. Some is likely. Some is next to impossible. And some is flat out BS. ... And, no, I won't go point by point. This is the Internet where anyone can say anything so having a random Micechatter's ramblings isn't worth the time it took you to read them and move them here.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Once again Walt Disney Worlds Electrical Parade is put to shame! The updated Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade Dreamlights recently debuted and the additions look spectacular. One could only hope Disney World gets these upgrades one day, although I would think most of the parade floats would have to be completely replaced :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, this is the FOURTH update/upgrade the parade has received since debuting 15 years ago. In other words, it is almost always being plussed.

Compare that to a WDW parade that has 1970s written all over it. Beyond embarrassing and, no, Spectromagic (which shouldn't have been left to rot!) wasn't the answer either.

I saw on the Twitter that @WDWFigment stayed in Tokyo long enough to see it. Hopefully, he'll drop in with his thoughts since he's the only one I know who has seen both the last version of Dreamlights, the new one, the HKDL version of Paint the Night and the new DL version.

PhotoDave219

Some of that is accurate.. Some is likely. Some is next to impossible. And some is flat out BS. ... And, no, I won't go point by point. This is the Internet where anyone can say anything so having a random Micechatter's ramblings isn't worth the time it took you to read them and move them here.

Accurate in that Yes, There is a Walt Disney World, and Yes there is a Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Yes Star Wars and Pixar are coming, and Yes it will be done in Phases....

WDW1974

Original Poster
How much did Inside Out do opening weekend? $90.4m?

I would say Minions, projected for a $117m opening weekend, is not so bad.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/

Numbers, though, do not prove quality of anything. From the Transformers and Fast and Furious films to Walmart or McDonald's ... DM was a wonderful movie. Just all around fun with heart. The second film was less than. Considerably so. I'm going to see Minions, but I hope it's more of the first and less of the second.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really do have a boatload of respect for Z. She has some serious juice in this industry and is a master at her craft.

If only the other executives were as good at their jobs....

Edit: JFB & her doctorate and her choice of apparel could learn one hell of a lot from Ms. Mucha.

Well, just look at Z's background and where she came from. She is the definition of a cutthroat and she will do any/every thing to protect her queen (in this case, that would be Bob!)

PhotoDave219

Well, just look at Z's background and where she came from. She is the definition of a cutthroat and she will do any/every thing to protect her queen (in this case, that would be Bob!)

I've heard that of her. Can't knock her from trying to deflect all the China talk by getting the Iger canonization pieces out there... also helps the stock price. Plus, when the other shoe finally drops in china, it wont look so bad to Wall Street because look at what else Bob has done... Its a darn masters class in spin that Karl Rove could learn from.

brb1006

Just to be clear, this is the FOURTH update/upgrade the parade has received since debuting 15 years ago. In other words, it is almost always being plussed.

Compare that to a WDW parade that has 1970s written all over it. Beyond embarrassing and, no, Spectromagic (which shouldn't have been left to rot!) wasn't the answer either.

I saw on the Twitter that @WDWFigment stayed in Tokyo long enough to see it. Hopefully, he'll drop in with his thoughts since he's the only one I know who has seen both the last version of Dreamlights, the new one, the HKDL version of Paint the Night and the new DL version.
I really love the Christmas edition to Dreamlights. The only electrical parade that also did that was the MSEP in Paris before getting replaced by Fantillusion.

brb1006

Once again Walt Disney Worlds Electrical Parade is put to shame! The updated Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade Dreamlights recently debuted and the additions look spectacular. One could only hope Disney World gets these upgrades one day, although I would think most of the parade floats would have to be completely replaced :rolleyes:

I haven't seen a parade this bright and colorful since Spectromagic. I will never forget how mind blown I was when I discovered this parade back in 2007. I heard WDW is planning on getting a new nighttime parade in the future. I bet it will debut for the resorts 50th anniversary since there's already plans for it but no announcements.

brb1006

They would have to be completely replaced. It would be a new build, and frankly, it's shameful that the supposed #1 theme park in the world is running such a worn-down relic. TDL once again shows how it's done. The new and newly refurbished units are gorgeous.
I really love the It's A Small World finale featuring characters such as Marie and Clarice. Also Real rights has the best version of the drum float.

brb1006

Dreamlights is a wonderful parade. And they keep plussing it ALL the time. I'm not even a fan of the MSEP soundtrack and this version of the parade still got me to like the music.

And to be fair, Dreamlights puts pretty much all other parades (at least light ones) to shame, it's not just WDW's MSEP that comes up short (though it's definitely in an embarrassing state). IMHO there is no question that it's by far the best night parade in the world, arguably ever made (I do love Spectromagic and still prefer its soundtrack to all others without a doubt, but Dreamlights' floats and lighting continue to impress).

And while I may get some backlash for this statement, i'm not a fan of Paint the Night and think it's very disappointing and of mixed quality from an execution perspective. Some of the float designs are to be fair very good, but others just feel bland. I'm aware that the lighting tech is impressive, but the execution is VERY inconsistent, bordering on poor. I also highly dislike the choice of music. The one thing i'm very positive about with PtN are the costume designs, they're fantastic. At this point, Dreamlights has lighting technology on many of the floats to match it and IMO surpass it from a creative and design perspective. And I prefer the design of the floats themselves (disregarding the lighting). But Dreamlights even before these upgrades destroys it. I'm also sure it will continue to be plussed as well, there are still a few floats that haven't been outfitted with the newer lighting tech.

If WDW ever gets a new night parade, I don't want another clone of Paint the Night. Something original would of course be preferred if done right, but if a clone had to happen then Dreamlights is the parade i'd want. Dreamlights is the standard to match or surpass for night parades.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who had the same thought between PTN and Dreamlights.

brb1006

I really liked PTN, but I personally really enjoyed the soundtrack and that makes for a big difference in impressions I'm sure. Steve Davidson seems to go all out with big show stopper units, and for the most part the large floats are quite impressive, but I think some of the intimacy of the smaller units is lost (and certainly Dreamlights is more filled out than PTN). I don't think the version of Dreamlights I saw in 2013 was quite as good as PTN, but that's mostly because you could clearly tell some floats were far newer than others. Genie was the worst for really making 3/4 of the parade seem outdated.

That said, now dreamlights is the obvious winner. This update is brilliant and they really fixed up everything that needed it. I think the most obvious thing Dreamlights has that puts it above PTN is a proper finale. I find PTN (while the Mickey unit is very cool to see) just sort ends on a bit of a whimper. The 4 unit Small World "finale" is perfect! Also if I'm not mistaken they added a unit there too.

Electrical Parade is just so sadly out of date its painful. Tokyo's Nightfall glow (the shortened rainy day parade they run if Dreamlights has to be cancelled) may be better.
That's another thing I love about Tokyo Disneyland, they even have an electrical parade during rainy days. Can we also bring up the fact that Dreamlights looks even cooler during the Christmas seasons?

brb1006

Wow. That parade is absolutely stunning. That pirate ship........... If I wish hard enough, can we get it for the 50th (or sooner)? Probably not. Stock buybacks and executive bonuses are more important :( I'm also starting to wonder what it's like for people who've grown up with TDL and then come to MK. Do they know how good they've got it?
I'm wishing as hard as I can for at least a new nighttime parade that looks as stunning as Dream lights for the resorts 50th. I'm still surpsied they even got a few obscure Disney characters during the finale. Such as Clarice from Two Chips And A Miss and Marie who is very popular back in Japan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom