A Spirited Perfect Ten

John

I don't know what your expectations were, but I certainly enjoyed it. It was far from a perfect movie, but it had Chris Pratt, dinosaurs and suspense. It's what I wanted the movie to be. That's far more than I can say about Tomorrowland.

Before I answer I want to tell those of our members who haven't seen the movie to just scroll past my post....looking at you big Dave! It's impossible to answer with out giving away some of the movie...although I will say if you expect that Dinosaur s eat people you pretty much know the gist of the plot.

And thats where I guess your expectations were redsox....you expected to see people get eaten by dinosaurs. ..I go in to a movie to be entertained and somehow provoke some thought. This film didn't have that for me.

Was I entertained? Mildly....it had your obligatory explosions. ...dinosaur s eating people and a good guy...or dinosaur in this case....bad guy fight at the end. Suspense? For me was....when is Private what's his name from Full Metal jacket was going to become lunch. I felt the script was as weak as they come....every weak movie cliche ever written was used in the movie...where were the twist and turns? It was predictable....unless you left all common sense at the ticket counter.

Dinosaurs talking to each other? If the ladies came to see Brad Bird.....they were not dissapointed. I like Greer....but the script failed her....she did the best with what they gave her.

However I was entertained by some of the Disney infrences. But by dinosaurs and the plot? No. But don't fear....Jurassic will be back with another installment...the Asian scientist escaped with the DNA samples and be sure the next movie won't let you down....dinosaurs will be eating people.

Tigger1988

Before I answer I want to tell those of our members who haven't seen the movie to just scroll past my post....looking at you big Dave! It's impossible to answer with out giving away some of the movie...although I will say if you expect that Dinosaur s eat people you pretty much know the gist of the plot.

And thats where I guess your expectations were redsox....you expected to see people get eaten by dinosaurs. ..I go in to a movie to be entertained and somehow provoke some thought. This film didn't have that for me.

Was I entertained? Mildly....it had your obligatory explosions. ...dinosaur s eating people and a good guy...or dinosaur in this case....bad guy fight at the end. Suspense? For me was....when is Private what's his name from Full Metal jacket was going to become lunch. I felt the script was as weak as they come....every weak movie cliche ever written was used in the movie...where were the twist and turns? It was predictable....unless you left all common sense at the ticket counter.

Dinosaurs talking to each other? If the ladies came to see Brad Bird.....they were not dissapointed. I like Greer....but the script failed her....she did the best with what they gave her.

However I was entertained by some of the Disney infrences. But by dinosaurs and the plot? No. But don't fear....Jurassic will be back with another installment...the Asian scientist escaped with the DNA samples and be sure the next movie won't let you down....dinosaurs will be eating people.

Also, can someone explain why the nanny had a more horrific death than either of the two 'bad guys'?

gmajew

Premium Member
I really enjoyed Jurassic World and Tomorrowland. I honestly can't fathom the heat some folks are throwing at them. Or it's just my taste in movies...

Been thinking about Tomorrowland, and how though I really liked it, it could have been better. What I would have done....trilogy.

Film one...the story of the ingenious kid, his jet pack, his quest to get to the Worlds Fair and ending with his discovery of Tomorrowland.

Film two...the actual story of Tomorrowland, Walt, Plus Ultra, etc. And then show what happened to it.

Film three...everything from the one we actually got, excluding the boy/jetpack/Fair.

There was a great story to be told there...but condensing it to one film crippled it.

I should totally have a job in Hollywood....:cool:

Lee Great points... I agree with you that JW, Tomorrowland, Avengers and now Inside out have all been very enjoyable films. Inside out and JW both exceed my expectations, Avengers lived up to them ( Marvel is just solid in my opinion I know what I am getting when I walk in) Tomorrowland I thought was good but as with your post could have been more and better.

John

Sure there are those of you who liked the movie....nothing wrong with that....I didn't care for it....I am sure there were some people who didn't like the Godfather...or Gone with the Wind....heck I liked Lone Ranger....a lot of people didnt....each his own.

coolbeans14

i think it was for the shock effect. You expect nasty deaths for the baddies (which we got. I felt this movie was a little too much for a 12a(PG-13), there were a few kids who had to be taken away early). We didn't expect such a long drawn out death for her, and that made it all the more effective. That was just my take

skubersky

Robb is a Disney shill for sure, but he is also an amusement park shill in general. He still acknowledges that Tokyo (and Japan in general) is the best of the best.

I didn't intend to start a Robb-bashing party, and I'm not willing to write the guy off entirely. TPR does amazing POV videos of rides I'll never get to see in person, and (like I said) I always enjoy hanging out with him in person. His wife is also really nice to me, and I've had a great time going on trips with them (our Sally Corp tour was fantastic). I just don't like the way he treats people online (myself included).

As for being a Disney shill just because he gets PR event invites...I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get on WDW's PR list for years, so I don't begrudge anyone who does get in. I have lots of other friends on the list, and I don't think it necessarily means you don't have journalistic integrity.

I think the problem is that Robb is a theme park enthusiast and booster whose mission is to promote positive things about attractions. I'm a critic whose job is to point out the good, the bad, and the ugly as objectively as I can. I respect his approach, but he doesn't have respect for mine.

Unfortunately, he took time out of his Japan trip to message me a screenshot of this thread as a warning, so I don't anticipate our relationship improving any time soon...

skubersky

Theme Park Review - buddies with OAM, which is enough to doubt a word they say.
I don't think that's really fair, I know the Orlando Attractions Magagzine crew and they are all really friendly, kind, and genuinely passionate about their product. As a quarterly mag they occasionally have stuff that is outdated by the time they go to print, but outside of the rumor column the reporting is usually pretty solid. (Disclaimer: I write a couple cover stories for OAM every year.)

alphac2005

I just wanted to pass this along as I was told something very interesting and to start with it doesn't come from any business associate of mine, rather an odd circumstance. I know that there was an April Fool's joke floating around about Pepsi replacing Coca-Cola at the Parks and Resorts and this is not based on that.... but apparently that isn't far off according to this individual. She is stating that an agreement will be announced that Pepsi will be replacing Coca-Cola in the theme parks beginning next calendar year. The source of this information is a high-level executive in Park and Resorts. I know that PepsiCo made an agreement with the company for the Shanghai property last year. Take it for what it's worth. It's not a contact of mine, but this individual is completely in the loop of these top decisions. We'll see.

asianway

I don't think that's really fair, I know the Orlando Attractions Magagzine crew and they are all really friendly, kind, and genuinely passionate about their product. As a quarterly mag they occasionally have stuff that is outdated by the time they go to print, but outside of the rumor column the reporting is usually pretty solid. (Disclaimer: I write a couple cover stories for OAM every year.)
Seth, thanks for the response - I can tell by your writings you are absolutely someone who doesnt hold back and someone who I respect their opinion. I am on record many times on this site that once you start concealing the bad, and there is plenty of bad in the swamp, I no longer can trust their opinions. By all accounts, most of that OAM crew are nice people. I can separate the two - its just a shame that Disney PR has gotten to the biggest influencers.

SYRIK2000

I just wanted to pass this along as I was told something very interesting and to start with it doesn't come from any business associate of mine, rather an odd circumstance. I know that there was an April Fool's joke floating around about Pepsi replacing Coca-Cola at the Parks and Resorts and this is not based on that.... but apparently that isn't far off according to this individual. She is stating that an agreement will be announced that Pepsi will be replacing Coca-Cola in the theme parks beginning next calendar year. The source of this information is a high-level executive in Park and Resorts. I know that PepsiCo made an agreement with the company for the Shanghai property last year. Take it for what it's worth. It's not a contact of mine, but this individual is completely in the loop of these top decisions. We'll see.

Pepsi is way better than Coke. A very positive change if it happens.

skubersky

Thanks @asianway!
The theme park community is so incestuous, that if you start dismissing people because you don't like others they are connected too, pretty soon there is no one left. The sad truth is that when we all see each other in the parks, everyone is really polite and sociable. There's just something about the internet that turns people into the worst versions of themselves (I've been as guilty as anyone at times, but I'm trying...)

I think one difference between me and a lot of other people who cover the parks is that I came from a theater & arts criticism background, where we are trained to tear each work apart on its own merits, regardless of who the artist is. It would be absurd for a theatergoer to say "I love every play produced by the Schubert organization, no matter what" the way some park fans do. To me, that has more in common with what I've experienced as a scifi and comics fan, where some people tend to pick a camp (Marvel vs DC, Star Wars vs Star Trek) and defend it loyally.

Cesar R M

lol Ok...we get it. You didn't like it. You are beginning to troll.

Besides, what were your expectations for a movie about cloning dinosaurs? Were you expecting an academy award performance? Move on. lol
Could have been worse.. Idiocracy levels of "Academy award Winners" (aka dinosaurs farting for 2 hours) ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom