A Spirited Perfect Ten

fosse76

Ah, I guess that's why I found it confusing. When they made a big deal about shooting there, naturally I thought that it would somehow be included. Sounds like they could have basically filmed in any empty space in the middle of nowhere then.
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters actually made use of the park itself. I think there is at least one other film that had a scene in the park too, though I don't know what it is.

Absimilliard

Interesting, and you're one of the most level-headed people I know, on here and elsewhere. I think that basically proves it to me that Robb is on Disney's "special" people list.

He is. He gets invites for all media days and he was proud to brag about how he saw the New Fantasyland media day Dragon flight. For a man who used to rave about Tokyo Disney so much, he has gone very quiet about that and is now all about shoving WDW down his minions throats.

cheezbat

He is. He gets invites for all media days and he was proud to brag about how he saw the New Fantasyland media day Dragon flight. For a man who used to rave about Tokyo Disney so much, he has gone very quiet about that and is now all about shoving WDW down his minions throats.

I used to like The guy and his sites, but it's quite obvious over the past few years that he has become quite the Disney promoter. I get sick of hearing his continued love for the Frozen summer stuff, and how exciting the Malestrom redo is going to be. Where's the talk of Tokyo Disney and their massive Fantasyland expansion or the Arendale land coming to TDS?

What happened Robb?

AEfx

Are you guys talking about the TPI guy? I don't go to any other Disney sites anymore, so I can't say anything about his work there - he makes decent videos though. I have him bookmarked on my XBOX One YouTube.

BrianLo

I used to like The guy and his sites, but it's quite obvious over the past few years that he has become quite the Disney promoter. I get sick of hearing his continued love for the Frozen summer stuff, and how exciting the Malestrom redo is going to be. Where's the talk of Tokyo Disney and their massive Fantasyland expansion or the Arendale land coming to TDS?

What happened Robb?

Errr... The Alvey's are in Japan... right now... With all their "minions" in tow. They also seemingly go annually. I think they are about the last people that can accused of not having a proper global theme park perspective. The amount of traveling they do easily outstrips @WDWFigment, but that's basically their full time job.

Now, he is definitely a Disney fanboi through and through. But, he seems to generally love a lot of amusement parks that most of us would have to be paid to go to. WDW is amazing compared to some of the dumps they visit.

Now, I've only really been following their recent Japan trip report, but the man generally seems to love Frozen. I'm not sure if that has to do with his daughter who is the right age for it or what. I kind of just shrug at that.

Robb is a Disney shill for sure, but he is also an amusement park shill in general. He still acknowledges that Tokyo (and Japan in general) is the best of the best.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Weekend Musings:

First, a Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there. Without mine pushing to take me to WDW in the 70s (when both Disney and I were so young!), and taking me to EPCOT before it even opened, and buying likely half my 34 years worth of APs, you might not have the current vile, evil Disney-Hating Spirit that y'all can't live without. So to my Dad, a hearty thanks. And the hope we can spend more time enjoying the Mouse together in the future!

Haven't seen Inside Out, but am very happy to see Pixar back at the top of its game (after a few subpar outings and a prequel that was very, very successful yet not loved by many fanbois). It's only the highest grossing original film of ANY kind opening of all-time. And still not good enough to knock off the phenomenon that is Jurassic World. A great summer at the movies, no doubt. And Pixar is still the gold standard of animation ... not anyone else but John Lasseter's group.

Anyone remember Avengers? Nah, me neither.

So, a friend and I got into an interesting discussion over Shanghai Disneyland last week. About capacity and why ticketing hasn't been discussed/announced yet. I can't help but think the park is going to be very capacity-controlled. This isn't a park that can handle a MK 80,000 crowd ... or a 40,000 one likely. I have the feeling capacity will be much lower than many people might think (just look at the menu I placed here back in 2013 and extrapolate from that). After the stampede on the Bund last NYE freaked out local officials (deaths will do that to politicos), it is VERY possible that you'll have to buy tickets online and in advance. And, yes, that might make things very tough on non-Mainlanders (try and buy TDR tickets for their dinner shows at TDL online without a fluent Japanese individual and you'll understand what I am speaking of.) Yes, this could limit (greatly) the number of westerners seen in SDL.

Remember what I told you, about those '25 million' Guests that the CCP (and Disney) wants you to think are coming. They may well visit DisneyTown. Or picnic on the lake. Or boat on it. Or sit and watch fireworks. But actually gaining access to China's Disney Park is another matter entirely. (Oh, and marketing materials/travel agent materials back up this idea of coming to the resort without visiting the theme park!)

Still, no word on an official opening. No idea when one will come.

I really don't know what to say about the new doo-doo desserts at DAK. I'd just love to meet the guy/gal/team who proposed it.

To my special MAGICal friends moving into their new house: Congrats!!! And wishes for years of love and laughter there ... just keep the dog-painting to a minimum.

So, yeah, I'm going to drop into the new Club 33 soon. I'm not sure whether I should be psyched or not. Or whether I should invite Andy 'Fidel's Little Bro' Castro as my Fanboi Date? (He has kewl looking doggies and I love animals!)

One final note from China, the Disney spin machine in Shanghai is in overdrive over the public reaction to the screening of the Star Wars films at the Shanghai International Film Fest. Criticism has been ... um ... ahm ... ahhhh ... ahem ... yeah ... harsh to put it mildly. Not really interested in going into too many of the details, but the idea that Disney could introduce almost 40-year-old IP with the hubris that we see in the way its promoted here, over there, was quite the miscalculation.

khale1970

Were you really expecting it to be "smart"? I think these movies know themselves pretty well and at this point, we know what to expect. ;)

JP was smart. This was abysmal, but the dino eye blinking behind the truck/rock/shelf/whatever was the high water mark and only got old about halfway through. If JP is the sad excuse for Star Wars for whatever generation would claim it, that lame generation should be weeping for not getting something as clever as Phantom Menace. Which sucked. But not as bad as Jurassic World .

Cesar R M

Prices are unspecified, but the Standard Package on the website is meant to be an affordable three day option
http://www.jurassicworld.com/tickets/standard/

Plus, Masrani very much shares John Hammond's outlook that as many people as possible should have the opportunity to see live dinosaurs.
well, his dream lasted very little...

I think his death was kinda sad and ironical as well.
He was the one who actually cared about the animals after all.

Cesar R M

Did I read correctly that Inside Out had the largest opening of an original non-franchise movie? (Topping Avatar, I believe?)

I can't decide how Bob "Franchises Get Me Hot" Iger will take that news.
he would bring the excuse of tomorrowland and convert (like Mike said) Inside out as a franchise.. just like they are doing with Frozen.

"Inside Out 2: Outside In", coming to a theater near you soon.

Then in 10 years..

"Inside out on the outside.. electric juggalo mamba jamba edition".

Cesar R M

Filming at Six Flags had absolutely nothing to do with it being a theme park. The entire site has become enormously popular with film production companies in the last couple of years.

It's secluded, has large tracks of land on which to build, forested areas, etc.
what six flags are you guys talking about?
This "Six flags" is a closed park, right?

What happened Robb?
someone got bought...

I wonder if Disney is taking the online PR at the levels of "The God Father".. giving offers they cant refuse.
I still have no clue the real power of the "mommy bloggers". Because most of them hardly have any real views.

Cesar R M

Saw it Friday. Derivative and boring was my take, but my daughter liked it for the nostalgia. Perhaps the dumbest movie to make $1.5B?
I still think the Transformers Saga is the dumbest (next to the Twilight movies)

Yes, Six Flags New Orleans has been closed since shortly before Hurricane Katrina and is almost completely dilapidated now.
gotcha, thank you!

I remember watching a few sites with pictures of that park. very creepy and sad how a single event can destroy something so fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom