A Spirited Perfect Ten

OSUgirl77

There is a third possibility.

Perhaps they provided him with actual real substantiated information that refuted unsourced, anonymous, Internet message board commentary.

I'm no fan of journalists, or those who currently pose as such, it could have gone down exactly as stated.

However, maybe the "evidence" we have been provided wasn't as conclusive as when presented in such a slanted way here by a source who has been very open about having a massive, passionate hatred against the person this is all about.

Perhaps the reporter asked the same questions folks like I have - was that a final, official itinerary we were provided with? And just who's commentary of what happened (which was apparently translated to boot) was that?

We never got those answers, perhaps the journalist did - which is why he realized it wasn't a story but just strung-together-hearsay with an agenda.

Again, this may all very well be true - including what just supposedly happened - but there are other possibilities that don't require a massive conspiracy to explain that I don't think people are taking as a possibility.
Agreed, your third possibility very well could be true. That's all I'm going to say right now, as I'm not focused enough to put together a coherent thought. I shouldn't try to post on here while I'm watching major sporting events.

Anyway, Go Cavs! :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
The most recent banned member is an example of what TDO can do to a person. I truly believe his behavior is a coping mechanism for what they've done to the place, just makes me more angry

Because he has a serious mental illness? Because his parents coddled him and moved him to Celebration to be closer to his obsession? ... Or because Disney knows that many of its most zealous fans and defenders and lifestylers and BRAND advocates are a few almond trees shy of an orchard?

I do recall in that simpler time that I became enamored with Disney's parks that they weren't magnets for mental defectives who don't live normal lives and can't fit in to society, despite the fact that many of them have the financial means to do all sorts of things and take chances that many less fortunate can't.

Oops, forgot there was a hoops game on ...

asianway

Because he has a serious mental illness? Because his parents coddled him and moved him to Celebration to be closer to his obsession? ... Or because Disney knows that many of its most zealous fans and defenders and lifestylers and BRAND advocates are a few almond trees shy of an orchard?

I do recall in that simpler time that I became enamored with Disney's parks that they weren't magnets for mental defectives who don't live normal lives and can't fit in to society, despite the fact that many of them have the financial means to do all sorts of things and take chances that many less fortunate can't.

Oops, forgot there was a hoops game on ...
I think it took a pre-existing condition, and gave it a good hard push in the wrong direction. His outbursts seem to be timed with WDW "bad news". Definitely a chapter in the book.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The recruiters 'story' would sound shocking like the rehire policy used for frontline CMs... do you not find it possible that the recruiter was simply WRONG and gave bad information (remember.. they are simply relaying info or info they have on record). Second, the information given wasn't even that they were 'blacklisted' (which would mean no hire at all) but rather they had a to respect a bounce period where they couldn't reapply for jobs with the company... again, sound a lot like front line CMs to anyone?

Meanwhile... the company refuses to back up their claim once scrutinized.

Overblown

Fair enough, What's interesting is this story seems to have legs and I'm sure Disney is NOT happy about that.

WDWFan_Boston

I'll try. I will to sum up as best I can. (And If I'm wrong, @WDW1974 please correct me). That is a Very Valid question as well, IMO.

It all has to do with the overall health and future of the company.

First, China is the emerging middle-class of the world. Think post-war America and the rise of the middle class. They are the future growth of Disney, including P&R. Disney needs to get into that market. Disney needs China, sadly.

So why should we care? Because for the past 20 years, instead of continuing to reinvest in Florida, they've had to bail out DLP. HKDL needed an expansion to drive attendance much sooner than expected. That can't continue to happen in every foreign market Disney goes into.

So its a matter of entering the market correctly, being welcomed with open arms and as equals and as partners. Thats not happening on either side. There's a tit-for-tat game going on, with Shendi/CCP giving intentional slights to Disney while Disney is trying to enter Shanghai with typical American/Wall Street Arrogance and (likely unconsciously) insulting their business partners.

For Example, having a parade of characters through Shanghai for the opening of a Disney Store is pretty much viewed in the same way as General Patton entering Palermo. Its not going to go over well. Because that is simply not how things are done in China. So in retaliation for that, Iger is basically shown no respect and is kept out of the picture. And back and forth it goes. Disney traditionally behaves like the 800 pound gorilla in the room and they simply have no idea what to do with the dragon.

So again, why should we care? Because instead of being a true partnership, Disney isn't in control at all and they're $5.4B in. They're not in control and it is not a partnership because of how they're going about things. Its not a good start AT ALL.

Why was getting Disney Channel in China a big deal for Eisner? (Keep in mind, 15+ years ago) To introduce Disney to the kids and to start marketing to them while they're young. China said no, so Eisner went to Hong Kong. Disney Channel is still not on in China but Iger is hell bent on making this work.

So right now? You have an unfriendly business partner and an audience that doesn't know much about Disney, with little control of the project and you're $5.4 in.

Seriously hope that helps....

Thanks for the explanation. I think there were several of us that we're curious about this, and you made it easy to understand.

Basically, Disney is one big Pu Pu Platter over there.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok. I'll bite finally. I've had a good day making jokes on the DPB, this can bring me back down to where my lack of interest or intellect likely belongs. I've ignored it for too long because it doesn't interest me in the slightest, but since it's the only thing that seems to be that @WDW1974 thinks is truly worth discussing (not judging if it is or isn't mind you, I have no opinion, just noting recent posting history).

Could someone, potentially in a relatively non-aggressive manner if possible, break down for me why as a consumer, enjoyer of 3 out of 4 Florida based Disney parks, and whose children hold a larger amount of Disney stock than himself, should care whatever is going on in Shanghai?

I'm not trying to be a snarky d-bag here. I've tried to follow some posts, I just can't find any interest in it to pursue it further.

Simple if the investment goes bad in Shanghai it will affect the capital allocation for the REST of Disney's parks, much like how DLP was a drain on the rest of P&R for much of the noughts. For those who say it's 'international' there is only ONE pot of money at TWDC and all investment comes from that pot.

PhotoDave219

Much agreed about why Disney is important in China; however, I have to point out, that it's presuming that the unsourced, anonymous posting here that was supposedly the smoking gun as to how the trip was messed up was accurate when a) it's not the story we were told by the same source originally, and b) again is now the victim of some vast conspiracy to hide (just as I predicted the excuse would be as to why all these journalists supposedly interested in it who didn't write a story).

First it was Darth Iger should have been front and center, he's looking impotent, what a fool not to be!

Then it was Darth Iger tried to be front and center, how stupid of him, what a fool for trying!

Now it's "Vast conspiracy to hide the fact Darth Iger was a fool!"

China is incredibly important to the WDC, but the only evidence we have that Darth Iger messed it all up is from an anonymous posting here that we are supposed to believe a vast conspiracy exists to hide the truth of, when it very well may have been an outdated itinerary and we still to this moment don't know who the source of all the negative commentary about what supposedly happened was.

No I think at this point there's a lot of Things that are pointing to some serious behind the scenes drama going on here.

When was the last time you saw such a toxic business relationship before business even started?

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, a wsj journalist has picked the brains of some insiders on a story with REAL financial implications and instead of moving forward, he sells out for a case of Mickey Bars? This, in itself, speaks volumes.

Nah. Just the Iger Haters working on creating a narrative based on coincidences that would make you believe the world is flat and the dinosaurs were roaming the earth a few thousand years ago.

Of course, they have no real answers. Nothing that makes sense beyond saying there must be other explanations.
As to my hate for Iger. I don't hate him on a personal level, like people I've known. I hate him because of his unethical and immoral actions and the general way he runs what was once one of the greatest company's in the world and a shining beacon of American greatness.

So, all the BS to the side (because please understand there are MANY agendas at play in this thread by MANY individuals) I've got my reasons. And many of them are perfectly illustrated by his absurd behavior regarding China. I honestly wonder just what lengths he'll go to in order to never have to answer a question about the park until Opening Day ... if he doesn't wind up with visa trouble or a last-minute 'family emergency' and just doesn't make it.

If you think that Ben Fritz of the Wall Street Journal truly researched this story (China, not Arendelle) and received adequate explanations from Disney on any and all points related to Disney's entry to Mainland China that were brought to his attention, then how do you explain why the WDC gifted him with an exclusive scene by scene telling (no spoilers there, right?) of the Frozen attraction? How does one make such a connection without realizing the huge disconnect there as Disney doesn't tend to reward people who ask tough questions and push them into corners (if they did, then I'd be rich ... richer!)

There is no explanation. I know some convoluted ones will come. But I do know that even some of my supposed ''greatest skeptics '' to use the words of another recently conveyed to me are beginning to have a difficult time disassembling the dots that have been connected here. When even they express concerns over Disney's entry to China, it seems a bit odd (at best) that the WSJ has more interest in talking about where you'll see Olaf and Sven playing 'hide the carrot' in the new/repurposed attraction at EPCOT.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Posts like these me wish you could punch dumb people remotely via their monitor.

It's too bad the 6800 microprocessors are no longer used to control anything more sophisticated than a microwave because they had a wonderful little instruction (undocumented) called HCF or 'Halt, Catch Fire' which was EXACTLY what happened if you used that command. You could simply send them a program which incorporated that instruction and their CPU would 'Let the magic smoke out'.

This is where the series 'Halt and Catch Fire' got it's name from, The IBM PC had some similar graphics commands which would make the monitor catch fire...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ok. I'll bite finally. I've had a good day making jokes on the DPB, this can bring me back down to where my lack of interest or intellect likely belongs. I've ignored it for too long because it doesn't interest me in the slightest, but since it's the only thing that seems to be that @WDW1974 thinks is truly worth discussing (not judging if it is or isn't mind you, I have no opinion, just noting recent posting history).

Could someone, potentially in a relatively non-aggressive manner if possible, break down for me why as a consumer, enjoyer of 3 out of 4 Florida based Disney parks, and whose children hold a larger amount of Disney stock than himself, should care whatever is going on in Shanghai?

I'm not trying to be a snarky d-bag here. I've tried to follow some posts, I just can't find any interest in it to pursue it further.

I don't know why you should care. I know why I do and I've expressed that. ... I guess on the simplest level if Disney's entry to China is problematic or worse, it WILL have a negative impact on so many things you do care about like WDW.

Remember that 2007-08 economic collapse? You know the one that wiped out most of our middle class and sent them into the working class category, no matter what they call themselves? That collapse stopped many major projects for WDW. They were about to happen. And then they didn't. They never have since. And DCA? I've been told by people at extremely high levels that if the BoD had waited six more months to fund it, that it never would have happened. Circumstances affect things. ... Big circumstances in China will profoundly affect and reverberate in all facets of the company. Do you have specific questions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom