A Spirited Perfect Ten

OSUgirl77

You'll seen lifestylers go opening night, blog about it being the greatest place ever and never go back. If it is run anything like The Edison in LA lifestylers will be few are far between. Strict dress code, minimum order for table service, and everything is pretty pricey. The one in LA is legit, so I would hope they can recreate much of that in O-Town.
I hope that is the case. Places where you can dress up and have a nice ADULT night out are few and far between at WDW anymore.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't read it online, because it's behind the OS paywall (paying for the Sentinel's content warrants a :hilarious:).

But it's not surprising that the story was slanted that way. Mickey is untouchable in the Orlando economy. The Sentinel's reporters have always treated WDW with kid gloves, so I'm not surprised that Sandra was knighting up for the pixie dust.

Yes, I get a kick out of hearing Disney fanbois cry about the way the 'Slantinel" treats their beloved relig... I mean ... cul ... I mean company.

They haven't had real reporters on that beat since the days of Leslie Doolittle and Craig Dezern. The latter was viewed as such a threat that they actually hired him away to an a now-exec position. I really think they'd be wise to return to the days of taking a perceived foe and turning them into a friend. It's not all that hard ... and the cost is not close to $2 billion.;):greedy::cool:

I'm surprised she didn't mention Avatar is "coming soon" (in a mere two years!) -- even Potter in Hollywood is opening before then (next spring). I guess it takes time to achieve blue cat-people attraction greatness.

She actually did make a passing reference to it opening in 2017. Sorry, I neglected to include it.

Speaking of Avatar, I stumbled across the official Avatar Twitter page today. Evidently, it's main purpose is to teach you "Avatar" language (what is that, Navi'ian or some garbage)? Side note: Oh my gosh, the weirdos who are going to show up for the grand opening should make for some incredible people watching.

Anyway, the lolz part is Avatar's official page has 29k followers. That's 29,000.

You're telling me that my 'wittle friend (well, he isn't little at all ... and he has distanced himself from me since becoming a Lifestyler since he thinks I could harm his BRAND!) the @EPCOT Explorer has half as many followers as Avatar does?!?! Someone needs to Tweet this at his passive aggressive tushie. That is just ... impressive for him, but pathetic for them.

By way of comparison, the official Harry Potter page has 1.72 million followers. Only 1.69 million more than Avatar. That's a crude metric, but I was shocked. I thought Avatar would have had a bigger online presence. Even the news this week that HP would be involved with creating some digital world with Avatar seemed to land with a thud. The comments I read were pretty dismissive and more along the lines of, "Huh?"

Is Iger gonna still be around when this thing opens?

Avatar actually has to be beyond Potter in some ways because there is so much disinterest in it. Even folks who weren't/aren't Potter crazies seem to have interest in what UNI has created. I have never met anyone (and, again, while I love to namedrop it's because I know many folks in the industry) outside or inside the entertainment biz that is excited about anything Pandorian -- from the much-delayed sequels to the park area at DAK.

BTW, remember that DAK was only going to be the first park to get Avatar product? Yeah, you'll see it elsewhere just like you'll see Disney ever build a Phase II (unless it's a DVC resort!)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So wait.. the article states that Disney says the recruiter was wrong... the Recruiter doesn't deny it and declines to comment... and yet the article still leads with the conclusive statement that contradicts the fact finding in the article. Great example of how Q#@% the stuff we call 'media' is now.

Disney would NEVER lie to the press... What's the advantage to the recruiter to lie about this to the press, They were instantly blacklisted from getting any business from Disney as soon as the report hit Which is why I tend to buy the recruiters story.

As in all cases like this - Follow the money.

But as @flynnibus notes the state of so called journalism in this country is pathetic with news outlets being de facto PR departments for Big Business and it's subsidiary Big Government.

OSUgirl77

Spirited Frozen Ever After Musings:

First, let's talk about the Big Picture stuff, the stuff you don't know and that a good 14% won't believe on principle and another four percent simply because it is coming from moi.

I and at LEAST three other members of this forum (two who post regularly, one who lurks) have been in contact with Ben Fritz of the Wall Street Journal about our concerns and issues with what is and isn't being reported from Shanghai regarding Disney's developments in the Chinese Mainland. He has been very professional. He has taken as much information as he could possibly gather. He has said all the right things. ...

And then he went directly to Disney in Burbank, likely to the Zenia Mucha level, brought the issues up, suggested that he might be interested in writing about them and ... and ... then he was offered a Frozen Ever After exclusive (yes, Disney leaked the story before it appeared on their own blog). Now, I'm sure the 'anti-reality' crowd will point out that this was coincidental and can easily be explained away. And that Disney, which is so secretive it won't release any details at all on what is being built in Shanghai Disneyland, only the most important P&R development of the century, or what's going to be in Pandora ... or what the company will be building based on Star Wars on both coasts or Marvel in Anaheim or pretty much anything else anywhere somehow saw the need to DESCRIBE THE ENTIRE RIDE (every scene) to the Wall Street Freaking Journal.

(BTW, the show by show scene component is STILL an exclusive to the WSJ as Disney hasn't put it on its own Blog.)

When has that ever happened? Seriously? When has Disney given the WSJ of all organizations (or any for that matter) a blow by blow complete description of a new attraction? And you really think your other ''I don't hate Iger, so I see this clearly unlike the Spirit'' theory holds enough water to put into a thimble? Don't waste your breath.

To my friends who have been in contact with Big Tool Ben, be grateful that you helped him get an exclusive after all. And likely a free Disney vacation for him and his family ...maybe a future one-on-one with Bob before Star Wars opens in December too. No, I never said you wouldn't get results. You did! How does it make you feel?

Like I've said umpteenth times, that's what journalism is in the 21st century. Regardless of who signs his paychecks, Ben Fritz works for The Walt Disney Company.

Now, I read all of those funny comments (except one or two by some crazy Phil character) on Cupcake's Disney Parks Blog. No, I don't think they left an intern in charge. I think they flat out let the comments in to sorta shut up the weak folks on the ropes about whether Disney plays dirty (filthy would be more like it). The thinking goes ''See, Disney is letting all these EPCOT fanbois stuck in the 80s say whatever they want. They don't censor anything there anymore than Bob had his wife censor that Redstone Disney-Hater in the HuffPo.''

Yes, I REALLY believe that. I get how these companies operate, while the naivete of some here is astounding.

What else can be said? I guess I could rip the ride for being exactly what I expected, exactly what I told you it would be -- a cheap overlay with LET IT GO played loudly over and over. But why? It will drastically cut the waits for Soarin come next year. It will move even more crap merchandise.

I also can't help but feel that certain events ... well, let's just say that school is out for summer and it shows as much as a melting snowman and a planted story growing in clickcounts (ones that the WSJ would never get) as the night goes on.
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. But, while I know this happens in the media on a regular basis, actually having it confirmed first hand just makes me sick. Makes you start thinking about all of the other stories, some with much greater implications than the goings on at Disney, that are not being reported by our so-called media. Disgusting.

Last edited:

hopemax

So, a wsj journalist has picked the brains of some insiders on a story with REAL financial implications and instead of moving forward, he sells out for a case of Mickey Bars? This, in itself, speaks volumes.

Although, pragmatically, what else would we expect? Look at how much was not published about Bill Cosby, or Lance Armstrong, and those are small fish compared to Disney. It was only once the tide turned, did everyone come out of the woodwork to share their "bad behavior" stories. Nobody is going to be first to stick their head out because it will be chopped off, if Zenia is as advertised. Not that it wasn't worth the attempt by Spirit and others; to know that you did what you could.

But that's why I don't believe that Disney management will correctly read the tea leaves. Everything will be okay, up until the moment it's not. Like the FIFA guys. Sentiment can change very quickly, once everyone starts abandoning ship, but no one is going to jump before they hit the iceberg. Right now, there's probably a lot of, "it doesn't matter what happens, Star Wars will carry them through."

PhotoDave219

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. But, while I know this happens in the media on a regular basis, actually having it confirmed first hand just makes me sick. Makes you start thinking about all of the other stories, some with much greater implications than the goings on at Disney, that are being covered up by our so-called media. Disgusting.

IMO it's not like an actual cover up, it's generally not having the resources to report the story.

Also WHO LEAKS THEIR WHOLE RIDE?!?!?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Because management is not executive leadership.

Absolutely correct. What many westerners fail to grasp (not simply here) is that management contracts in China do not reflect the same things they do here. Disney's 70% does not reflect a 70% control over what actually happens in the day to day or year to year running of the park.

It is largely a statement of obligation as to what Disney (and, yes, Shendi) is required to do in order to conduct business there and operate a park/resort. It is NOT executive in any way. ... But not the way it is presented here or leads others to believe. Here, it's read as 'Disney is the corporate decision-maker' ... they are not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney would NEVER lie to the press... What's the advantage to the recruiter to lie about this to the press, They were instantly blacklisted from getting any business from Disney as soon as the report hit Which is why I tend to buy the recruiters story.

The recruiters 'story' would sound shocking like the rehire policy used for frontline CMs... do you not find it possible that the recruiter was simply WRONG and gave bad information (remember.. they are simply relaying info or info they have on record). Second, the information given wasn't even that they were 'blacklisted' (which would mean no hire at all) but rather they had a to respect a bounce period where they couldn't reapply for jobs with the company... again, sound a lot like front line CMs to anyone?

Meanwhile... the company refuses to back up their claim once scrutinized.

Overblown

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Ok. I'll bite finally. I've had a good day making jokes on the DPB, this can bring me back down to where my lack of interest or intellect likely belongs. I've ignored it for too long because it doesn't interest me in the slightest, but since it's the only thing that seems to be that @WDW1974 thinks is truly worth discussing (not judging if it is or isn't mind you, I have no opinion, just noting recent posting history).

Could someone, potentially in a relatively non-aggressive manner if possible, break down for me why as a consumer, enjoyer of 3 out of 4 Florida based Disney parks, and whose children hold a larger amount of Disney stock than himself, should care whatever is going on in Shanghai?

I'm not trying to be a snarky d-bag here. I've tried to follow some posts, I just can't find any interest in it to pursue it further.

WildcatDen

Although, pragmatic"
I am still holding out hope that the Bill Cosby thing is false. The whole thing reads like a bad season on Guiding Light. For some Cosby is an institution. They will not allow him to be knocked down. I mean, who wants to read or learn something bad about an icon . . .

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm hoping smaller more intimate like the Magic and Wonder. Those classic ships aren't going to last forever... They'll be 25 years old at that point, pretty much the expected retirement age of any cruise ship.

Yes. And I saw a post somewhere here when I was killing time this afternoon by someone who mentioned that Disney waited too long to seal the deal with the German shipbuilder that crafted the Dream and Fantasy. That is true. Much like they did last time. Michael 'God' Eisner was looking seriously at expanding DCL as early as 2003. They decided to do it a year later and then ... the poor exchange rate happened and they kept waiting and waiting and waiting before The Weatherman made a smart decision in 2007 and pulled the trigger. Now, he's been too indecisive and while the rate is much better, they won't have a new ship late this decade as originally planned.

EDITS: Just noticed it was @Nmoody1 who brought it up. And the ships are looking to be somewhere between the size of the classic ships and the newer ones.

Mike S

Spirited Frozen Ever After Musings:

First, let's talk about the Big Picture stuff, the stuff you don't know and that a good 14% won't believe on principle and another four percent simply because it is coming from moi.

I and at LEAST three other members of this forum (two who post regularly, one who lurks) have been in contact with Ben Fritz of the Wall Street Journal about our concerns and issues with what is and isn't being reported from Shanghai regarding Disney's developments in the Chinese Mainland. He has been very professional. He has taken as much information as he could possibly gather. He has said all the right things. ...

And then he went directly to Disney in Burbank, likely to the Zenia Mucha level, brought the issues up, suggested that he might be interested in writing about them and ... and ... then he was offered a Frozen Ever After exclusive (yes, Disney leaked the story before it appeared on their own blog). Now, I'm sure the 'anti-reality' crowd will point out that this was coincidental and can easily be explained away. And that Disney, which is so secretive it won't release any details at all on what is being built in Shanghai Disneyland, only the most important P&R development of the century, or what's going to be in Pandora ... or what the company will be building based on Star Wars on both coasts or Marvel in Anaheim or pretty much anything else anywhere somehow saw the need to DESCRIBE THE ENTIRE RIDE (every scene) to the Wall Street Freaking Journal.

(BTW, the show by show scene component is STILL an exclusive to the WSJ as Disney hasn't put it on its own Blog.)

When has that ever happened? Seriously? When has Disney given the WSJ of all organizations (or any for that matter) a blow by blow complete description of a new attraction? And you really think your other ''I don't hate Iger, so I see this clearly unlike the Spirit'' theory holds enough water to put into a thimble? Don't waste your breath.

To my friends who have been in contact with Big Tool Ben, be grateful that you helped him get an exclusive after all. And likely a free Disney vacation for him and his family ...maybe a future one-on-one with Bob before Star Wars opens in December too. No, I never said you wouldn't get results. You did! How does it make you feel?

Like I've said umpteenth times, that's what journalism is in the 21st century. Regardless of who signs his paychecks, Ben Fritz works for The Walt Disney Company.

Now, I read all of those funny comments (except one or two by some crazy Phil character) on Cupcake's Disney Parks Blog. No, I don't think they left an intern in charge. I think they flat out let the comments in to sorta shut up the weak folks on the ropes about whether Disney plays dirty (filthy would be more like it). The thinking goes ''See, Disney is letting all these EPCOT fanbois stuck in the 80s say whatever they want. They don't censor anything there anymore than Bob had his wife censor that Redstone Disney-Hater in the HuffPo.''

Yes, I REALLY believe that. I get how these companies operate, while the naivete of some here is astounding.

What else can be said? I guess I could rip the ride for being exactly what I expected, exactly what I told you it would be -- a cheap overlay with LET IT GO played loudly over and over. But why? It will drastically cut the waits for Soarin come next year. It will move even more crap merchandise.

I also can't help but feel that certain events ... well, let's just say that school is out for summer and it shows as much as a melting snowman and a planted story growing in clickcounts (ones that the WSJ would never get) as the night goes on.
So it's all part of a plan to keep the real story down. I knew it was weird that the first real info we got about this ride wasn't from Disney.
Anyone else find it strange how this is the first real news about the ride since the announcement and Disney isn't even the one that released it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom