A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
The destruction of the hub and of World Showcase are every bit as disastrous as the War on Future World in the nineties. To think a few years ago I had moments were I thought the pendulum would swing. :'(

All that's missing is stinkin' Toy Story Playland replacing the once great Backlot Tour and all parks will be actually worse than they were even last year. Well maybe not DAK, hurrah.

Sadly, I agree.

But think of this post, your own words, your own feelings the next time you praise Robert A. Iger and his exec 'leadership' team.

Again, the ship had issues sailing as Michael Eisner's tenure wound down. But Iger has had almost a decade in the big boy's chair. WDW is not better than it was under MDE, even at its worst. Think about it. Think about it hard, long and all night long. You might, just might realize this company needs regime change.

#DisneyBribes #DisneyCensors

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you know what happened to Sam? I mean he was brought in from San Fran (I believe) to fix the system...nothing happened for a long time. Then all of a sudden he was shipped off to Epcot in a non-transportation roll?!?!????

There has to be a story behind that...any insight?

This is largely rumor/gossip, but it also comes from folks who generally know of what they are speaking.

Apparently, Sam wanted to make some major (and costly) changes in the Transport Dept. He also didn't agree with many of Disney's OPs decisions and was at odds with people above him regularly.

So, since EPCOT only matters as a large restaurant and bar facility, he was simply made EPCOT VP of the Moment. I sincerely doubt he will last at Disney for long. He's an outsider who attempted to upset the apple cart (I can't speak to whether he was correct in what he wanted.) and Disney is an incredibly insular corp.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thank you!!!

No real sympathy about the Golden Mickey's. It had a good run, but is becoming quite long in the tooth, and cheesy.

When you mention next attraction after Iron Man, are you not referring to TSMM? Or do you mean the attraction after that?

You're welcome.

They updated the show on DCL's Wonder. I am a bit surprised they didn't opt to do so at HKDL, based on its popularity.

I'm saying both, actually. The upcoming plans may have recently gotten more ambitious (although TSMM will be coming!) and things are a bit in flux.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is largely rumor/gossip, but it also comes from folks who generally know of what they are speaking.

Apparently, Sam wanted to make some major (and costly) changes in the Transport Dept. He also didn't agree with many of Disney's OPs decisions and was at odds with people above him regularly.

So, since EPCOT only matters as a large restaurant and bar facility, he was simply made EPCOT VP of the Moment. I sincerely doubt he will last at Disney for long. He's an outsider who attempted to upset the apple cart (I can't speak to whether he was correct in what he wanted.) and Disney is an incredibly insular corp.

This speaks volumes to Disney's dysfunctional management culture, Bring in a transport professional and not allow them to do the job they were hired to do.

Nubs70

This can happen when you do what you know is right.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I always enjoy The Spirit's posts... However you cannot compare the Kuka effect in Gringott's to the Yeti. First of all, it has NEVER been advertised as the star of the show. It's a great effect that if working correctly, guests will never even notice. The Yeti is the centerpiece. One that they STILL hype... After about a DECADE of being inactive.

Further, the Kuka screen effect is not permanently out of the show. It is actively being worked on. I don't get how two months = ten years. This is one of many reasons people aren't harping on the issue.

Personally, I'd rather them fix the in-vehicle audio issues well before the screen effect.

Yes, I can.

It is the money shot of the attraction. And when all you get is a giant hole in the wall (Yes, I am thinking of literally dozens of potential one-liners here and now!), it absolutely ruins the ride. I'd go so far as to say it is worse than the Yeti not moving from the perception of riders. I am in NO way excusing the absolutely inexcusable Disco Yeti situation at DAK that Disney just seems intent on pretending it has always been this way and is supposed to always be this way.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just to clarify @Cesar R M, Spirit was only talking about HKDL, not SDL. Snyder was touring HKDL only (Lantau is the island it is on).

I'm not sure what the takeaway is, but Snyder really loves or really hates HKDL as we know he's been there a few times in the past too.

Maybe he's trying to launch his own theme park project?

To be clear, I have no report/intel if he has been on site at SDL. I just have friends out at Lantau who noticed him and knew who he was (they apparently aren't getting as many westerners there these days, possibly due to the Democracy Movement last fall).

It isn't unusual for people in media and entertainment to be seen in theme parks, especially in a city where they work.

My interest in it was much more on the individuals he was with and why (I don't think it was simply to make Bob feel more impotent in China than he already does). I have a friend that will be starting the work day on Lantau in about an hour and I have put in a Spirited request.

And the guy would have to be totally insane to want to start a theme park project, especially in China with so much in the pipeline already.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know you're a Uni-fanatic and a Disney downer, but let's try to be unbiased for a moment.

I would personally prefer the park setting at the hub. It provided shade, benches, etc. However, that doesn't mean there aren't aspects of the new Hub that are very beautiful. Seen below.
gfwdw123456LARGE.jpg

Again, it's not perfect, but it's better than what was there 5 years ago. I'm not sure how they are artistically bankrupt...

I would have to see this in person and, really, why go the MK anyway?

BUT ... I think you and many others fall onto the 'better than what was there' or 'nice aspects' lines of looking at this.

Sure, it appears maybe a tad nicer than five years ago.

But a few small fountains or other aspects that never took into consideration the original design and intent may well be nice if you stuck them in an empty warehouse and stood looking at them. Art design is a rather important part of Theme Park 101. If things don't fit, then they don't. Most people realize this, even if it is on a subconscious level, even with people dumber than dirt today in ever increasing numbers.

That fountain may fit perfectly at Disney Springs or somewhere else on property. It doesn't look like it feels right for where it is located.

Grumpy1973

I just cook my own anymore. I want it between rare & medium rare, basted in olive oil with just salt & pepper on it.

Cooked over either charcoal or oak.

Preferably a nice free range black angus rib eye or filet.

Served with a nice Cabernet. Maybe a Camus or a silver oak but generally the Coppala Director's cut Cabernet.

Sweet potato. Fresh bread.

Dammit I'm hungry now.
Silver Oak hard to get "off premises" these days...

VulcanCafe

Both companies are industry leaders who took the brunt of the public outrage over working conditions that plague their entire industries because they were highlighted by the media since they were prominent targets. They have become the so called posterchilds of sweatshop labour. IF The Walt Disney Company or Shanghai International Theme Park Company, SDR’s legal name, or the resort’s Disney controlled management company have violated the FCPA or investigate by the DOJ and SEC, the two departments who administer FCPA, or called to a congressional hearing, its actions will have tremendous consequences.
  1. Iger and Company would be gone.
  2. Central Government would begin an aggressive purge of the state-owned corporations involved with SDR.
  3. Most importantly, Disney is permanently associated with bribery, much in the way Nike and Apple have been with sweatshop labor. This leads to a permanent scar on the company and the BRAND from which they may never fully recover from.

I mostly lurk here, but I am pretty familiar with FCPA due to my employment. FCPA settlements rarely if ever impact a corporations management. Most settlements are in the low millions to the hundreds of millions, either way pocket change to DIS.

Your scenario as described above is wishful thinking unless Iger himself handed cash directly to someone, or directed others to bribe officials it won't come close to touching any 'C' level employee or having a material impact on the balance sheets.

All you need to do is look at the list of cases and settlement amounts: http://www.sec.gov/spotlight/fcpa/fcpa-cases.shtml

Recognize some of these names? GE, Pfizer, Oracle, Diebold, Smith and Wesson, Avon, Ralph Lauren, Alcatel-Lucent, and Daimer Chrysler. I don't think these prosecutions/settlements came anywhere close to the impact you are describing above.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think Spirit qualifies as 'the press'.

While I have no intention of placing my CV on MAGIC for your/anyone's review, I have worked as a journalist as well as a publicist (at different times, of course, unlike Dr. Blondie). And I did both jobs in a top-notch ethical manner. When I place things out as news, I vet them far more thoroughly than the pathetic excuses that largely call themselves journalists today. ... That's why I am very good at my role here on MAGIC. I am not sure if you realize how much NEWS about Disney and China is being placed on this thread.

I
I still don't get Snyder's angle. He's not a true journalist, and Ya I'd be pretty peeve'd with being censored... But I want to know what he's up to, and why he cared in the first place?

I don't think he ever professed to be a journalist. Just beacuse he has Redstone blood, doesn't mean he can't be a big Disney fan like the rest of us here. He wrote an Op-Ed that was labeled as such. The head of the world's largest media company felt scared and threatened enough and acted out, using his wife's position (not the one that he got her at USC). And I personally hate censorship ... when Marcia removes one of my Imagineer/Fanboi hookup jokes, I shoot my TV with one of my 18 guns!

I'm reasonably confident he is up to something that some here would find fascinating and others would be bored to tears about because it doesn't involve future plans for the Imagination pavilion ... unless, it does!:eek:

There's a reason why we have Op-Ed's and pretty much 99.9999% of the time, the author has an interest and insight into the topic they are writing about. If not, then why bother? I don't know why he cared. I do know why he was censored. And I know what matters far more.

I
There are two agendas here, we clearly have hints at Iger's/China, but I want to know whose/what agenda @WDW1974 is being leaked info from. Until then we have a weirdly lop-sided story (that doesn't make it false or inaccurate, just incomplete). Does Gary just hate the Iger's too? What is he after exactly?

I am placing out information as I know it and as I receive it/vet it/ponder its deeper meaning etc. My opinion about the Igers is not pertinent to this discussion. The story isn't one-sided by any means just because only outlets in China are opting to cover it. A top Shanghai official, someone quite important to Shanghai Disneyland's development has now been jailed for weeks on graft charges. That's the story -- and I am saying it as someone who has worked in journalism -- even if US media says it isn't. A second part of the tale would be Iger using his wife to censor a viewpoint that goes against her and her husband's financial interests. Snyder's motivations, while not unimportant, are very much not the story here.

What if the dude hates Iger? I'd hate him plenty for acting so cowardly. But I think people read a lot into that Op-Ed that wasn't there. The column largely pointed out Disney's difficulties in growing BRAND awareness in China. That's all true and anyone working in media in China will tell you as much. His opinions are just that. That is why we have Op-Eds.

Spark70

While not as interesting as the SPIRITed articles referenced earlier, I came across this today:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/07/us-china-tourism-idUSKBN0MY1W220150407

Certainly provides interesting insight and makes one wonder where the line may be for behaviors getting you on "the list". My more cynical self thinks it might be worthwhile to have China loan some "observers" to WDW for a month or two...

ParentsOf4

I mostly lurk here, but I am pretty familiar with FCPA due to my employment. FCPA settlements rarely if ever impact a corporations management. Most settlements are in the low millions to the hundreds of millions, either way pocket change to DIS.

Your scenario as described above is wishful thinking unless Iger himself handed cash directly to someone, or directed others to bribe officials it won't come close to touching any 'C' level employee or having a material impact on the balance sheets.
Realistically, the worst-case scenario would be a settlement for several tens-of-million (which Disney would promptly use as an excuse to cut capex budgets while increasing stock buybacks as a show "confidence" in the company) and a lot of corporate handwringing. Iger would be embarrassed and his ego bruised, but by the time the dust settled, he'd still retire untouched in 2018.

As you suggest, in the past, C-level executives have sailed through unscathed with this sort of scandal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom