A Spirited Perfect Ten

hpyhnt 1000

A bit more accurate comparison:

83a647c0.jpg

scwdwdl123456LARGE.jpg

Anyway, back to the important stuff. That China news on the graft arrest is VERY interesting. Really hope someone in a position to write some thing makes the connection between the tourist zone and Disney and the $800 million and starts asking questions. It's all circumstantial, but it sure is a lot of coincidences that all seem to line up.

This whole story was just a bit of smoke a few weeks ago and it just became a nice little brush fire. Wouldn't take much it looks like for it to become a raging inferno.

Last edited:

Phil12

It's really very simple, Viacom will benefit from damage to Disney's media business.

Viacom HAS a media channel in China which was DENIED to Disney, Viacom is preparing for ala-carte TV in that they devalued their TV properties recently. TWDC is being positioned between the devil and the deep blue sea.

It would not surprise me if the CCP up and awarded the management of THEIR park in Shanghai to Gary and Company. The spin that would ensue from Burbank/Glendale would be epic.
But Gary Snyder doesn't work for Viacom.

Nubs70

Let me just talk through this, and help me if I've misunderstood:

So This is how I'm understanding of this whole Shanghai thing:

Iger has potentially gotten involved with a corrupt member of the Chinese government, who gained personally from construction such as Disneyland. The government are now investigating and if he has gotten into dodgy water then it could have serious repercussions on him, and the company.

The Chinese have a majority ownership of the resort, and are now rubbing it into Iger's face? Now Iger has to pretend that he still has control of the situation, but China basically owns this now. (Also I'm guessing Gary is the Viacom chief?)

So did Iger's believe this park would help the relationship Disney has with China? Instead, has it opened him to humiliation. And does this have the potential to ruin his career at Disney?

If I've understood right, then:
A) Wall Street are going to love him a little less
B) the Disney board might avoid a yes man next time they choose his successor
C) Disney has more or less given China access to their IPs and that's potentially very bad news for them
D) they have gained nothing from this venture

Please correct me if I've got this wrong?

P.S. Also, imagine how good this would be as a House of Cards style political drama. Heck, just cast Kevin spacey as Iger doing the Frank underwood stuff! :D
Option E - If any portion of the $800MM ended up in the hands of the Chinese officials hands and can be linked back to Iger, not only will Wall Street like Iger less but Iger will be the target of a civil, criminal and SEC investigation.

spacemt354

Chili's
But is it "beautiful". It used to be beautiful.
83a647c0.jpg

Now it's a flophouse.
Attractions-Magazine-magic-kingdom-new-hub-3.jpg

You do realize the two images you've posted are taken from completely different angles and at different crowd levels during the day. Not only is the area still not complete but there appears to be some type of show or display in front of the castle, that everyone is viewing in the second photo, which is why there are so many people in the area.

Again, criticism is valid, but there's a way to do it properly.

spacemt354

Chili's
But not from each other, Tomorrowland was not visible from Adventureland in the initial design, It surely is today, Remember the whole purpose of the utilidors was to prevent 'Space Cowboys' ie thematically inappropriate elements from showing up anywhere but their intended location.

I'm still confused. The only way Tomorrowland is (barely) visible is when you exit Adventureland. And if you look at the concept art, you will see that there will be more trees planted in that area as I mentioned. Nevertheless, as you exit Adventureland you can see the Crystal Palace and the Castle. You've always been able to see them.

How is that any different?

gmajew

Premium Member
The China thing now got interesting. As we have more of the story and why and what may go bad now.

It is still not all doom and gloom and a lot of people guessing China is playing dirty now that this is out to disney.

We truly don't know yet. Will it get ugly my guess now would be yes but do any of us know for sure no!

Also I would love to see the contract showing the control of the IP. My guess would be the IP would be allowed to be used but only per tight guidelines from disney. And any exception would have right to pull clauses.

Hard to do but any company would have it. And if China governement screws to much with it our governement will apply pressure back. It is why all of this is so scary. Something this dumb could fray relations with us for a long time.

PhotoDave219

Iger has potentially gotten involved with a corrupt member of the Chinese government, who gained personally from construction such as Disneyland. The government are now investigating and if he has gotten into dodgy water then it could have serious repercussions on him, and the company.

The Chinese have a majority ownership of the resort, and are now rubbing it into Iger's face? Now Iger has to pretend that he still has control of the situation, but China basically owns this now. (Also I'm guessing Gary is the Viacom chief?)

So did Iger's believe this park would help the relationship Disney has with China? Instead, has it opened him to humiliation. And does this have the potential to ruin his career at Disney?

C) Disney has more or less given China access to their IPs and that's potentially very bad news for them

P.S. Also, imagine how good this would be as a House of Cards style political drama. Heck, just cast Kevin spacey as Iger doing the Frank underwood stuff! :D

Excellent way of summing up. Nicely done.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I'm still confused. The only way Tomorrowland is (barely) visible is when you exit Adventureland. And if you look at the concept art, you will see that there will be more trees planted in that area as I mentioned. Nevertheless, as you exit Adventureland you can see the Crystal Palace and the Castle. You've always been able to see them.

How is that any different?
Now, now, you can't go and bring common sense and logic in here. :cool:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Excellent summary

On item A Wall St is going to like him a LOT less!

matt9112

A bit more accurate comparison:

83a647c0.jpg

scwdwdl123456LARGE.jpg

Anyway, back to the important stuff. That China news on the graft arrest is VERY interesting. Really hope someone in a position to write some thing makes the connection between the tourist zone and Disney and the $800 million and starts asking questions. It's all circumstantial, but it sure is a lot of coincidences that all seem to line up.

This whole story was just a bit of smoke a few weeks ago and it just became a nice little brush fire. Wouldn't take much it looks like for it to become a raging inferno.

honestly i dont mind the lack of boats for what its worth...if those trees grow a bit it will be ok....less trees is really just a theme park trend guys....the classic park feel just is going away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom