A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

WDW really could use another moderate resort. They are the sweet spot for many guests - the deluxe are priced too high (well, all WDW resorts are priced too high, but the deluxes are unattainable for many) and the values have small rooms and are too heavily aimed at kids with the theming. The moderates are a good mix of relaxed theming and value (once again, in terms of on-site Disney), and are usually packed. Given that it has been almost 20 years since Coronado Springs opened, I'd love to see a new moderate pop up.
Id love another moderate to try and I love Coronado Springs still but I refuse to pay that much for a hotel that is only slightly better than Pop. Caribbean was worse than all stars last time we visited.

Travel Junkie

I have no idea if that was on the table at some point, but it's not anymore. So far the 2nd gate for HKDL is leaning toward a new park concept/theme, not a replica or take-off of an existing Disney park elsewhere.

An original concept? What a novel idea. It is becoming increasingly evident that the only places that seem to get it are Japan and China.

BrianLo

If that is the the case, and it appears to be, then Disney needs to beg Shendi and the central government for more land. It sounds funny that they would need more land given they have only developed a portion of the property, but I have some long term concerns. Disney wants Shanghai to be a second WDW, ignoring that TDR performs favorably compared to WDW, which means they will need tens of thousands of hotel rooms 15-20 years out as well as one or two more gates and other recreational opportunities (water parks, golf courses, etc). With the current plot of land, they have room for many more hotels as demand necessitates their construction, but if you look closely....

There is only room for one more gate!!!!

The South West corner is the plot meant for the third gate. Accounting for all the extras being left out like the bus loops and the downtown disney area it's roughly equal in acreage to the plots for Disneyland and gate two.

Now it doesn't have room for a fourth... but the long term plans always called for three (as they should).

They still don't have the land to be absolutely neglectful like they do at WDW, but TDR/DLR-like land woes this is not.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd love to hear more about this....

Honestly, I had the current concept described to me and I didn't understand it. It didn't sound particularly groundbreaking (like Epcot or DisneySea, for example), just very heavily IP based. And that shouldn't surprise anyone keeping track of Iger-era Disney.

And really, it's so far out right now that any details are all but useless. I think it would be safe to assume it will be very IP heavy as opposed to brand new non-movie themed areas and attractions.

The other wrench in the works is that the HK government is so involved in the approvals process. I see that Alain's article points to 2020 as the rumored opening, and I was told it wouldn't be that soon. We're still at least six years away from it - at the earliest.

PhotoDave219

Honestly, I had the current concept described to me and I didn't understand it. It didn't sound particularly groundbreaking (like Epcot or DisneySea, for example), just very heavily IP based. And that shouldn't surprise anyone keeping track of Iger-era Disney.

And really, it's so far out right now that any details are all but useless. I think it would be safe to assume it will be very IP heavy as opposed to brand new non-movie themed areas and attractions.

The other wrench in the works is that the HK government is so involved in the approvals process. I see that Alain's article points to 2020 as the rumored opening, and I was told it wouldn't be that soon. We're still at least six years away from it - at the earliest.

Well everything is working on a five-to-seven year plan. Everything.

ParentsOf4

I saw, but didn't comment yet on a post by @ParentsOf4 where he attempts go list what he views as 'positives' for WDW under Bob Iger without adding the 'buts' and the 'howevers' ....he's a better man than me because I can't do that. That is grading Disney on a curve and I won't play that game.
I didn't grade on a curve.

I only acknowledged that they answered some of the questions on the test correctly. :p

Besides, if you look at the list I created, it's for the entire 21st Century, not just for Iger's 9 years as CEO.

Half the items on the list came from Eisner. These were from the first 5 years of the century during Eisner's "bad years".

Eisner did more for WDW during his worst 5 years than Iger has done in his first 9. :D

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Igerland?

PhotoDave219

I didn't grade on a curve.

I only acknowledged that they answered some of the questions on the test correctly. :p

Besides, if you look at the list I created, it's for the entire 21st Century, not just for Iger's 9 years as CEO.

Half the items on the list came from Eisner. These were from the first 5 years of the century during Eisner's "bad years".

Eisner did more for WDW during his worst 5 years than Iger has done in his first 9. :D

You've clearly identified the problem: Iger is a great CEO for every division of TWDC but P&R. He's great if you're a shareholder. He's done a lot for the company as a whole.....

.... but as you've mentioned a lot, he "aint done spit" for P&R.

tirian

As I have previously posted, any hotel company would die for 80% plus occupancy. Further, once it’s near 90 its time to start building more rooms. Look back and you will see I previously posted Disney should start planning more hotel rooms. The time is now here. They can't wait much longer. Build 5,000 more moderate and value hotels over the next few years. That along with the Flamingo Crossing hotels will take care of the majority of rooms. However, they also need to build a big new DVC resorts at River Country. That would take care of the deluxe rooms. Then as Pof4 has said and so have many others it's time to start building more capacity in the 4 existing parks and plan on the 5th. This is needed or the is no more room for growth. Disney needs to plan capacity for 75,000,000 in attendance in 2021. 7% increase in attendance for the quarter and 3% more in future reservations shows they need more capacity.

But where are those people going to go?

The parks can barely handle their current crowd levels. The MK is gridlocked when one E-ticket goes down because it has fewer attractions than DL; EPCOT has only two attractions that draw crowds; DHS won't see an expansion for years; DAK is playing catch-up to a decade of near-neglect. If Iger and Staggs were truly savvy businessmen, they would have invested in growth to accompany the increased sales of DVC.

One of the conceits behind Magic Bands was that it would distribute crowds and avoid adding rides for at least another 5–8 years. That has proven to be nothing more than a pipe dream—hence the expansion at DHS and DAK. But the Board isn't holding anyone responsible for this oversight.

tirian

You've clearly identified the problem: Iger is a great CEO for every division of TWDC but P&R. He's great if you're a shareholder. He's done a lot for the company as a whole.....

.... but as you've mentioned a lot, he "aint done spit" for P&R.
Is he really that great? The most heavily marketed Disney tentpoles from the last five years have been terrible movies, regardless of how much money they made. John Carter, Lone Ranger, Oz, Maleficent—the list isn't particularly astounding. The WDC doesn't treat its animated films as tentpoles like it did in the early 90s. Marvel movies do well because they follow the same formula, and Disney stays out the way.

Then there's Frozen, a movie Disney barely promoted because the leadership expected it to flop. Hardly any merchandise accompanied its release. The theme park tie-ins came a year after the movie premiered.

And as long as the WDC is financially successful, Wall Street won't bat an eye. The current regime at Disney is incredibly lucky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom