A Spirited Perfect Ten

Rodan75

I think the next 36 months will be crucial for Burke, he has a lot to prove out...even to keep his chair at Comcast. The deal with Legendary isn't looking that robust, NBC has to prove that they are more than James Spader and a rapidly aging Voice, NBC News is suffering another critical blow, and the cable channels are in the midst of reinvention.

Burke has to deliever on more than theme parks to prove to wall street he should stay at NBCUniversal, let alone take the reigns at TWDC and sit in the big chair.

PhotoDave219

I think the next 36 months will be crucial for Burke, he has a lot to prove out...even to keep his chair at Comcast. The deal with Legendary isn't looking that robust, NBC has to prove that they are more than James Spader and a rapidly aging Voice, NBC News is suffering another critical blow, and the cable channels are in the midst of reinvention.

Burke has to deliever on more than theme parks to prove to wall street he should stay at NBCUniversal, let alone take the reigns at TWDC and sit in the big chair.

That's a fun balance. @71jason had some interpretive observations earlier about Universal's theme parks and how While they can build, little operational details seem to inexplicably escape them.

The other school of thought (as reinforced by @ParentsOf4 ) is that a CEO can be fantastic for a business from a Wall Street perspective but be horrid for theme parks. (see also "Iger, Robert") Disney's stock price is through the roof but the theme parks are.... Well they no longer meet up with the Disney standards or what Disney used to mean.

I think Burke will be fine. He needs to focus on the business end, non parks part of his business. And cleaning up his customer service might be the first thing he needs to do....

the.dreamfinder

Nice find. That's a bit of shocker because it looks like the announced shopping village being developed by Value Retail and Shendi:
value-retail-shanghai.jpg

When I heard about this I never thought it would be inside the Shanghai Disney Resort proper, but it is and linked directly to the lake. I guess DLP's Val d'Europe shopping district is a similar idea. Very interesting.

As an aside, Google Maps for me is still showing the older imagery. How does one view the updated stuff?
If that is the the case, and it appears to be, then Disney needs to beg Shendi and the central government for more land. It sounds funny that they would need more land given they have only developed a portion of the property, but I have some long term concerns. Disney wants Shanghai to be a second WDW, ignoring that TDR performs favorably compared to WDW, which means they will need tens of thousands of hotel rooms 15-20 years out as well as one or two more gates and other recreational opportunities (water parks, golf courses, etc). With the current plot of land, they have room for many more hotels as demand necessitates their construction, but if you look closely....
image.jpg

There is only room for one more gate!!!!
Shanghai Disneyland will need to serve a guest load comprable to WDW today in 20-25 years. If they cannot convince the government to allow them to acquire more land to grow the resort's offerings/capacity, SDR may never reach its true potential for Shendi and more importantly TWDC. After didn't some dead guy named Walt say his biggest regret with Disneyland was not buying more land?

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Weekend Quickees:

Might as well start with the item that will have the fanbois all hyperventilating since I've had another solid source confirm, but yes, finally, Disney is planning on announcing Star Wars plans for, at least, the USA parks at D23 in August. Most of the final decisions should be made by late spring/ early summer.

And, yes, please don't tell 'Phil K from Celebration' that nothing appears to have changed on Toontown getting demo'd in Anaheim.

No, I have no other information to release at this time. Bother @Lee, he needs the attention. Or maybe @articos who I see has returned here to 1-2 threads that are not this one.

Folks keep sending me notes regarding Michael Eisner's glowing praise for Tom Staggs in Meg James's piece in the LA Times (how that piece of work has kept her job never ceases to amaze me). They seem to feel he has to be insincere, but that isn't the case at all. Michael is quite fond of Tom. Has been since the 90s. Remember, one of MDE's biggest mistakes in his tenure was Strategic Planning and I don't think he has figured that out to this day, which is sad.

Of course, everyone seems to miss that even Michael qualified his praise for Tom by saying he was the best INTERNAL candidate to replace Bob. Sadly, I can't really disagree with that.

No, I don't like the work around the ToL at DAK. It's another Hub situation, another attempt to remove greenery and water to allow for more people (most pushing strollers or riding ECVs). This is on top of the greenery disappearing near the water to make way for viewing areas for Rivers of Light.

One of the best parts of DAK, all Disney parks really, is the ability to turn a corner and be alone in a very crowded place. I recall Steve Birnbaum (when he was a man, not a BRAND that Disney owned) calling them 'nooks and crannies' (true, he said this in the pre-fanbois on the 'net age when it didn't sound so damn dirty!) and I would agree. DAK was designed so that you could lose yourself and make discoveries and it is heartbreaking to see trees chopped down and paths widened like it was the MK (and not the good one with trees and working fountains and planters instead of stroller parking lots that existed for 2-3 decades).

It's very much like the angst I see from Anaheim fanbois (like my good pal Andy Castro) over the destruction of much of NoS, which I totally agree with them on (have you seen the lovely mall Pandora shop that opened? They should do a Sunglass Hut next door and maybe a Cinnabon ... Which is a great segue to the next note for those who were watching AMC tonight)

Very much enjoyed (NO SPOILER ZONE, breaking this policy means you have to share a kiss with the Lifestyler, Twit, or Blogger of my choice ...oh, a real kiss!) the return of The Walking Dead tonight. Thought it was one of their better episodes. But it didn't come close to my enjoyment of Better Call Saul's debut. Gilligan and Gould just delivered the perfect off-beat, yet at times poignant and other times funny, storytelling that you don't get. Loved the ending and looking forward to episode two tomorrow.

You know how you know you're important? Getting a company's CEO to call you at 9:56 on a Sunday morning because you aren't pleased with the way his company delivered their product to you. And too bad for him that he'll have to wait for tomorrow afternoon for a callback as I only do business on Sunday when I feel like it.

OK, so we are only like five plus weeks into the new year, but I admit I'd like to lose myself in a theme park if a place on St. John isn't feasible. I'd love to talk Angie into early retirement, but apparently the German people need her.

I saw, but didn't comment yet on a post by @ParentsOf4 where he attempts go list what he views as 'positives' for WDW under Bob Iger without adding the 'buts' and the 'howevers' ....he's a better man than me because I can't do that. That is grading Disney on a curve and I won't play that game.

Y'all have great weeks!

Last edited:

articos

Might as well start with the item that will have the fanbois all hyperventilating since I've had another solid source confirm, but yes, finally, Disney is planning on announcing Star Wars plans for, at least, the USA parks at D23 in August. Most of the final decisions should be made by late spring/ early summer.

And, yes, please don't tell 'Phil K from Celebration' that nothing appears to have changed on Toontown getting demo'd in Anaheim.

No, I have no other information to release at this time. Bother @Lee, he needs the attention. Or maybe @articos who I see has returned here to 1-2 threads that are not this one.

Folks keep sending me notes regarding Michael Eisner's glowing praise for Tom Staggs in Meg James's piece in the LA Times (how that piece of work has kept her job never ceases to amaze me). They seem to feel he has to be insincere, but that isn't the case at all. Michael is quite fond of Tom. Has been since the 90s. Remember, one of MDE's biggest mistakes in his tenure was Strategic Planning and I don't think he has figured that out to this day, which is sad.

Of course, everyone seems to miss that even Michael qualified his praise for Tom by saying he was the best INTERNAL candidate to replace Bob. Sadly, I can't really disagree with that.

No, I don't like the work around the ToL at DAK. It's another Hub situation, another attempt to remove greenery and water to allow for more people (most pushing strollers or riding ECVs). This is on top of the greenery disappearing near the water to make way for viewing areas for Rivers of Light.

One of the best parts of DAK, all Disney parks really, is the ability to turn a corner and be alone in a very crowded place. I recall Steve Birnbaum (when he was a man, not a BRAND that Disney owned) calling them 'nooks and crannies' (true, he said this in the pre-fanbois on the 'net age when it didn't sound so **** dirty!) and I would agree. DAK was designed so that you could lose yourself and make discoveries and it is heartbreaking to see trees chopped down and paths widened like it was the MK (and not the good one with trees and working fountains and planters instead of stroller parking lots that existed for 2-3 decades).

It's very much like the angst I see from Anaheim fanbois (like my good pal Andy Castro) over the destruction of much of NoS, which I totally agree with them on (have you seen the lovely mall Pandora shop that opened? They should do a Sunglass Hut next door and maybe a Cinnabon ... Which is a great segue to the next note for those who were watching AMC tonight)

Very much enjoyed (NO SPOILER ZONE, breaking this policy means you have to share a kiss with the Lifestyler, Twit, or Blogger of my choice ...oh, a real kiss!) the return of The Walking Dead tonight. Thought it was one of their better episodes. But it didn't come close to my enjoyment of Better Call Saul's debut. Gilligan and Gould just delivered the perfect off-beat, yet at times poignant and other times funny, storytelling that you don't get. Loved the ending and looking forward to episode two tomorrow.

You know how you know you're important? Getting a company's CEO to call you at 9:56 on a Sunday morning because you aren't pleased with the way his company delivered their product to you. And too bad for him that he'll have to wait for tomorrow afternoon for a callback as I only do business on Sunday when I feel like it.

OK, so we are only like five plus weeks into the new year, but I admit I'd like to lose myself in a theme park if a place on St. John isn't feasible. I'd love to talk Angie into early retirement, but apparently the German people need her.

I saw, but didn't comment yet on a post by @ParentsOf4 where he attempts go list what he views as 'positives' for WDW under Bob Iger without adding the 'buts' and the 'howevers' ....he's a better man than me because I can't do that. That is grading Disney on a curve and I won't play that game.

Y'all have great weeks!
I'm here, but ain't no way I'm going through 174 pages. :)

Agreed.

One of the best parts of DAK, all Disney parks really, is the ability to turn a corner and be alone in a very crowded place. I recall Steve Birnbaum (when he was a man, not a BRAND that Disney owned) calling them 'nooks and crannies' (true, he said this in the pre-fanbois on the 'net age when it didn't sound so **** dirty!) and I would agree. DAK was designed so that you could lose yourself and make discoveries and it is heartbreaking to see trees chopped down and paths widened like it was the MK (and not the good one with trees and working fountains and planters instead of stroller parking lots that existed for 2-3 decades).

And agreed.

Progress.City

Burke was being groomed by Eisner to be his successor. Bob did the end around and schmoozed the BoD. It was this BoD that passed on Burke causing him to leave. They will not get him back.

Burke as CEO and Ouimett as head of P&R would be a dream team. It's a shame both will refuse any offer from The Mouse House.
That explains a lot! Thanks for posting!

Mike S

Y'all have great weeks!
Pretty good thing that I finally went to Disneyland when I did or else I never would've seen Toontown and Roger Rabbit. Can't wait for the Star Wars announcement :D

twebber55

Y'all have great weeks!
gotta make an announcement about the announcement so all the SW fans will be in attendance

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If that is the the case, and it appears to be, then Disney needs to beg Shendi and the central government for more land. It sounds funny that they would need more land given they have only developed a portion of the property, but I have some long term concerns. Disney wants Shanghai to be a second WDW, ignoring that TDR performs pretty well compared to WDW, which means they will need tens of thousands of hotel rooms 15-20 years out as well as one or two more gates and other recreational opportunities (water parks, golf courses, etc). With the current plot of land, they have room for many more hotels as demand necessitates their construction, but if you look closely....
View attachment 82292
There is only room for one more gate!!!!
Shanghai Disneyland will need to serve a guest load comprable to WDW today in 20-25 years. If they cannot convince the government to allow them to acquire more land to grow the resort's offerings/capacity, SDR may never reach its true potential for Shendi and more importantly TWDC. After didn't some dead guy named Walt say his biggest regret with Disneyland was not buying more land?

It's China this property belongs to the Chinese government if they need more room they will simply TAKE IT from whatever concern is currently using it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom