A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

If you are referring to what I said - it was the "view" - the overall layout - the feel of a lot of the main buildings and their looks. Obviously, individual pavilions have changed - many internally, some externally - but overall - a map of Epcot doesn't look really any different than the late 80's when the last plots of land were developed.

So, since they obviously have no interest in "expanding" the park, just continually re-working what's already in it - yeah, I'm glad stuff isn't being left to rot like UoE (though that one secretly tickles me, since Bill Nye would do anything in the world to get out of being reminded "hey my kids and I just saw that at WDW" and the steam coming out of his ears every time he hears it haha).

I want so much more - but if they are at least doing something, something that interests more guests than what was there, yeah, I can't say that I feel the angst - I feel the loss, but I also see the few crumbs of gain and happier guests. I realize that most folks look at it from a much more visceral philosophical point of view, but after so many years I'm realizing that my memories will never be brought to life again, so I'll take what we can get.
I get where you're coming from, I do, but I just can't bring myself to say "please sir, can I have some more?" when Disney continues to trash what made Epcot amazing with quick, cheap, and easy band-aid fixes.

AEfx

I get where you're coming from, I do, but I just can't bring myself to say "please sir, can I have some more?" when Disney continues to trash what made Epcot amazing with quick, cheap, and easy band-aid fixes.

I'm not asking "please sir, can I have some more?" - but when the hand is offered out to me, I'm not going to slap it away and spill the food on the floor, either. He doesn't care if I eat or not. I'd love to just stay on a hunger strike, but like I said - I'm just too starved not to. I do fantasize about having a steak dinner again - and I believe it can happen - but I know that how I feel about these new things isn't going to change how quickly or slowly those might or might not be coming. Just not worth my angst over something that I can't change.

MerlinTheGoat

Again the park has changed visually since the 80s and early 90s, immensely so. The Future World side anyways. As I mentioned, there was an attempt to mix in different architecture starting in the mid-late 90's and not much thought was put into it at all, neither how it looked on its own nor how it would meld with the older buildings. EPCOT had a very cohesive visual style originally, that was and continues to be compromised starting in the 90's. From Innoventions and recently with its ugly new paint job, to Test Track and the ugly surrounding track and scaffolding, to the Seas' Nemo overlay (reaching even to the outside), to Imagination's garish orange paint job, Soarin's large distracting showbuilding and Spaceship Earth's tombstones. There's also a lot of inappropriate landscaping in Future World as well.

I don't think there was anything wrong with EPCOT's original look, and even today I feel it still looked cool. I still appreciate watching old videos of the park from before the changes, and there's no question that it had an extremely different visual feel from how it does currently.-

The real problem again is traceable back to the poor design decisions initiated starting in the mid 90's and still continuing today. Poor designs that make the park look worse overall, made worse because there are still remnants of the old park (which still look cool on their own, what's left of it anyways) that clash with the new design elements.

World Showcase in general still looks pretty awesome at least, not much has been altered visually there on the outside.

Last edited:

Mike S

I'm not asking "please sir, can I have some more?" - but when the hand is offered out to me, I'm not going to slap it away and spill the food on the floor, either. He doesn't care if I eat or not. I'd love to just stay on a hunger strike, but like I said - I'm just too starved not to. I do fantasize about having a steak dinner again - and I believe it can happen - but I know that how I feel about these new things isn't going to change how quickly or slowly those might or might not be coming. Just not worth my angst over something that I can't change.
The thing is though while one hand is giving out the crumbs, there is also another one giving out that steak dinner. I've got no problem slapping away the crumbs given out by Disney in a situation like that.

Cesar R M

Wow, that was bad. How could they mess it up so much? Unless some serious improvements are made I don't want this in Orlando, put the money towards Jurassic Park.

Vin Diesel compared to the helicopter........ :facepalm::hilarious:
lol, the action scenes parts were hilariously bad.. agree with the helicopter thing!so funny!

also the physics and effects.. almost looked like a GRAND THIEF AUTO game.

PhotoDave219

The fact that this is an established business model isn't news however the lackluster implementation is the concern I have for the brand going forward. This coupled with the restricted access to characters and the logistics issues with merchandise like popcorn buckets creates concern for future profitability in my opinion.

Well if you're constantly running out of Boba Fett steins and Han Solo popcorn buckets, clearly youre woefully underestimating demand.

PhotoDave219

Again the park has changed visually since the 80s and early 90s, immensely so. The Future World side anyways. As I mentioned, there was an attempt to mix in different architecture starting in the mid-late 90's and not much thought was put into it at all, neither how it looked on its own nor how it would meld with the older buildings. EPCOT had a very cohesive visual style originally, that was and continues to be compromised starting in the 90's. From Innoventions and recently with its ugly new paint job, to Test Track and the ugly surrounding track and scaffolding, to the Seas' Nemo overlay (reaching even to the outside), to Imagination's garish orange paint job, Soarin's large distracting showbuilding and Spaceship Earth's tombstones. There's also a lot of inappropriate landscaping in Future World as well.

I don't think there was anything wrong with EPCOT's original look, and even today I feel it still looked cool. I still appreciate watching old videos of the park from before the changes, and there's no question that it had an extremely different visual feel from how it does currently.-

The real problem again is traceable back to the poor design decisions initiated starting in the mid 90's and still continuing today. Poor designs that make the park look worse overall, made worse because there are still remnants of the old park (which still look cool on their own, what's left of it anyways) that clash with the new design elements.

World Showcase in general still looks pretty awesome at least, not much has been altered visually there on the outside.

Look at all those lines. WOW.

PhotoDave219

I'd love to see Eo totally restored, original in theater effects, SE of the film...everyone but Michael is still alive. I know folks see it as terribly outdated, and this will be a severely minority opinion - but if they gave it the first class treatment, added a new song and some edits/updated film effects - it really could be quite cool again.

I'm not sure if a family theme park is the right place to promote Michael Jackson, given the numerous, numerous, numerous allegations that have come forth against him.

I understand the resurgence in his popularity but he has no place in a child's theme park.

BrerJon

I'm about 150 pages behind on this thread so I know Tomorrowland is old news, apologies, but I had to post my thoughts as they tie in to one or two common topics here.

I loved the movie. It needs a polish, and a reworked third act, for sure, but I've seen so much worse, and it definitely should be rating higher than 50%. I'll get the Blu-Ray on the first day.

The superficial fanboy touches were lovely - the opening Space Mountain logo was wonderful, the World's Fair sequence made me feel like a kid again - that sense of wonder at the World's Fair was me at EPCOT in the early 90s - and the spirit of EPCOT was strong enough to make me sad that there are clearly people at Disney who 'get it', and yet seem so afraid to speak up when the reality is so far removed from the fantasy and ideals the movie emboldens. In many ways it carries the message of the Doom and Gloomers but in a way that the Pixie Dusters don't seem to notice.

When they refer to Tomorrowland visions as being advertisements filled with magic and dreams but reality being a crumbling shell of that vision... well, yeah that's WDW all over.

I've just returned from a (nowadays rare) visit to WDW (more later) but what was most striking was there were *no* Tomorrowland pins on sale anywhere. Nothing. Sure, the movie didn't do well, and I was visiting a couple of weeks after release, but I can't see anyone who liked it even a little not wanting one of those babies so was expecting them everywhere. Did Disney really have so little faith in the movie that they didn't even try to make any merchandise? If after being burned by lack of Frozen preparation they still didn't produce anything, they must really have decided this was one to bury quickly well in advance.

Mike S

I'm about 150 pages behind on this thread so I know Tomorrowland is old news, apologies, but I had to post my thoughts as they tie in to one or two common topics here.

I loved the movie. It needs a polish, and a reworked third act, for sure, but I've seen so much worse, and it definitely should be rating higher than 50%. I'll get the Blu-Ray on the first day.

The superficial fanboy touches were lovely - the opening Space Mountain logo was wonderful, the World's Fair sequence made me feel like a kid again - that sense of wonder at the World's Fair was me at EPCOT in the early 90s - and the spirit of EPCOT was strong enough to make me sad that there are clearly people at Disney who 'get it', and yet seem so afraid to speak up when the reality is so far removed from the fantasy and ideals the movie emboldens. In many ways it carries the message of the Doom and Gloomers but in a way that the Pixie Dusters don't seem to notice.

When they refer to Tomorrowland visions as being advertisements filled with magic and dreams but reality being a crumbling shell of that vision... well, yeah that's WDW all over.

I've just returned from a (nowadays rare) visit to WDW (more later) but what was most striking was there were *no* Tomorrowland pins on sale anywhere. Nothing. Sure, the movie didn't do well, and I was visiting a couple of weeks after release, but I can't see anyone who liked it even a little not wanting one of those babies so was expecting them everywhere. Did Disney really have so little faith in the movie that they didn't even try to make any merchandise? If after being burned by lack of Frozen preparation they still didn't produce anything, they must really have decided this was one to bury quickly well in advance.
What you put in the spoiler tag is so true. Makes you think if it was on purpose.

About the pins they did have them. They were free if you did a Chevy survey at Test Track. That's how I got mine.

BrerJon

So for the first time I used Fastpass+ with the MDE app on my recent visit (I'll give my thoughts in a later post) but as a result just got emailed a survey. "We're looking for feedback from Guests as they prepare for upcoming visits to our resort, and we would appreciate if the person in your travel party who visited DisneyWorld.com orMyDisneyExperience.com would take a brief survey about their experience."

Excellent, I thought, now to tell them what I really think.

First question: "Are you thinking about visiting WDW again in the next 12 months?"

I answer 'no' - ready to give my reasons and explain what was wrong and why I won't be back soon, but could change my mind if certain things change. But no, this is what I get in response:

"Thank you for your willingness to participate, but for this survey we are looking for individuals who match a different profile."

Boy, if I ran a company where someone had just visited then said they wouldn't be back, and had gone to the trouble of clicking a link to reply to a survey, I'd be dying to know what their reasons were, not shutting them off without any interest in what they had to say. What a waste of an opportunity. I really don't understand the mindset of TWDC sometimes.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So for the first time I used Fastpass+ with the MDE app on my recent visit (I'll give my thoughts in a later post) but as a result just got emailed a survey. "We're looking for feedback from Guests as they prepare for upcoming visits to our resort, and we would appreciate if the person in your travel party who visited DisneyWorld.com orMyDisneyExperience.com would take a brief survey about their experience."

First question: "Are you thinking about visiting WDW in the next 12 months?"

I answer no - ready to give my reasons and explain what was wrong and why I won't be back soon, but could change my mind if certain things change. But no, this is what I get in response:

"Thank you for your willingness to participate, but for this survey we are looking for individuals who match a different profile."

Boy, if I ran a company where someone had just visited then said they wouldn't be back, and had gone to the trouble of clicking a link to reply to a survey, I'd be dying to know what their reasons were, not shutting them off without any interest in what they had to say. What a waste of an opportunity. I really don't understand the mindset of TWDC sometimes.

Wow

Mike S

First question: "Are you thinking about visiting WDW in the next 12 months?"

I answer no - ready to give my reasons and explain what was wrong and why I won't be back soon, but could change my mind if certain things change. But no, this is what I get in response:

The mindset is that they desperately want to make MM+/- look like a success, so no negativity allowed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom