A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

Kinda hoping that's the case because I hate everything about those rumors that Disney might be jumping the gun and shoving it into Imagination. Like I'm so paranoid about it I'm thinking of waiting a month or something before seeing it in theaters.
That's how terrified I am of Bob's mindset now, I'm holding off on seeing what sounds like a really good movie because I don't want it to sabotage Imagination's ideal direction for redemption.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't, though.

They waited too long for Frozen...Wait longer for Inside out...

Yes, I know we'd all prefer if these things got their own, unique, new rides on new land, but they just aren't doing that right now. Imagination has been a crap hole since the turn of the century, if this finally gets something done - as much as the hints of Figment here and there (comic, etc.) - I just don't think keeping that attraction a piece of garbage in the slim hopes that Disney somehow decides to build some massive expensive new Figment attraction is worth it.

That said, I'd greatly prefer a return to the past instead - I won't be seeing Inside Out, I have...issues with the concept - but since folks seem to think the world of it so far, if it's going to get something decent in that building again, hey - build it, man. Better than nothing, and the slimmest of chances that they would ever restore the original attraction isn't enough to keep it in it's current state, IMO.

mahnamahna101

Yes, I know we'd all prefer if these things got their own, unique, new rides on new land, but they just aren't doing that right now. Imagination has been a crap hole since the turn of the century, if this finally gets something done - as much as the hints of Figment here and there (comic, etc.) - I just don't think keeping that attraction a piece of garbage in the slim hopes that Disney somehow decides to build some massive expensive new Figment attraction is worth it.

That said, I'd greatly prefer a return to the past instead - I won't be seeing Inside Out, I have...issues with the concept - but since folks seem to think the world of it so far, if it's going to get something decent in that building again, hey - build it, man. Better than nothing, and the slimmest of chances that they would ever restore the original attraction isn't enough to keep it in it's current state, IMO.
They could always make Inside Out the main attraction (a major trackless dark ride), while ImageWorks transitions to Figment/Dreamfinder.

Then, Figment/Dreamfinder get Captain EO's space in their own new show that maintains the spirit of the original 1983 attraction.

Not the best-case scenario, but if Imagination is getting an overhaul, they shouldn't close down EO without a replacement. Put Figment/Dreamfinder there, and let Inside Out have the actual dark ride space.

AEfx

Not the best-case scenario, but if Imagination is getting an overhaul, they shouldn't close down EO without a replacement. Put Figment/Dreamfinder there, and let Inside Out have the actual dark ride space.

I'd love to see Eo totally restored, original in theater effects, SE of the film...everyone but Michael is still alive. I know folks see it as terribly outdated, and this will be a severely minority opinion - but if they gave it the first class treatment, added a new song and some edits/updated film effects - it really could be quite cool again.

Mike S

The thing is though, there is another spot in Epcot for Inside Out to go to: Wonders of Life. Use it for Cranium Command and then do something else where Body Wars used to be. The pavilion has sat empty for way too long and Imagination needs some real, well, "Imagination." Not the Frostrom treatment.

mahnamahna101

The thing is though, there is another spot in Epcot for Inside Out to go to: Wonders of Life. Use it for Cranium Command and then do something else where Body Wars used to be. The pavilion has sat empty for way too long and Imagination needs some real, well, "Imagination." Not the Frostrom treatment.
TDO: ...expand the attraction count? In WDW? But our guests are already satisfied with the ones we have now... we just have to enhance what's already there!

It is pathetic that an entire pavillion has sat empty for this long. Not to mention the expansion pads, the empty Odyssey, the empty second floor of ImageWorks, the boarded up sections of Journey to Imagination, the empty second floors of Innoventions.

Overhauling Imagination and putting Inside Out in WoL is far better than IO for Imagination and an empty WoL.

mahnamahna101

I am so afraid that's what they are doing. The saving grace is they haven't actually started yet and apparently Universal knows its bad.

I now know what @WDW1974 meant with troubles brewing at Universal Creative.
Fallon and potentially this sounds like Comcast wanting to rush new additions rather than let them organically complete.

The good news is that Universal Creative appears to be hitting it out of the park with Kong and the upcoming Nintendo additions.

PhotoDave219

Someone mentioned that as a possibility but IDK if it's simply a fan rumor at this point or something serious.

The former WOL building makes more sense IMO & has more room to play. Bigger spot to be ambitious with.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Inside out is going to be an insane hit. Critics are loving it, the preview audiences are loving it. Canne loved it. But the odds of it resonating like Frozen? Not very likely.
Dont forget what Staggs said in that WSJ article about how they were planning an attraction before the movie hit theaters. What a crock of pooh. Im sure at some point when EVERY Disney movie is being made that talk of an attraction comes up at some point, but for Stags to act like they knew it was going to be a huge hit and they were planning it all along is ridiculous. They will just do the same thing for any other movie that becomes a mega blockbuster. They will drag their feet until they feel enough money has been made, then build something quickly (2 years by Dis standards) and then act like it was planned out.

They are so timid with their own product yet when it becomes successful they act like they never doubted it. It makes me sick, I dont even wanna look at his face! *punches magazine stand

@magicdisneypass

The thought of giving more space (or even really any space since there isn't some) to the "Disney Villains" has been a serious conversation for the last decade (or more). There has been massive success with "Halloween Events" featuring the villains. There were several concepts (BlueSky) that focused on villains. There was even a Heros/villians concept.

My hope is that the acquisition of "the Dark Side" will put the fire back into exploiting the other side of Disney's storys. Disney can still have the Villain's plan foiled at the end of the attraction if that is the foible with the idea. I can imagine a series of attractions focused on the telling of each villains story. Heck, they made a TV show out of the compelling nature of evil.

*1023*
villains are in vogue right now

Mike S

Someone mentioned that as a possibility but IDK if it's simply a fan rumor at this point or something serious.

The former WOL building makes more sense IMO & has more room to play. Bigger spot to be ambitious with.
I have to say when it comes to Inside Out I would prefer an AA show over a ride. The appeal of the emotions, to me, is how they would inereract with each other and I don't think that could translate to a ride very well. Plus you know a ride would just be a pseudo retread of the movie like Nemo.

truecoat

image.jpg
Basically an 1980s-esque flight simulator meant to replace Twister.

Insiders are saying it'll get a nice Rainbow Room/Rock Center facade, though.

I thought it was a Vekoma Soarin' clone. They are putting one in at the Mall o' America.

AEfx

I agree that would be great - I think the thing is there is an existing ride system in Imagination, and I believe @marni1971 would know best - but I'm pretty sure that the simulators aren't even in there anymore (I had heard they had been taking parts out of them for years as replacements for Star Tours to begin with).

So it's not that I don't agree completely that a) the best case scenario would be for it to be built into a brand new attraction (in WoL, or wherever), and b) that I'd rather have Imagination restored - but from a realist perspective, *anything* is better than the shell Imagination is now. I can't even think about that ride without that awful smell entering my nostrils like it was happening right now, LOL (and it's been a good five years since I ventured on).

That said...I gotta be a realist. I still hold out long-term hope that Disney starts treating WDW differently, I hope to Mickey they don't lose this chance they have with Star Wars...and I'm even hoping Avaturd turns out to be a good project (and I'm absolutely willing to enjoy it in spite of how I feel about the film - I'll stop calling it Avaturd when they impress me with the attractions - that's all I care about - I'll buy a freakin' $200 blue skin rug from them that says AVATAR FAN/CAMERON NERD on it if they do). But that's the only two nearly possible impressive things on the horizon (no pun intended) until NEXT DECADE.

In the meantime, I don't think WDW can afford to become even more museum-like than it is today. I mean, when you walk into EPCOT today, the view isn't much different than it was twenty-five years ago. The entire park is only a few years older than that. When people visit for the first time, or especially if they have been there a long time ago and are returning - they don't see "Future World" - they see "1980's World". We are holding on to that first ten years or so in spite of the last 20 years of stagnancy. I can still hold out hope that we get better times ahead, but since they aren't in the foreseeable future, I'll take what updates we can get because frankly it's so embarrassing in general.

Imagination sucks right now, something In and Out will likely suck less and make more guests happy. Just like Frozen - while I don't think Maelstrom sucked at all, it wasn't pulling in or attracting many guests, either. As pretty much everyone agrees, the bigger problem with Frozen is going to be handling the incredible demand, but - at least it's demanded and kids will have more fun reasons to go to WS aside from collecting stamps in a fake passport or making paper-plate masks.

In any case - I get why folks are passionate about projects like these, and I wouldn't ever think poorly of someone for fighting the good fight. Personally, though - I look at it as a realist and pragmatist - I'm barely down there once a year at this point because there isn't a dang thing different that I haven't done so many times that I can't sit and watch @marni1971's videos, or many of the great 4K/60FPS ride-throughs of the most current attractions folks are doing, all from my couch now and save myself a few thousand bucks when I get the itch.

I'll be down for Frozen previews, no doubt - and even though again I'm not even planning on seeing Inside Out the film, I'd probably do the same for their attraction. I'd probably watch Twitter (even though I don't Twit) to try to win into whatever special event contest they have for them like I did with the Star Tours 2 opening (that was so much fun - finally got around to having all four of my posters framed).

I'd much much much rather be going down for bigger stuff, though - and I still hope someday I will - but in the meantime, I can't just crap on everything they are doing when at least it's something - better than more rotting attractions. Especially with Imagination - because we'd just be hoping on a pipe dream that an attraction from 25 years ago will be restored. I want the big steak dinner, but I'm not going to turn my nose up at the bread crumbs I am being offered out of principle - I'm too starved to be on a hunger strike anymore.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't know why anyone would say that EPCOT feels like it hasn't changed since the 80's. That isn't the problem at all, it feels entirely different. I'd actually be happier with it if it hadn't changed since the 80's compared to the way it is now, that sort of stagnation would at least be preferable to what it is now. An old park in need of some updates, but at least still full of quality classic experiences. I'd rather ride moderately dated but fantastic rides like Horizons or World of Motion (WoM didn't even feel like it would have aged poorly apart from the short futuristic elements at the end) than a mediocre sim like Mission SPACE or a very thematically bare and bland ride like Test Track.

EPCOT doesn't feel like it did in the 80's through the early 90's, and in this case it's not a good thing. It's a completely different experience from that era, which even when new felt stagnant and bland due to the poor quality of the changes. Different can be a good thing if done correctly, the first two refurbishments of Spaceship Earth were fantastic and brought the ride up to more modern standards (not counting how it was dumbed down in 2007). But what they did to most of the attractions in the 90's and 2000's actually dated the rides even more than they already were, didn't help that the alterations made to Future World rides were immensely lower quality than their predecessors across the board.

I think one problem visually from the outside is that there's now a mishmash of architecture going on. Parts of the original EPCOT remain intact in some ways, but there are tons of other parts where they changed things and didn't plan out how they meld with the older architecture. It looks like a mess, and I again blame the newer buildings more than the old. Imagination and Land still have a cool presence with their glass roofs, but Imagination has some poorly thought out color schemes for the external. The Land removed a lot of murals and detail inside. But Innoventions has continually been butchered from a visual perspective over the years, most recently the new vomit-like paint job. The original World of Motion building used to have a simplistic elegance to it, now it has an ugly track wrapped around the side and scaffolding in front of the queue, it ruins the building. Not to mention the tombstones in front of Spaceship Earth.

Last edited:

Mike S

Hmm, appears my decision to not delay my trip for a visit to USH was well justified. Although I hope this doesn't drag down the Studio Tram Tour as a whole.

This may join the ranks of Antartica and Superstar Limo. Please tell me this is nothing like what Orlando is getting. o_O

Wow, that was bad. How could they mess it up so much? Unless some serious improvements are made I don't want this in Orlando, put the money towards Jurassic Park.

Vin Diesel compared to the helicopter........ :facepalm::hilarious:

AEfx

I don't know why anyone would say that EPCOT feels like it hasn't changed since the 80's.

If you are referring to what I said - it was the "view" - the overall layout - the feel of a lot of the main buildings and their looks. Obviously, individual pavilions have changed - many internally, some externally - but overall - a map of Epcot doesn't look really any different than the late 80's when the last plots of land were developed.

So, since they obviously have no interest in "expanding" the park, just continually re-working what's already in it - yeah, I'm glad stuff isn't being left to rot like UoE (though that one secretly tickles me, since Bill Nye would do anything in the world to get out of being reminded "hey my kids and I just saw that at WDW" and the steam coming out of his ears every time he hears it haha).

I want so much more - but if they are at least doing something, something that interests more guests than what was there, yeah, I can't say that I feel the angst - I feel the loss, but I also see the few crumbs of gain and happier guests. I realize that most folks look at it from a much more visceral philosophical point of view, but after so many years I'm realizing that my memories will never be brought to life again, so I'll take what we can get.

AEfx

Glad that the disclaimer at the bottom is there, as many copy/paste jobs omitted it:

Gary Snyder is a member of the Redstone family, whose company, National Amusements, owns Viacom and CBS, among other media assets. He is an advisor on Western media and culture to China.

I think it's always good when reading an opinion piece to keep in mind the author - which in this case, is someone who's family owns one of the largest theater chains (who have been at battle with Disney over box office percentages), and competitors to Disney like CBS and Paramount Pictures, among others.

That does not mean one should automatically dismiss his narrative, but it does help put them in a bit of perspective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom