A Spirited Perfect Ten

Bairstow

Wow, that was bad. How could they mess it up so much? Unless some serious improvements are made I don't want this in Orlando, put the money towards Jurassic Park.

Vin Diesel compared to the helicopter........ :facepalm::hilarious:

Yeah, that didn't look... natural.

I suppose I should just reserve judgement unless I actually ride the thing, but based on that video this is some of the worst-looking CGI ever used in an amusement park.

GiveMeTheMusic

Staggs was lying through his teeth about developing a Frozen ride from day one. WDPR didn't give two flying rat's patooties about Frozen until six months after it was released and made money. The ONLY person in WDI who was interested was Steve Davison, and he used it as the basis of Winter Dreams. Everyone else shrugged it off, and then had to scramble to capitalize later. Remember when they didn't make an Olaf costume initially and it took almost a year to get him out?

Almost like for Inside Out they've only made costumes for Joy & Sadness and they're not even putting them out (at least at DLR). Way to be on top of things! Fingers on the pulse, that's WDPR!

PhotoDave219

So for the first time I used Fastpass+ with the MDE app on my recent visit (I'll give my thoughts in a later post) but as a result just got emailed a survey. "We're looking for feedback from Guests as they prepare for upcoming visits to our resort, and we would appreciate if the person in your travel party who visited DisneyWorld.com orMyDisneyExperience.com would take a brief survey about their experience."

Excellent, I thought, now to tell them what I really think.

First question: "Are you thinking about visiting WDW in the next 12 months?"

I answer no - ready to give my reasons and explain what was wrong and why I won't be back soon, but could change my mind if certain things change. But no, this is what I get in response:

"Thank you for your willingness to participate, but for this survey we are looking for individuals who match a different profile."

Boy, if I ran a company where someone had just visited then said they wouldn't be back, and had gone to the trouble of clicking a link to reply to a survey, I'd be dying to know what their reasons were, not shutting them off without any interest in what they had to say. What a waste of an opportunity. I really don't understand the mindset of TWDC sometimes.

That's correct, they're only interested in your opinion if you meet certain criteria.

Bairstow

That's correct, they're only interested in your opinion if you meet certain criteria.

...which shouldn't be surprising or new.

I tried doing a post-Disney World online survey about two years ago and it kicked me out after asking me whether I had ever used the dining plan.
Can't say I was offended. If they don't need my data I don't want them to be wasting both of our time.

EDIT: I've since done post-trip surveys since then that didn't kick me out. The latest one was after my May visit to Disneyland. The survey seemed really interested in what I ate, and especially interested in everything I ate/did/bought at Downtown Disneyland.

Last edited:

AEfx

I understand the resurgence in his popularity but he has no place in a child's theme park.

Did you just call Epcot a "child's theme park"? ;)

In any case, he's actually seen a great deal of continued popularity among kids, he's been dead six years now, he's not still coasting on that.

Like I said, though, I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion. :)

TalkingHead

So for the first time I used Fastpass+ with the MDE app on my recent visit (I'll give my thoughts in a later post) but as a result just got emailed a survey. "We're looking for feedback from Guests as they prepare for upcoming visits to our resort, and we would appreciate if the person in your travel party who visited DisneyWorld.com orMyDisneyExperience.com would take a brief survey about their experience."

Excellent, I thought, now to tell them what I really think.

First question: "Are you thinking about visiting WDW in the next 12 months?"

I answer no - ready to give my reasons and explain what was wrong and why I won't be back soon, but could change my mind if certain things change. But no, this is what I get in response:

"Thank you for your willingness to participate, but for this survey we are looking for individuals who match a different profile."

Boy, if I ran a company where someone had just visited then said they wouldn't be back, and had gone to the trouble of clicking a link to reply to a survey, I'd be dying to know what their reasons were, not shutting them off without any interest in what they had to say. What a waste of an opportunity. I really don't understand the mindset of TWDC sometimes.

I guess that's how they computed the 98% MDE guest satisfaction statistic that was quoted awhile back.

FigmentJedi

I've just returned from a (nowadays rare) visit to WDW (more later) but what was most striking was there were *no* Tomorrowland pins on sale anywhere. Nothing. Sure, the movie didn't do well, and I was visiting a couple of weeks after release, but I can't see anyone who liked it even a little not wanting one of those babies so was expecting them everywhere. Did Disney really have so little faith in the movie that they didn't even try to make any merchandise? If after being burned by lack of Frozen preparation they still didn't produce anything, they must really have decided this was one to bury quickly well in advance.
There's merch, but it's all by Funko and distribution is limited (Like I haven't even seen any in Barnes and Noble and Funko loves putting their stuff out through there). I've only seen pins in a Hot Topic, but there's Pop figures and Reaction figures as well.

Tomorrowland Times made an amusing fake commercial for them

Travel Junkie

I saw an AP screening for Inside Out at DLR and will add to the consensus. A wonderful and original film. This is not a kids film that adults will enjoy. I think it is a film for adults that kids will also enjoy.

I'm not a fan of basing Future World attractions on films, but I could see this turned into an edutainment style attraction on the brain and emotions.

AEfx

Again the park has changed visually since the 80s and early 90s, immensely so.

Again you are entirely missing my point. Since what you are talking about has nothing to do with what I am, though, that's all that needs to be said. :)

jOdXRn8.jpg

brb1006

I saw an AP screening for Inside Out at DLR and will add to the consensus. A wonderful and original film. This is not a kids film that adults will enjoy. I think it is a film for adults that kids will also enjoy.

I'm not a fan of basing Future World attractions on films, but I could see this turned into an edutainment style attraction on the brain and emotions.
If Wonder Of Life was still open, that would make a perfect opportunity for the characters from Inside Out to have a show of their own.

Goofyernmost

If you are referring to what I said - it was the "view" - the overall layout - the feel of a lot of the main buildings and their looks. Obviously, individual pavilions have changed - many internally, some externally - but overall - a map of Epcot doesn't look really any different than the late 80's when the last plots of land were developed.

So, since they obviously have no interest in "expanding" the park, just continually re-working what's already in it - yeah, I'm glad stuff isn't being left to rot like UoE (though that one secretly tickles me, since Bill Nye would do anything in the world to get out of being reminded "hey my kids and I just saw that at WDW" and the steam coming out of his ears every time he hears it haha).

I want so much more - but if they are at least doing something, something that interests more guests than what was there, yeah, I can't say that I feel the angst - I feel the loss, but I also see the few crumbs of gain and happier guests. I realize that most folks look at it from a much more visceral philosophical point of view, but after so many years I'm realizing that my memories will never be brought to life again, so I'll take what we can get.
The only thing that I have any objection too right now is the pitiful state of Imagination. That is a travesty. I still enjoy all the rest. Wonders of Life, could use something, anything... just make it an attraction again.

AEfx

The only thing that I have any objection too right now is the pitiful state of Imagination. That is a travesty. I still enjoy all the rest. Wonders of Life, could use something, anything... just make it an attraction again.

That's a wonderful idea - if they did it, yay on them. That would be preferable. But I just can't get all angsty if it ends up going into Imagination instead, per the rumor.

AEfx

Well, hopefully with a company that size they could have more then one idea. There is no reason to not have both.

I'm sure there are plenty of ideas. But it's justifying the budget to pretty much build from scratch vs. using an existing ride system that I believe will be the kink.

I hope that changes, I really do - but the days of me expecting it to change after all these years are pretty much over, because I've had enough disappointment for one lifetime from WDW.

Goofyernmost

I'm sure there are plenty of ideas. But it's justifying the budget to pretty much build from scratch vs. using an existing ride system that I believe will be the kink.

I hope that changes, I really do - but the days of me expecting it to change after all these years are pretty much over, because I've had enough disappointment for one lifetime from WDW.
That is probably what they are thinking, but, it is the worlds worst excuse in a theme park. It's like having a merry go round that doesn't turn anymore and they don't want to replace the motor because it costs money to do so. No, I am not in the forgiving mood concerning missing and half missing attractions. There is no excuse at all.

Travel Junkie

If Wonder Of Life was still open, that would make a perfect opportunity for the characters from Inside Out to have a show of their own.

Right. The reason attractions based on films in Future World haven't worked is because they detract from the story trying to be told. Nemo does not enhance the story the Living Seas was trying to tell. Inside Out showcases enough of the complexities of the brain that it would serve as a great template that would teach us about emotions in an entertaining way, because at it's core that is what the film is about. If there was no movie and they decided to create an Epcot attraction based on the brain and emotions, Inside Out is how they would do it.

BrerJon

On China... you only have to look at how international parks are perceived internationally to see how it could pan out if Shendi did cut Disney out of the picture, and why it isn't a situation everyone's going to be desperate to avoid.

Disney isn't going to shout from the rooftops about how Iger has been played like a fiddle, they will keep quiet, and never mention Shanghai, like an illegitimate child they choose not to mention - it's not as if they promote Tokyo outside of Japan particularly often as it is, so not much change there. So there's little danger to the Chinese of Disney scaring off other companies - to save face, the mouse will be spinning the upsides of the deal for many years to come, no matter how bad a deal they end up having made.

We will see SDL for what it is, but the average international guest will barely know or care it exists, and Iger's Folly will become little more than a curious footnote in the company history, while the Chinese get a huge trophy and kudos at having beaten an American giant while barely trying.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom