A Spirited Perfect Ten

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
What can we little people do to effect change in the corporate mentality of the Disney conglomerate?

Become friends with Lisa Brenan-Jobs and solicit her help in replacing the executive team. You'll probably need a few more key investors as well. Keep in mind, when the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers. We could end up with a team oriented on shedding P&R as it is a "mature" business with little hope of sustained growth without massive investment.

As @PhotoDave219 has mentioned before, the best we could hope for is Uncle Bob is replaced by Kathleen Kennedy upon retirement. We've already shed (or will be) the wallet extracting Jay Rasulo. One can hope that in the next 2 years, Staggs get a "better" offer.

*1023*

PhotoDave219

Become friends with Lisa Brenan-Jobs and solicit her help in replacing the executive team. You'll probably need a few more key investors as well. Keep in mind, when the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers. We could end up with a team oriented on shedding P&R as it is a "mature" business with little hope of sustained growth without massive investment.

As @PhotoDave219 has mentioned before, the best we could hope for is Uncle Bob is replaced by Kathleen Kennedy upon retirement. We've already shed (or will be) the wallet extracting Jay Rasulo. One can hope that in the next 2 years, Staggs get a "better" offer.

*1023*
Again, it's not personal with Bob & Tom.... They're just not theme park guys. They're not creative guys. They're numbers guys. They understand instant return, not long-term return. Hell, con artists understand this better.

@magicdisneypass

*1023*

Again, it's not personal with Bob & Tom.... They're just not theme park guys. They're not creative guys. They're numbers guys. They understand instant return, not long-term return. Hell, con artists understand this better.

As a CPA I encourage my clients to develop their solid client base and stay true to their mission statement which earned them success, anything else will eventually result in subversion of the business model resulting in financial failure...

PhotoDave219

As a CPA I encourage my clients to develop their solid client base and stay true to their mission statement which earned them success, anything else will eventually result in subversion of the business model resulting in financial failure...

The current management feels that this is their mission. And they're personally making a ton of money in the process.... As they feel that is the metric of success.

The idea of having hit movies and then having theme park attractions based off them has been around since 1955 when Walt Disney himself used the stories he had the rights to and based attractions off them. So lets not think that this is some sort of revolutionary concept; no offense Bob & Tom but impressing a junior analyst from Wall Street isn't the most difficult thing in the world. Using words business buzzwords may impress a WSJ reporter but that isn't how normal people speak. It would be like describing the Frozenstrom makeover as "Leveraging a successful multi-million dollar IP into operationally proven systems architecture for domestic units and their progeny."

Point being, what they're doing in regards to a successful movie and cashing in on it through merchandise and attractions is Disney's bread and butter. Its what they've always done. I get that Tommy is happy that he came up with the Frozen Summer Fun (or came up with the 'You guys have 10 days to come up with something and execute it') but its hardly revolutionary. If they think it is, then they've been neglecting the parks or simply not paying attention since Eisner left. I'm not sure which of those is sadder.

And I have no idea why you wouldn't always have the blue sky teams just coming up with stuff, on the off chance you catch lightning in a bottle. Lets say that Frozen is an insane hit, how do we exploit it through the company (Or shall I say, leveraging it through multiple channels and segments through vertical integration?)

Inside out is going to be an insane hit. Critics are loving it, the preview audiences are loving it. Canne loved it. But the odds of it resonating like Frozen? Not very likely.

@magicdisneypass

The current management feels that this is their mission. And they're personally making a ton of money in the process.... As they feel that is the metric of success.

The idea of having hit movies and then having theme park attractions based off them has been around since 1955 when Walt Disney himself used the stories he had the rights to and based attractions off them. So lets not think that this is some sort of revolutionary concept; no offense Bob & Tom but impressing a junior analyst from Wall Street isn't the most difficult thing in the world. Using words business buzzwords may impress a WSJ reporter but that isn't how normal people speak. It would be like describing the Frozenstrom makeover as "Leveraging a successful multi-million dollar IP into operationally proven systems architecture for domestic units and their progeny."

Point being, what they're doing in regards to a successful movie and cashing in on it through merchandise and attractions is Disney's bread and butter. Its what they've always done. I get that Tommy is happy that he came up with the Frozen Summer Fun (or came up with the 'You guys have 10 days to come up with something and execute it') but its hardly revolutionary. If they think it is, then they've been neglecting the parks or simply not paying attention since Eisner left. I'm not sure which of those is sadder.

And I have no idea why you wouldn't always have the blue sky teams just coming up with stuff, on the off chance you catch lightning in a bottle. Lets say that Frozen is an insane hit, how do we exploit it through the company (Or shall I say, leveraging it through multiple channels and segments through vertical integration?)

Inside out is going to be an insane hit. Critics are loving it, the preview audiences are loving it. Canne loved it. But the odds of it resonating like Frozen? Not very likely.

The fact that this is an established business model isn't news however the lackluster implementation is the concern I have for the brand going forward. This coupled with the restricted access to characters and the logistics issues with merchandise like popcorn buckets creates concern for future profitability in my opinion.

hopemax

And the worst thing is, because it won't be Frozen, it will be treated as it doesn't exist at all, other than this initial marketing rush. Whatever merchandise they already created, will be all that comes out...maybe a new pin somewhere some Funko stuff done by them, not Disney. People could really like it, and want to see more done with the characters, and could actually grow long term interest. There's a lot Disney does with Alice in Wonderland, for example, but if it was strictly based on the movie's initial box office, none of that would be done under the current decision making process. It's still not considered a good movie, but the character design and sense of bright, colorful, fun resonates very well in a theme park environment, merchandise, etc.

@magicdisneypass

And the worst thing is, because it won't be Frozen, it will be treated as it doesn't exist at all, other than this initial marketing rush. Whatever merchandise they already created, will be all that comes out...maybe a new pin somewhere some Funko stuff done by them, not Disney. People could really like it, and want to see more done with the characters, and could actually grow long term interest. There's a lot Disney does with Alice in Wonderland, for example, but if it was strictly based on the movie's initial box office, none of that would be done under the current decision making process. It's still not considered a good movie, but the character design and sense of bright, colorful, fun resonates very well in a theme park environment, merchandise, etc.
sad right? you hit the nail! the REAL Quality is being subverted by this wave of popularity and the sacrifice will be staying power....

PhotoDave219

The best thing we can hope for is a fantastic reception and a huge box office.

Perhaps enough to bring it to Future World? We can only hope.

PhotoDave219

Help me obi wan.....youre my only hope! hahaha! I don't care what the nay sayers tout about Nintendo Disney was genius in purchasing star wars and that will be their saving grace mark my words....as long as they do it right!

It will be the saving grace of the studios. However, they're dragging their feet and very well could miss their window of opportunity here.

Studios have seen more peak crowds because of Star Wars Weekends. They have numbers. The only question is whether or not Darth Iger wants this to happen quick. There's still good in him, I can feel it.

@magicdisneypass

It will be the saving grace of the studios. However, they're dragging their feet and very well could miss their window of opportunity here.

Studios have seen more peak crowds because of Star Wars Weekends. They have numbers. The only question is whether or not Darth Iger wants this to happen quick. There's still good in him, I can feel it.

Honestly I feel like more dark side is what this brand needs! Disney will never bring in someone like me, I am too radical but I have some great business ideas for the brand that I would love to implement if I could get in at a corporate level.

FigmentJedi

Kinda hoping that's the case because I hate everything about those rumors that Disney might be jumping the gun and shoving it into Imagination. Like I'm so paranoid about it I'm thinking of waiting a month or something before seeing it in theaters.
That's how terrified I am of Bob's mindset now, I'm holding off on seeing what sounds like a really good movie because I don't want it to sabotage Imagination's ideal direction for redemption.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Honestly I feel like more dark side is what this brand needs! Disney will never bring in someone like me, I am too radical but I have some great business ideas for the brand that I would love to implement if I could get in at a corporate level.

The thought of giving more space (or even really any space since there isn't some) to the "Disney Villains" has been a serious conversation for the last decade (or more). There has been massive success with "Halloween Events" featuring the villains. There were several concepts (BlueSky) that focused on villains. There was even a Heros/villians concept.

My hope is that the acquisition of "the Dark Side" will put the fire back into exploiting the other side of Disney's storys. Disney can still have the Villain's plan foiled at the end of the attraction if that is the foible with the idea. I can imagine a series of attractions focused on the telling of each villains story. Heck, they made a TV show out of the compelling nature of evil.

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom