A Spirited Perfect Ten

UpAllNight

We are both in the minority, but I think Transformers KILLS Spiderman too.

Fantastically fun attraction.

Spiderman gains points because it was the original but there was a larger part of Transformers that made me feel more involved as if I was actually there. Disney have so many IP opportunities I don't know why they haven't used this technology in their stateside parks yet. Spiderman and Transformers both have such a wow factor to them.

Goofyernmost

Yes, well documented and covered years ago. Homogenization efforts that have hit many angles of the parks, from ops, to HR, to IT, to merch, etc.
Well, documented by this group on the boards. No facts back it up and there could be other reasons for the change. Could be cost, could be to curtail the handfuls that disappear and are taken home as souvenirs, could be ecological, but, it really doesn't matter what you wipe the ketchup off your face with and then promptly throw in the trash can (or with today's crowd, the ground). An embossed paper napkin never has logically added to anyone's enjoyment of the parks.

Even if it is a cost cutting method that some think is trivial, it is because of the inability to see the big picture and realize how many of those things that they basically, due to the nature of the product, throw away every single day.

Goofyernmost

Hello Kitty pushing out I Love Lucy would be like Beanie Babies pushing out Carousel of Progress. It just doesn't make any sense.

What an awful decision. Did Universal hire a former Disney executive of the 21st century who left to spend more time with his or her family?
Except that today's generation has only a limited idea of who Lucy was and a strong following for Hello Kitty. We must attempt to pull ourselves out of our time warp and become more aware of the world now and not what it once was. I do, however, agree with the evilness of Beanie Babies in place of CoP. Neither one of those is in vogue now.

Goofyernmost

Well the same supplier is fine. I'm sure they can do 1/2 Disneyland printing and half Walt Disney World
Come on Dave, you have been involved with publishing, but, probably not the printing end of it. There is a considerable difference in the cost to produce two images as opposed to one. The set up, especially with multi-color things is a big undertaking. It worked when Disney consisted of just two or three parks, but, to deal with that world wide is ginormous. The background, at least, is that Disney IS one company and although the attractions both in content and quality may differ from one place to another, it is still one company. It is easier to identify with one then dozens.

MKCP 1985

Beanie Babies made $800 million last year?

Also, how exactly does a bare-bones attraction dedicated to a show that's been off the air 50 years in a theme park that prides itself on being cutting edge "make sense"?

Beanie Babies' revenues were pretty impressive when their plush toys were the hot item. I will bet that when each have had their run, I Love Lucy will leave more of a mark than Hello Kitty.

I don't see Universal Studios going entirely for cutting edge with that area of the park being devoted architecturally to "Old Hollywood" and Marilyn Monroe making appearances nearby, but even if it is going for cutting edge . . . Hello Kitty?

Mike S

Well, documented by this group on the boards. No facts back it up and there could be other reasons for the change. Could be cost, could be to curtail the handfuls that disappear and are taken home as souvenirs, could be ecological, but, it really doesn't matter what you wipe the ketchup off your face with and then promptly throw in the trash can (or with today's crowd, the ground). An embossed paper napkin never has logically added to anyone's enjoyment of the parks.

Even if it is a cost cutting method that some think is trivial, it is because of the inability to see the big picture and realize how many of those things that they basically, due to the nature of the product, throw away every single day.
The fact that Disney used to have no problem going that extra mile with the tiniest most trivial thing like napkins, cups, bags, etc., and as a much smaller company no less, destroys any defense for this. Universal has no problem doing it now either. You buy something at Universal Orlando, the bag is for Universal Orlando, not "Universal Parks." Not to mention the specific bags and even plastic cups for Harry Potter and Springfield napkins. I also got bags specific to Cabana Bay on my recent trip. Disney really has no excuse especially now that WDW is the only resort using "Disney Parks."

PhotoDave219

Come on Dave, you have been involved with publishing, but, probably not the printing end of it. There is a considerable difference in the cost to produce two images as opposed to one. The set up, especially with multi-color things is a big undertaking. It worked when Disney consisted of just two or three parks, but, to deal with that world wide is ginormous. The background, at least, is that Disney IS one company and although the attractions both in content and quality may differ from one place to another, it is still one company. It is easier to identify with one then dozens.

I see that point of view... but I want something Special, not homogenic. I see the corporate aspect but when your stock is 110 a share, you can afford to produce specific cups for each resort and you can afford to have specific souvineer cups for places like Casey's Corner, Tomorrowland, etc., like they used to. Point being, if they wanted to, they could make it happen. Just charge $.05 more....

Homogenic is for the lowest common denominator, those that watch TLC for Honey Boo Boo and Touched by a Duggar. Its boring and blah.

MKCP 1985

Except that today's generation has only a limited idea of who Lucy was and a strong following for Hello Kitty. We must attempt to pull ourselves out of our time warp and become more aware of the world now and not what it once was. I do, however, agree with the evilness of Beanie Babies in place of CoP. Neither one of those is in vogue now.

Sorry, "I Love Lucy," I am not your champion. My example was to try and show how something old and beloved by some could be replaced by a fad. Perhaps my example was not the best. Perhaps at the end of the day, nobody will really care about Lucy, but I have been surprised at how beloved she is and her show is to some 20-something women of today.

Goofyernmost

The fact that Disney used to have no problem going that extra mile with the tiniest most trivial thing like napkins, cups, bags, etc., and as a much smaller company no less, destroys any defense for this. Universal has no problem doing it now either. You buy something at Universal Orlando, the bag is for Universal Orlando, not "Universal Parks." Not to mention the specific bags and even plastic cups for Harry Potter and Springfield napkins. I also got bags specific to Cabana Bay on my recent trip. Disney really has no excuse especially now that WDW is the only resort using "Disney Parks."
The were much smaller then and certainly Universal is smaller over all. They will change too... count on it.

Goofyernmost

Sorry, "I Love Lucy," I am not your champion. My example was to try and show how something old and beloved by some could be replaced by a fad. Perhaps my example was not the best. Perhaps at the end of the day, nobody will really care about Lucy, but I have been surprised at how beloved she is and her show is to some 20-something women of today.
Sure, but, that's us looking at it, not current generations. To them "old and beloved" are not even relative to the times. Lucy had her time, new things are replacing her. Sad for us, means nothing to those that are currently the focus group. And yes, I would be surprised if she was a 20-something icon to the degree that you are implying.

Goofyernmost

Uhh.. no. I might introduce you to someone named Mr Lutz

But keep beating that sheep drum of yours.
Was he on the board of directors? If not, I'm not interested in what he has to say. Unless he is in the room where the decisions are made, all his information is, at best, second hand. Besides, I said that it was possible that money was the only reason, but, all that has a background that we are not aware of and therefore just continue on our fantasy trip of thinking we know all the motivation in black and white. All we really know is what was and what is now. How it got to that point, is not published information from the horses mouth, so to speak. Most of it comes from the other end of that badly beaten dead horse.

lazyboy97o

Information does not become fact based on whether or not you were a firsthand witness.

Was he on the board of directors? If not, I'm not interested in what he has to say. Unless he is in the room where the decisions are made, all his information is, at best, second hand. Besides, I said that it was possible that money was the only reason, but, all that has a background that we are not aware of and therefore just continue on our fantasy trip of thinking we know all the motivation in black and white. All we really know is what was and what is now. How it got to that point, is not published information from the horses mouth, so to speak. Most of it comes from the other end of that badly beaten dead horse.
Do you consider George Washington the alleged first president of the United States? None of the people saying that now were there when he allegedly held that supposed office.

Last edited:

Bairstow

posted for serious amusement only:

a recent interview with WWE superstar (and fellow long island boy) zack ryder about his career yielded this amazing quote:

"There could not have been a better night for Zack Ryder. In the past few months, I wasn't really prominently featured on RAW, so I'm hoping to ride that momentum for a bit. I compare my career to Disney World: at Disney, you'll wait on line for a ride, and some people get that fast pass and go right to the front of that line. I know I don't get the fast pass, so when I get my chance, I'm going to make the most of it."

even the long island iced Z knows fast passes are garbage. WOO WOO WOO, YOU KNOW IT!

Four years later Zack Ryder discovers that he had actually been waiting in a meet-and-greet line for Iago.

Goofyernmost

Information does not become fact based on whether or not you were a firsthand witness.

Do you consider George Washington the alleged first president of the United States? None of the people saying that now were there when he alleged held that supposed office.
I didn't watch them build the Eiffel Tower either, but, I saw it with my OWN eyes. Someone built it. (maybe aliens) Facts do not become facts just because we want it to be a certain way or we find it more believable. I didn't actually see Lee Harvey Oswald kill John Kennedy either, but, there was a good chance he did based on reports, but, since there isn't a better argument I just accept it because I don't have any way of knowing better. I did, however, see Jack Ruby kill Oswald... indisputable fact. (Unless, of course, it was a rigged TV event)

I'm not going to bother replying to the George Washington comment, just because... well it should be obvious why! I will say though, that comparing US History to the demise of paper napkins at WDW is a bit of a stretch.

lazyboy97o

I didn't watch them build the Eiffel Tower either, but, I saw it with my OWN eyes. Someone built it. (maybe aliens) Facts do not become facts just because we want it to be a certain way or we find it more believable. I didn't actually see Lee Harvey Oswald kill John Kennedy either, but, there was a good chance he did based on reports, but, since there isn't a better argument I just accept it because I don't have any way of knowing better. I did, however, see Jack Ruby kill Oswald... indisputable fact. (Unless, of course, it was a rigged TV event)

I'm not going to bother replying to the George Washington comment, just because... well it should be obvious why! I will say though, that comparing US History to the demise of paper napkins at WDW is a bit of a stretch.
Except that you keep saying that the only credible information is primary sources given directly to you. That does not exist with Washington's presidency. Nor do you have it for Eiffel's involvement in the big tower in Paris, that may or may not be there because you saying it is, at best, second hand information. You constantly try to limit discussion to what you and only you consider that you know. Just because you don't know or cannot explain something does not mean others do not, even if they don't spell it out specifically for you.

PhotoDave219

Well generally in the past I would advise saying something Dismissive to someone who would compare United States History to a napkin but I've been told that I should not do those things anymore.

I think in this case, they've proven my & your point for us, as they are truly an idiot.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If Universal Creative is behind that parade I just have to ask why the one at USF sucks so much? Holy crap :facepalm: Also, Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, and Cinderella? Surely that's just a HUGE coincidence :rolleyes:

That's the confusing part to me...they have Alice and Cinderella in their non-Disney parade.

CDavid

it really doesn't matter what you wipe the ketchup off your face with and then promptly throw in the trash can (or with today's crowd, the ground). An embossed paper napkin never has logically added to anyone's enjoyment of the parks

On the contrary, all the little details which the modern Walt Disney Company compromises on within Parks & Resorts make a huge difference to the experience. That includes things like napkins and disposable cups; They aren't trivial details, except possibly to the bean counters who honestly do not themselves really understand the theme park experience. Walt Disney World is supposed to represent a superior or premium experience, and certainly we pay premium prices; If McDonald's (along with nearly all fast-food competitors) can afford embossed or printed napkins with a dollar burger, Disney simply has no excuse.

Come on Dave, you have been involved with publishing, but, probably not the printing end of it. There is a considerable difference in the cost to produce two images as opposed to one. The set up, especially with multi-color things is a big undertaking.

That's just making excuses. Disney buys such things in admittedly huge volumes; Your're a supplier and want the business? Then give them the same price for 2 or more designs as you would for one, or lose the contract to a competitor. Being one of the best (largest) customers give you leverage.

The were much smaller then and certainly Universal is smaller over all. They will change too... count on it.

Not every company loses it focus and compromises on quality and innovation as they grow larger. There isn't some obscure law of physics which dictates that Universal must follow a similar theme-park resort evolution to Disney.

Was he on the board of directors? If not, I'm not interested in what he has to say. Unless he is in the room where the decisions are made, all his information is, at best, second hand.

You are particpating in a internet discussion forum labeled a Walt Disney World news & rumors board - and you will only accept information which comes directly from the board of directors? That is an impossible standard to attain even in professional journalism. Even a formal Disney press release would not ordinarily involve the Board, who also would not involve themselves in micro-managing the parks, and hence are not directly responsible for many of the bone-headed business decisions we discuss on these boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom