A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

Funny. People react in horror when a classic is replaced with something new or updated....and they call classic decrepit. I guess it would be acceptible if they were burning Iger in effigy on the last float. But then there would likely be complaints that they weren't using enough fuel due to cash grab measures.
Being decrepit and classic are not mutually exclusive. A scratched up DVD of Casablanca that constantly skips and stops isn't going to be worth bothering with.

Nmoody1

This one?

View attachment 96120 View attachment 96121 View attachment 96123 View attachment 96124 View attachment 96125

Looked good to me Thursday night. Maybe decrepitness set in on Friday.

You were lucky. I have seen that america float get stuck on main st so many times. Pride of the country. Ask any of those embarassed college program kids walking alongside embarassed.

That parade is over 40 years old. Fair enough, it does a job... but why cant a new parade do the same job. Tokyo has had main street electrical, fantillusion and now dreamlights. 3 parades. Main st electrical ia way passed its sellby... in terms of technology and show quality.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Monday Musings:

I sat down here thinking I'd put out some interesting tidbits about Disney ... and I am struggling. WDW?!! I don't know what can be said. That the Harambe Marketplace was well done? Other than SQ issues with Disco Yeti, tree removal and needing more expansion, this IS the park for me when it comes to visiting WDW. Still cohesive, still true to its mission statement, still overflowing with detail. I've even heard that @WDWFigment has come around, although I fear he still enjoys the MK greatly (or maybe he says that because it helps his BRAND?)

That DQ is being bounced for the NBA. That landed like a brick here (BTW, I know I should be interested in the Finals, but Golden State and Cleveland just doesn't make my toes tingle). I suppose it is the same forgone conclusion that brought Pleasure Island down.

I have yet to hear one comment about Inside Out that hasn't been effusive. That's great to hear because the Pixar braintrust has created the best films Disney has put out under any banner over the last 20 years and their last three efforts, while quality (yep, even Cars 2), have been well under the bar they set for themselves. Angie wants me to wait for her to see it at the El Capitan. I don't think that's going to happen.

Did y'all read the 25th anniversary story on UNI penned by Soup & Salad Sandra? I was wondering if she ran the thing by Disney's Celebration Place cubicle dwellers first because while UNI got praise she made sure to let us all know that Disney wasn't resting on its laurels (believe me, if anyone checked Disney's backside, there would be rot from the bedsores created for doing just that for well over a decade!)

But what bothered me (I feel like using the word 'rankled' for some reason) most is S & S Sandy was very much playing loosey goosey with the facts. First, Fantasyland isn't new anymore. It's not. Most of it opened by 2012. It's 2015. Sorta like the way EE was advertised as new in 2010 when it opened four years earlier. She was crowing about a new Frozen attraction coming to EPCOT, neglecting to mention that it was replacing something not in addition to (like say Kong or Volcano Bay). And, like Disney fanbois, she was including the makeover to a failing Lifestyle center (and, yes, when almost a third of your mall is closed and behind planters, you are not succeeding) in her narrative.

Oh, she also mentioned a makeover to The Corpse of the Disney-MGM Studios, even though Disney hasn't said a word about it. Only people labeled as 'insiders' by others -- yours truly considered one -- have suggested that anything is ever happening at the troubled fourth gate.

In other words, she was doing PR for the Mouse mixed in with her bigger PR push for UNI. Like I keep saying, journalism today is a joke. That is why no one asks questions about Disney and China, who would do the asking?

Seems to be so much excitement in the SoCal theme park market, even beyond Anaheim, versus Central Florida right now. Part of that, no doubt, is that there is nothing like Diagon Alley debuting this summer. And part of it is Disney is still selling the BRAND and not an increasingly crappy (overall) product. Just another long hot summer here ... and the beat goes on.

Speaking of which, Disney's PR machine is still working OT to get 'surge pricing' out and into everyone's daily lexicon. Gee, I don't wonder why.

Just a hunch, but I see DCL's new ships coming aboard in 2021 and 2023.

Mike S

You were lucky. I have seen that america float get stuck on main st so many times. Pride of the country. Ask any of those embarassed college program kids walking alongside embarassed.

That parade is over 40 years old. Fair enough, it does a job... but why cant a new parade do the same job. Tokyo has had main street electrical, fantillusion and now dreamlights. 3 parades. Main st electrical ia way passed its sellby... in terms of technology and show quality.
We did have SpectroMagic, but..... Yeeeeeeeeeah................

WDW1974

Original Poster
It gets said a lot, but I'm not really convinced that's an accurate way to look at it.

The Walt Disney Company is producing good content these days. I'd argue the entire MCU has been good content. Recent WDAS films have been good content. Pixar has made good content since being acquired and hopefully Inside Out is the start of a new trend there. Most people seem optimistic that The Force Awakens will be good quality.

It's easy to write that off as just having "bought content" but what does that mean? Selling reprints of 1960's Marvel comics would be "buying content" and just re-selling it. What the MCU is doing is taking established IP and using that as a basis for new, creative ideas.

Furthermore, I think a decent case could be made that Iger's acquisitions have been significant not just for the IP, but in the creative talent that has been brought under Disney employment (Lasseter, Feige, Kennedy, etc.).

There is a difference between growing a company naturally or organically and simply acquiring product. I don't get why this is such a hard concept to understand.

People start bringing up IP that wasn't Disney going back to Walt's days, from Snow White to Pooh to Poppins to Jungle Book. The difference is Walt 'Disneyfied' the IP, often changing it drastically. Read those Grimm fairy tales and then see a Disney fairy tale.

There is nothing at all wrong with adding great content producers. But when you basically do so by giving up your ability to make products that grow your BRAND, it isn't a long term recipe for success.

I know I've brought the point up of "What is Disney today?'' and it usually devolves into a 23-page tangent on Disney content vs. Disney corporate (I'd really rather not have that again, please). But, at the end of the day, if BRANDS like ESPN and Marvel and Lucas are worth more than the company that was all stared with a Mouse, then Disney will be broken up at some point in the future. I think that may play into some of the desperation you see with Frozen 2 and all these live action versions of animated hits. But we shall see ...

doctornick

Sorry, "I Love Lucy," I am not your champion. My example was to try and show how something old and beloved by some could be replaced by a fad. Perhaps my example was not the best. Perhaps at the end of the day, nobody will really care about Lucy, but I have been surprised at how beloved she is and her show is to some 20-something women of today.

The issue here is that "Hello Kitty" is not a fad. The property has been around for 40 years and has been very popular for a long time. It's not some flash in the pan

WDW1974

Original Poster
Honestly, I didn't even know Disney Quest was closing. I did see people mention something NBA was coming, maybe on OU since NBA city might be leaving Uni. I never went there anyway. Would've been cool just once though when I was a kid.

Its time passed very quickly. By its fifth B-day, it was tired. The only reason it still exists is because it takes up so much space. They got close to replacing it with another DRE venture (an ESPN Zone) before the Virgin Megastore closed and Disney decided the ESPN Zones needed to cease to exist (a great concept that they totally bungled).

Realistically, there's going to be an interesting situation because Splitsville doesn't seem to be doing nearly as well as they and Disney hoped. Dueling sports-themed venues almost next to each other should be interesting.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Its time passed very quickly. By its fifth B-day, it was tired. The only reason it still exists is because it takes up so much space. They got close to replacing it with another DRE venture (an ESPN Zone) before the Virgin Megastore closed and Disney decided the ESPN Zones needed to cease to exist (a great concept that they totally bungled).

Realistically, there's going to be an interesting situation because Splitsville doesn't seem to be doing nearly as well as they and Disney hoped. Dueling sports-themed venues almost next to each other should be interesting.

Dueling, unless they offer some kind of pass for both.

which leads me to the OTHER reason DQ stayed open IMO...the Waterparks and More option, when it was a rainy day, people could go to DQ

doctornick

This one?

View attachment 96120 View attachment 96121 View attachment 96123 View attachment 96124 View attachment 96125

Looked good to me Thursday night. Maybe decrepitness set in on Friday.

I personally have no problem with MSEP continuing to run (though I think replacing some floats here and there is reasonable) due to the strong nostalgia attached to it by many.

A much bigger issue IMHO is the DHS doesn't have a parade at all. It's really inexcusable considering how desperate that park is for "things to do".

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can't help but recall a simpler (better) time when WDW employed designers whose only job was to refresh and decorate the windows on MSUSA. ... And how when every new animated feature was released, animated scenes were placed in the Emporium windows.

Yep, like everything else, much classier today.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I personally have no problem with MSEP continuing to run (though I think replacing some floats here and there is reasonable) due to the strong nostalgia attached to it by many.

A much bigger issue IMHO is the DHS doesn't have a parade at all. It's really inexcusable considering how desperate that park is for "things to do".

They are both inexcusable. A 1972 parade that debuted in the MK in 1977, went away in 1991, came back in 1999 (in the form of DL's parade, which glowed away forever until Cynthia and George in desperation brought it back to DCA in 2001) etc etc. It is embarrassing when you think about it. And the amazing parades in Asia and California.

And the Studios not having a parade? I won't remind people of a time when new parades debuted there almost annually with the release of a new Disney or Pixar animated film. Nope. Not in an age where they won't offer one ... and are offering a stage show that played in DL for about 18 months and has been at WDW for over two decades.

Rubes, it's the rubes I tell ya ... but, not really. It's a combination. A perfect storm really!

WDW1974

Original Poster
My god, what's left? Two questions for you. Have you heard anything you can speak on regarding show changes at Hollywood Studios? Just wondering if they're planning on shuffling it up when they (hopefully) make the big changes in that park. Also, I always thought they missed a chance to overhaul Disney Quest with Wreck-It-Ralph. Any chance they try and bring a similar experience to Disney Springs in a new space or will they just let the concept finally die?

I've heard for three years, off and on, that a Tangled show will replace B&B. But never confirmed. I think it is the most likely scenario since it is being created for DCL.

And no chance.

doctornick

There is a difference between growing a company naturally or organically and simply acquiring product. I don't get why this is such a hard concept to understand.

That's certainly true. I just don't see why it matters. Whether something is developed internally or whether the IP is purchased and then nourished to me makes no difference -- as long as new quality products are being developed. Which is happening by TWDC.

People start bringing up IP that wasn't Disney going back to Walt's days, from Snow White to Pooh to Poppins to Jungle Book. The difference is Walt 'Disneyfied' the IP, often changing it drastically. Read those Grimm fairy tales and then see a Disney fairy tale.

And see Frozen or Big Hero 6. It's still happening today by Disney.

There is nothing at all wrong with adding great content producers. But when you basically do so by giving up your ability to make products that grow your BRAND, it isn't a long term recipe for success.

In what way is Disney "giving up their ability to make products to grow their BRAND"? Live action Disney films have mostly sucked for a while, but that's not because Disney purchased Marvel or Lucasfilm. There's nothing preventing Disney from making a great Lone Ranger film while also making MCU and Star Wars films.

The new acquisitions that TWDC has made don't inhibit the core Disney brand, they compliment the offerings.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom