A Spirited Perfect Ten

alphac2005

Just had some interesting information cross my cyber-desk as the sun rises on a Monday -- but not just any Monday for Robert A. Iger and The Walt Disney Company -- in the Far East.

Thanks to a kind stranger (yet one who has been thoroughly vetted) I have the week's plans for the Iger/Burbank Delegation in China as they attempt to open what's billed as the world's largest Disney Store (I'm thinking chain store here and not World of Disney size), premiere Tomorrowland (in a country where star George Clooney has been an outspoken critic of the Chinese leadership and their human rights record) and do a site tour/staged event out at the Shanghai Disneyland Resort.

Now, I could simply place it all out here. I don't get the idea my source cares one bit if it gets traced back to them, and it is sure to at this point. But I'd rather just wait ... and see, see just how bad the relationship between Disney/Iger and Shendi/the CCP really is at this juncture. Because it sure seems like Disney is going to need a miracle from Walt to pull this one off -- looking like Disney has ANY say or control of 'its' resort in the mainland.

So, I'm going to wait and see what happens ... it should be very telling, as if the past six years haven't been.
Right now, Disney's own advance team isn't being allowed access to the SDL site at all (you'll never read that in the WSJ -- please, someone here send an email to Ben Fritz. Not that he'll do anything, but it's always good to know you called someone out on being in the pocket of the company they cover.) after Disney's ABC News division sent a crew to the resort this week (pre-arranged) to get footage and interviews for the big 'coming out week' and was summarily sent packing in a very hostile fashion.

Ain't China grand? It reminds me of a friend and business associate who had all of his company's product manufactured in China. He'd visit the factories a handful of times per year and his legal team would get images and accounting of their facilities to prove that they were adhering to standards. He would tell me that no matter the show that they would put on for his visits, he'd ultimately see blood that hadn't been cleaned up well enough off the the manufacturing floors and walls of the employees.

And to think that nearly all of our junk is coming from there and it's greatly added to the toxic environmental dump of a world that we're in. Ahhh.....

TalkingHead

I don't know if I agree. Tonight's episode, as well as the week prior, was very good. It gave the series the best possible ending and the completion of Don's character arc.

Mad Men spoilers within:

What arc? Weiner obviously didn't know what to do with the character after Season 4-ish. Surely, you don't mean the "choose your own ending" copout?

I thought this entire "half" season was unnecessary. The last season finale with the three central characters having a fast food dinner under the guise of product research far better suited the themes of the show than the aimless time-killing of the last seven episodes. They're married to their work, and their co-workers are their family. I'm not sure why another seven episodes needed to occur to pound that theme into the ground. I guess those AMC checks aren't going to cash themselves.

How much air time was wasted on the mopey waitress, Joan's new boyfriend, and Don's rambles out West? It looks to me like Weiner didn't have anything else to say with these characters, and worse, it seems like he knew where he wanted Don to end (Spoiler: Coke), but didn't know how to get him there. Everything was constructed in service of getting Don to California -- is that why Diane was introduced in the first place? So that Don would have an excuse to drive west? Seems like a case of questionable plotting.

PhotoDave219

Mad Men spoilers within:
What arc? Weiner obviously didn't know what to do with the character after Season 4-ish. Surely, you don't mean the "choose your own ending" copout?

I thought this entire "half" season was unnecessary. The last season finale with the three central characters having a fast food dinner under the guise of product research far better suited the themes of the show than the aimless time-killing of the last seven episodes. They're married to their work, and their co-workers are their family. I'm not sure why another seven episodes needed to occur to pound that theme into the ground. I guess those AMC checks aren't going to cash themselves.

How much air time was wasted on the mopey waitress, Joan's new boyfriend, and Don's rambles out West? It looks to me like Weiner didn't have anything else to say with these characters, and worse, it seems like he knew where he wanted Don to end (Spoiler: Coke), but didn't know how to get him there. Everything was constructed in service of getting Don to California -- is that why Diane was introduced in the first place? So that Don would have an excuse to drive west? Seems like a case of questionable plotting.

USE THE SPOILER TAG.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I wonder what the snow job sales pitch is to coerce them into accepting the contracted rate
That's not how it works. All of the operating participants (including the non-Disney Epcot Restaurants, Yak and Yeti, and all of Downtown Disney) are "made whole" with the difference between menu price and the DDP rates. As a matter of fact, even the Disney-owned restaurants are covered in that regard, since the restaurant managers aren't held responsible for the promotions that the marketing and pricing guys put out there.

PhotoDave219

That's not how it works. All of the operating participants (including the non-Disney Epcot Restaurants, Yak and Yeti, and all of Downtown Disney) are "made whole" with the difference between menu price and the DDP rates. As a matter of fact, even the Disney-owned restaurants are covered in that regard, since the restaurant managers aren't held responsible for the promotions that the marketing and pricing guys put out there.

I still think the DDP should be a Prefix menu - Especially during the "Free Dining" months.

baymenxpac

I think Mad Max is going to have more "staying power" at the box office than Pitch Perfect 2. Just my opinion. It was a great movie and the action never let up.

potentially, though don't be surprised if pitch perfect keeps cleaning up. i saw it friday night and seemingly every tween in the area in the theatre was there with me. for whatever reason, the original really resonated with that demo, which is funny because i thought it really spoke more to college-age and older former singers like me. you never can tell, i suppose.

Mad Men spoilers within:

i could not disagree with this more, but i don't want to say too much since it's been less than 24 hours since the finale aired and i don't want to be the reason things are spoiled for some.

Funmeister

potentially, though don't be surprised if pitch perfect keeps cleaning up. i saw it friday night and seemingly every tween in the area in the theatre was there with me. for whatever reason, the original really resonated with that demo, which is funny because i thought it really spoke more to college-age and older former singers like me. you never can tell, i suppose.

Yeah. It has good buzz (Mad Max) but family films do tend to track better than R-rated movies.

EDIT UPDATE: I typed this reply right before I saw "Mad Max: WASTELAND" has been greenlit.

Last edited:

TP2000

New cups at the Disneyland Resort restaurants/snacks shops are available.

CFTiIarUEAA9fp7.jpg:large

New cups and paper goods are rolling out this week at Disneyland, all branded specifically to the Disneyland Resort and the 60th Diamond Celebration that kicks off on Friday. The "Disney Parks" corporate tyranny seems to be breaking its hold, at least in Anaheim.

Could a new cup design be far behind for Walt Disney World? Could the Disney Parks corporate hive allow some charm and individuality to return to the various parks and properties? I'd love to see the 1971 "D" logo return to WDW paper goods, wouldn't you?

The photo above of this new 60th Anniversary cup is from Flo's V8 Café in Cars Land. But for an upcharge in Cars Land, they'll also now sell you a drink in a special Dinoco oil can. Hysterical and so cool!
NOS654573-613x345.jpg

All the American parks should have unique stuff like this!

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I like this idea. The establishment could focus on developing a few profitable/quality offerings and not destroy the quality of all offerings for sake of profitability.

This would also relieve WDW of the financial obligation of "making whole".

Even more so? You can plan out all your meals and your menu items before you go… you can select it online before you even leave for Florida.

(Watch some junior executive pitch that idea…)

I completely agree with you. The Disney dining plan habits time in the sun and it was good for a while… But the system needs tweaking. Also it would completely maximize profitability.

PhotoDave219

New cups and paper goods are rolling out this week at Disneyland, all branded specifically to the Disneyland Resort and the 60th Diamond Celebration that kicks off on Friday. The "Disney Parks" corporate tyranny seems to be breaking its hold, at least in Anaheim.

Could a new cup design be far behind for Walt Disney World? Could the Disney Parks corporate hive allow some charm and individuality to return to the various parks and properties? I'd love to see the 1971 "D" logo return to WDW paper goods, wouldn't you?

Are you talking about the plastic Magic Kingdom plastic souvenir cups they used to sell at the drink stand up by the hub? I have a couple that I have never drank out of and are leaving them without going through the dishwasher.

Mike S

The photo above of this new 60th Anniversary cup is from Flo's V8 Café in Cars Land. But for an upcharge in Cars Land, they'll also now sell you a drink in a special Dinoco oil can. Hysterical and so cool!
NOS654573-613x345.jpg

Nice to see specific cups returning over the "Disney Parks" crap. All I have to ask now is why weren't they selling those Dinoco cans when I was there in February.

Californian Elitist

NOS654573-613x345.jpg

Agreed, all the parks need individual and specific labeling. So sick of that One Disney B.S.

MKCP 1985

It may be a silly thing to argue for such things as Sci Fi Dine In napkins or Tambu swizzle sticks, but when you are paying more for the burger or the drink because of where you bought it, it is nice to have the extra touch rather than "Disney Parks." I know others feel the same way because I have seen the threads on these forums when the nice touches were done away with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom