A Spirited Perfect Ten

OlympiaBinewski

I'm an EE be glad you did not have to do 'Fields and Waves' and memorize Maxwell's equations,

Back when I went to school when you got an engineering degree in any discipline they made you do an intro to ALL of them Chemical, Mechanical and Civil so you could discuss problems across disciplines in an intelligent manner not that you would be an expert but you would have a grounding in the fundamentals.

Yes, Chem E here....hated having to take civil and computer science classes courses...ugh

OlympiaBinewski

Do you see this interdisciplinary approach in todays engineers?

From my experience, in crossing out of one career path to another, current HR philosophy often discounts multidisciplinary experience in favor of years of single dicipine experience.

I have asked HR professionals the following question, "If you were seeking to staff the first electric light bulb factory and required 5 years of light bulb manufacturing experience, how long would it take to the expected headcount?"

You can hear their eyes glaze over.

Exactly opposite at my employer....breadth over depth almost to an extreme.

Steel City Magic

I consider myself a wdw inbetweener... 5 trips between 1996 and 2003. I missed WoM but still remember the awesome view before the BAH. Missed 20k, twas Aladin's M&G and sorry to hear alien encouter is no more (gave me nightmares for weeks at 11 years old). I hate to hear of how the quality of the brand has been washed out. If WDW started its decline in the late 90s I had a front row seat. Just my 2 cents for my first spirited post...

Last edited:

Cesar R M

This has become one of my absolute favorite movies. It's on often in my house...even if it's background noise to cleaning, or putting away laundry.

I wish it had a theme park presence.

And I'm crazy excited for what's coming next, from disney/marvel. All of it.

(That doesn't make me a lifestyler, does it? Ignore my Guardians tank top and Frozen socks that I'm wearing...)
its an excellent movie that has everything. from comedy, to action, to cute and sad things.
The only other movie I've seen in the past years that has the same feelings (imho) was the FIFTH ELEMENT.

NearTheEars

Maybe they got lost in the ad hominem attacks. I already told him where disney typically is in my week.

And how long something takes does not define its its relevance or significance to someone in the life style choices they make. The fact i spend 10hrs a week acting as a taxi for my kids does not me i have some great life interest in being a taxi driver or that i would make lifechoices to deeper my imersion in that activity. Absolute amount if time is a poor measure of how people prioritize things or their decision logic. Impact... Compromises... Commitment needed... Those are all far more telling indicators of how important and central something is to someone. I compromise very little to post here... There is zero commitment needed... It impacts very little (except my sleep sometimes!). Removing it from my life would change my life or activities very little. So regardless of my post count over 7 years... The post count has little to do with how intertwined disney is in my life.

No because as i defined, what it would take to accomplish 5 hours a day in the parks means compromising other things and would reflect what you prioritize... Showing that your need to be in disney far outweighs normal life activities most grown adults would be expected tomtend to. It has nothing to do with the number of hours in itself, but what it would take in sacrafices and compromises to make it happen. That is the tell on the behavior... Not in the absolute number of hours.

An activity level that more closely coresponds to the amount of computer time i have and what hobby projects i am involved with... Rather than defining the relevance of disney in my personal life choices. Which is why trying to label people purely based on post counts is misguided.

I respect everything you say here. No I don't, in your case, believe that your big post count and time spent here means you are a so-called Lifestyler.

But It certainly does speak to your passion about WDW. Even though you've also been pretty passionate in this discussion to downplay it.

It's not really a bad thing after all.

I'd also like to believe Mr. Figment is better than the way he left this conversation. I'll just chalk it up to a bad afternoon.

Anyway ... Iger stinks ... TDO! ... Theme?! ... And whatnot ...

PhotoDave219

And now I'm all up on your lawn!!! :p;)

Seriously, tho--and I mean this for real discussion, not rhetorically--when did "lifestylers" become a thing? I don't think the idea existed in the 70s, did it? Is it strictly a post-Internet thing? I hate to think that the things I loved the most--EPCOT Center, the Adventurers Club--played a role in their creation, but it seems likely as well. Not sure how to document this, but I'm open to ideas.

Its a post-internet thing. Seems like it started out of twitter, because it wasn't that way back in '04.

I think you can attribute it to an unintended consequence of how Laura Spencer made the Social Media Moms into some sort of "rock star" type mentality. And people started to emulate it. And we are left with what we have today.

We shoulda had this convo last week, post-trivia.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Its a post-internet thing. Seems like it started out of twitter, because it wasn't that way back in '04.

I think you can attribute it to an unintended consequence of how Laura Spencer made the Social Media Moms into some sort of "rock star" type mentality. And people started to emulate it. And we are left with what we have today.

We shoulda had this convo last week, post-trivia.
As a side note, nothing on the internet "started" out of Twitter outside of sheer idiocy.

I said it then, and I'll say it now, do people forget what the word "twit" means?

Longhairbear

Even the official (and moderated) DVC member website has mostly negative comments for the new Polynesian Villas & Bungalows (PVR) DVC.

Comments include:

"So at $160 per point, I would need $134,000.00 in order to buy the points to spend a week there during a 'low' season time? Slightly crazy in my opinion. I agree with many others when I say that I thought about adding on, but not now."

"I wish the new Polynesian Villas & Bungalows offered the traditional 1 and 2 bedroom villas. I will not be buying at this new resort. It's really disappointing. I wish the new studios had a king size bed. The maintenance fees are sky high."

"What a great deal, only $160 a point. In order to enjoy a good week, it will only cost you a cool $32,000. Disney is definitely getting a little greedy. No other significant benefits for members either, unless you like really long lines."

"It is apparent disney dropped he ball, I have been a member for 12 yrs. better off selling and pay cash for my vacation and not to Disney"

"wow unless you have a gazillion points you can't even stay in the bungalows. They seem impressive and yet unattainable for the average vacationer"

"I was excited and thinking about buying until I seen point chart. If i stayed here i would need a LOT of points."

"I had made several thoughtful comments that reflect our disappointment with the astronomical point values and disappointing queen-only studios, yet they never appeared here. Why?"

"I love Disney....always have, always will but the Points for Poly are very disappointing. Was going to add on but have changed my mind. Pity."

"Where is the price per point? Scared of the sticker shock? Points chart is a joke for the 2 bedroom. More availability for the Mouse to rent out nightly for really big bucks. Very sad day."

"That point chart is outrageous. I think Disney better get back to the basics. It was supposed to be an advantage to be a DVC owner. With all of the special packages and perks they offer to non - members they have taken away any reason to buy."

"Booo Disney Vacation Club!!! 160 points per night for one of the bungalows during the summer. Unreal! I can get a Savannah view room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 50 points per night during the same time frame."

"The rooms are sleeping more but there is less storage. Think about 5 suitcases and the stuff inside them, and you have one closet for all the clothes. Crazy!"

"I just don't get it. Overpriced. And only choices are studios & rooms on lake that you can't (and wouldn't want) to use? But, at least you can have ten-thousand lookie-loos floating by your bedroom door at all hours! I expect better from DVC."​

There are more negative comments. Positive comments are few and far between. Again, this is on a site moderated by Disney. :eek:

Oh, I should mention that none of my comments made it onto the site. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

More than any other DVC resort that has come before, PVR makes little financial sense. The primary reason to buy DVC is to save money over the long-term. With PVR's purchase price, annual Maintenance Fees, and points-per-night, it takes a very specific set of circumstances to achieve savings in anything approaching a reasonable amount of time.

If you:
  • Intend to vacation at WDW for decades and
  • Absolutely love the Polynesian and can't imagine staying at any other Disney Deluxe Resort and
  • Always vacation at times when Disney does not offer its frequent "Room Only" discounts and
  • Have at least the $27,000 cash needed to make a purchase
Then a PVB purchase makes financial sense for you. Under these very specific circumstances, you should be able to reach the magical "break-even" point (the point at which PVB starts saving money) in about 10 years.

Once you start deviating from these circumstances, your break-even point starts stretching into decades.

Rent points from an existing DVC member and the break-even stretches out to over 20 years.

Let's say you don't have the cash and can visit WDW when they offer "Room Only" discounts. In this case, 30 years of vacations at the Yacht & Beach Club will cost less than 30 years at PVB. That's a lot of vacations at one of WDW's more expensive Deluxe Resorts in order to start "saving" money.

Switch to one of WDW's less expensive Deluxe Resorts such as the Wilderness Lodge or the Animal Kingdom Lodge, or stay at a Moderate Resort instead, and you'll never reach the break-even point.

Disney is not expecting large numbers of top earners to buy at PVB. Instead, the vast majority of PVB sales will be to those of more modest means who fall for Disney's slick sales pitch and fuzzy math. The math to calculate the break-even is complicated, not something that can be done on the back of a napkin, so Disney is banking on "Guests" simply going along with the numbers Disney throws at them during the sales pitch.

As can be seen by the comments on the DVC member website, those who have been through this once before are not falling for it. Disney is banking on consumer ignorance and their misplaced trust in what's supposed to be one of America's most respected companies. :greedy:
DVC members are usually clamoring for any new DVC resorts, not this time it seems. I'm sure Disney relies on this early push to buy points, and good word of mouth via sites like this one. It makes me wonder how all the other members that do not read these sites feel about the Poly. Does this mean Disney tripped themselves up on this one? And another thing to aggravate members. It's my understanding that DVC cannot sell to anyone living in the state of California. Either they haven't gotten the real estate purchasing thing settled yet, or did they just blow off Californians, thinking they'll but when it becomes legal to do so through the mails, over the phone. I for one am in California, and have gotten none of the sales material for the Poly that I read other members have gotten. It seems if I did want to add on to the Poly, I'd have to fly to Hawaii, or Florida to do so in person.

alissafalco

Even the official (and moderated) DVC member website has mostly negative comments for the new Polynesian Villas & Bungalows (PVR) DVC.

Comments include:

"So at $160 per point, I would need $134,000.00 in order to buy the points to spend a week there during a 'low' season time? Slightly crazy in my opinion. I agree with many others when I say that I thought about adding on, but not now."

"I wish the new Polynesian Villas & Bungalows offered the traditional 1 and 2 bedroom villas. I will not be buying at this new resort. It's really disappointing. I wish the new studios had a king size bed. The maintenance fees are sky high."

"What a great deal, only $160 a point. In order to enjoy a good week, it will only cost you a cool $32,000. Disney is definitely getting a little greedy. No other significant benefits for members either, unless you like really long lines."

"It is apparent disney dropped he ball, I have been a member for 12 yrs. better off selling and pay cash for my vacation and not to Disney"

"wow unless you have a gazillion points you can't even stay in the bungalows. They seem impressive and yet unattainable for the average vacationer"

"I was excited and thinking about buying until I seen point chart. If i stayed here i would need a LOT of points."

"I had made several thoughtful comments that reflect our disappointment with the astronomical point values and disappointing queen-only studios, yet they never appeared here. Why?"

"I love Disney....always have, always will but the Points for Poly are very disappointing. Was going to add on but have changed my mind. Pity."

"Where is the price per point? Scared of the sticker shock? Points chart is a joke for the 2 bedroom. More availability for the Mouse to rent out nightly for really big bucks. Very sad day."

"That point chart is outrageous. I think Disney better get back to the basics. It was supposed to be an advantage to be a DVC owner. With all of the special packages and perks they offer to non - members they have taken away any reason to buy."

"Booo Disney Vacation Club!!! 160 points per night for one of the bungalows during the summer. Unreal! I can get a Savannah view room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 50 points per night during the same time frame."

"The rooms are sleeping more but there is less storage. Think about 5 suitcases and the stuff inside them, and you have one closet for all the clothes. Crazy!"

"I just don't get it. Overpriced. And only choices are studios & rooms on lake that you can't (and wouldn't want) to use? But, at least you can have ten-thousand lookie-loos floating by your bedroom door at all hours! I expect better from DVC."​

There are more negative comments. Positive comments are few and far between. Again, this is on a site moderated by Disney. :eek:

Oh, I should mention that none of my comments made it onto the site. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

More than any other DVC resort that has come before, PVR makes little financial sense. The primary reason to buy DVC is to save money over the long-term. With PVR's purchase price, annual Maintenance Fees, and points-per-night, it takes a very specific set of circumstances to achieve savings in anything approaching a reasonable amount of time.

If you:
  • Intend to vacation at WDW for decades and
  • Absolutely love the Polynesian and can't imagine staying at any other Disney Deluxe Resort and
  • Always vacation at times when Disney does not offer its frequent "Room Only" discounts and
  • Have at least the $27,000 cash needed to make a purchase
Then a PVB purchase makes financial sense for you. Under these very specific circumstances, you should be able to reach the magical "break-even" point (the point at which PVB starts saving money) in about 10 years.

Once you start deviating from these circumstances, your break-even point starts stretching into decades.

Rent points from an existing DVC member and the break-even stretches out to over 20 years.

Let's say you don't have the cash and can visit WDW when they offer "Room Only" discounts. In this case, 30 years of vacations at the Yacht & Beach Club will cost less than 30 years at PVB. That's a lot of vacations at one of WDW's more expensive Deluxe Resorts in order to start "saving" money.

Switch to one of WDW's less expensive Deluxe Resorts such as the Wilderness Lodge or the Animal Kingdom Lodge, or stay at a Moderate Resort instead, and you'll never reach the break-even point.

Disney is not expecting large numbers of top earners to buy at PVB. Instead, the vast majority of PVB sales will be to those of more modest means who fall for Disney's slick sales pitch and fuzzy math. The math to calculate the break-even is complicated, not something that can be done on the back of a napkin, so Disney is banking on "Guests" simply going along with the numbers Disney throws at them during the sales pitch.

As can be seen by the comments on the DVC member website, those who have been through this once before are not falling for it. Disney is banking on consumer ignorance and their misplaced trust in what's supposed to be one of America's most respected companies. :greedy:
The ten thousand lookie loos floating by your door made me laugh out loud!

Im here at AKL now and 3 days into our trip we had a big envelope slipped under our door. It was from DVC with a big cartoon picture of the GFV (framable quality), and a letter with it offering us a $100 disney gift card if we took the tour of the GFV. I have 2 small children so I did not have the time to do this. Is this the norm for taking the tour?

ParentsOf4

Im here at AKL now and 3 days into our trip we had a big envelope slipped under our door. It was from DVC with a big cartoon picture of the GFV (framable quality), and a letter with it offering us a $100 disney gift card if we took the tour of the GFV. I have 2 small children so I did not have the time to do this. Is this the norm for taking the tour?
I hope you are enjoying the Animal Kingdom Lodge! :)

What's normal? At this point, Disney has started to behave like other timeshare operations. What's normal is whatever gets the units sold. :greedy:

Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF) sales have been disappointing. As WDW's flagship resort, Disney was convinced that VGF would fly off the shelf. It's had some good months but, overall, sales are not where they are supposed to be.

Fiscal year sales figures for all of the WDW-only DVC resorts:
  • 2011: 2.52 million points
  • 2012: 2.34 million points
  • 2013: 2.11 million points
  • 2014: 1.77 million points
Even at higher prices, 340K fewer points sold is disappointing, especially since theme park attendance is up. (That's where most DVC buyers come from.)

Those who bought just a few years ago were getting decent deals buying directly from Disney. However, in the last few years, Disney has increased prices so much that I think a growing number of potential customers are being scared off. I suspect Disney's recent big price increases have made it increasingly difficult for them to find victims, um, I mean customers. :D

It's not that potential customers are comparison shopping. Instead, they sit down, listen to the pitch, and then get intimidated by the cost, which is up a lot over the last couple of years. DVC's value doesn't look as magical as it once did. ;)

Iger has been putting a good face on it. That's what a CEO is supposed to do. However, you can see that the company's recent public posturing on DVC sales is not backed by numbers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom