A Spirited Perfect Ten

ParentsOf4

I think this is the biggest driver of the negativity. People see the bungalows and the point total and immediately realize they would have to give up 3 vacations to stay there. Before details were announced and Poly DVC was just a fanboy dream with whispers of a rumor almost everyone was excited for it. During the GF DVC build the main question asked was if people would want to wait for the Poly. Now that details are released people are turned off. I would say it's probably the high cost for points and large number of points per night for the studios compared to WLV or BWV but there was no backlash when VGF opened with a similar point chart. I think the letdown for the villas is the biggest factor...I also bet they sell out in less than 3 years too.
Don't forget that the PVB "member's only" purchase price is starting 10% higher than the VGF's "members only" purchase price ($145 vs. $160), and the initial annual Maintenance Fee is starting about 10% higher too ($5.41 vs. $6.02) with (I think) identical points-per-night requirements.

The Grand Floridian is supposed to be WDW's flagship hotel, so it's disconcerting to see WDW's #2 hotel cost more.

Unlike the VGF, which was a brand new building, the PVB Studios are recycled hotel rooms that are decades old. Disney is charging a premium for what's essentially a bunch of refurbished hotel rooms.

JWG

As a big DVC fan, they saw the cash grab opportunity with BLT and have kept rolling. The point requirements for what is a two bedroom room is outlandish. I think BLT is too high. I can do Aulani cheaper on points.

If I'm going to drop 1200 points on a room, it will be a Grand Villa theme park view at BLT. Since pricing has gotten out of control, we only buy resale as well. If I want to cruise, I'll just rent points out and use the cash. It's a better deal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Don't forget that the PVB "member's only" purchase price is starting 10% higher than the VGF's "members only" purchase price ($145 vs. $160), and the initial annual Maintenance Fee is starting about 10% higher too ($5.41 vs. $6.02) with (I think) identical points-per-night requirements.

The Grand Floridian is supposed to be WDW's flagship hotel, so it's disconcerting to see WDW's #2 hotel cost more.

Unlike the VGF, which was a brand new building, the PVB Studios are recycled hotel rooms that are decades old. Disney is charging a premium for what's essentially a bunch of refurbished hotel rooms.
That is a good point. They did start a bit higher, but all the resort's price per point have been raised now so it's on par with the current offerings. The rooms at Poly are just refurbed hotel rooms, but they are bigger than the VGF, among the largest DVC studio rooms (maybe OKW is bigger).

I have little interest in studio rooms so it doesn't work for me and I'd never buy in at $160 per point either. I just remember a whole lot of buzz when people were speculating Poly DVC would be next. It's amazing how fast that buzz died.

71jason

And to think, during my first trip to WDW back in the 70's I stayed at a Motel 6 and we all had a great time. :)

And now I'm all up on your lawn!!! :p;)

Seriously, tho--and I mean this for real discussion, not rhetorically--when did "lifestylers" become a thing? I don't think the idea existed in the 70s, did it? Is it strictly a post-Internet thing? I hate to think that the things I loved the most--EPCOT Center, the Adventurers Club--played a role in their creation, but it seems likely as well. Not sure how to document this, but I'm open to ideas.

71jason

Even the official (and moderated) DVC member website has mostly negative comments for the new Polynesian Villas & Bungalows (PVR) DVC.

(Another researched, insightful post redacted for space)

The vast majority of DVC owners are reacting to the Poly the way the vast majority of WDW vacationers react to DVC in general. Going for a smaller and smaller slice of the lifestyler base here. Eventually MK is going to be opened solely for one eccentric billionaire fan.

Clamman73

Seriously, tho--and I mean this for real discussion, not rhetorically--when did "lifestylers" become a thing? I don't think the idea existed in the 70s, did it? Is it strictly a post-Internet thing? I hate to think that the things I loved the most--EPCOT Center, the Adventurers Club--played a role in their creation, but it seems likely as well. Not sure how to document this, but I'm open to ideas.
"Anatomy of a Lifestyler" Looking forward to the book.

ParentsOf4

And to think, during my first trip to WDW back in the 70's I stayed at a Motel 6 and we all had a great time. :)
When WDW first opened, Garden Wing rooms at the Contemporary started at $22/night. Median household income was $9,624, a ratio of about 0.002286.

With 2013 median household income at $51,939, that means that today's equivalent price for a Garden Wing room would be about $119/night. :jawdrop:

Goofyernmost

When WDW first opened, Garden Wing rooms at the Contemporary started at $22/night. Median household income was $9,624, a ratio of about 0.002286.

With 2013 median household income at $51,939, that means that today's equivalent price for a Garden Wing room would be about $119/night. :jawdrop:
Well if you are going to have a 5 foot mouse running around the halls all night to give everyone "immersion", someone has to pay for the cheese to feed him, don't you think? A mouse that size must eat a lot.;)

WDWFigment

"Lifestylers" seems like a fairly amorphous term, but assuming that we're going with a broader definition that includes not just bloggers like me, but anyone who spends "a lot" of time at the various Disney parks & resorts (I assume the term requires something more than just an online fixation, lest most people here would be lifestylers, and given the negative connotation, I assume you all don't want that), I'd say 1984.

This is when the first annual pass was available, and thus when it first became realistic for those obsessed with Disney (and people were no doubt obsessed long before this) to visit on a regular, repeated basis in large numbers. It's only proliferated since, but if you want a single moment in time, that would be my pick.

I've met/overheard plenty of hardcore Disney fans--many of whom seem totally oblivious to the fact that there's a fan community online--who seem to visit nearly daily, so I think tying the term to the birth of the internet is arbitrarily limiting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Lifestylers" seems like a fairly amorphous term, but assuming that we're going with a broader definition that includes not just bloggers like me, but anyone who spends "a lot" of time at the various Disney parks & resorts (I assume the term requires something more than just an online fixation, lest most people here would be lifestylers, and given the negative connotation, I assume you all don't want that), I'd say 1984.

This is when the first annual pass was available, and thus when it first became realistic for those obsessed with Disney (and people were no doubt obsessed long before this) to visit on a regular, repeated basis in large numbers. It's only proliferated since, but if you want a single moment in time, that would be my pick.

I've met/overheard plenty of hardcore Disney fans--many of whom seem totally oblivious to the fact that there's a fan community online--who seem to visit nearly daily, so I think tying the term to the birth of the internet is arbitrarily limiting.
Interesting point. It probably started a while before the Internet. Like a lot of other things that existed way before the Internet, having online sites dedicated to a topic helps to bring together a community of people with common interests (for good like this place and unfortunately sometimes for bad things too). It didn't start with the Internet, but the Internet brought it mainstream.

the.dreamfinder

Nostalgia sells ;)
Just ask the Orange Bird!
041712_FS_OrangeBirdReturns_feature6.jpg

#CultOfCitris
#ShortTermMemory

flynnibus

Premium Member

Not really. It's not about how much you consume the product - it's about how your life revolves around the product or how much of your life it consumes.

The person who eats at Epcot several times a month because they found it a nice evening out - not a lifestyler

The person who changes their job so they have more time for Disney... Now you're starting to knock on the door.

Is Disney simply one form of entertainment you consume... Or is it what you shape your life choices around? Be it friends, employment, where to live, what you prioritize etc. It's about the difference between being a simple consumer and someone who lives in it

The Internet makes it easier for people to down this rathole because it makes it easier for people to find material and people that reinforce their choices. It gives them the ability to live their obsession 24/7 even if they aren't on property. They can get their fix by living through others and provides them more outlets to express their passion. Be it through fan sites, blogs, photos, online messaging, etc. It all provides ways for people to immerse themselves in the world of and about Disney.

It's the difference between being a fan in your free time or as a hobby... And when it becomes the dominating role in your life choices

WDWFigment

Not really. It's not about how much you consume the product - it's about how your life revolves around the product or how much of your life it consumes.

The person who eats at Epcot several times a month because they found it a nice evening out - not a lifestyler

The person who changes their job so they have more time for Disney... Now you're starting to knock on the door.

Is Disney simply one form of entertainment you consume... Or is it what you shape your life choices around? Be it friends, employment, where to live, what you prioritize etc. It's about the difference between being a simple consumer and someone who lives in it

The Internet makes it easier for people to down this rathole because it makes it easier for people to find material and people that reinforce their choices. It gives them the ability to live their obsession 24/7 even if they aren't on property. They can get their fix by living through others and provides them more outlets to express their passion. Be it through fan sites, blogs, photos, online messaging, etc. It all provides ways for people to immerse themselves in the world of and about Disney.

It's the difference between being a fan in your free time or as a hobby... And when it becomes the dominating role in your life choices

What about the person who has 10,000+ posts on one Disney forum, and visits multiple others, but only vacations at the parks once per year? What if that person spends 4-6 hours per day invested in various elements of Disney fandom?

I think the line between 'fan in free time' and 'life consumed by fandom' is a bit more blurred than you make it out to be.

doctornick

A big part of the problem is the bungalows are high profile and the most visible, desirable part of the addition. Contrast that with the presidential suite or something at one of the other resorts where a majority of people probably don't even know they exist. This sets an expectation that this accommodation "is what we've all been waiting for..." And then you find out it's priced not for 'everyone' but a much greater exclusive club than you expected and excludes YOU. The tiering and "in your face" presentation breeds this kind of discontent.

Just like people brooding over fp people moving past them in a line.

I think the lack of 1BR and "normal" 2BR is the big issue. The studios -- which is the bulk of the build -- seem reasonably priced, in line with the VGF studios. I mean, the studios are expensive, but about what you would expect based on the resort popularity/location and recent history and trends with DVC sales. From my standpoint as a quasi-DVC owner (my parents own, but I use it too), I would have no problem spending points to stay in a studio there. And if you can get 2 adjoining studios, you get something like a 1BR amount of space but accommodating far more people (albeit without a kitchen).*

The points chart wouldn't seem so obscene if there were some columns in between studio and 2 BR bungalows. I'm a little surprised they didn't do a small amount of conversions and replaced old hotel rooms with some 1BR and 2BR units just to make the points chart look better. If the over the water bungalows were the "grand villa" of the PVB -- sacrificing space/capacity for location/private pool -- it would probably go over better.

*I have a family that sometimes travels all together (total party of 7-8 people) and I would prefer to get two adjoining studios at the PVB than get a 2BR elsewhere. While the kitchen and living room are nice and I like having them, I'd be cool with two adjoining studios for a much cheaper price for everyone to stay in. That said, I don't expect it to be easy to get such a setup at PVB without being an owner there and having the 11 month window.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It's more to do with the DVC points needed for stays at the PVB bungalows. DVC members are comparing the PVB bungalows with other options and finding the bungalows grossly overpriced.

Let's consider some DVC resorts for a week stay during spring break or summer:
  • PVB 2-bedroom bungalow: 1174 points
  • Grand Floridian lake view 2-bedroom villa: 551 points
  • Bay Lake Tower theme park view 2-bedroom villa: 472 points
  • Boardwalk Villas boardwalk view 2-bedroom villa: 350 points
  • Animal Kingdom Villas savanna view 2-bedroom villa: 372 points
  • Grand Floridian lake view grand villa: 1174 points
  • Bay Lake Tower theme park view grand villa: 1065 points
  • Boardwalk Villas boardwalk view grand villa: 800 points
  • Animal Kingdom Villas savanna view grand villa: 767 points
The PVB bungalow square footage includes the exterior deck. If you consider only the interior space, PVB bungalows are quite small, not much bigger than some of DVC's larger 1-bedroom villas. A PVB bungalow is WDW's smallest 2-bedroom villa.

Grand Villas are truly grand. Grand Villas are double the size of 2-bedroom villas, the equivalent of 6 hotel rooms in all.

DVC members are incensed at having to pay more for small 2-bedroom bungalows than for Grand Villas.

Just seeing 1174 points for a two-bedroom unit for one week is eye popping. I purchased all my points re-sale years ago so I only pay half attention to something new when it is built, but dear lord, they are really counting on some stupid people that happen to have a massive excess of cash.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
T'was the joke.

This is what happens when I cant make the dirty jokes anymore; my jokes go over everyone head.

Some, like me, didn't have the necessary background info. Some don't get dry jokes ever. No need to ever explain a joke of this type. I think, based on the number of likes, it was appreciated by many. So, don't stop with the fact-based witticisms just because a select few of us are dunderheads.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What about the person who has 10,000+ posts on one Disney forum, and visits multiple others, but only vacations at the parks once per year? What if that person spends 4-6 hours per day invested in various elements of Disney fandom?

I think the line between 'fan in free time' and 'life consumed by fandom' is a bit more blurred than you make it out to be.

Someone's online time and what they enjoy reading about and participating in has little to do with how central something is in their life or where it sits in priority.

While I may spend a lot of time in discussion forums... The forums is simply things I find interesting. Things like cars, pinball, horses, and other topics actually hold a far more "committed" position in my life. Beyond the forums, you'd be hard pressed to find any "Disney" in my life in a week. Could you say the same if you took out your photos or blog? See how many things you'd have to change or remove from your life to get zero Disney in your life for a two week period...

This post took me looking away from the afc championship telecast... It didn't displace anything, and represents very little commitment for me

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom