A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDWFigment

Someone's online time and what they enjoy reading about and participating in has little to do with how central something is in their life or where it sits in priority.

While I may spend a lot of time in discussion forums... The forums is simply things I find interesting. Things like cars, pinball, horses, and other topics actually hold a far more "committed" position in my life. Beyond the forums, you'd be hard pressed to find any "Disney" in my life in a week. Could you say the same if you took out your photos or blog? See how many things you'd have to change or remove from your life to get zero Disney in your life for a two week period...

This post took me looking away from the arc championship telecast... It didn't displace anything, and represents very little commitment for me

While this post, in isolation, is "very little commitment" for you, how many little commitment posts like this from you are there?

I'm not denying I'm a lifestyler. By virtually almost any definition, I am one. Taking out my photo editing and blogging would be incredibly arbitrary, as those are where I spend the most time per week--and that's probably 10+ hours per week. Maybe 20+. I don't keep track. Regardless, it's a lot of time, and I don't deny I have some level of obsession.

By contrast, you're wanting to remove the time you spend on forums, and just count "other stuff." That makes no sense to me. Okay, you're spending more time on other things. Cool. You're also spending countless hours on Disney. How is it not central to your life just because it's online, or just because you like pinball? If you removed all "Disney" from your life, how many hours would you get back?

flynnibus

Premium Member

By contrast, you're wanting to remove the time you spend on forums, and just count "other stuff." That makes no sense to me. Okay, you're spending more time on other things. Cool. You're also spending countless hours on Disney. How is it not central to your life just because it's online, or just because you like pinball? If you removed all "Disney" from your life, how many hours would you get back?

Essential vs casual. Ponder that and reconsider my last post. Forum posts may seem like a lot to you, yet none of it is essential in my day, nor does it change much else outside of it. Most of my forum time is while I'm multitasking or other gaps in my life. It's easily replaced or interchangeable with something else... That is not the same for your example and why things are not the same.

It has little to do with TIME and again has to do with importance and revolving life around it.

My hobby time may be spent as 2hrs online one day... Or I t maybe spent as playing pinball for 10hrs yesterday. Yesterday I shifted my schedule and what I did with my family for the day to make that happen. I don't do that to make time to be on the forum. See the difference?

The Disney company is a hobby of mine... But my life does not revolve around it and except for computer time and time reading books... Has little influence on my life.

The simple test again... How many things would you have to remove from your life to not have Disney in it for two weeks?

WDWFigment

Essential vs casual. Ponder that and reconsider my last post. Forum posts may seem like a lot to you, yet none of it is essential in my day, nor does it change much else outside of it. Most of my forum time is while I'm multitasking or other gaps in my life. It's easily replaced or interchangeable with something else... That is not the same for your example and why things are not the same.

It has little to do with TIME and again has to do with importance and revolving life around it.

My hobby time may be spent as 2hrs online one day... Or I t maybe spent as playing pinball for 10hrs yesterday. Yesterday I shifted my schedule and what I did with my family for the day to make that happen. I don't do that to make time to be on the forum. See the difference?

The Disney company is a hobby of mine... But my life does not revolve around it and except for computer time and time reading books... Has little influence on my life.

The simple test again... How many things would you have to remove from your life to not have Disney in it for two weeks?

It depends upon the week. Some weeks I'm camping at Yosemite with no cell service, some I'm in a random city in Asia trying to figure out the rails, some I'm geeking out at a D23 event. If the latter is the case, I'd need an exorcist to remove the Disney from me--and I'll willingly admit that.

What about you? When was the last week you had no Disney in your life? I don't care about 'essential v. non-essential', or any of that. You're making up a lot of rules on the fly, but how much is this "non-essential" thing in your life?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

For me, and I would assume for many others, this is impossible to answer. This is the only Disney message board, website, blog, whatever I go to. I have spent months without logging in and I've had periods where I've read stuff and not made any posts and other periods where I've made 5-10 posts/day. Like you, I'm watching the AFC championship game. What your asking is very hard to quantify. I have never re-arranged my schedule to be on the forum. I wouldn't think many do that. One of the SFW fantasies that is in my normal rota (along with heavy metal guitarist, US men's world cup star, professional beer taster, vineyard owner, deep sea fishing guide, super hero patrolling downtown Indianapolis in an undershirt and sweat pants) is that I have an unlimited budget to make all the changes I want to EPCOT. How can I quantify that?

flynnibus

Premium Member
It depends upon the week. Some weeks I'm camping at Yosemite with no cell service, some I'm in a random city in Asia trying to figure out the rails, some I'm geeking out at a D23 event. If the latter is the case, I'd need an exorcist to remove the Disney from me--and I'll willingly admit that.

What about you? When was the last week you had no Disney in your life? I don't care about 'essential v. non-essential', or any of that. You're making up a lot of rules on the fly, but how much is this "non-essential" thing in your life?

Im not making anything up... Im trying to break it down into elements you can consume since you seem to be struggling with understanding simple participation verse being dependent on it. Maybe you need a refresher on the fable about the commitment vs involvement

The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed

The same holds true here... Posting in discussion forums is just involvement... A lifestyle is commitment.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For me, and I would assume for many others, this is impossible to answer. This is the only Disney message board, website, blog, whatever I go to.

So if you arent online with wdwmagic... How many other disney centered activities are you involved with in a two week period? Thats not Hard to quantify.

Maybe some foxworthy is needed.... If you cant tell where disney is or is not in your life, you might be a lifestyeler :)

WDWFigment

Im not making anything up... Im trying to break it down into elements you can consume since you seem to be struggling with understanding simple participation verse being dependent on it. Maybe you need a refresher on the fable about the commitment vs involvement

The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed

The same holds true here... Posting in discussion forums is just involvement... A lifestyle is commitment.

Apologies. I struggle with so much, and this just seems to be one of those things. You're entirely right, and no matter how many hours per day you spend talkin' Disney, you have moral superiority to me. Sorry I tried to suggest otherwise. Us meek lifestylers sometimes try to do that, but it always ends in predictable disaster.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So if you arent online with wdwmagic... How many other disney centered activities are you involved with in a two week period? Thats not Hard to quantify.

Maybe some foxworthy is needed.... If you cant tell where disney is or is not in your life, you might be a lifestyeler :)

Pretty much none if I'm not planning a vacation or if I'm not there. But, I would argue that your ham and egg example is far too simplistic. I think most of us are located somewhere along a continuum....Why is this being discussed anyway? Whoops. I almost forgot. Some posters here don't live far from me and I might see them once a year and we talk Disney some then.

On a side note, I was under the impression that the lifestyler definition seemed to imply a blind brand loyalty along with commitment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I always kinda thought a Lifestyler had to be someone who was more than just a park fan. Someone who had a business related to Disney or even if they didn't make money directly off of it at least had their own website. I never really understood the fascination here with so called "lifestylers" anyway so I could be way off base.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Pretty much none if I'm not planning a vacation or if I'm not there. But, I would argue that your ham and egg example is far too simplistic. I think most of us are located somewhere along a continuum....Why is this being discussed anyway? Whoops. I almost forgot. Some posters here don't live far from me and I might see them once a year and we talk Disney some then.

On a side note, I was under the impression that the lifestyler definition seemed to imply a blind brand loyalty along with commitment.

Wdwfigment posed the question....thats why its being discussed.

I think its pretty obvious given the scales already mentioned something that may happens infrequently is not the subject of discussion

flynnibus

Premium Member
Apologies. I struggle with so much, and this just seems to be one of those things. You're entirely right, and no matter how many hours per day you spend talkin' Disney, you have moral superiority to me. Sorry I tried to suggest otherwise. Us meek lifestylers sometimes try to do that, but it always ends in predictable disaster.

Childish cop out.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I always kinda thought a Lifestyler had to be someone who was more than just a park fan. Someone who had a business related to Disney or even if they didn't make money directly off of it at least had their own website. I never really understood the fascination here with so called "lifestylers" anyway so I could be way off base.

Correct. The free swag for being a fawning sycophant for the 14 people who regularly read their blog was part of the defintion.

bhg469

I always thought the lifestylers were ones who spend most of their week days in the parks obsessing over minor park details. Also they tend to have a hive mind when it comes to protesting the removremoval of a water feature that they never knew about until it was being torn down.

NearTheEars

Childish cop out.

Did you ever answer his question though?

I think all he is trying to say is that essential time and non essential time are still equal in when it comes to how long it takes. The motivation means nothing when it comes to minutes, seconds and hours.

By your definition so far, a person could be going to the parks for five hours every day, but as long as they tell us they could give it up in a heartbeat because it's not essential, then they are saved from the dreaded lifestyler tag.

I'm drawing that definition from you saying that you spend a decent amount of time online talking Disney, but you aren't necessarily committed to it. But in the end, you are still consistently active here.

As for me? I live in the greater OTown area and go to the parks with my fiancé about once or twice a month. I spend about an hour on wdwmagic (the only WDW site I bother reading) and I once tried to start a tumblr (that's auto linked to Twitter and Instagram) to post my photos, but if you look at it, it's pretty clear I'm not very committed to that. :D

So, I guess maybe I'm a failed lifestyler.

Cesar R M

T'was the joke.

This is what happens when I cant make the dirty jokes anymore; my jokes go over everyone head.
uuU36AJ.gif

lazyboy97o

But are you in Yosemite because you heard Walt Disney once peed on a bush there or for other reasons? Or a more common one I notice is those who instantly became Marvel fans on December 31, 2009. That is the sort of distinction. Yeah, its a continuum but the distinction would be the degree to which Disney influences multiple and major life choices.

Cesar R M

As for me, the definition of a Lifestyler is someone who cannot survive witouth having at least some sort of interaction to the affected thing.
Sort of an addiction.
Someone who throws disney, smells Disney and buys Disney out of pure impulse are lifestylers.
People who pull the Disney card and flaunt how much Disney they have in their life imho are also lifestylers.
People who can overspent and dangerously damage their life/health and finances( to have their Disneyfix) is also considered a "lifestyler".

OdFaf7D.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did you ever answer his question though?

Maybe they got lost in the ad hominem attacks. I already told him where disney typically is in my week.

I think all he is trying to say is that essential time and non essential time are still equal in when it comes to how long it takes. The motivation means nothing when it comes to minutes, seconds and hours.

And how long something takes does not define its its relevance or significance to someone in the life style choices they make. The fact i spend 10hrs a week acting as a taxi for my kids does not me i have some great life interest in being a taxi driver or that i would make lifechoices to deeper my imersion in that activity. Absolute amount if time is a poor measure of how people prioritize things or their decision logic. Impact... Compromises... Commitment needed... Those are all far more telling indicators of how important and central something is to someone. I compromise very little to post here... There is zero commitment needed... It impacts very little (except my sleep sometimes!). Removing it from my life would change my life or activities very little. So regardless of my post count over 7 years... The post count has little to do with how intertwined disney is in my life.
By your definition so far, a person could be going to the parks for five hours every day, but as long as they tell us they could give it up in a heartbeat because it's not essential, then they are saved from the dreaded lifestyler tag.

No because as i defined, what it would take to accomplish 5 hours a day in the parks means compromising other things and would reflect what you prioritize... Showing that your need to be in disney far outweighs normal life activities most grown adults would be expected tomtend to. It has nothing to do with the number of hours in itself, but what it would take in sacrafices and compromises to make it happen. That is the tell on the behavior... Not in the absolute number of hours.

I'm drawing that definition from you saying that you spend a decent amount of time online talking Disney, but you aren't necessarily committed to it. But in the end, you are still consistently active here..

An activity level that more closely coresponds to the amount of computer time i have and what hobby projects i am involved with... Rather than defining the relevance of disney in my personal life choices. Which is why trying to label people purely based on post counts is misguided.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

As for me, the definition of a Lifestyler is someone who cannot survive witouth having at least some sort of interaction to the affected thing.
Sort of an addiction.
Someone who throws disney, smells Disney and buys Disney out of pure impulse are lifestylers.
People who pull the Disney card and flaunt how much Disney they have in their life imho are also lifestylers.
People who can overspent and dangerously damage their life/health and finances( to have their Disneyfix) is also considered a "lifestyler".

OdFaf7D.gif

This has become one of my absolute favorite movies. It's on often in my house...even if it's background noise to cleaning, or putting away laundry.

I wish it had a theme park presence.

And I'm crazy excited for what's coming next, from disney/marvel. All of it.

(That doesn't make me a lifestyler, does it? Ignore my Guardians tank top and Frozen socks that I'm wearing...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom