A Spirited Perfect Ten

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is what I've gotten out of this discussion too.

As for timeline. I can tell you that when I first started participating in Disney Internet fandom near the end of 1996, there were already elements of what other people would call "lifestyler" behavior. I'm just not sure where others would draw the line.

I spent a great deal of 1997-1999 on mIRC chatting it up with Deb Wills, Deb Koma (although, she was pretty much just a Mom back then...maybe the original Disney Mommy if I really stop to think about it), and the rest of the original crew that went on to become the AllEarsNet team. I wouldn't put them in the "lifestyle" category. They had an interest, better financials or a better location to be able to visit more than the rest, and a desire to inform. but I couldn't say the same about everyone that wasn't hanging on to their every word. People were already rearranging their lives to make their home more Disney, be able to afford more trips, how their personalities could be more Disney. It started before I showed up, but the old RAD group, prior to RADP had already created the Trimobius Disney Cabinet. For most people, it meant you picked a silly name, and put a line in your signature, and that was the end of it. But for more than one person it meant that everything they posted, must be written in a style that supported your TDC persona. Some of it more respectable than others. Anyone else remember Iago and Zazu's Attraction of the Week posts? That was what we had at the time for more detailed Disney info. That, Yesterland, and the infrequent posts from Widen Your World, but Bruce and Ronnie introduced that "character personality" into the narrative. And all the sig conventions of posting how many times you had visited, where you had stayed, originated on USENET. I never got into the Emuck stuff, but I would guess lifestyler behavior was there. And some Disney fandoms pre-date the internet. The Mouse Club, was founded in 1979. And while I'm sure most people were primarily interested in simply finding "like-minded individuals", and sources to buy and sell collectibles, I'm pretty sure there were already more than one person who went far beyond that, based on interactions with people years later in other avenues.

My own "claim to Disney internet fame" was in 1998/1999, my husband and I got upgraded to a night in the Yellowstone Suite at WL. Took a whole roll of film, just "documenting the room" (oh, if digital cameras were just a little farther along) I couldn't WAIT to get back home to put them on my dinky, little website. And yes, people just gushed over it, and yes it was thrilling.

Technology has given "lifestylers" better tools to work with (digital cameras, blogs, twitter). And some of the "expression" has changed. We were part of the NFFC from 1998-2005ish, and while attending conventions you could certainly see that your "worth" could be measured by some in how many Disney Legends would count you as a "friend." Same thing happens now, but we look at it differently, because so many of the true Disney Legends have passed on, or aren't doing well. Saying you were "so lucky" because you spent last weekend at the Davis' house (with both Marc and Alice) instantaneously had more value than taking selfies with random Disney Parks Blogger. If the 90's gang, had had similar technology all of the lifestyler stuff would have played out in a much more apparent way then.
Wow a blast from the past there! I certainly remember a lot of that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the 90's gang, had had similar technology all of the lifestyler stuff would have played out in a much more apparent way then.

Most certainly - like many hobbies... the internet didn't create the topic's interest, it was a new enabler that expanded the audience.. and helped blossom small seeds in people into larger things because of the information and self empowerment it brings.

"Scenes" were much harder to discover for outsiders and often required adopting technology that may be new to people (like IRC and Usenet). Now, the scenes can be found with google hits, and joined using the same tools a person uses every day for other things. It radically reduces the 'barrier for entry'.

Certainly people who lived/breathed Disney existed before the net.. but the sharing/visbility and volume of people living that way has changed I think. Plus, the cliques.

Kman101

Why does it matter to anyone who's a "lifestyler" or not? Even if you think they're unstable, or if you think it's unhealthy (my opinion is that who really could spend THAT much time in the parks and I'm not sure why many are making a 'career' out of it ...) who cares? Let 'em. Why do we worry so much about everyone else and what they're doing?

hopemax

Side note but I think if Tony Baxter were to be in the same room and even made eye contact, I'd lose it, let alone actually talking to him. Thinking of it, I'm fangrrling, there's a million questions and with my luck they'd all come out at once.

So I suppose I shouldn't mention that one time, when my parents and I were were walking through Toon Lagoon at IOA, a few days after the grand opening of Hogsmeade, and we ran into Tony, Kevin Kidney, Jody Daily and some other person and chatted about what they thought of it. And then when my Dad asked if they saw the projections in the Three Broomsticks, and they all went "NO!" and then had to wander back off in the direction of the land.

Wow a blast from the past there! I certainly remember a lot of that.

While I would much rather have lived through the original years of Disneyland or WDW and have seen those changes, I realized after posting that I am in a rather unique position of being one of the few who is still around that got to experience the evolution of the Disney Fandom. Starting in 1996, I can remember when the DIG and Al was mostly a poster on ADD and a small website on AOL. When Deb's site was WDWIG. Bartender Sam and the Save Toad movement. I am the oldest, still active poster on LaughingPlace.com (I used to say non-staff, but since Dave, Doobie and Rebekah don't post anymore I feel like I can drop the non-staff...although I do mostly hit and run posting on all sites, so active is a relative term). I started posting on the Rumors & News board on the DIS not that long after Another Voice showed up (I saw someone bring up his Twitter posts recently, met him twice in person), lived through the various crashes and board upgrades while Pete was growing his business by leaps and bounds A bunch of us Rumors & News folks all ran off from the DIS and had our own little world for several years. We all used to make fun of this site for the too much Pixie Dusting. But being off in our world, most of the celebrity blogging and tweeting missed us by.

I ended up coming here, because a family medical crisis in 2014, meant I was in Orlando a lot more, and I had to figure out all the MyMagic nonsense. I went to the DIS, and was completely astonished by what I was reading in terms of customer service, technological failures, etc. I needed some place that would delve beyond the "vacation implications" and I knew this was where the Spirit had run off to after basically leaving LaughingPlace.

Everyone has a role they play within the fandom, and I have always fessed us to mine being the Librarian. But I kind of wish I had been a psychologist or sociologist, because watching all of this has been an interesting study and would make a fabulous real world case study. Could have actually done something useful with it, vs being able to come up with questions for Bob Iger that can generate quite a few likes.

Kman101

Please send us the list of Kman101 approved discussion topics so we can be sure to stay within the lines.

You don't have to have such an attitude. Not sure why you frequently choose to jump on me, and others, who don't seem to meet your criteria or don't agree with you. You seem to always want to be right and have the last word. That and childish retorts. For someone who wants to knock "lifestylers" you sure spend a lot of time seemingly worried about what gets posted on here.

I was asking why anyone cares what anyone else does? I'm not telling you what to talk about but if that's how you want to take it, go for it. I'll better explain myself next time.

Instead of worrying about me "telling you" what to discuss, how about answering the question? Why do you or anyone care what anyone else does? Why does it matter if someone wants to live at the parks 24/7?

flynnibus

Premium Member
You don't have to have such an attitude. Not sure why you frequently choose to jump on me, and others, who don't seem to meet your criteria or don't agree with you. You seem to always want to be right and have the last word. That and childish retorts. For someone who wants to knock "lifestylers" you sure spend a lot of time seemingly worried about what gets posted on here.

Maybe I take offense when people attack me or what I've said without understanding it first? Please point out where in this conversation I've "knocked" lifestylers or spend a lot of time worrying about what gets posted? I responded to a freaking question asked by SOMEONE ELSE.

I was asking why anyone cares what anyone else does? I'm not telling you what to talk about but if that's how you want to take it, go for it. I'll better explain myself next time.

What in the world does describing a label or behavior have to do with caring what someone does or not? By being able to articulate something does not mean you are for or against the thing you are describing. In what part of the discussion was there anything saying that people can or not do these things.. or any judgement about it?

And yes.. when you interject in an ongoing conversation with "who cares?' - that can easily be interpreted as trying to dismiss the whole discussion as pointless.

spacemt354

Chili's
Please send us the list of Kman101 approved discussion topics so we can be sure to stay within the lines.

I've been keeping up with this discussion recently and enjoyed much of the back and forth, yet this comment feels like more of a cop out than the post you accused a few pages ago of being a cop out.

Commitment vs involvement, the comparison you have been using to further your argument, contradicts your claim that time has nothing to do with how essential something is in a person's life.

Both commitment and involvement are associated with time. If something was non-essential, it wouldn't be used very frequently. Frequency is associated with time. The amount of posts on a site are associated with time spent on the site, regardless of how prioritized the site it is to you, or how much thought commitment it takes for you to post. You're still spending time on the site and you can't separate time and importance as easily as you're making it seem.

If forum time is so easily replaced with something else in your life, then why isn't it? The last few months I haven't been able to frequent this site as much as I used to because I've had a lot of extra work and less free time. However circumstances I can't control is a lot different than voluntarily choosing to not post. You had said removing the forum would change your life very little, yet I don't see how that's possible because it's still impacting how you spend your time. About 1400 posts per year has to have some relevance in your life. It seems like you're splitting hairs to define such a specific interest level that only pertains to you.

Kman101

I never attacked you. You took my post as an attack. I never said "Flynnibus, why do you care". I never told you what to discuss. LOL.

I asked a question and I suppose under your criteria it should have been worded better. You were the one who called me out and made a smart comment towards me.

I want to know why people are so bothered by those who spend their life in the parks. And yes, I take that as caring what someone else is doing.

And it isn't "interjecting". It's called getting into the discussion. I guess not in your mind though. It's a discussion board and I have every right to voice my opinion and "interject" into the conversation. It wasn't a private/personal discussion.

Let me take it down to your level. I'll make sure to ask you next time before I jump into a conversation.

dupac

I never attacked you. You took my post as an attack. I never said "Flynnibus, why do you care". I never told you what to discuss. LOL.

I asked a question and I suppose under your criteria it should have been worded better. You were the one who called me out and made a smart comment towards me.

I want to know why people are so bothered by those who spend their life in the parks. And yes, I take that as caring what someone else is doing.

And it isn't "interjecting". It's called getting into the discussion. I guess not in your mind though. It's a discussion board and I have every right to voice my opinion and "interject" into the conversation. It wasn't a private/personal discussion.

Let me take it down to your level. I'll make sure to ask you next time before I jump into a conversation.
It might matter to some people because they see lifestylers as "enabling" the poor standards that currently exist at Walt Disney World. Perhaps in the minds of some, they allow Disney to continue to add on premium up-charge events, while neglecting general guest experience.

I don't necessarily hold this opinion (I don't think about lifestylers too much myself) but I could see this being a motivation for some people to discuss this.

flynnibus

Premium Member

and you clarified that afterwards.. that's fine.

To that topic I think it stems from the fact that so much of the media and news the Disney community relies upon flows through those types of people. So that means those personalities are up in the center of things, and the dynamics of the situation can lead to influencing that very news/media people are relying upon.

It's not a case of 'live and let live' when the topics at hand are biasing the 'product' people are consuming. It's not like saying "I don't care what an actor does in their time off the stage" because here the product and their ability to continue are intertwined with the life choices.

Of course there is the secondary aspect of the social commentary on how they live their lives... but besides the drama that involves, IMO its not really central to the importance of the subject. I mean.. you will always have the gossip about people and their choices.. be it how your neighbor affords his nice cars, or who someone hangs out with, or how they spend their time. But that is more drama that the world could do without.

But compounding the second issue is the behavior of many folks in these circles... I don't want to spend time on speculating what causes it... but to call it high school drama and cliques would be soft...

You act like I used 'interject' in a negative sense... it wasn't intended to be. Simply that there was a conversation flow and you inserted yourself going in a different direction entirely.

John

Ahhhhhh nine days in FL. The AKL.....crisscrossing Fl. I come home and the more things change the more they stay the same. Discussing discussions about lifestylers. BTW, some people never learn. I would suggest choosing someone else to do your back and forth other then the judge.....God how I missed these spirited threads.

My week at WDW what did I learn? That it seems that maintenance has gotten better. The place hasn't looked as good. I was pleasantly surprised.

The food has actually gotten worse! The food at the deluxe AKL food court is inedible. But at Boma....oh la la!

I always go to WDW in January, if there is any more evidence that any park named anything else but MK needs additions desperately needs to look no further then this past week. MK was butts to nutts. MGMHollywood Studios or whatever they call the place this week was busy at times but if you were anywhere but the big three ( TOT, TSMM and RNRRC ) the place was basically empty.

Poor EPCOT, the place was a ghost town. Heck I seen Sorin' stand by under an hour:jawdrop: FOr all you chainsaw act haters, the act drew a the biggest crowd of any act in the park. I walked right past it. Funny how the CM's would wear ear protection and the guest had none. I could hear it across the lagoon at the American pavilion.

The "Flag act" in Italy......please just no!

Confession time: I cancelled my California Grill ressie to watch the Ravens at ESPN. Only Judge Flynni will understand.

AKL is stunning, a little under lite for my taste but it proved that Disney can still knock it out of the park ( pun intended) where it comes to detail. The place is amazing.

Lastly, I had the utmost pleasure of spending sometime with a certain Magic member and her family while I was at WDW. Her kid to a real liking to me. I was thinking about a possible trade.....a FP for TSMM but I don't think she would go for it. Also a certain other member was noticeably absent. But he is forgiven....till next time.

asianway

Great post, and exactly what I'm getting at. Bloggers are certainly the most prominent example of the "ilifestyle community," but there are plenty more non-bloggers in it.

1984 seems too early tho. Even 10 years ago, the majority of online sites were directed at making money. "Tour Guide Mike," for instance, was never a huge fan of the parks--I don't think he set foot in them unless he was being paid. Similarly, "Board X"--at one time the largest DISney site online--was created to promote a travel company, although it was slowly taken over by lifestylers and eventually shifted editorial content to cater to them. The idea of taking 20 pictures a day of BAH deconstruction or pictures of a Dole Whip would have seemed ludicrous to these people--they were all about giving useful information re: a WDW trip, not feeding some hunger for WDW news/nostalgia.

@PhotoDave219 may be on to something with Twitter. "#DisneyTwitter"* is certainly the hotbed of the lifestyle community. If you still don't understand the concept I'm talking about, go spend an hour on Twitter, you'll get it. But there were already people spending an inordinate amount of time at WDW as of the late 90s; Adventurers Club is the best example of this, as is so often the case with this subject. By the 90s, the idea of moving to Orlando "to be close to Disney" was definitely a thing.

* [I realize "#DisneyTwitter" started as a joke, but much like "Bro Country," the joke is just too fitting not to keep the term.]
#DisneyTwitter is like the worst cliques you ever encountered in high school, except amplified fivefold since there is no threat of physical violence to keep things in check

Cesar R M

Its matters if someone is a "lifestyler" because its a plague....they will turn your children into "lifestylers". They will infest your schools, your churches,your hospital. Soon "lifestylers" will be everywhere and the world will end. Duh.
We need a fancy cool name to christen this apocalypse.
Any ideas?

Cesar R M

and in other news that the world is going to end...

One of YouTube's top earners for 2014... is some women just unboxing Disney licensed toys
http://fusion.net/story/38924/the-h...-million-just-by-opening-disney-toy-packages/
I dont see whats wrong with that.
Some people want to see what the packages contain, so when they buy them.. they will have all the things.
These "unboxing" videos are really good tools to know what you will face when you buy stuff.
Still surprised she is top rate.
I bet the new "Disney infinity" toy line added a lot to her hits (due of the Marvel and soon Starwars characters being inserted into the lineup)

As for earners.. people complained how "Gangnag Style" was top earner a few years ago lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom