A Spirited Perfect Ten

ParentsOf4

I called my guide at DVC to express my displeasure at the new Poly DVC. She was equally disenchanted to a point. Of course she had her script to follow, but her heart was not in it. I could hear it in her voice. We agreed that the new Trader Sam's Grotto was a plus. I'd love to know how sales are going, after all the various polls here on this site and others have a 70-75% disapproval rate among current DVC members. Now that's got to be a first among we pixie dusters.
Even the official (and moderated) DVC member website has mostly negative comments for the new Polynesian Villas & Bungalows (PVB) DVC.

Comments include:

"So at $160 per point, I would need $134,000.00 in order to buy the points to spend a week there during a 'low' season time? Slightly crazy in my opinion. I agree with many others when I say that I thought about adding on, but not now."

"I wish the new Polynesian Villas & Bungalows offered the traditional 1 and 2 bedroom villas. I will not be buying at this new resort. It's really disappointing. I wish the new studios had a king size bed. The maintenance fees are sky high."

"What a great deal, only $160 a point. In order to enjoy a good week, it will only cost you a cool $32,000. Disney is definitely getting a little greedy. No other significant benefits for members either, unless you like really long lines."

"It is apparent disney dropped he ball, I have been a member for 12 yrs. better off selling and pay cash for my vacation and not to Disney"

"wow unless you have a gazillion points you can't even stay in the bungalows. They seem impressive and yet unattainable for the average vacationer"

"I was excited and thinking about buying until I seen point chart. If i stayed here i would need a LOT of points."

"I had made several thoughtful comments that reflect our disappointment with the astronomical point values and disappointing queen-only studios, yet they never appeared here. Why?"

"I love Disney....always have, always will but the Points for Poly are very disappointing. Was going to add on but have changed my mind. Pity."

"Where is the price per point? Scared of the sticker shock? Points chart is a joke for the 2 bedroom. More availability for the Mouse to rent out nightly for really big bucks. Very sad day."

"That point chart is outrageous. I think Disney better get back to the basics. It was supposed to be an advantage to be a DVC owner. With all of the special packages and perks they offer to non - members they have taken away any reason to buy."

"Booo Disney Vacation Club!!! 160 points per night for one of the bungalows during the summer. Unreal! I can get a Savannah view room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 50 points per night during the same time frame."

"The rooms are sleeping more but there is less storage. Think about 5 suitcases and the stuff inside them, and you have one closet for all the clothes. Crazy!"

"I just don't get it. Overpriced. And only choices are studios & rooms on lake that you can't (and wouldn't want) to use? But, at least you can have ten-thousand lookie-loos floating by your bedroom door at all hours! I expect better from DVC."​

There are more negative comments. Positive comments are few and far between. Again, this is on a site moderated by Disney. :eek:

Oh, I should mention that none of my comments made it onto the site. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

More than any other DVC resort that has come before, PVB makes little financial sense. The primary reason to buy DVC is to save money over the long-term. With PVB's purchase price, annual Maintenance Fees, and points-per-night, it takes a very specific set of circumstances to achieve savings in anything approaching a reasonable amount of time.

If you:
  • Intend to vacation at WDW for decades and
  • Absolutely love the Polynesian and can't imagine staying at any other Disney Deluxe Resort and
  • Always vacation at times when Disney does not offer its frequent "Room Only" discounts and
  • Have at least the $27,000 cash needed to make a purchase
Then a PVB purchase makes financial sense for you. Under these very specific circumstances, you should be able to reach the magical "break-even" point (the point at which PVB starts saving money) in about 10 years.

Once you start deviating from these circumstances, your break-even point starts stretching into decades.

Rent points from an existing DVC member and the break-even stretches out to over 20 years.

Let's say you don't have the cash and can visit WDW when they offer "Room Only" discounts. In this case, 30 years of vacations at the Yacht & Beach Club will cost less than 30 years at PVB. That's a lot of vacations at one of WDW's more expensive Deluxe Resorts in order to start "saving" money.

Switch to one of WDW's less expensive Deluxe Resorts such as the Wilderness Lodge or the Animal Kingdom Lodge, or stay at a Moderate Resort instead, and you'll never reach the break-even point.

Disney is not expecting large numbers of top earners to buy at PVB. Instead, the vast majority of PVB sales will be to those of more modest means who fall for Disney's slick sales pitch and fuzzy math. The math to calculate the break-even is complicated, not something that can be done on the back of a napkin, so Disney is banking on "Guests" simply going along with the numbers Disney throws at them during the sales pitch.

As can be seen by the comments on the DVC member website, those who have been through this once before are not falling for it. Disney is banking on consumer ignorance and their misplaced trust in what's supposed to be one of America's most respected companies. :greedy:

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
A big part of the problem is the bungalows are high profile and the most visible, desirable part of the addition. Contrast that with the presidential suite or something at one of the other resorts where a majority of people probably don't even know they exist. This sets an expectation that this accommodation "is what we've all been waiting for..." And then you find out it's priced not for 'everyone' but a much greater exclusive club than you expected and excludes YOU. The tiering and "in your face" presentation breeds this kind of discontent.

Just like people brooding over fp people moving past them in a line.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Indeed I did. I didn't know Iger said something about waiting on EP 7 numbers. That kind of logic on his part would indicate he deserves a massive reduction in compensation.

Yes he did say something of the sort in one of the earnings calls, Iger bought Star Wars mainly for street cred and milking the franchise fees, Disney is no longer a creative company it's much closer to VIACOM but without Sumner Redstone's instincts on how to creatively USE the IP Viacom owns.

I agree he needs a massive reduction in compensation and that's said as a shareholder as DIS has simply gone sideways the past couple of years in that valuations have not increased relative to the larger market. ie you are no better off holding DIS as an individual stock relative to a index fund.

Cesar R M

Had to restrain myself from punching a fellow guest tonight.
He thought the Haunted Mansion was missing something from its audio track and decided to scream bloody murder every couple of minutes throughout the ride, ruining it for a host of guests. Folks even started angrily yelling at him, which didn't help much.

He was very pleased with himself.

How unfortunate. I hope it wasn't anyone's first ride.
probably someone acting all smug and .
Same type of jerks as those who tough it was "cool" to spoil the harry potter book important parts( to those waiting outside the bookstores on the release day).

ParentsOf4

A big part of the problem is the bungalows are high profile and the most visible, desirable part of the addition. Contrast that with the presidential suite or something at one of the other resorts where a majority of people probably don't even know they exist. This sets an expectation that this accommodation "is what we've all been waiting for..." And then you find out it's priced not for 'everyone' but a much greater exclusive club than you expected and excludes YOU. The tiering and "in your face" presentation breeds this kind of discontent.
It's more to do with the DVC points needed for stays at the PVB bungalows. DVC members are comparing the PVB bungalows with other options and finding the bungalows grossly overpriced.

Let's consider some DVC resorts for a week stay during spring break or summer:
  • PVB 2-bedroom bungalow: 1174 points
  • Grand Floridian lake view 2-bedroom villa: 551 points
  • Bay Lake Tower theme park view 2-bedroom villa: 472 points
  • Boardwalk Villas boardwalk view 2-bedroom villa: 350 points
  • Animal Kingdom Villas savanna view 2-bedroom villa: 372 points
  • Grand Floridian lake view grand villa: 1174 points
  • Bay Lake Tower theme park view grand villa: 1065 points
  • Boardwalk Villas boardwalk view grand villa: 800 points
  • Animal Kingdom Villas savanna view grand villa: 767 points
The PVB bungalow square footage includes the exterior deck. If you consider only the interior space, PVB bungalows are quite small, not much bigger than some of DVC's larger 1-bedroom villas. A PVB bungalow is WDW's smallest 2-bedroom villa.

Grand Villas are truly grand. Grand Villas are double the size of 2-bedroom villas, the equivalent of 6 hotel rooms in all.

DVC members are incensed at having to pay more for small 2-bedroom bungalows than for Grand Villas.

Last edited:

Bolna

It's more to do with the DVC points needed for stays at the PVB bungalows. DVC members are comparing the PVB bungalows with other options and finding the bungalows grossly overpriced.

The PVB bungalow square footage includes the exterior deck. If you consider only the interior space, PVB bungalows are quite small, not much bigger than some of DVC's larger 1-bedroom villas. A PVB bungalow is WDW's smallest 2-bedroom villa.

Grand Villas are truly grand. Grand Villas are double the size of 2-bedroom villas.

DVC members are incensed at having to pay more for small 2-bedroom bungalows than for Grand Villas.

Well, those bungalows certainly gave DVD a hell lot of points to sell for profit - to people who will never want to stay there, but are planning on using the points for studios. I can easily see the studios being very hard to book without the home resort advantage if 95% of the PVB owners want to stay at studios which only make up about 2/3 of all the points of the resort...

They will use those bungalows as a huge selling point though...

asianway

Grand Villas are truly grand. Grand Villas are double the size of 2-bedroom villas.

For a view the lifestyler brigade gets for free 363 nights of the year

ParentsOf4

Well, those bungalows certainly gave DVD a hell lot of points to sell for profit - to people who will never want to stay there, but are planning on using the points for studios. I can easily see the studios being very hard to book without the home resort advantage if 95% of the PVB owners want to stay at studios which only make up about 2/3 of all the points of the resort...

They will use those bungalows as a huge selling point though...
PVB will add a bit more than 4 million DVC points, making it a mid-sized DVC resort. The Grand Floridian added 2.5 million points, making it WDW's second smallest DVC resort.

For reference, a week's stay during spring break or summer in a boardwalk view Studio at the Boardwalk Villas is 132 points. Any Studio at the Beach Club is 134 points. A Bay Lake Tower theme park view Studio is 183 points. A lake view at the Grand Floridian is 199 points.

DVC Studios (essentially hotel rooms) are always the first to get booked. The typical DVC member has less than 200 points. By the time you get up to 300 points, you've crossed over into DVC's larger members.

imagineer boy

Had to restrain myself from punching a fellow guest tonight.
He thought the Haunted Mansion was missing something from its audio track and decided to scream bloody murder every couple of minutes throughout the ride, ruining it for a host of guests. Folks even started angrily yelling at him, which didn't help much.

He was very pleased with himself.

How unfortunate. I hope it wasn't anyone's first ride.

Oh god, I've ridden through the HM a few times where people think they're cool to scream all the way through the ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I guess what I left out in my position was that these are units that are setup to be these ultra-premium units given the location, style, and different amenities. One can argue if they are truely 'worth' it or not.. (and compared to other units) but clearly Disney positioned these as these ultra-priced units. Most of the initial sticker shock was around the audacity that there are disney units priced at these levels... when this isn't entirely new. The difference is the masses don't typically look at staying in a presidential suite...(or a grand villa) but poly building on the water.. that resonates with far more people.. and there is no denying that thing starring you in the face. Its the old 'showing them what they can't have...'

People would stay there regardless of the room size.. we know that. Its also a very unique product in Disney's portfolio.. with extremely limited availability. The grand villas have similar pricing and it didn't cause such a ruckus before.. and I don't think it had anything to do with people seeing them as 'values' :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Just like people brooding over fp people moving past them in a line.
I think this is the biggest driver of the negativity. People see the bungalows and the point total and immediately realize they would have to give up 3 vacations to stay there. Before details were announced and Poly DVC was just a fanboy dream with whispers of a rumor almost everyone was excited for it. During the GF DVC build the main question asked was if people would want to wait for the Poly. Now that details are released people are turned off. I would say it's probably the high cost for points and large number of points per night for the studios compared to WLV or BWV but there was no backlash when VGF opened with a similar point chart. I think the letdown for the villas is the biggest factor...I also bet they sell out in less than 3 years too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom