A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

If it was not Disney's lawyers would have been here long ago with a C&D for Steve
In the benefit doubt..
crushing down a single individual could cause a big Streisand effect.

specially someone as loud as @WDW1974

as for hacking from a fortune500 country..
nah, they would HIRE hackers from somewhere else they can delete tracks easily.
Unless they are THAT dumb and incompetent to leave tracks.

ParentsOf4

Are the stock buyback increases by TWDC below or above the overall increase in stock buybacks for S&P 500 companies? Or at least for comparable corporations.

Also, if TWDC stock buyback follows a general trend, which it apparently does, then the comparison between Eisner and Iger is rendered meaningless, both merely acting in line with common practices, responding to broader economic and financial realities.
Perhaps I wasn't clear.

"Everybody's doing it" doesn't make stock buybacks smart. Quite the opposite. There's a growing consensus that the current level of stock buybacks are bad for the economy and bad for long-term growth of the companies that are doing it.

Please consider reading the following from the HBR:

Profits Without Prosperity

In part:

Consider the 449 companies in the S&P 500 index that were publicly listed from 2003 through 2012. During that period those companies used 54% of their earnings—a total of $2.4 trillion—to buy back their own stock, almost all through purchases on the open market. Dividends absorbed an additional 37% of their earnings. That left very little for investments in productive capabilities or higher incomes for employees.

The buyback wave has gotten so big, in fact, that even shareholders—the presumed beneficiaries of all this corporate largesse—are getting worried. “It concerns us that, in the wake of the financial crisis, many companies have shied away from investing in the future growth of their companies,” Laurence Fink, the chairman and CEO of BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, wrote in an open letter to corporate America in March. “Too many companies have cut capital expenditure and even increased debt to boost dividends and increase share buybacks.”

Why are such massive resources being devoted to stock repurchases? Corporate executives give several reasons, which I will discuss later. But none of them has close to the explanatory power of this simple truth: Stock-based instruments make up the majority of their pay, and in the short term buybacks drive up stock prices.

Ultimately, consumers make up the vast majority of the market and when consumers, in the form of pay, are not participating in the current boom, another bust is not far away.

I miss the days when senior executives had more vision than figuring ways to inflate the value of their stock options. :(

the.dreamfinder

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

"Everybody's doing it" doesn't make stock buybacks smart. Quite the opposite. There's a growing consensus that the current level of stock buybacks are bad for the economy and bad for long-term growth of the companies that are doing it.

Please consider reading the following from the HBR:

Profits Without Prosperity

In part:

Consider the 449 companies in the S&P 500 index that were publicly listed from 2003 through 2012. During that period those companies used 54% of their earnings—a total of $2.4 trillion—to buy back their own stock, almost all through purchases on the open market. Dividends absorbed an additional 37% of their earnings. That left very little for investments in productive capabilities or higher incomes for employees.

The buyback wave has gotten so big, in fact, that even shareholders—the presumed beneficiaries of all this corporate largesse—are getting worried. “It concerns us that, in the wake of the financial crisis, many companies have shied away from investing in the future growth of their companies,” Laurence Fink, the chairman and CEO of BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, wrote in an open letter to corporate America in March. “Too many companies have cut capital expenditure and even increased debt to boost dividends and increase share buybacks.”

Why are such massive resources being devoted to stock repurchases? Corporate executives give several reasons, which I will discuss later. But none of them has close to the explanatory power of this simple truth: Stock-based instruments make up the majority of their pay, and in the short term buybacks drive up stock prices.

Ultimately, consumers make up the vast majority of the market and when consumers, in the form of pay, are not participating in the current boom, another bust is not far away.

I miss the days when senior executives had more vision than figuring ways to inflate the value of their stock options. :(
It's a good time to mention BlackRock is one of Disney's largest shareholders.

The Empress Lilly

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

"Everybody's doing it" doesn't make stock buybacks smart.

Consider the 449 companies in the S&P 500 index that were publicly listed from 2003 through 2012. During that period those companies used 54% of their earnings—a total of $2.4 trillion—to buy back their own stock, almost all through purchases on the open market. Dividends absorbed an additional 37% of their earnings. That left very little for investments in productive capabilities or higher incomes for employees.​
The point was not that stockbacks are bad/good. The point is that everybody's doing it. ^^Good quote.

That means that buybacks are not an Iger thing, but a Wall Street thing.​

BrerJon

Thats unclear at the moment. I'd guestimate by 2020. (No solid source, just my gut and a few rumors)

2020! By that time Disney will be way ahead of them with their Star Wars Potter swatter!

Oh wait, no they won't. Well how about Avatar, yeah that will show the Wizarding World!

What do you mean that was supposed to swat the *first* Potter land? Hey, it's not Disney's fault that those Universal lands are breeding like flies and they can't build swatters fast enough!

Phil12

it doesnt explicitly need Russian counterparts.

There are many areas with very weak tech laws.

Pretty sure most latinamerica, India, middle Easter countries, almost all ex soviet union countries and African nations are havens for Internet criminals.
Let's not forget China and North Korea. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
A Spirited Quickee:

Remember when someone (can't recall who) said it may be until 2021 and WDW's 50th that all of Star Wars Land/Studios Makeover is complete?

Well, word from the left coast said that this is now a likelihood with ''some things' debuting sooner''. No, I don't know what those things are.

Hey, though, what's wrong with waiting another six years, right? Who knows? By then UNI may actually have started its third gate and seventh resort hotel.

Absimilliard

While looking through the old family pictures, look at what I found:
IMAG5282.jpg

The complimentary tickets were from a letter my mom wrote after a terrible visit to the Disney MGM Studios in July 1989. Concept was awesome, but the park simply could not accomodate the huge crowds. Plus, There was little shade to be had in that park. So, we got some complimentary tickets and used them in 1996 to go to the Magic Kingdom. This is when I fell in love with my favorite WDW attraction... Alien Encounter.

What a change from the current Magic Handcuffs and Big Brother tickets!

the.dreamfinder

While looking through the old family pictures, look at what I found: View attachment 88033

The complimentary tickets were from a letter my mom wrote after a terrible visit to the Disney MGM Studios in July 1989. Concept was awesome, but the park simply could not accomodate the huge crowds. Plus, There was little shade to be had in that park. So, we got some complimentary tickets and used them in 1996 to go to the Magic Kingdom. This is when I fell in love with my favorite WDW attraction... Alien Encounter.

What a change from the current Magic Handcuffs and Big Brother tickets!
Speaking of MAGICal handcuffs, what happened to the RFID "chipticks"?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just decided to see a late movie, so I thought I'd drop back to offer a few points.

I get that some (many?) folks don't care about Disney and China. They don't care about SDL or HKDL ... they don't care much about anything that isn't WDW. That's not me, and I'm sorry (no, I'm not, just being polite) but it is better than making up news or talking about very small things ad nauseum.

FWIW, there just isn't much happening at WDW and that includes behind the scenes. How many threads do we have here discussing the same thing: namely renovations at the Poly? It's all one project, yet we have threads for the lobby, threads for Trader Sam's, threads for the pool, threads for the bungalows, and now threads for the studios. If you are that into seeing how Disney has largely destroyed (or re-imagined depending on your viewpoint) yet another part of the WDW I fell in love with, then more power to you. I just am not that interested.

I'd rather focus on big picture stuff (and, no, I don't feel like even the crappy Hub redo is big picture).

Back to the news I dropped above, the funding for the Star Wars project is moving steadily along (and being cut, naturally) but should still be in place by the start of summer, just in time for D23 announcements.

There may be some news coming from DAK, but I need to wait on a confirm for it. But, no, it is nothing you've heard or discussed here yet (that means it does not include Star Wars or pandas).

But that's just it. There isn't news. You can't make it up because fans are bored with the property and want to be fed new product. I do too. But it isn't happening right now (beyond what you know about).

~Dear Leader Out~

PhotoDave219

A Spirited Quickee:

Remember when someone (can't recall who) said it may be until 2021 and WDW's 50th that all of Star Wars Land/Studios Makeover is complete?

Well, word from the left coast said that this is now a likelihood with ''some things' debuting sooner''. No, I don't know what those things are.

Hey, though, what's wrong with waiting another six years, right? Who knows? By then UNI may actually have started its third gate and seventh resort hotel.

I thought i was just being an when I was saying 2020/2021?

Nubs70

The point was not that stockbacks are bad/good. The point is that everybody's doing it. ^^Good quote.

That means that buybacks are not an Iger thing, but a Wall Street thing.​
The point is that excessive buybacks are bad for an individual company and bad for an economy when everyone is doing it. And Iger is not forward thinking enough to see how his actions will impact Disney in the future. He is concerned with his legacy and his legacy alone.

BrianLo

But that's just it. There isn't news. You can't make it up because fans are bored with the property and want to be fed new product. I do too. But it isn't happening right now (beyond what you know about).

Hey, I know a solution!

It starts with HKDL and ends with news. Somewhere in the middle there are some spirited rumours. :D

Can't knock me for trying again, right?

There may be some news coming from DAK, but I need to wait on a confirm for it. But, no, it is nothing you've heard or discussed here yet (that means it does not include Star Wars or pandas).

Don't suppose it's related to the land clearing up by Rafiki's planet watch train station?

fillerup

One of Disney's largest institutional shareholders thinks buybacks harm companies by leaving less capital to be reinvested for long term gains.

Thanks for the clarification. I wondered if you were suggesting something sinister but see you weren't. I've run across people who have confused BlackRock Institutional with Blackwater Security.

Good info about BlackRock.

Phil12

Just decided to see a late movie, so I thought I'd drop back to offer a few points.

I get that some (many?) folks don't care about Disney and China. They don't care about SDL or HKDL ... they don't care much about anything that isn't WDW. That's not me, and I'm sorry (no, I'm not, just being polite) but it is better than making up news or talking about very small things ad nauseum.

FWIW, there just isn't much happening at WDW and that includes behind the scenes. How many threads do we have here discussing the same thing: namely renovations at the Poly? It's all one project, yet we have threads for the lobby, threads for Trader Sam's, threads for the pool, threads for the bungalows, and now threads for the studios. If you are that into seeing how Disney has largely destroyed (or re-imagined depending on your viewpoint) yet another part of the WDW I fell in love with, then more power to you. I just am not that interested.

I'd rather focus on big picture stuff (and, no, I don't feel like even the crappy Hub redo is big picture).

Back to the news I dropped above, the funding for the Star Wars project is moving steadily along (and being cut, naturally) but should still be in place by the start of summer, just in time for D23 announcements.

~Dear Leader Out~
Perhaps it might be more appropriate in the forum for news related to Disney Parks around the World: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/tokyo-hong-kong-and-shanghai.40/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom