A Spirited Perfect Ten

TeriofTerror

My question (and I've asked it before) is what happens when fatigue sets in? These films are cyclical and VERY pricey to create.

Are people going to want to see Thor 7: *(^&, I dropped the hammer on my foot!!! or Jar Jar Binks Goes to College on Endor or Cars 15: Lightning Goes to Hollywood and Gets Rearended or The Amazing, Awesome and Incredible Spiderman 26: We're rebooting and doing an origin story again?

I just don't see it.

And what else will Disney have? Nothing. Because Iger has made the Studio into a nothing but tentpole deal.

I have no doubt Disney will be doing great with that for the next 2-4 years ... beyond, it gets as hazy as a typical day in Shanghai.
Color me guilty. I'm no fan of the Cars franchise, but slap Star Wars on just about anything and I'll watch it - even a Christmas special. ;)

the.dreamfinder

Interesting photo out of the TEAs last weekend. Tony Baxter gave UNI it's TEA for Diagon Alley. WDI, you've been passive aggressively burned son!
image.jpg

Image: Theme Park Insider

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Time for a graph ...

Historically, Disney rarely bought back its own stock. Like most companies, Disney actually issued stock in order to raise capital to invest and grow the business.

1984 was the first year that Disney bought back an appreciable amount of stock as it fought off a hostile takeover attempt.

Immediately after this, Michael Eisner was brought onboard to fix corporate Disney. Eisner did a phenomenal job, growing company revenue by an incredible compound annual growth rate of 15.1% during his 21 years as CEO. Eisner did this by investing in capital projects, not by repurchasing company stock.

When Bob Iger took over, priorities changed. During Iger's first 9 years as CEO, Disney's revenue has grown by only 4.8% annually. Under Iger, the focus has shifted from growing the company to growing stock price.

This is best illustrated by comparing Disney stock repurchases to the company's total capital expenditures across all business segments:

View attachment 87936

Disney is not alone. In 2014, S&P 500 companies spent over $550 billion on stock buybacks.

Cash rich companies used to invest in research & development, new technologies, and capital projects, creating millions of jobs in the process. Now companies spend those hundreds of billions buying back their own stock, effectively stuffing that cash in a mattress.

You want to know why Wall Street is booming while the middle class is struggling?

Look no further than stock buybacks.
so much for the BS of "trickle back economics" :>

Cesar R M

This seems to be speculation on your part. What you have described is felonious conduct. I don't think any company as you describe is foolish enough to engage in felony criminal interception of computer communications. It appears that you make these allegations to bolster your panache as a courageous vanquisher of the dark side of Disney.

On the other hand, if you indeed have evidence of unauthorized computer intrusions, I urge you to contact the FBI to report your concerns: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber
he really thinks companies haven't done worse stuff and used the best of best lawyers to try to get away from jail.
2slGb.gif

Cesar R M

Marvel and Star Wars are pretty safe I think - decades of comics mean endless stories to mine, and Star Wars has a lot of mileage, but I don't think Pixar is that safe a bet. They've had a run of stinkers since they became the sequel factory, and although Inside Out looks good, their record in the last few years is no better than Dreamworks was in its heyday, and look where they ended up, so even the mighty can fall.
imho.. the issues with dreamworks is dumb management.
Also the Disney umbrella really damaged Dreamworks reach imho.
Because technologically speaking, Dreamworks as been way above Disney in special effects in the 3d animation.
But also, overused the "lets use big box office stars as voice actors to flaunt our movies!".
which end costing them a lot.

asianway

Is there a section reserved for lifestylers? They're going to need a lot of room for theme park experts pontificating on the merits of the themed design while nursing their souvenir drinks.
If I had to listen to that guy in person I'd blow my brains out right at the bar. Never have I heard someone make such utterly wrong statements yet be hailed as some sort of expert

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So to this point, all your returns are paper returns?
Isn't this true with any growth stock? Not all stocks are income stocks. DIS has a dividend yield about in line with Apple. Most people are buying these particular stocks for price appreciation, not dividends.

Buying back shares and paying dividends are both ways to return capital to shareholders. Buybacks end up with a more favorable tax treatment for anyone who holds the shares more than a year. They also make options more valuable so it's not surprising that corporate American is in love with stock Buybacks.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
It's simple to the CCP the 'Disney' Brand is symbolic of the US, The Chinese DO NOT LIKE the US, They
Marvel and Star Wars are pretty safe I think - decades of comics mean endless stories to mine, and Star Wars has a lot of mileage, but I don't think Pixar is that safe a bet. They've had a run of stinkers since they became the sequel factory, and although Inside Out looks good, their record in the last few years is no better than Dreamworks was in its heyday, and look where they ended up, so even the mighty can fall.

Pixar has not had a failure yet outside Cars 2. Arguably the least successful movie critically was Monsters University. Dreamworks has always been #2 to Pixar, they actually destroyed their studio making sequels recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom