A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Perhaps I wasn't clear.

"Everybody's doing it" doesn't make stock buybacks smart. Quite the opposite. There's a growing consensus that the current level of stock buybacks are bad for the economy and bad for long-term growth of the companies that are doing it.

Please consider reading the following from the HBR:

Profits Without Prosperity

In part:

Consider the 449 companies in the S&P 500 index that were publicly listed from 2003 through 2012. During that period those companies used 54% of their earnings—a total of $2.4 trillion—to buy back their own stock, almost all through purchases on the open market. Dividends absorbed an additional 37% of their earnings. That left very little for investments in productive capabilities or higher incomes for employees.

The buyback wave has gotten so big, in fact, that even shareholders—the presumed beneficiaries of all this corporate largesse—are getting worried. “It concerns us that, in the wake of the financial crisis, many companies have shied away from investing in the future growth of their companies,” Laurence Fink, the chairman and CEO of BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, wrote in an open letter to corporate America in March. “Too many companies have cut capital expenditure and even increased debt to boost dividends and increase share buybacks.”

Why are such massive resources being devoted to stock repurchases? Corporate executives give several reasons, which I will discuss later. But none of them has close to the explanatory power of this simple truth: Stock-based instruments make up the majority of their pay, and in the short term buybacks drive up stock prices.

Ultimately, consumers make up the vast majority of the market and when consumers, in the form of pay, are not participating in the current boom, another bust is not far away.

I miss the days when senior executives had more vision than figuring ways to inflate the value of their stock options. :(

Right now the 'ME' generation is in charge of the C suite, Notably the ME generation lacks a moral compass, It will be left to Gen X and the Millenials to clean up the mess created by the baby boomers.

lazyboy97o

You do know it's possible to distribute malware through images and audio files, If a Microsoft OS detects code within a media file it will execute it - why ANYONE thought that was a good idea I'll never know.
Yes, and? So it was in a site or email always checked before visiting this site? Or every image in the ad system? A even stupider amount of work for public information.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, and? So it was in a site or email always checked before visiting this site? Or every image in the ad system? A even stupider amount of work for public information.

Actually one of the newest attack vectors is through the ad networks which attempt to install 'egg droppers' via the ad's It's one reason I run flashblock and no-script. With the notable exception of Google and a couple of others the AD distribution networks don't vet the content being distributed.

Before I started to run NoScript and Flashblock AV was firing on malware periodically when I'd visit an ad supported site. (Like THIS one) it's another reason I have premium membership as NO ADS are pushed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The point was not that stockbacks are bad/good. The point is that everybody's doing it. ^^Good quote.

That means that buybacks are not an Iger thing, but a Wall Street thing.​

The uniquely Iger thing on buybacks is he is doing them on a much larger scale on a proportional basis than the rest of the 'Street without a announced goal to take the company private which he could when TWDC and aligned stockholders own 51% of TWDC stock.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Indeed, I realize the possibilities. But I wasn't talking about Russian Federation hackers. I was sticking to the premise that a Fortune 500 company (such as a media company) might have some sort of vendetta against me. And you correctly point out that most hackers realize that being in a place beyond the reach of law enforcement is important. I wonder how many Fortune 500 companies have Russian Federation counterparts?

Two words 'plausible deniability' a company doing this type of carp will always hire a outsider - there have been multiple examples of companies hiring hackers to gather 'dirt' to silence dissenting voices, And senior executives being prosecuted after their intermediary is bagged by LE and makes a 'deal' to catch a much larger fish.

Last edited:

ABQ

...the funding for the Star Wars project is moving steadily along (and being cut, naturally)...

Aaaaaaaand there they go again, there it is, as if there was any question otherwise. :banghead:
Unless anyone's head has been in the sand for decades, talk of cuts to a project should come as no surprise. However, since perhaps when the park was first built, has there been any large project that didn't experience cuts in its budget?
I truly think that in this current age of leaked everything about a project, we hear of cuts and nothing but doom and gloom come from it. I'm not saying that's not without precedent. But, hypothetically, I have to think that things like the building of WDW's Splash Mountain was budgeted at one amount and then cut along the way as well, but in 1992, we didn't have all the social media outlets we have today to let us know that there was supposed to be this and that included in it, but so many dollars we slashed along the way.

bhg469

Unless anyone's head has been in the sand for decades, talk of cuts to a project should come as no surprise. However, since perhaps when the park was first built, has there been any large project that didn't experience cuts in its budget?
I truly think that in this current age of leaked everything about a project, we hear of cuts and nothing but doom and gloom come from it. I'm not saying that's not without precedent. But, hypothetically, I have to think that things like the building of WDW's Splash Mountain was budgeted at one amount and then cut along the way as well, but in 1992, we didn't have all the social media outlets we have today to let us know that there was supposed to be this and that included in it, but so many dollars we slashed along the way.
Here is the thing. Disney can get away with just about anything they do. If we have cardboard cutouts of Yoda and fiberglass land speeders people will still show up. The only ones who will be let down will be the star wars faithful. Disney doesn't need to impress their audience anymore because there is always more audience waiting to be underwhelmed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here is the thing. Disney can get away with just about anything they do. If we have cardboard cutouts of Yoda and fiberglass land speeders people will still show up. The only ones who will be let down will be the star wars faithful. Disney doesn't need to impress their audience anymore because there is always more audience waiting to be underwhelmed.

Sadly true, There are indeed times I wonder why I still visit WDW, My family still enjoys WDW so I guess that's enough for the moment.

space42

True - but when was the last time WDW built anything as ambitions as Splash Mountain? If they were constantly building things with that scope, we wouldn't be here talking about it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Every engineering project in history has had cuts applied, The problem is now the cuts are so visible even to those who do not obsessively follow social media about DIsney.

Examples being the 'is this all there is' feeling on 7DMT, The amazing queue at Mermaid yet the show is underwhelming especially the rushed ending The really bad forced perspective with Beast's castle, The cardboard Olaf's at 'Frozen Fun' - FrozStrom. I could go on.

ABQ

Every engineering project in history has had cuts applied, The problem is now the cuts are so visible even to those who do not obsessively follow social media about DIsney.

Examples being the 'is this all there is' feeling on 7DMT, The amazing queue at Mermaid yet the show is underwhelming especially the rushed ending The really bad forced perspective with Beast's castle, The cardboard Olaf's at 'Frozen Fun' - FrozStrom. I could go on.
Correct, and I was careful to not state anything along the lines of "who cares, they cut this and that and look how awesome it still came out..." as perhaps since Splash, nothing like that has been true. I'm just stating that as you concur, everything receives cuts. I hope, pray, sacrifice the last hairs from my head, that Imagineering asks for 10 zillion dollars in budget and hopefully only gets 50% of that slashed. As 5 zillion would allow for an awesome Star Wars land.

Funmeister

Guest satisfaction is declining. Fact. Proof is Disney is adding another Soarin' theater and Toy Story Mania track. They would never do this if the amount of guest feedback was not overwhelming.

The only thing that will stop and prevent this from continuing to happen is if Disney designs and builds additional higher (much higher) capacity attractions.

They sold the public on how how much less they would have to wait with NextGen only for them to realize they actually have to wait longer. Sure some people (not all are worthy of scheduling Fast Passes...remember that) can schedule a few Fast Passes ahead of time and let's say best case scenario they will walk right on. Let's say it is for eight attractions. (You and I both know that is almost three times the amount anyone can schedule at a time but let's dream a little huh?) Is waiting 60 to 80+ minutes for everything else really worth it? Even on a slow day you will see some wait times 45 min and above with low crowds.

All of a sudden the number of "experiences" compared to the price I paid becomes less and less. I am getting less and less but paying more and more.

Disney has a huge problem that they created...they know it...but how do they fix it besides opening the pocketbooks (which they will not...at least not in Florida until it is way too late) to do a half-assed crap job of trying to fix it.

It will be interesting to see if they learn from their mistakes or continue to buy the same pixie dust BS they have been selling people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom