A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

Real Star Wars fans hate everything except Empire, Boba Fett and their manchild toy collection. ;)
False. Boba Fett was a cool looking character. I'm a star wars fan and I despise his popularity because

A. He is a slaver... how could you like someone that is trafficking wookies as slaves?

B. He went out like a chump. A more pathetic death than most star wars characters.

ParentsOf4

Star Wars is far more than the 6 films.

And there's nothing peculiar about hating the prequels.
Real Star Wars fans hate everything except Empire, Boba Fett and their manchild toy collection. ;)
I remember being dragged to an opening day (not the opening day, May 25, 1977, which was only a limited engagement) 10 AM showing of Star Wars at my local theater by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic).

I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater. This was back in the day when movie theaters were large with hundreds of seats per screen.

The opening music was cool, I was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even begin to warm up to the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

We stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phones, word got out quickly. I remember people on pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the theater. The last showing we stayed for was packed.

I've never attended another movie showing that could ever touch the magic of that first day. Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for adult audiences and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. Jaws and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

Star Wars completely changed the movie going experience. At the time, it felt like all other movies before it lacked the one thing Star Wars had an abundance of: joy.

Star Wars was the first "fun" movie I ever watched. It's a feeling that's impossible to explain to those who did not experience the 1970s and did not see Star Wars during its initial run.

After that experience, Star Wars will always remain one film. :D

Last edited:

Nemo14

I remember being dragged to an opening day (not the opening day, May 25, 1977, which was only a limited engagement) at my local theater 10 AM showing of Star Wars by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic).

I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater. This was back in the day when movie theaters were really big with hundreds of seats per screen.

The opening music was cool, I was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even begin to warm up the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

We stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phones, word-of-mouth got out quickly. I remember people on pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the theater. The last showing we stayed for was packed.

I've never attended another movie showing that could ever touch the magic of that first day. Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for an adult audience and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. Jaws and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

Star Wars completely changed the movie going experience. At the time, it felt like all other movies before it lacked the one thing Star Wars had an abundance of: joy.

Star Wars was the first "fun" movie I ever watched. It's a feeling that's impossible to explain to those who did not experience the 1970s and did not see Star Wars during its initial run.

Wish I could like this 100 times!

lazyboy97o

And you know what is hilarious about the some of the lines for Young women for Cinderella and Malificient is they were sold at Hot Topic. If Disney only had a store to sell stuff in.
It is interesting when you see a Hot Topic near a Disney Store. There are times when the merchandise is very similar, just in a different size and background color.

You have a point but Attractions are separate experiences from each other. whereas the Star Wars Movies are part of an inter-connected story.
What you have described is an amusement park, not a theme park. And there are lot of inconsistencies in the grand story that was 12 unconnected films, then 9 connected films, then only 3 films, then 6, and now 9 again

It's not though. 4, 5 , and 6 could easily stand alone and did. I feel like you're only missing about 10% of the story if you didn't watch them.
That's because the prequels were a story concept for like half a film stretched over three.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So, the highlight of the shareholders meeting was Doobie 's son Gideon getting a discombobulated Bob Iger to sort of admit to the rebranding of TPFKaTD-MGMS (something I told you was happening well over a year ago)?!?!

Sorry, I need a day off from the insanity of Disney and the fan community. Maybe I should go eat a tasty bacon cupcake while looking at those photos Disney released today of Bob, Tom Staggs and new parks head Lex Luthor on the SDL site.

WHAT YOU TALKING 'BOUT WILLIS?!? There was no release of any pics. So shocking. Truly.

Why are people not paying attention to what is right in front of their faces?

Yep, I need a day (or two off) from this sheer insanity. I'll just go sit with my tinfoil hat collection because it sure beats choosing to be ignorant.

Tinfoil hats have been proven to increase the effectiveness of the mind control rays by a MIT study in 2005.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

Cliff notes version, Tinfoil hats actually amplify the signal by up to 1000X (30 db)

ABQ

I remember being dragged to an opening day (not the opening day, May 25, 1977, which was only a limited engagement) 10 AM showing of Star Wars at my local theater by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic).

I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater. This was back in the day when movie theaters were large with hundreds of seats per screen.

The opening music was cool, I was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even begin to warm up the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

We stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phones, word-of-mouth got out quickly. I remember people on pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the theater. The last showing we stayed for was packed.

I've never attended another movie showing that could ever touch the magic of that first day. Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for adult audiences and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. Jaws and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

I may have been in the same theatre, who knows. But I feel much the same as you do about the changed experience. Not sure if it's true, but I think "they" claim it was Star Wars and its manner of opening, the music and right into the scrolling prologue text, that is to blame for credits universally being moved to after the film rather than before the film.
Coincidentally, the following summer I recall riding in a hot, hot, hot rental car from Tarpon Springs up the Bee line highway to Lake Buena Vista with my Kenner make die cast R2-D2, no A/C, listening to Rhine Stone Cowboy to make my first visit to the Magic Kingdom. I recall crying myself to sleep as that R2-D2 toy was lost in said theme park too. :bawling:

The Empress Lilly

Great story! It is amazing how people got instantly hooked on Star Wars.

My first taste of Star Wars was seeign a trailer on tv. Not a commercial, but a movie show or something. I had heard of the movie before, was curious, but not more than that. Then the trailer played... I was mesmerised. I was a fan for life, instantly. Not dissimilar to how I became a WDW fan for life two years later, hooked for life before I had even left Town Square.

Here's the thing: I never got to see Star Wars! It didn't happen. Nobody else was interested, and I wasn't an assertive enough kid to make my interests fully known to my parents. I was the biggest Star Wars fan around, and had never seen the movie.

It was made up for three years later though, when Empire hit. I went to a double showing, in this massive Art Deco cinema. So fantastic. The moment that Star Destroyer came overhead... It remains the most inmpressive sight I've ever seen on a movie screen! The first spaceship was impressive enough, but then that enormous thing hunting it.... :O I thought it would never end!

I also loved Empire, and Jedi. I still maintain Jedi is the greatest of them all, despite purists denouncing it as a commercial sell-out and 'eew Ewoks' and blahblah. Of the prequels I disliked Phantom, but thought the other two great movies in their own right.

As for Boba Fett, he is like the Orange Bird. Cool and stuff, but it escapes me why they should've gained such cult status among fans. All because Boba shows how he's got swag by nodding his head slowly to Vader? Pft. I cheered when he went down like a little girl in Jedi. (Although outwitting the Falcon in the rubbish was cool, fair play to him)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I thought my comment was pretty obvious. Whether it ends up a good movie or not (may or may not be), the trailers thus far have done a poor job at selling me on its quality and have presented the movie as bland and uncreative. That is their purpose, trailers are supposed to drum up interest in a film and make you want to see it, the two I've watched however have planted doubts in my mind about whether the movie will appeal to me. Again we shall see whether this is the case or not, but my point was that the trailers have caused me disinterest in the movie and caused me to hold off on seeing it until reviews.

It isn't a conclusion on the movie itself, it's a poor first impression of selling me on seeing it. The trailers switched me from giving them the benefit of the doubt to "wait for some reviews first".

The sisters were one strong aspect of the movie. I liked them a lot and wished Elsa had more screentime. But I dislike Olaf and find him annoying and unnecessary. The villain was also worthless and uninteresting (a serious sin for a Disney movie imo is to have a boring and worthless villain, and this particular movie would have functioned fine without one at all). Also didn't like the trolls or the parents (both parties of which I consider at fault for leading Elsa down a poor path).

I'd rank the movie under the mid to high 80's. It is a fun little flick but doesn't deserve the general acclaim it got. And yes I would consider it overrated, highly so. Everyone was even saying it was as good as Beauty and the Beast. BS.

Finally someone else who admits they find Olaf annoying and unnecessary - glad I'm not the ONLY one!

BrianLo

WHAT YOU TALKING 'BOUT WILLIS?!? There was no release of any pics. So shocking. Truly.

Is the issue that we have no pictures of Bob at SDL, or that we suspected he hadn't been... Because they acknowledged he was there a month ago during the meeting.

I don't see the big issue around witholding press pictures, I can see reasons from both sides (Shendi and Disney) that they are 'attempting' to keep things under wraps still.

Before we make the argument that Disney never would skip the opportunity to flaunt pictures... Bob visits the U.S. based parks sometimes and no official acknowledgment is made. Such as the recent tour of DHS. We only knew because @marni1971 was there to capture it.

truecoat

As for Boba Fett, he is like the Orange Bird. Cool and stuff, but it escapes me why they should've gained such cult status among fans. All because Boba shows how he's got swag by nodding his head slowly to Vader? Pft. I cheered when he went down like a little girl in Jedi. (Although outwitting the Falcon in the rubbish was cool, fair play to him)

A little history from a former 12 yo whose life revolved around star wars in 1977. When the Star Wars christmas special came out in 1978 to a bunch of hungry star wars fans, the greatest thing about it was the animated section starring one bounty hunter, Boba Fett.

The next year, you could send in 4 proofs of purchase from Star Wars action figures for a free Boba Fett figure. This guy was hyped up for 2 years prior Empire being released. He didn't have as big a role in the movie as I thought he would but his appearance was very effective. Empire was too good to be disappointed by this anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom