A Spirited Perfect Ten

NearTheEars

I can't get excited for decade-old rides being sold as "new" anything.

"Here at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, we’re always making investments to exceed your expectations – whether it’s creating new attractions and entertainment or making existing experiences even better.

I believe they are selling it as an expansion, not as a new attraction.

No matter how it's sold, I'd rather be reading about the bigger rumored expansions with these buried lower in the story. Not as the lede.

stlphil

A few thoughts and questions

1. I thought FP+ was supposed to help distribute crowds and improve wait times. If it was successful, why is extra capacity being paid for and constructed?

2. Is this method of "adding" capacity unprecedented? And why now? WDW has had long lines for decades -- why add a track/theater at not one but two rides at the same time?

3. Another building project that does nothing to get me to set foot in either Epcot or MGM.

4. Who is this expansion supposed to benefit? Is the idea that guests won't be in line as long so they can spend more money for food/beverage and shopping?

5. I'm worried that shorter lines at TSMM could mean that DHS becomes a quarter-day park.
Astute questions. And I think these questions point directly at the answer.

The capacity increases for these particular two attractions are not being done due to clamor from guests, or not explicitly to make the day more "magical" for guests, or to enhance their experience.

This is being done because these are the two attractions for which FP+ is essentially "broken". The total daily capacity is less than even just the advanced FP demand. Day-of FP and FP rescheduling are difficult, unless you get lucky, and this just messes up and/or mandates the necessity of tiers and other ancillary issues arising from FP+.

And we all know that FP+, indeed all of MM+, has to work in order to salvage the big egos involved. The costs for these expansions should be included as part of the MM+ budget (and cost overruns) if they really were only approved to mitigate the unintended consequences of the new system.

ParentsOf4

Sorry all, I was a big fan of this move months ago and I'm still a big fan now.

One of the most common complaints is long lines. Disney announces plans to legitimately reduce wait times at two of its most popular attractions and that's bad why?

This is not going to sell tickets or keep people in the park longer so they spend more money, like new attractions would.

Expanding capacity at TSM and Soarin' is about improving Guest experience.

Yes, so much more is needed but this is a step in the right direction.

Disney got this one right. :)

Mike S

Sorry all, I was a big fan of this move months ago and I'm still a big fan now.

One of the most common complaints is long lines. Disney announces plans to legitimately reduce wait times at two of its most popular attractions and that's bad why?

This is not going to sell tickets or keep people in the park longer so they spend more money, like new attractions would.

Expanding capacity at TSM and Soarin' is about improving Guest experience.

Yes, so much more is needed but this is a step in the right direction.

Disney got this one right. :)
My complaint is more like why it's taking so long and the wasted opportunity that Toy Story is taking up.
image.jpg

I'm all for Soarin' expansion though considering there's really nothing else they can do with that land.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A few thoughts and questions

1. I thought FP+ was supposed to help distribute crowds and improve wait times. If it was successful, why is extra capacity being paid for and constructed?
I think this is actually being done to make FP+ work for those 2 rides. They just had way too little capacity for the crowds those parks have. After the addition there should be enough FP capacity for all but the most crowded days.
2. Is this method of "adding" capacity unprecedented? And why now? WDW has had long lines for decades -- why add a track/theater at not one but two rides at the same time?
Again, it's because of FP+. Not completely unprecedented, they did double up Dumbo and add FP+
4. Who is this expansion supposed to benefit? Is the idea that guests won't be in line as long so they can spend more money for food/beverage and shopping?
It is supposed to benefit guests who complained that they couldn't get FP+ for these rides (especially on the day of their visit). One of the biggest things average guests complain about is waiting in line for rides. This will eliminate 60 min+ waits on all but the busiest days.
5. I'm worried that shorter lines at TSMM could mean that DHS becomes a quarter-day park.
Did you really ever wait in the standby line for either ride? I know I never have.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My complaint is more like why it's taking so long and the wasted opportunity that Toy Story is taking up.
View attachment 85661
I'm all for Soarin' expansion though considering there's really nothing else they can do with that land.
These projects don't have to take as long as they do. These projects are deliberately paced out. If they wanted to they could ramp up and finish faster.

I don't see it as wasting valuable land. There is a large empty area where BLT was. Half the park is rumored to be closing. DHS has plenty of current and future space for expansion. I don't think you'll hear them say we would have added another e-ticket but there just wasn't room. It could be argued it's wasting budget or at least time. If you told me they were deciding between the MI Door Coaster and a 3rd track for TSMM I would be really annoyed, but I don't think that was the case. Those are 2 projects with vastly different scope and scale.

I think this added capacity is necessary and will help with issues at those particular rides. They still need to add more rides too. Nobody can argue that.

Lee

Adventurer
I think this is actually being done to make FP+ work for those 2 rides. They just had way too little capacity for the crowds those parks have. After the addition there should be enough FP capacity for all but the most crowded days.

Again, it's because of FP+. Not completely unprecedented, they did double up Dumbo and add FP+

It is supposed to benefit guests who complained that they couldn't get FP+ for these rides (especially on the day of their visit). One of the biggest things average guests complain about is waiting in line for rides. This will eliminate 60 min+ waits on all but the busiest days.

Did you really ever wait in the standby line for either ride? I know I never have.
Yes.
FP+ is a bigger factor in this. Guest experience improvement is a by-product. A nice one, but s by-product nonetheless.

BrerJon

Looks like my sarcastic comment made it through...for now at least:

Great news! So pumped about a 3rd Toy Story track!!! I’ll take this over a new attraction any day, to be honest. Besides, adding a brand new attraction would prevent us from finishing everything at Hollywood Studios in half a day.

I loved that one! Can't believe the censors missed the barb! Mine was rejected, unsurprisingly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom