A Spirited Perfect Ten

NearTheEars

Your right. I guess I just always figured people that were on DPB were superfans as well, but thats not always the case. It was a bit rash of me.

Nah, what's more puzzling is why WDW didn't get its own unique film in the first place. Not suggesting a Florida-themed film, but not California. It just seems odd. It's like telling the parkgoers that they picked the wrong state to vacation in.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, today's alleged 'news' was the additional capacity to both Soarin (which I believe I said was likely what ... two years ago now?) and TSMM.

And people here were censored on the Disney Parks Blog? How awful. But feel free to email Jennifer.J.Fickley@disney.com or Thomas.Smith@Disney.com to tell them how you feel about that. They love the fans. I do have their office and cell numbers as well, but I don't know how MAGICal Steve feels about posting those.

How do I feel about them? The moves not the PR hacks ...

Well, thanks for asking. I guess it is another example of showing that FP+ doesn't work like it was advertised because folks aren't deciding to FP the EPCOT character greeting area or Fantasmic instead of those headliners.

It also shows the lengths Disney will go to NOT build new attractions or replacements for dead zones (look at how many former attractions there are at those parks).

Mike S

So, today's alleged 'news' was the additional capacity to both Soarin (which I believe I said was likely what ... two years ago now?) and TSMM.

And people here were censored on the Disney Parks Blog? How awful. But feel free to email Jennifer.J.Fickley@disney.com or Thomas.Smith@Disney.com to tell them how you feel about that. They love the fans. I do have their office and cell numbers as well, but I don't know how MAGICal Steve feels about posting those.

How do I feel about them? The moves not the PR hacks ...

Well, thanks for asking. I guess it is another example of showing that FP+ doesn't work like it was advertised because folks aren't deciding to FP the EPCOT character greeting area or Fantasmic instead of those headliners.

It also shows the lengths Disney will go to NOT build new attractions or replacements for dead zones (look at how many former attractions there are at those parks).
They are just like the student who will do anything to pass a test except study.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quick question for those who seem to be up on their Chinese culture. Is it socially acceptable in China to smack and slurp constantly when you eat? A large contingent of Chinese people are staying at the same hotel I am at and practically all of them smack and slurp loudly while they eat. Just curious.

I haven't noticed that so much. But I've never seen people eat like some young Chinese girls that worked for me. I swear they could eat five times what I did and still barely weigh over 100 pounds.

Anyway, the biggest issues that you notice at first as an American is the pushing and shoving, even where none seems to required. Often it seems like Black Friday at the Walmart. Friends there have said the behavior goes back to the time when China was poor and food was in short supply and you'd have to push and shove to make sure you got some. Spitting is also a big deal ... it's just done everywhere, although less than it once was (again according to friends there).

One thing that shocked me at first was the toddlers wearing ... well, outfits that had convenient little openings in the rear. I guess they are similar to those worn at Imagineering parties.

PhotoDave219

It was honest and refreshing. The pollution problems there are just beyond belief for most Americans. UNI is going to have some major issues there just as Disney will in Shanghai.

I'm not disagreeing with you..... just very odd to hear that honesty from an elected official.

WDW1974

Original Poster
In addition to the spitting, there is a different mentality regarding personal space, as well. My first experience was waiting for our luggage at the airport in Beijing, literally our first moments in China. Folks kept bumping into me from behind, and I thought maybe they saw their bag on the carousel. Nope! They just wanted to be in the exact spot where I was.

This theme continued throughout our two weeks in China, split between Beijing, Changsha, and Guangzhou. However, it was most prevalent on buses, in subways, at street corners, or anywhere you had to queue up for something (how will this mesh with theme park attractions?). The one exception was on Shamian Island (in the Pearl River within Guangzhou). That was a very quaint park-like setting with limited vehicle traffic.

I do recall being in the subway near the Bird's Nest after they did a rehearsal night for the Opening Ceremonies and it was one of the only times in my life that I felt there could be a stampede. Just wall to wall people shoving. It took about 20 minutes, but we made it up stairs, walked a few blocks and got a cab back to our apartment. I do think many Americans would have wanted to cry for Mommy and hop on a plane stateside after experiencing that.

The most depressing thing for me during our trip was the air quality. We saw blue skies maybe one morning in Changsha and one or two days in Guangzhou. No blue skies in Beijing to be found.

Beijing is beautiful when you do get blue skies ... I had quite a few days of them, but that was after six weeks of basically Orlando heat with worse humidity and horrific smog and no rain to cool things down.

My first day at HKDL was a beautiful sunny day ... but also wretchedly hot ... mid-90s, humid and no rain.

WDW1974

Original Poster
At 5'11" I also was a giant, and I agree that the full contact queues generally were more amusing than bothersome.

The average 77-year-old Chinese woman could probably put a fanboi on the ground with a stiff arm.

To be fair, I never really noticed that being a problem at HKDL ... but with the influx of more mainlanders things may well be worse now.

I do know that many friends went to the Expo in Shanghai in 2010 and all had horror stories of pushing and shoving and no line order at all. I think that's something Disney is up against in Shanghai ... well, that and the fact that most people there simply have no idea what the Disney BRAND is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Really? Hockey?
Of all the things to discuss, it's deteriorated to hockey.
:facepalm:

That's what happens when I'm not around. I'm here now because ... well, nothing like having a four-year old AC die for the umpteenth time (lesson: sometimes it's better to pay a lot more than get something that seems like a bargain) meaning it is a gross 80 degrees inside the Spirit Cave on the morning of March 6th!!! And I promised to take family to the airport at 4 a.m. so why bother even attempting sleep?

Angie M. and I really need to retire to St. John like now!

(Besides, think of how happy that will make folks in Burbank!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
By late 2016? Disney can build a whole new theater in that time? I'm shocked to be honest. Nice to hear about new projectors too. FINALLY!!!!!! Also, "Here at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, we’re always making investments to exceed your expectations." Overstatement of the century.

That word usage really bothered me. ... Fans don't care about 'investments'' -- that's a word for the analysts.
And I'm sorry but Thomas is flat out full of .

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll be very surprised if it isn't deleted soon. All they would have to do is look into how many of my DPB comments DIDN'T get approved. This is actually the first one of mine they've approved.

I wonder if the DPB has every known IP address of @WDW1974 automatically blocked :hilarious:

I have never attempted to post there nor will I.

I did reply to yet another survey recently, however. It was for WDW APers and I just let them have it. And since you have to give your zip code there is no way they don't know exactly where those comments came from. I am really starting to think about whether to call it a career with my AP. The only thing holding me back is friends up there and sorta owning DVC.

WDW: Keep Paying More and Getting Less! But we has got MAGIC BANDS!

PhotoDave219

That's what happens when I'm not around. I'm here now because ... well, nothing like having a four-year old AC die for the umpteenth time (lesson: sometimes it's better to pay a lot more than get something that seems like a bargain) meaning it is a gross 80 degrees inside the Spirit Cave on the morning of March 6th!!! And I promised to take family to the airport at 4 a.m. so why bother even attempting sleep?

Angie M. and I really need to retire to St. John like now!

(Besides, think of how happy that will make folks in Burbank!)

My friend, its 15 degrees out. Wind Chill of seven. There's seven and a half inches of snow on the ground. And I'm out of tequila and whiskey.

I think i could handle 80 degrees inside right now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I welcome the break from the endless conversations about Chinese culture and how we will never understand it.

Frankly, since China plays such a prominent role in the future of TWDC, I'd rather talk about it and matters relating to it.

Hey, Zenia Mucha: Where's the photo of Bob Iger or Tom Staggs or Jay Rasulo at SDL ... The Shendi leadership doesn't want you to release one? That must make Bob feel so emasculated ... like he has fewer balls than you!

WDW1974

Original Poster
My friend, its 15 degrees out. Wind Chill of seven. There's seven and a half inches of snow on the ground. And I'm out of tequila and whiskey.

I think i could handle 80 degrees inside right now.

I'm sorry for your cold. But it doesn't change the fact that 1.) my AC is dead yet again; and 2.) it shouldn't be 76 degrees out at 1:30 a.m. the first week of March. Maybe the first week of June ... but we have had NO spring. Basically summer followed by very little fall, followed by a few weeks of winter around Thanksgiving (that means 40s at night and 60s in the day) and a few days about two weeks ago ... and, very likely, we won't even have any real cold fronts again until late in the year.

I am just very disgusted by Florida. I am sticking to my sofa as I type this.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry all, I was a big fan of this move months ago and I'm still a big fan now.

One of the most common complaints is long lines. Disney announces plans to legitimately reduce wait times at two of its most popular attractions and that's bad why?

This is not going to sell tickets or keep people in the park longer so they spend more money, like new attractions would.

Expanding capacity at TSM and Soarin' is about improving Guest experience.

Yes, so much more is needed but this is a step in the right direction.

Disney got this one right. :)

Nah. I still think it sucks. And it DOES take money away from other projects. I like Soarin. I am not a fan of TSMM. I know they are both very popular.

But maybe ... just maybe ... they're so popular because there's so few actual attractions in those parks anymore? Maybe ... just maybe ... the answer is to add reasons for people to visit. No one is going to plan a $7,000 MAGICal WDW vacation because they have a better chance at riding TSMM multiple times.

WDW1974

Original Poster
These projects don't have to take as long as they do. These projects are deliberately paced out. If they wanted to they could ramp up and finish faster.

I don't see it as wasting valuable land. There is a large empty area where BLT was. Half the park is rumored to be closing. DHS has plenty of current and future space for expansion. I don't think you'll hear them say we would have added another e-ticket but there just wasn't room. It could be argued it's wasting budget or at least time. If you told me they were deciding between the MI Door Coaster and a 3rd track for TSMM I would be really annoyed, but I don't think that was the case. Those are 2 projects with vastly different scope and scale.

I think this added capacity is necessary and will help with issues at those particular rides. They still need to add more rides too. Nobody can argue that.

True. But the Door Coaster was supposed to go where the third track is going.

Now, that project died in 2008 and wasn't ever likely coming back. But I think most people would have enjoyed that more than added capacity to a ride thru video game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom