A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since 2001, theme park growth initiatives have been modest to non-existent. The relatively small bump from 2009 to 2012 represents growth capex spent on the DCA redesign, New Fantasyland, and MyMagic+.

Put into a proper historical perspective, it’s apparent that even Disney's recent ‘big’ projects represent comparatively little investment.

THIS!!!

I wish people would simply look at the numbers IF they are going to spout on about Iger and his love for the parks and how he saved them from Micahel's reign of terror (and terrible choices).

Just look at spending and what it was spent on if numbers mean so much to you.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How is the seating/ambiance other than the ride. Can you sit in a corner have a beverage and soak up scenary or does it start to feel superficial after 5 minutes?

I assume you are speaking of Cars Land in general? If so, you absolutely can sit and lose yourself in the land.
Having dinner on the patio at Flo's V-8 and staring out at the Cadillac Range beyond RSRs is a sublime experience.

Even just walking down Rte 66 passing thru and seeing Grizzly Peak rising dramatically in the other distance ... it's also quite geographically sound (something that anti-Cars fanbois in the Twitverse seem to not get) because if you drive through the CA desert, especially in the Lone Pine area, you just suddenly see mountains rising (albeit not shaped like a bear!)

I almost took another cruise on the wonder last fall, however I realized it had not been in drydock yet (ever?) and chose one of the new ships.

The Wonder isn't exactly an old tub, but the cabins (some more than others) absolutely couldn't wait for a late 16 redo and I'm guessing DCL's feedback reflected that and that's why we have the work being done now.

It's no different than staying at the WDW Dolphin or BC now (both are getting new rooms top to bottom), though. You just must have a new room. If you pay X number of dollars and get a room that hasn't had a makeover while someone else has a new room for the same price you will not be a happy camper.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There's a lawsuit in osceola county against DVC for wrongful termination after the plaintiff was raising issues with how DVC was being sold on the ships. I forget the case number, filed early December.

Interesting, Dave. ... I'm just so tired of hearing folks talk about how low pressure DVC sales are versus the rest of the industry.

That is so not true. It's just done in a smarmy deliberately manipulative fashion. ... It's like arguing with a CM at City Hall over the Taco Salad at Peco Bill's having no salad at all and ... yeah, being played with by Disney CMs might be fun for some people. Not me.

DVC can't stand on its own at today's prices. And Disney knows that. So the Mouse does whatever he can to push you into buying ... it just isn't in the same fashion as others.

PhotoDave219

Interesting, Dave. ... I'm just so tired of hearing folks talk about how low pressure DVC sales are versus the rest of the industry.

That is so not true. It's just done in a smarmy deliberately manipulative fashion. ... It's like arguing with a CM at City Hall over the Taco Salad at Peco Bill's having no salad at all and ... yeah, being played with by Disney CMs might be fun for some people. Not me.

DVC can't stand on its own at today's prices. And Disney knows that. So the Mouse does whatever he can to push you into buying ... it just isn't in the same fashion as others.

If i remember the complaint correctly, the DVC sales girl got fired when she raised an issue with the bosses about how things were being sold. No specifics were given but I'm sure it will come up sometime. Osceola County Circuit Court if I remember.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Dear Mr wdw1974, RE: post # 258, paragraph 4. I was the father of an eight year old special needs child. I say was, because she died 2-1/2 years ago. I assure you her wants and desires to visit WDW were not any different than any other 8 year old. She wanted to see the sites, visit any character she could and laugh and smile the entire time. She may not have been worth two cents to you, but to everyone who knew her, she was the sweetest and yes, most magical thing ever. Can you please stop insulting everyone?

I'm terribly sorry that you lost a child. I don't know what to say beyond the fact that just is one of the worst things one can ever go through.

But, please, don't paint me a hater of children, let alone special needs kids. That couldn't be further from the truth.

My comment was about how Disney has changed its product over the years so that EVERYthing seemingly must be fine for a special needs 8-year-old. I don't think that's right or the smart way of running that business. That doesn't in any way insult special needs children ... believe me. I was sickened recently when two fat, lazy, a$$ses got in front of an obviously special needs wheelchair/special stroller bound teen in their ECVs at the WL bus stop. They were loaded before the child who not only was there first, but who actually deserved/needed special attention. His parents clearly didn't realize that by letting these folks on the bus, they were going to have to stand out at the stop for at least another 20 minutes for another bus in 43-degree cold since there is only room for two guests with special needs/equipment. It was grotesque and I spent part of the ride, along with others who saw the entire incident, trying to shame these people with comments. Some folks have no shame, though.

But bottom line is you took a comment that wasn't meant as an insult to anyone as one. I get it based on your experience and that's why I am responding to let you know that most certainly wasn't the intent.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Other people who are trusted are saying there will be more AA's in the ride than just King Kong himself. The same people that I first read about the Jimmy Fallon attraction from before you mentioned it. I'm still excited for it either way. Universal hasn't disappointed me yet with their recent additions.

Yes, I believe there will be. I thought the question was about Kong.

As to UNI, I've expressed my views enough. I largely love what they are doing. But I think they are relying on too many similar attractions in O-Town and seem afraid to deliver an experience in a different format (the opposite of what they are looking to do in Beijing). Everything shouldn't be massive screens. ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Given the outrageous prices, I'm fine with the alcohol. Takes the edge off from all the hoops guests are made to jump through. All the ridiculous nonsense that has sprung up in the past five years, a stiff drink keeps things in check.

Ironically, disney still doesnt utilize its resort bars as profit centers. Else they wouldnt close at 1130.

I never understood closing hotel bars so damn early, and I still don't.

Of course, this is a company too cheap to put out bar snacks and even removed the Sam's Club ones from Mizner's at their wannabe 5-star Grand Flo.

No, I don't get how this company does 'business' ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The people who want to stay in 5 star luxury on the beach over crystal waters... Are going to book their hotel on the beach over crystal waters. The same way the people who want to go to Hawaii for a tropical Hawaiin vacation book to actually go to Hawaii... I don't think anybody has ever booked to stay in the Poly because "Oh hey, why go to Hawaii when for 4 x the price I can stay in a Disney hotel themed to Hawaii!"

Never underestimate the stupidity of some people. Now, I generally agree with your point ... but I'm sure there are people who stay at the Poly who could go to Hawaii and Polynesia and never will because they think ''Disney is close enough'' and it feels safer to them.

I've heard people talk about having no need to travel abroad after visiting the World Showcase, which is the exact opposite of what the place is supposed to inspire. I love WS ... but I also am happy to say that I have been to all the nations represented there with two exceptions and nothing beats the real thing.

The people who book to stay in Disney do so because they want to stay... In Disney. They are there to visit the parks. They then have a choice of hotels to stay in onsite, if they choose to, all of which have a theme. The deluxe offering here is that you have a private pool & unobstructed view of the fireworks, and one of the larger accommodations on property. In Disney. Not the entire vacation options of the world. Disney. In the same way that on planes "luxury" and "first class" seats in reality if you sat them next to a Lazyboy chair, or any other larger comfortable chair, well they aren't really "luxury" and are probably ten times the cost. But you're on a plane. And on the plane those seats are the deluxe option. You don't have to pay it, but you can if you want.

I take it you've never traveled in international first class, right?

All of this "for half the price you could get this and stay in the real bla bla bla..." Is like saying why would you stay in The Venetian or Paris hotels in Vegas when in the REAL Venice and Paris you can stay in an authentic Venetian or Parisian hotel for a cheaper price and have a much better experience!
Well... I'm pretty sure those people in those hotels in Vegas are staying there and paying the prices available to them because... they wanted to go to Vegas. And they simply chose a hotel in Vegas that they liked the look of and they chose to spend their money on.

Well, I've been to The Venetian in Las Vegas and the Venetian in Macau and Paris LV too ... but you're right, people are not visiting those hotels in the place of visiting Italy or France. They are staying at themed hotels in a gambling mecca.

tissandtully

I never understood closing hotel bars so **** early, and I still don't.

Of course, this is a company too cheap to put out bar snacks and even removed the Sam's Club ones from Mizner's at their wannabe 5-star Grand Flo.

No, I don't get how this company does 'business' ...

The Crews Cup Lounge still had those when I was there last year.

Cesar R M

I find it funny people getting up in arms about the drone videos. It's the same thing as if someone would crash a remote control plane toy. I hope we get more videos!
I dont think toys weight that much and have that hard exposed parts (the 4x rotating blades)

A valid point, but it is a really cool video. I'm the first person to say they should shut this guy down, but I don't think it's harming anything to watch the videos. If anything the more views they get the more attention he gets and like @PhotoDave219 said, Disney is now aware.

Disney is missing a golden opportunity here. Some amateur is flying a drone over their parks and drawing a bunch of attention. Why doesn't Disney do the same thing on the Disney Parks Blog? Have a periodic flyover the new construction projects and post the videos for all to see. They could do it before regular park hours and in a safe manner so nobody would be at risk and they could give fans what they actually want. Seems like a quick, cheap and easy way to increase clicks on their site.
maybe they dont want their building secrets to leak this early.

the internet as a lot of experts and could start debunking "the magic" of how the attraction will be.

Cesar R M

What happens if it loses all power or has a complete electronics failure as it's over a crowded space?
You pray..
And then act like you dont know if the police questions you?

If I die from a drone falling on me at Disney World please make sure I get a cool headstone at Haunted Mansion.
we will happily deposit your ashes in the ashtrays next to the haunted mansion smoking area. ;)

Dearly departed wdisney9000

The drone that fell was quite a trouncin'
"The reports of new leaks inside walt disney world, fell on him like a rock"

Longhairbear

It used to be low pressure sales when we bought our membership in 2003. But, later when VGC sales started...what a difference! They almost dragged us up the stairs to the sales office.

ParentsOf4

Having crunched the numbers (don't I always ;)), it's clear that corporate Disney has shifted from simply charging a premium for a brand name to stooping to the type of unscrupulous pricing tactics prevalent in the timeshare industry.

This is a recent development, only happening in the last few years.

The direct-from-Disney price at many "Classic" DVC resorts (e.g. Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Villas at the Wilderness Lodge) has increased by roughly 40% since 2012 while the starting price for the 2 new resorts (i.e. Villas at the Grand Floridian and Polynesian Villas and Bungalows) is at a crazy level.

Even worse, the starting price for the annual Maintenance Fees along with the points-per-night requirements at the 2 newest DVC resorts means that it will take at least decades for most DVC purchasers to reach the magical "break-even point"; the point at which DVC starts saving money.

Switch your stays to "lesser" Deluxe Resorts such Yacht & Beach Club, Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Wilderness Lodge, and most of you will never see any savings from a DVC purchased directly from Disney.

I normally avoid offering financial advice to strangers but DVC prices have gotten so out of hand that I feel no qualms about writing the following:

Do not buy DVC directly from Disney if your goal is to save money!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom