A Spirited Perfect Ten

Voice of Disney sanity

With all that said... My local town asked me to fly mine over a festival and film it from above but because it was little kids visiting santa and even though I'm fairly certain nothing would happen, I turned them down. I didn't want to be responsible in case of the .000001 chance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Same thing as a real plane or helicopter only way less injuries
A real plane or helicopter is regulated. You need a license and training to fly it, you have periodic inspections to ensure it's operating properly.
Btw I watched the video twice and never saw him fly over a single person let alone a crowded amusement park
Watch it again. It starts out by flying over the bus stop area. At least a half dozen buses pulling through and dropping off visitors. You can see people walking near the buses. There are also construction workers. Maybe they all have hard hats, but it could still cause damage.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Golden Globes Musings:

Boy, does Bob Iger look miserable everytime the camera pans to him. And poor Meryl, you think she's thrilled to have him on one side?

Leslie and Julie always look like the true TV network power couple. Of course, you'd have a hard time arguing with his track record even if I watch far fewer CBS shows than any other network.

Did NBC decide to start using fewer cameramen for the show or is it the most poorly directed Globes this century?

I give Tina and Amy credit for those Cosby jokes.

Is it wrong for me to think George Clooney isn't as amazing as most find him? I did enjoy his stint on The Facts of Life in the mid-80s.

So with Transparent and Tambor winning, will folks be talking about how Amazon is the future of TV tomorrow (see: past years and everything from HBO to Netflix!)?

To my friends dining at 'Ohana earlier tonight, sorry I wasn't able to join you. There will be more chances down the road.

So, today's disaster of the day: a waterfall pouring out of the ceiling of my garage. Whatever ...

PhotoDave219

I'm not advocating for the guy although I enjoyed the video. I'm nearly pointing out that this is not as dangerous as the guy flying real planes over avatar to get pictures and I'm just saying this is not as dangerous as most of you think so its not worth US making a big deal about. If I were disney I would stop him for a variety of reasons including liability

Well several of his videos are violating the airspace it goes from grounds of 3000 feet. It's now a permanent flight restriction… Also includes drones. We discussed that a few months ago, can't remember if you were in that thread or not.

It's not insanely dangerous however based on what I've seen him produce, I would not be comfortable with his drone above me. His flying does not appear to be proficient enough for me to feel safe.

PhotoDave219

By the way the built in GPS on this won't allow you to fly it into no fly zones (airports, military bases, over government buildings) Places where the FAA says you can't fly. Not where private companies don't want you to go. Apparently WDW isn't a no fly zone

You're 100% wrong there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CAwQFjAA&url=http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-disney-airspace-20141110-story.html#page=1&ei=FD6zVOaQIsqLyASrhIHwBg&usg=AFQjCNGqq2BM-KSZT3ovczTisdv7iKuknw&sig2=EYYO_1fMKtFlSgRCh6X-zA

Edit: This should be a link to the PDF of NOTAM 4/3634 dated 27 October 2014 from the FAA. It is designated as "National Defense Airspace"

https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/createNotamPdf?download=true&transactionid=38922603

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Money talks and Disney has plenty.
Getting them to spend it is another matter entirely.

It is ridiculous how little Disney has spent under Iger as @ParentsOf4 has pointed out countless times on this site.

When it comes to WDW ... well, there's largely been New Fantasyland (a project added ONLY to add lost capacity back as average guest experiences had fallen below that MAGICal nine a day level) and MM+/NGE. Yes, now we finally have movement on Pandora and soon will at Studios.

But he has done so very little, even compared with Eisner's final days.

As a matter of fact, I found out recently that TSMM was actually approved just before MDE left the company yet that one always goes into Iger's very meager column of accomplishments/additions.

Again, you may not like Michael (and I have no intention of arguing his merits again), but in his final few years WDW got EE ... and Soarin ... and LMA ... and Mission Space ... and PhilharMagic ... and Wishes ... just off the top of my head.

With Iger, you have to immediately credit him for timeshares and armbands to make it seem as if he's actually done anything for WDW during a nine-year tenure. That's not only absurd. It's obscene when you look at both the history and heritage of the company and property, but also the record profits and never-higher costs to the visitor.

Think about that.

RSoxNo1

Spirited Golden Globes Musings:

Boy, does Bob Iger look miserable everytime the camera pans to him. And poor Meryl, you think she's thrilled to have him on one side?

Leslie and Julie always look like the true TV network power couple. Of course, you'd have a hard time arguing with his track record even if I watch far fewer CBS shows than any other network.

Did NBC decide to start using fewer cameramen for the show or is it the most poorly directed Globes this century?

I give Tina and Amy credit for those Cosby jokes.

Is it wrong for me to think George Clooney isn't as amazing as most find him? I did enjoy his stint on The Facts of Life in the mid-80s.

So with Transparent and Tambor winning, will folks be talking about how Amazon is the future of TV tomorrow (see: past years and everything from HBO to Netflix!)?

To my friends dining at 'Ohana earlier tonight, sorry I wasn't able to join you. There will be more chances down the road.

So, today's disaster of the day: a waterfall pouring out of the ceiling of my garage. Whatever ...
Have we ruled out the possibility that Bob Iger was hired as a seat filler?

lazyboy97o

FoxxFur has a wonderful post on her view of 2014.

I did not have a "crisis of faith" in 2014 because my experiences in the 90s told me to expect the worst to begin with. But I'm also too entrenched now to entirely stop caring. Yes, it's harder and harder for me to enjoy a lot of stuff I once did, but it's not as if I don't enjoy myself as fully as possible when I do commit to go there. But unlike when I was a vacationer, that commitment now comes bound in with an ideology. I'm enough of a fan to keep caring and too much of a fan to accept lousy choices.
To take this number out of the squirrelly, complex, fluctuating-discount-ridden monetary minefield of Walt Disney World and put it in real world terms, I looked up 25 top hotels in the country, and overall found that their average asking price topped out around $300 a night. For the price of one night in the funky Polynesian I could stay two nights at the Waldorf-Astoria on Park Avenue in New York. Prices for Four Seasons hotels in places like Atlanta and Colorado came nearer to the Walt Disney World price range, but the only the mega hotels in the tourist section of Hawaii matched or exceeded the sticker value Disney places on their hotels. And for your money you're not getting a Waldorf-Astoria, you're getting a Disney hotel where the restaurants serve chicken tenders and the lobby is filled with shrieking children.

So let's forget for a moment about Disney, or Disney history, or Walt Disney World, or DVC, about all this nonsense political stuff we get caught up in as Disney nerds. We're talking about a hotel that is pricing itself amongst and often above the finest hotels in the country that still couldn't justify properly and respectfully replacing its signature visual element. This is an embarrassment.
I emerged on the other side of 2014 feeling like a cartoon character after a bomb goes off and everyone's all covered in soot. Having been through the worst of the 90s, I was still not prepared for things to get quite so bad. The Disney Internet, meanwhile, has been at peak toxicity for over a year running. The amount of screaming is very high and the amount of useful discourse is very very low. If you can't go online to mourn with your fellow fans without being abused and attacked, where is there to go? The shrieking in certain quarters, meanwhile, has become so loud and fevered to resemble either desperation or censure. Some Walt Disney World fans it seems would rather shout you down that understand you, as if all fans are created equal or as if likes and dislikes aren't some intensely personal particular reaction.
Passport 2 Dreams - Notes on a Time That Was Not Happy

WDW1974

Original Poster
Perhaps a blessing in disguise, makes for good timing around the Iron Man Experience and a peek over the wall at that yet to be revealed HKDL E-ticket. ;) ;)

TSMM will come before the new E-Ticket.

I'm not sure at this point how enticing openings are (especially if you aren't local to the area). I had a much more pleasant time visiting Diagon Alley the month after it opened than I'd likely have ever had at opening. I understand the draw and the excitement Day one of a new park, but the trade off is a less "buggy" and much less busy experience with only a minor delay.

Openings are very important to me. I've done two in FL and missed a third by a week and one in CA. I wanted to go to the opening of both parks in Paris, but ultimately made stupid excuses to not go.

I certainly agree with you about crowds. When taking Angie around Diagon Alley and walking onto Gringotts multiple times and the HE (and everything else in both parks!), thinking about people waiting hour upon hour for one ride just seemed (and seems) so thoroughly insane.

But I have never done a castle park's opening and I am not sure we'll see another one for decades. And China is VERY important to me. So, I'll deal with crowds. ... and if I could handle living/working in Beijing during the Olympics, I'm sure I'll be just fine this go around.

But frankly, I have two timeslots: Jan 2016 or May/June 2016, in which to go. As long as they get their act together to accommodate me, that's really all that matters. :D

Send Bob a note letting him know. But ... I am not really sure how much influence he truly has on what's going on over there.

Voice of Disney sanity

I didn't say there weren't peopl
A real plane or helicopter is regulated. You need a license and training to fly it, you have periodic inspections to ensure it's operating properly.

Watch it again. It starts out by flying over the bus stop area. At least a half dozen buses pulling through and dropping off visitors. You can see people walking near the buses. There are also construction workers. Maybe they all have hard hats, but it could still cause damage.
i didn't say there weren't any people on the ground. But the drone never flies directly over them. Having flown one of these for many hours, I understand the difference in depth perception and distance created by being 400+ feet in the air at that height 300 feet in distance can look like you're close.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not holding breath but...Jurassic Park jeep ride?! Perish the thought!

No comment whatsoever!!!

Also, could you lend an ear to the accuracy of those concept maps released last fall? If they're not just idealizations then there are already glaring similarities to their previous parks and properties:

universal-studios-beijing-concept.jpg

Early art is just that.

Park/resort is in the earliest stages of development planning. In other words, I wouldn't put much stock in what you see above beyond general layout.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom