A Spirited Perfect Ten

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yes you are right. These things aren't as dangerous as people that have never flown one think. It is flown via computer and GPS. if it loses its signal it returns to where it took off from. If you pull the stick left it flawlessly flies left. If you take the controller and smash it on the ground the drone hovers in place and returns to where it took off. If the power gets low it signals an alarm and will return to the takeoff point. I had absolutely no remote flying craft training when I got mine and yet I immediately flew it all over the place. You really have to be stupid to crash one.
What happens if it loses all power or has a complete electronics failure as it's over a crowded space?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes you are right. These things aren't as dangerous as people that have never flown one think. It is flown via computer and GPS. if it loses its signal it returns to where it took off from. If you pull the stick left it flawlessly flies left. If you take the controller and smash it on the ground the drone hovers in place and returns to where it took off. If the power gets low it signals an alarm and will return to the takeoff point. I had absolutely no remote flying craft training when I got mine and yet I immediately flew it all over the place. You really have to be stupid to crash one.
I see no evidence to suggest this guy isn't stupid.:cool:

Clamman73

Really though, isn't security there an illusion? The bag checks are looking for knives and guns, maybe blunt objects. I'm positive pocket knives still make it in as well as small handguns. Circumventing security probably happens a lot more than you would think.
Granted, but if someone has a way in with something that a drone could potentially carry with a zero percentage security check, I don't think Disney can let this fly. (No pun intended).

PhotoDave219

That's not the point.

Liability is.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That's not the point.

Liability is.
I'll take the risk. "Death by rogue drone" sounds cooler than most common causes anyway.

(In all honesty it's extremely dangerous and if that drone came near my loved ones I'd go all Liam Neeson from 'Taken' on it, and it's operator - ...not "Qui Gon Jin" Liam Neeson because he would be to nice, --and yes, this is too many words to put in parentheses but the Cowboys lost and Ive had a few World Showcase style beverages)

tigger1968

Disney is missing a golden opportunity here. Some amateur is flying a drone over their parks and drawing a bunch of attention. Why doesn't Disney do the same thing on the Disney Parks Blog? Have a periodic flyover the new construction projects and post the videos for all to see. They could do it before regular park hours and in a safe manner so nobody would be at risk and they could give fans what they actually want. Seems like a quick, cheap and easy way to increase clicks on their site.

My understanding is that commercial drone use is, with a few exceptions, still banned by the FAA. I think they made some exceptions for filmmaking or television, but with a lot of hoops to jump through.

relots

Bart: Fast pass can't solve everything

Chief Wiggum: Spoken like a kid who has never lived in a world before FastPass

Is this two or three weeks in a row that the Simpsons have cracked a FastPass and or disney related joke? Also, with the angle shown, it looked like Chief Wiggum has blue mouse ears.
I was about to make a new thread about how The Simpsons have been making continuous jokes and jabs towards Disney. Especially tonight's episode with "Soarin' Over Springfield" really looked similar to the one at Disney. Looks like someone from the Simpsons staff made a recent trip to Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I see no evidence to suggest that he is.

Everyone takes a calculated risk by walking outside or driving on the highway.
I don't know anything else about this guy. I would say that flying this thing illegally over a crowded theme park would qualify as the evidence you are looking for. At best when he gets caught he gets a lifetime ban. There may be some additional fines or penalties too.

tigger1968

Don't? Like? Ribs?
:jawdrop:

I fear that may prohibit you from actually ever visiting us here at the Manor. The ceremonial first meal is (by law) always Rendezvous ribs.

Good day to you, sir.

Good stuff. But I have to mention that Big Bob Gibson is just a short, three hour drive from there... :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My understanding is that commercial drone use is, with a few exceptions, still banned by the FAA. I think they made some exceptions for filmmaking or television, but with a lot of hoops to jump through.
They could use a regular helicopter too if the drones aren't legal. I don't know much about the specific laws. I did a quick web search and there is mention of a new set of FAA rules being released soon so things may change. Right now the exception seems to only apply to people flying these things as a hobby but the rules require that you follow a set of existing hobby association rules like not flying carelessly or recklessly, avoiding prohibited areas, staying below 400 feet, keeping clear of manned aircraft and not flying directly over unprotected people.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
What happens if it loses all power or has a complete electronics failure as it's over a crowded space?

The decent ones compute the necessary power with some leeway to return to "home" which is the GPS location it took off from.

Unless there is a catastrophic failure, a battery fire or otherwise, they tend to be very stable and extremely easy to fly. The wiring was sized much larger than the motors would ever need to keep resistance down and reduce the chances of a battery/electrical failure.

A coworker built one complete with camera fumble and downlink video, I could fly it via a pair of video goggles with very little guidance. During testing we ran it with two of the six motors physically disconnected to make sure it would fly with two motor failures, even with GoPro 4, fumble and landing gear. His had two separate battery packs, one auxiliary the primary just in case the primary failed. His setup was pricy, at least $3000 though and built by had and kits to make sure both the drone and anyone around remained safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom