A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhilharMagician

The norm in late 2001 @ JFK airport was military checking everyone while carrying automatic weapons in the airport. It was tough to not bring my coffee into the airport without someone sticking something into it to make sure I wasn't hiding a bomb in my coffee.

I hope things clear up in France soon as I wish this on nobody.

Donald Razorduck

I think Disney might be able to get a few, at least on loan, for DAK.

But I have never heard it being a priority or even viewed as a big 'get' ... I asked Dr. Beth Stevens about it a few times years ago and got very nonchalant 'that would be nice' type responses.

They are all on loan, Memphis got it's Panda's due to Sen Sasser's being a long time ambassador and financial backing from FedEx. It was a ten year deal, It was renewed last year for another ten years but the Chinese were pleased with Memphis and cut the "rent" in half. It was an upcharge when it first opened but it's been just a regular exhibit for a while. All Panda's are supposedly part of breeding programs, meaning they are loaned out in pairs.

courtyard.jpg

356039159_6f64904533_z.jpg

coolbeans14

Was the norm back in 1998- guards with AK-47s at the Eiffel Tower.

There seems to always have been armed soldiers and police in Paris and DLP. The worrying trend is they've become more noticeable in the UK (specifically windsor). Up until recently you would see them at the castle gate and the odd bomb dog, but I have noticed more armed police, and this is even before the awful attacks this week. I think another attack in Paris and UK is now a when, not if. Just a truly upsetting thought.

On a cheerier note, you're all forgetting James camerons's greatest work... Piranha ;)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I stand corrected. ;) Perhaps I just should have said military grade assault weapon that looked scary?

And those ARE assault weapons the very definition of which includes fully automatic fire. However 'scary military weapon' works for common usage :)

BTW in today's world its not a bad idea to familiarize oneself with the outlines of the common military/police weapons used in countries you are visiting as the 'wrong' weapon in a policeman's or soldier's hands is a sign of something VERY wrong and a sign that you should vacate the location immediately if not sooner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom