A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On my recent Disney Dream cruise, they had a part where they wanted people to tell their favorite "DVC memories" or why they joined. One guy took the mic nd slammed DVC about how much points have gone up and why don't they give free annual passes anymore. The DVC hosts were shocked to say the least.

Oooo wish I was there to see that

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't? Like? Ribs?
:jawdrop:

I fear that may prohibit you from actually ever visiting us here at the Manor. The ceremonial first meal is (by law) always Rendezvous ribs.

Good day to you, sir.

Who does not like ribs, my drycleaner when they have to remove the stains...

mahnamahna101

Frozen's biggest problem is the real hardcore target audience who buy all the merch and pay the big bucks are the five to seven year olds who are also the quickest to move on from a big craze. Their younger siblings will probably pick it up and keep the momentum, but after that it's yesterday's news for a generation. I think there'll be a lot of interest in 2015, but by the time the ride opens it won't be that much more popular than High School Musical is today.
Just like those who moved on from Snow White... and Cinderella... and Sleeping Beauty... and The Little Mermaid... and Beauty and the Beast... and Aladdin... and The Lion King. Kids definitely don't care about those ;)

If there's anything to know about Disney fairytales, it's that the well-done ones stay popular for decades. They get rewatched on movie days at school. They get watched over and over at home. Kids quote them for months. And then when they grow up, they develop nostalgia for those films they loved growing up. And proceed to introduce these films to their kids. I have no doubt the same will happen with Frozen

Frozen is probably going to be the most timeless of any animated film released between 2011-2020. It's already guaranteed to be more popular than High School Musical for the rest of its existence, since you know... grown men, grown woman, teenage guys, little boys, old people generally have good things to say about Frozen.

Only girls between 8-14 ever truly loved High School Musical. I think Frozen will be closer to SpongeBob, Scooby-Doo and the Disney classics in terms of staying power than Hannah Montana or HSM.

Quinnmac000

Just like those who moved on from Snow White... and Cinderella... and Sleeping Beauty... and The Little Mermaid... and Beauty and the Beast... and Aladdin... and The Lion King. Kids definitely don't care about those ;)

If there's anything to know about Disney fairytales, it's that the well-done ones stay popular for decades. They get rewatched on movie days at school. They get watched over and over at home. Kids quote them for months. And then when they grow up, they develop nostalgia for those films they loved growing up. And proceed to introduce these films to their kids. I have no doubt the same will happen with Frozen

Frozen is probably going to be the most timeless of any animated film released between 2011-2020. It's already guaranteed to be more popular than High School Musical for the rest of its existence, since you know... grown men, grown woman, teenage guys, little boys, old people generally have good things to say about Frozen.

Only girls between 8-14 ever truly loved High School Musical. I think Frozen will be closer to SpongeBob, Scooby-Doo and the Disney classics in terms of staying power than Hannah Montana or HSM.

Frozen is far from a Classic. The fact when people even mention Frozen you get audible groans and people walking out from the Winter version of WOC due to Frozen is telling. Frozen overplayed its card and over stayed its welcome. Little kids may love it to death but those same parents are tired of it unlike Lion King, Aladdin, and the Little Mermaid where it wasn't lets drown you in this movie with over promotion and bad music covers on youtube.

Avatar was the best selling movie....does that make it a classic? no. It doesn't.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Frozen is far from a Classic. The fact when people even mention Frozen you get audible groans and people walking out from the Winter version of WOC due to Frozen is telling. Frozen overplayed its card and over stayed its welcome. Little kids may love it to death but those same parents are tired of it unlike Lion King, Aladdin, and the Little Mermaid where it wasn't lets drown you in this movie with over promotion and bad music covers on youtube.

Avatar was the best selling movie....does that make it a classic? no. It doesn't.

When my daughter was young we watched BatB, LMA and LK so often j began to really dislike them, we wore out the VHs tapes multiple times but she loved them. Today her favorite is LM and was really upset that WDW had no real LK merchandise because it is a classic.

My point, time will tell.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's apples to oranges. There are tons of places in the world that have much cheaper rooms than WDW. Compared to other WDW prices it's about in line. A little over 3Xs the rate for a studio room. You get 2 bedrooms so it's like renting 2 studios. In addition you get a private pool, full kitchen and unobstructed views of MK and wishes making up for the extra cost. The prices at WDW are absolutely insane. These are too, but are about what I would have expected from WDW.

Good points. My issue is the price/value equation that being said over the holiday's I was in a BLT Grand Villa, That being said I am one of the 'founding members' of BLT and got my points at $95 which I thought was a bit high relative to my other points but having a spot on the monorail for younger and older relatives was 'worth it'.

Being a workaholic DVC forces me to take vacations and it offers many of the advantages of a second home without the headaches/

I also travel extensively for business and I've frequently stayed in truly high end rooms and my issue with Disney's pricing is they do not offer the services which usually accompany these types of rooms, ie 24 hour room service, laundry service a personal concierge and town car service. (depending on the hotel some are charged extra some included with room). My beef with Disney is they charge 5 star prices yet deliver 2 star amenities and service and it was not ALWAYS like that. At one time Disney hotels were SOLID three star hotels at a modest location premium.

The Poly's current pricing in both points and cash are totally out of touch with reality, Will people stay at the Poly at this price point sure they will just like they will buy iPhones for 25K which some jeweler has added diamonds and Svarovski crystals to.

Or this 18Kt Gold iPhone http://www.falconluxury.com/#!shop/cfvg

I just think there is something wrong when a company begins to market on the basis of Barnum's Observation ie "There is a sucker born every minute".

RSoxNo1

And what's wrong with that? John Lasseter is the closest thing to a Walt that exists at TWDC and he's the only one in a position of considerable power. I get that many fanbois have issues with John favoring his creations, but they'd do the same **** thing in his shoes. He also happens to be right as Pixar properties have been immense successes across all business units.

I absolutely love hanging out in the cutest little town in Carburetor County. The execution is **** near perfect.
Agreed, the execution is excellent, but you also know that if it wasn't for John threatening to leave, the execution wouldn't have been nearly as good.

71jason

I legitimately don't understand that pricing. For comparison, the Little Palm Island resort in the Keys, which is an ultra-luxurious resort on a private island, can be had for $1000-1100/night during some times of the year.

I mean, a bungalow overlooking the dredged-up Seven Seas Lagoon costs twice that much?

My honest reaction to that wouldn't get past the filter here.

TDO is targeting a microcosm of their audience--the hard core "foamers" for lack of a less incendiary term. There is a small percentage of the fan population who only want to do things if they are Disney--think Dopey marathoners this weekend who wouldn't dream of running in Boston or NYC or even Cocoa Beach. Guests who would never go to the Keys, let alone the real South Seas, even tho it could be done cheaper than a bungalow over dirty water you can't even swim in.

South Park, of all shows, had a an episode on this last year. Specifically about "freemium" games and how the majority of money is made from a tiny sliver of the market made up of addicts--comparable to the alcohol market. This is the Mouse catering to addicts. They don't expect 99% of guests to seriously consider staying here.

asianway

TDO is targeting a microcosm of their audience--the hard core "foamers" for lack of a less incendiary term. There is a small percentage of the fan population who only want to do things if they are Disney--think Dopey marathoners this weekend who wouldn't dream of running in Boston or NYC or even Cocoa Beach. Guests who would never go to the Keys, let alone the real South Seas, even tho it could be done cheaper than a bungalow over dirty water you can't even swim in.

South Park, of all shows, had a an episode on this last year. Specifically about "freemium" games and how the majority of money is made from a tiny sliver of the market made up of addicts--comparable to the alcohol market. This is the Mouse catering to addicts. They don't expect 99% of guests to seriously consider staying here.
You are too sane to be in this community

bhg469

You are too sane to be in this community

I often wonder why I still comment. Maybe I'm a narcissist and love to see my "likes". I sure don't trust wdw anymore that's for sure..

I did just find out that I'm 95% locked in for my annual mlb spring training trip which will end up giving me a possible whole day off on March first in a city that is a short 35 minute drive to wdw. Might just stay on i4 for the extra 10 minutes and do a solo trip to the other guys.

PhotoDave219

I really do miss my empty parks of 10 years ago. I miss what this company was. But I sure as heck do not miss sitting in traffic at the toll plaza.

Of course I say that as I'm sitting in traffic at the toll plaza…

Spirit alluded to charities and run Disney. Agree with him completely. I think Disney should be giving a percentage to make a wish or give kids the world or any of those places. Unfortunately it's become yet another giant profit center… firstly I'm waiting for something like the Disney Marathon series where you run through every single park over the course of six months to a year.

We've also discussed Star Wars to death. At this rate? You may see it on a ship before you see it anywhere else.

Tim really put the discussion of capital expenditures and expansion more eloquently than myself are several others can. This company is just allergic to spending money and that's all there is to it. Capital expenditures cut into the profit margins.

Cesar R M

If i'm paying $2100 a night for a bungalow that sleeps EIGHT, i'm bringing a bunch of friends and throwing a party.

A couples retreat has it's place, maybe even the Grand Floridian, but not an 8-person Bungalow at $2100/night... unless you are just filthy rich.
as I said in the other thread.. filthy rich people would prefer something that is not a silly bungalow.
They would go to four season and Waldorf Astoria (both of which have butlers and concierge)

Cesar R M

more timeless...
zufLMZS.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

As to the runDisney events, Yes Disney should devote some fraction to charity but as to the Boston and NYC and even Cocoa Beach those are limited to a fairly elite set of marathoner's as they all require qualification at a fairly fast pace.

The Disney Marathons are more 'fun runs' for Disney fans which have FAR less stringent requirements and the goal is not your time but simply finishing as most named Marathons are far more competitive - think of them as the 'Planet Fitness' of Marathon's - with the rest being 'I pick up heavy weights and put them down' to borrow from one of PF's ads.

The average Disney fanboi could not even THINK of even doing the 5K.

Last edited:

asianway

I really do miss my empty parks of 10 years ago. I miss what this company was. But I sure as heck do not miss sitting in traffic at the toll plaza.

Of course I say that as I'm sitting in traffic at the toll plaza…

Spirit alluded to charities and run Disney. Agree with him completely. I think Disney should be giving a percentage to make a wish or give kids the world or any of those places. Unfortunately it's become yet another giant profit center… firstly I'm waiting for something like the Disney Marathon series where you run through every single park over the course of six months to a year.

We've also discussed Star Wars to death. At this rate? You may see it on a ship before you see it anywhere else.

Tim really put the discussion of capital expenditures and expansion more eloquently than myself are several others can. This company is just allergic to spending money and that's all there is to it. Capital expenditures cut into the profit margins.
Disneyland has a 5k walkathon through the parks every October to benefit the children's hospital of Orange County. They have in the past hosted the oc AIDS and heart walks as well. They donate the park for the morning and supply all the on course entertainment.

I'm actually surprised Meg never pulled the plug

bhg469

Disneyland has a 5k walkathon through the parks every October to benefit the children's hospital of Orange County. They have in the past hosted the oc AIDS and heart walks as well. They donate the park for the morning and supply all the on course entertainment.

I'm actually surprised Meg never pulled the plug
This would take off huge in Orlando would it not? Obviously they don't have to use MK so they don't lose tons of profit but epcot would be great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom