A Spirited Perfect Ten

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good points. My issue is the price/value equation that being said over the holiday's I was in a BLT Grand Villa, That being said I am one of the 'founding members' of BLT and got my points at $95 which I thought was a bit high relative to my other points but having a spot on the monorail for younger and older relatives was 'worth it'.

Being a workaholic DVC forces me to take vacations and it offers many of the advantages of a second home without the headaches/

I also travel extensively for business and I've frequently stayed in truly high end rooms and my issue with Disney's pricing is they do not offer the services which usually accompany these types of rooms, ie 24 hour room service, laundry service a personal concierge and town car service. (depending on the hotel some are charged extra some included with room). My beef with Disney is they charge 5 star prices yet deliver 2 star amenities and service and it was not ALWAYS like that. At one time Disney hotels were SOLID three star hotels at a modest location premium.

The Poly's current pricing in both points and cash are totally out of touch with reality, Will people stay at the Poly at this price point sure they will just like they will buy iPhones for 25K which some jeweler has added diamonds and Svarovski crystals to.

Or this 18Kt Gold iPhone http://www.falconluxury.com/#!shop/cfvg

I just think there is something wrong when a company begins to market on the basis of Barnum's Observation ie "There is a sucker born every minute".
The whole debate around Disney being "overpriced" and "not worth the money" and "declining in service" has been well established. I'm not denying it or disputing it.

It's just my opinion that these particular bungalows are not really overpriced compared to other rooms at WDW. I guess I'm just surprised to see this much shock at the prices. Do people really think $700 a night for a studio room at the Poly is actually a decent deal? IMHO if you look at this from a pure value perspective if I was visiting with another couple, $2,000 for a bungalow is a better value than paying $1,400 for 2 studios. For $300 a night more per couple you get the extra benefit of a full kitchen, living room and deck with a private pool. If they priced the bungalows at $1,500 instead of $2,000 a night would that be less shocking? Then they would practically be the same price as 2 studios.

I think with hotel rooms you pay for services and amenities, but just as important is location and availability. I was in Houston over the summer for work. There was some Microsoft conference in town that week so my crappy hotel room at the Hyatt was $750 a night. Standard room, none of the amenities you would get from a 5 star hotel and definitely not as nice as the studio rooms in that picture at the Poly. Supply and demand sets the price. I needed a room and I didn't feel like renting a car and staying out by the airport so I paid it. I think that's what happens with Disney too. You aren't paying $700 a night because it's a 5 star spa resort. You are paying that because you want to be at WDW.

Mouse_Trap

The terrorist attacks in Paris (cowardly, disgusting, vile etc) could present an issue for DLP if France remains under the gun of evil Muslim fundamentalists. Immigration is a huge issue on the continent and France has a large population of angry, unemployed, young Muslim men. Ultimately, the strength of the dollar vs. Euro now ($1.19) and the economic issues in France as well as Spain, Portugal and Italy are all issues DLP can weather just fine. Machine gun battles with insane young terrorists isn't.

Agreed.

No one has mentioned it yet but it's being reported that DLP and one of the hotels were evacuated earlier today.
They have also have heavily armed soldiers on patrol inside the gates.

Neither is going to going help attendance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gs-fear-fresh-terror-attacks-grips-Paris.html

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agreed.

No one has mentioned it yet but it's being reported that DLP and one of the hotels were evacuated earlier today.
They have also have heavily armed soldiers on patrol inside the gates.

Neither is going to going help attendance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gs-fear-fresh-terror-attacks-grips-Paris.html

Oh no - people who would attack innocent families and children belong in the 7'th ring of hell (Dante's The Inferno) and as my DFIL would say it's up to the 'Corps to arrange the meeting (Yes he's a Marine).

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

mahnamahna101

more timeless...
zufLMZS.gif
I was just saying it's ridiculous to think a critically acclaimed Disney fairy-tale that's become a phenom won't stand the test of time to some degree. It's idiotic to compare it to a tween made-for-TV musical. If parents have to choose between Frozen and HSM, it's no question what they'll pick.

Frozen isn't going away. Cars didn't. Finding Nemo didn't. Toy Story didn't. None of the early Renaissance films did. I'm fully expecting kids to watch Frozen over and over just as it was with the Disney classics.

Frozen is far from a Classic. The fact when people even mention Frozen you get audible groans and people walking out from the Winter version of WOC due to Frozen is telling. Frozen overplayed its card and over stayed its welcome. Little kids may love it to death but those same parents are tired of it unlike Lion King, Aladdin, and the Little Mermaid where it wasn't lets drown you in this movie with over promotion and bad music covers on youtube.

Avatar was the best selling movie....does that make it a classic? no. It doesn't.
There's some differences between Avatar and Frozen.

Frozen's got a compelling story and solid soundtrack. Avatar's got one-dimensional characters, a bland story and hackneyed environmentalist message

Frozen's captured the imagination of kids and teens. Avatar... well it had pretty colors lol.

Frozen's made by Disney - the king of timeless IPs. Avatar's... well James Cameron isn't known for timelessness.

People may be sick of Frozen now, but you're crazy if you don't think parents have gone through periods of despising Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, or the Renaissance films. They did - the only difference is that social media hasn't always been there to document loathing of Disney films. The parades and events for Aladdin and Lion King and other films back in the day probably irritated parents who were sick of hearing their kids talk about them.

There's always been parents who hate Disney. But the kids today will have some nostalgia for Frozen. "Let it Go" will continue to be an anthem for girls singing in the shower everywhere, just like "Part of Your World" has become.

I don't see people completely forgetting about Frozen the way they have about Avatar. Over a year later, no one was talking about Avatar. Over a year later, people still talk about Frozen.

Nubs70

Oh no - people who would attack innocent families and children belong in the 7'th ring of hell (Dante's The Inferno) and as my DFIL would say it's up to the 'Corps to arrange the meeting (Yes he's a Marine).
Which is why I am surprised an event of this nature has not happened yet at a theme park. While WDW would be a difficult target for sustained mayhem, a location like Cedar Point is a prime location with the restricted causeway access a peninsula local.

Who wants to build that park in Egypt???

michmousefan

The only park hat has felt busy to me in December was MK. I absolutely loved Epcot on the cold nights; they were empty.
Was at Epcot a few nights the first week of December, and while waits weren't bad for much of anything the crowd level seemed to still be high -- I'm guessing it was inflated due to the Processional and the staggeringly large phalanx of scooters that it attracts. Is that due to locals coming for the the show and using their Epcot After 4 passes?

It was the first time our group noticed that the scooter brigade really impeded our getting from point A to B and C, etc.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disneyland has a 5k walkathon through the parks every October to benefit the children's hospital of Orange County. They have in the past hosted the oc AIDS and heart walks as well. They donate the park for the morning and supply all the on course entertainment.

I'm actually surprised Meg never pulled the plug

I'm not the local press would have been all over TDA - and if there is anything which TWDC hates more than spending money on P&R it's bad press.

gwhb75

Understatement of the thread.

-PREMiERdrum, who queued up for 2.5 hrs in the early '90s to see two black and white balls of fuzz sleeping the back of their enclosure in CBus.
I remember years ago the Toronto zoo had some Pandas on loan, and one little kid who had waited in line for a while walked up to the enclosure, looked in, and said "awwwwww.... they're dead".

WildcatDen

So long as I don't get stuck with the tab, I'm open to it. But I have spent time with all the individuals in question except for MAGICal Steve. I hope we rectify that some time ...you just have to realize that @Lee is a hillbilly with questionable taste in TV, but excellent taste in women and a newly built mansion ...and that @marni1971 can rattle off all the specs of the new RoE lasers ... as well as any laser ever used at WDW since the 70s and explain how the turntable in the original Journey Into Imagination worked and draw it up on a cocktail napkin... and that @whylightbulb is a very old 150 watt bulb that has superhuman powers and is being hunted down by the green police who want to replace him with a crappy LED. And me ... well, I'm just bringing booty back by rockin the jorts!
Sounds like a plan. As far as hillbilly, as the name suggests, I am originally from Kentucky. . . the trick will be getting Mr Ruby to comp the dinner. Maybe the star power will be enough?

lazyboy97o

bhg469

Soldiers armed with rifles around Paris seemed like a normal sight to me, but I've also only been a few times.
With all that is happening there I would imagine they are being ultra cautious. I cannot fault anyone for taking any precautions necessary to ensure safety. They aren't protecting themselves from an army so there are no warnings or rules.

BrerJon

Was at Epcot a few nights the first week of December, and while waits weren't bad for much of anything the crowd level seemed to still be high -- I'm guessing it was inflated due to the Processional and the staggeringly large phalanx of scooters that it attracts.

Crowds always feel higher now because Fastpass+ has made people wait outside on the pathways, when previously they'd be stuck in a line inside a show building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom