A Spirited Perfect Ten

Quinnmac000

Sure. I would expect the twitter buzz from an invitation only screening to generally be positive. The good news is that very little, if any, negativity is out there. The reviews this week will give us a better idea once they starting coming out

That said, I don't recall Episode 1 having that much critical acclaim. It has a 56% (rotten) ranking on rottentomatoes which is based on contemporary reviews and from what I recall, there was some pretty substantial disappointment early in the run.

Roger Ebert gave it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars and was the first media review for the Phantom Menace....which is why I'm strongly taking the low expectations route with this film.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-1999

Phil12

wouldnt creating a new thread make things WORSE? since they will be indexed exactly as is in google and other search engines.
I dont think Jim would have loved to see his jail info on the first line of Google when searching "wdw jim hill".
Publicity is good. And speaking of gossip, I'm still waiting for Willow Bay to be removed as the Director of the Annenberg School of Journalism at the University of Southern California.

TalkingHead

Not being a buzzkill but history has shown a trend of highly hyped films initial reactions are its fantastic then secondary reactions are it was meh. Dark Knight Rises, the Hobbit, and Phantom Menace are good examples of it.

Add Indiana Jones and that Crystal Skull travesty to the list, too. It managed to get certified "Fresh" at RT, and I think it's even worse than Phantom Menace!

Nemo14

Star wars is all i see on social media right now.... Including Instagram :(
No problem - @PhotoDave219 can handle it.
David-Ball-blindfolded.jpg

tokengator

It seems like most of you forgot what happened with Phantom Menace where it got super high critical acclaim when it first came out and then once nostalgia wore off; people realized it wasn't that great. These initial reactions seem way too fan boy hype for my tastes especially when articles are coming out calling the film Best Picture Nominee potential for the Oscars.

Not being a buzzkill but history has shown a trend of highly hyped films initial reactions are its fantastic then secondary reactions are it was meh. Dark Knight Rises, the Hobbit, and Phantom Menace are good examples of it.

I don't recall it being like this at all. Phantom menace was absolutely terrible and hard to sugarcoat, but yes some did manage to do it..but i feel like that was more the exception than the rule

tokengator

Also social media is very different now than it was when Phantom menace came out

It is much harder to control the message today than it was then, even with an invite only event

*Q*

The whole alien thing was a mistake in my book.

I actually felt like they didn't take it far enough. There were rumors for a while that the movie would be a modern incarnation of and homage to the 1950s sci-fi B movies in the way that the first three movies were a modern incarnation of the 1930s adventure serials. I thought that was a fantastic idea, a great way to move the franchise forward. The first three had pretty well covered all of the classic adventure tropes, so this could have been a great way to keep things fresh.

MerlinTheGoat

Crystal Skull's biggest flaw to me (among its countless others) was that it was boring. Being boring and uninteresting is what I consider the most unforgivable crime a movie can commit in my book. Being incredibly stupid and embarrassing (arguably just as much as the Star Wars prequels) only made it more excruciating to sit through. And it didn't even have all the same problems as the Star Wars prequels, the acting wasn't that bad or anything, just everything else was...bleh.

I'll probably make some enemies here in saying this (no offence), but I was still at least still entertained by the Star Wars prequels. There was enough fun there that I wasn't bored. Of course they're massively disappointing compared to the original trilogy and very "bad" movies, don't get me wrong. But i still found them entertaining in a sense. I've come to laugh at some of the cringe-worthy acting and dialogue (granted at the movie's expense and not because it deserves it for being well written), and I actually legitimately enjoyed a lot of the action scenes. Ian McDiarmid in particular is a ton of fun (I highly suspect he was enjoying himself).

I don't know whether Force Awakens will match the original trilogy, i hope it's at least a considerably better film than the prequels. But most importantly, it must also be entertaining. Regardless of how good or bad they were, all six main Star Wars movies were entertaining (in different ways). Above all else I don't want to step out of a Star Wars movie bored.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom