A Spirited Perfect Ten

Garfield

Nonsense. Your anecdote has basically no relation to the topic at hand. You wouldn't hire someone who stole from you. Okay, I'll buy that, though, I know for a 100% fact that a lot of companies do give second chances. Now you want me to believe your company also controls the hiring processes of outside vendors? Let's say for example you work for 7-11. You can stop FritoLay from hiring some waterhead who stole from a 7-11? I don't think so.
Since you are obviously unable to believe anyone else's experiences, it is a complete waste of time answering you, but I will anyway. YES, the company I spent nearly 40 years working for, in many instances DID IN FACT, would not only stop someone from being hired, but once they found out that person worked for the vendor actually had them fired. That was my experience. If it's not your experience, fine, but don't tell me "Nonsense" and "I don't think so" when in fact you don't!

Arthur Wellesley

It seems like most of you forgot what happened with Phantom Menace where it got super high critical acclaim when it first came out and then once nostalgia wore off; people realized it wasn't that great. These initial reactions seem way too fan boy hype for my tastes especially when articles are coming out calling the film Best Picture Nominee potential for the Oscars.

Not being a buzzkill but history has shown a trend of highly hyped films initial reactions are its fantastic then secondary reactions are it was meh. Dark Knight Rises, the Hobbit, and Phantom Menace are good examples of it.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Jim, correct me if I'm wrong about this , but I had heard that you and Len were kicked out of a MyMagic+/NGE test for WDW executives at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in 2013 that the two of you had snuck into.
It's my understanding that this was more of a situation where they attempted to con the cast members at the front desk into thinking that they were part of the executive team being given magic bands for the test when one of the cast members recognized Jim. The jig was up and they didn't receive the test bands, just the standard room cards.

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission."

This is the mindset, kids. Doesn't matter that what you're attempting to do isn't kosher... just go for it. Feign ignorance and play the penitence card when you get caught. It's all about the reward of outsmarting the Mouse and getting something you're not supposed to acquire.

If Hill or any other Disney fan wishes to engage in this behavior, it's their call. If they believe the rewards outweigh the risks, nothing anyone here posts against it will dissuade them from the practice.

But that's the rub, isn't it? Hill isn't some teenaged snotnosed idiot fan. He's a professional journalist whom Disney has hired on occasion to promote their goods and services. And as a professional who does occasionally get compensation from TWDC for his offerings, why is he continuing to bite the hand that feeds him?

Why continue to behave like an entitled millennial frat boy? If Disney didn't extend an invite to the NGE test, why try to con your way into it? Why attempt to get innocent cast members involved in your deception, just because you wanted an exclusive first look at the new technology, albeit an unauthorized one? Why didn't you care about how your little scheme would possibly affect their jobs and future Disney careers? You know how the Mouse treats their employees. Look at the two lawsuits over the anti-poaching agreements. Even Federal labor laws don't matter to these people. So imagine how sympathetic they would be towards cast members being duped by the likes of you. I'm guessing, not very.

I don't know why you bother with this crap, Jim. You're a good writer and an excellent storyteller. You should be better than this. You can be better than this. Seriously. And you're freakin' beyond blessed that you haven't had more serious fallout from Burbank over stunts like this.

If the Disney left hand ever knew what the right hand was doing, if this were any other company smaller than the size of Saturn, you would have had your bum kicked to the curb, long ago. Be eternally grateful this holiday season that you've been able to do what you've done, even with your checkered past, for over two decades. Somebody up there must really like you. Don't ask me why.

Jim Hill

It's my understanding that this was more of a situation where they attempted to con the cast members at the front desk into thinking that they were part of the executive team being given magic bands for the test when one of the cast members recognized Jim. The jig was up and they didn't receive the test bands, just the standard room cards.

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission."

This is the mindset, kids. Doesn't matter that what you're attempting to do isn't kosher... just go for it. Feign ignorance and play the penitence card when you get caught. It's all about the reward of outsmarting the Mouse and getting something you're not supposed to acquire.

If Hill or any other Disney fan wishes to engage in this behavior, it's their call. If they believe the rewards outweigh the risks, nothing anyone here posts against it will dissuade them from the practice.

But that's the rub, isn't it? Hill isn't some teenaged snotnosed idiot fan. He's a professional journalist whom Disney has hired on occasion to promote their goods and services. And as a professional who does occasionally get compensation from TWDC for his offerings, why is he continuing to bite the hand that feeds him?

Why continue to behave like an entitled millennial frat boy? If Disney didn't extend an invite to the NGE test, why try to con your way into it? Why attempt to get innocent cast members involved in your deception, just because you wanted an exclusive first look at the new technology, albeit an unauthorized one? Why didn't you care about how your little scheme would possibly affect their jobs and future Disney careers? You know how the Mouse treats their employees. Look at the two lawsuits over the anti-poaching agreements. Even Federal labor laws don't matter to these people. So imagine how sympathetic they would be towards cast members being duped by the likes of you. I'm guessing, not very.

I don't know why you bother with this crap, Jim. You're a good writer and an excellent storyteller. You should be better than this. You can be better than this. Seriously. And you're freakin' beyond blessed that you haven't had more serious fallout from Burbank over stunts like this.

If the Disney left hand ever knew what the right hand was doing, if this were any other company smaller than the size of Saturn, you would have had your bum kicked to the curb, long ago. Be eternally grateful this holiday season that you've been able to do what you've done, even with your checkered past, for over two decades. Somebody up there must really like you. Don't ask me why.
Thanks for the kind words. But the incident that you describe above here never happened. Not to me, anyway. And I don't recall Len ever telling me a story about something like this happening to him.

I'm curious. Do you have a source for this particular story? If so, could you please send it along? I mean, I've written a number stories about the Magic Bands and My Magic Plus over the past four years or so. But honestly, BlueSkyDriveBy, I never attempted to weasel my way into an early test of this particular technology.

tokengator

I love illuminations but can I have a new show? It's 16 years old, it's able to get a drivers license.

Can we have a new show please?

I don't know the costs associated with the development of these shows, I can't imagine it being insane -- they should have a new night show and parade every 5 years, in my opinion. But WDW seems to settle into this "if it is isn't broken" combined with a being "just good enough" mentality that things tend to run their course many times over.

PhotoDave219

I don't know the costs associated with the development of these shows, I can't imagine it being insane -- they should have a new night show and parade every 5 years, in my opinion. But WDW seems to settle into this "if it is isn't broken" combined with a being "just good enough" mentality that things tend to run their course many times over.

Welcome to the ignore list....

the.dreamfinder

Hey Jim, since you're back, is it appropriate for you to insult Lee, a longtime member of this forum, as you have over the past couple of days? You have been less than forthright and honest about your past as well as ignoring fair questions which any ethical journalist worth their salt should be able to answer if they respect their readers. You smear Lee, who has been respectful and courteous and is a valued member of this community, and pretend what he has done in disclosing this information gives you the higher ground in this matter; it does not. We're trying to have an adult conversation about the Disney Company's relationship with social media and you continue to twist this as if it is a personal attack on your character; this isn't just about you.

Last edited:

tokengator

I was arguing? Giving my opinion that I would like to see a new show every 5 year is arguing? Lmao. Sure thing buddy.

SInce you obviously haven't yet please go ahead put me on ignore because...well I don't even know what say other than wow.

Bairstow

If you recall Lucas wanted a Indy movie with flying saucers, It could have been MUCH worse. It needed tighter editing and about 20 minutes less runtime. The motorcycle in the library while Indy was answering student questions was a lot of fun.

Well we DID get an Indy movie with flying saucers.
I actually think the movie would have been a lot better with MORE cheesy sci-fi silliness and the original title, "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars."
Then it becomes a fun genre-merging homage and not a lame bait-and-switch.

raymusiccity

God bless the Internet!

image.jpeg

Nmoody1

That does tangentially bring up a good point, if Disney offered as high a quality a product nowadays as they had in the past, then there wouldn't be a need to glad hand all of these social media "influencers" and this wouldn't even be an issue.

I disagree, most companies use opinion formers through social media channels - whether thier output is of apple, universal or disney levels

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom