A Spirited Perfect Ten

RandySavage

That would be a great question to ask at the shareholder meeting.

"Say, Bob....which of the opening day attractions weren't on the original menu and were the beneficiaries of that $800 million? And please be specific."

My guess: the answer is probably "Soarin', two temporary Performance Venues (Eastside & West side), a restaurant on the plaza, and Toy Story Playland (or its replacement)." Those are the additions from the Early Master Plan to the Late Master Plan. The extra $650 million is probably covering cost over-runs.

Any major additional attractions ready by opening day would have shown foundation work in last year's satellite pics.

VJ

Seeing Bob squirm at the measles question was E-ticket entertainment.

Wasn't too impressed by his answer either. He had to know that would be asked. I would've expected a smoother response, instead of "lots of places are dangerous for kids like dumpsters, dirty subways, and...uh...movie theaters! I've got a one year old grandchild, named Frozen or something, stupid names they give kids these days, look, Disneyland is as safe as a germ-infested doctor's office, and remember, Mickey and Anna and Elsa and Tink and Pooh and your new best friends from that Pixar emotions movie, they all say get your kids vaccinated. Are we done here?"

I dunno. Just thought he would have a better preprogrammed response.
Speaking of the 'Pixar emotions movie', it made me laugh that Iger actually stammered as if he had no idea when trying to say when Inside Out would be released in the Q&A.

Nubs70

Seeing Bob squirm at the measles question was E-ticket entertainment.

Wasn't too impressed by his answer either. He had to know that would be asked. I would've expected a smoother response, instead of "lots of places are dangerous for kids like dumpsters, dirty subways, and...uh...movie theaters! I've got a one year old grandchild, named Frozen or something, stupid names they give kids these days, look, Disneyland is as safe as a germ-infested doctor's office, and remember, Mickey and Anna and Elsa and Tink and Pooh and your new best friends from that Pixar emotions movie, they all say get your kids vaccinated. Are we done here?"

I dunno. Just thought he would have a better preprogrammed response.
He could diversify into Frozen branded measles vaccines. Maybe MagicVac? WDW could make an Anna and Elsa vaccination PSA.

No anti vaxxer parent could stand up against that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There was an interesting question and answer from the earnings call around hotel occupancy. I don't have the transcript in front of me so I'm paraphrasing. The current quarter had an 8% increase in domestic occupancy up to 89%. An analysts asked if they were at or near the maximum optimal level and Rasoulo said that he thinks between 89% and 91% is about the highest a hotel operator can get with managing people checking in and out with vary lengths of stay. It's really difficult to get above that level. Then he said that in the past if they were operating at that level it would signal a need to build more hotel rooms. Ironic since they removed a bunch of rooms from Poly for DVC. I wonder if they are considering a possible new hotel or expansion of an existing one. He did make some sort of comment about WDW having a lot more rooms off property that he is sure aren't operating at that high of a level.

tribbleorlfl

You know what else Bob is afraid of?

The measles.

Why? Because he actually just came out with what, for Disney, is a political statement saying he believes children should be vaccinated against the disease (he is right, of course, but the fact he would dare say such a thing shows Disney is very concerned that EVERY story on this outbreak starts with ''began at Disneyland over the Christmas holidays.'')

Here is some of his talk with CNBC's Julie Boorstin:

BOORSTIN: PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICIALS SAY THAT KIDS WHO ARE TOO YOUNG TO BE VACCINATED SHOULD NOT GO TO DISNEYLAND OR OTHER CROWDED PUBLIC PLACES. IF YOU TAKE ME I HAVE A 3 1/2-YEAR-OLD WHO WOULD LOVE TO GO TO DISNEYLAND BUT I ALSO HAVE A BABY WHO IS TOO YOUNG TO BE VACCINATED. WE'RE GOING TO BE HOLDING OFF ON TAKING OUR FAMILY FOR NOW. DO YOU THINK SITUATIONS LIKE THIS COULD HAVE AN IMPACT IN THOSE PUBLIC HEALTH WARNINGS WILL HAVE AN IMPACT?

IGER: WELL, I THINK, YOU KNOW, THIS IS A TIME FOR PARENTS LIKE YOURSELF WITH KIDS UNDER THE VACCINATION OR INOCULATION AGE TO BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT TAKING THEIR KIDS TO PUBLIC PLACES, NOT JUST THEME PARKS. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF OTHER PLACES. YOU KNOW, MASS TRANSPORTATION AND MOVIE THEATERS. YOU COULD PROBABLY NAME A NUMBER OF THEM. I THINK IT'S TIME TO BE CAREFUL. I HAVE A GRANDCHILD UNDER 1 ACTUALLY, AND I THINK, YOU KNOW, IT'S THE SMART THING TO DO. BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE VISITATION THAT WE SEE TO DISNEYLAND AND DISNEY WORLD, THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE THAT COME WITH KIDS THAT YOUNG IS NOT PARTICULARLY LARGE, BUT SO FAR, AGAIN, WE HAVE NOT SEEN A REAL IMPACT.

BOORSTIN: WE'RE OUT OF TIME NOW BUT ONE QUICK FINAL QUESTION, THIS MEASLES OUTBREAK HAS PROMPTED A NEW DEBATE ABOUT VACCINATION. WHERE DOES DISNEY STAND?

IGER: WELL, WE'RE NOT IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION OBVIOUSLY. WE'RE NOT DOCTORS. THE RESEARCH THAT I HAVE SEEN AND WHAT I HAVE READ FROM PLACES LIKE THE CDC SUGGESTS THAT GETTING INOCULATED IS A SMART THING. IT'S A PROVEN STRATEGY IN TERMS OF COMBATTING A DISEASE THAT, YOU KNOW, CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOUNG CHILDREN. SO I WOULD -- PERSONALLY, I WOULD ADVISE IT.

Sorry for the caps, but I took it right from the story and am not changing it ...
As he should be (affraid of measles and other vaccine-preventable diseases) considering the abysmal vaccination rates in SoCal and how many locals make up in-park guests on any given day.

Nubs70

As he should be (affraid of measles and other vaccine-preventable diseases) considering the abysmal vaccination rates in SoCal and how many locals make up in-park guests on any given day.
But if you are vaccinated, you could swim in a pool inundated with measles then lick a toilet seat festooned with measles and be just fine.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

So some thoughts on the measles…

Look… If you're not vaccinate your children, do the rest of us a favor. Don't take them in public. Leave them in a plastic bubble. Don't indanger the rest of the public health because you read something on the Internet.

If you don't believe in vaccines? That's perfectly fine. Move to a country that doesn't require them. Like Central Africa. And while you're at it realize that this is science. It's a proven fact. And if you're going to attack it, come at it with something better than political bs and talking points. It's science. Deal with it. I don't particularly agree with gravity but that's because I'd like to fly. But that scientifically impossible.

This is a major issue for Disney. It is in Disney's absolute best and first interest to ensure the health and well-being of their guests. They don't have a choice but to come out on the side of reinforcing that vaccines are really good idea if you're going to go out in public. We're talking about diseases that to the best of my knowledge were practically eradicated inside the United States and they've made a resurgence due to the lack of vaccination. The mumps and the measles are back… And that's messed up.

BrianLo

My guess: the answer is probably "Soarin', two temporary Performance Venues (Eastside & West side), a restaurant on the plaza, and Toy Story Playland (or its replacement)." Those are the additions from the Early Master Plan to the Late Master Plan. The extra $650 million is probably covering cost over-runs.

Any major additional attractions ready by opening day would have shown foundation work in last year's satellite pics.

To truly qualify as a new expansion though, the foundation work shouldn't pre-date the approval of the additional 800million dollar budget. They were quite explicit at the time that the money was for something new and not cost over-runs. The performance venues I can see, but Soarin' was filming before that money was earmarked. Toy Story Playland or equivalent could be a definite "expansion", although again was listed on the "menu" as it were.

I guess the question as @Lee put it... are they allowed to just falsify information to the shareholders to hide cost over-runs?

ParentsOf4

Numbers for @ParentsOf4 to rip apart ...
No ripping, just sadness.

Let's start with the basics.

Domestic Parks & Resorts (P&R) revenue for the quarter is $3.2 billion, up a very strong 10.6%, its best quarterly increase since 2Q13. This was driven by a 7% attendance gain.

Depending on how you look at it, this is great or horrible news for you and I. For the first time in ages, higher prices were not the primary driving force behind revenue growth.

The upside is price increases have slowed down. The downside is that the parks are more crowded than ever.

Also on the plus side, domestic hotel occupancy was an outstanding 89%.

Attendance is way up; hotel occupancy is way up.

These are the kinds of domestic numbers Disney wants to see.

WDW needs to build!

Yes, yes, work needs to be done at 3 theme parks. However, with domestic attendance up 30% in the last 10 years, it's not enough.

As I posted before on this link, WDW needs a 5th theme park.

With numbers like these, Disney has got to be investing in its theme parks, right?

Ugh, guess again. :banghead:

Let's talk about the numbers fans of WDW should truly care about:
  • Domestic P&R Depreciation: $297 million
  • Domestic P&R Capital Expenditures: $239 million
Even with Disney Springs and Pandora construction ongoing, capex is an ungodly low 7.4% of revenue. This is getting into Six Flags territory.

Meanwhile, capex is $58 million less than depreciation. Again, this is with Disney Springs and Pandora ongoing.

I shudder to think what's happening to maintenance and upkeep.

WDW and DLR are getting old and they just don't care anymore. :cry:

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

He could diversify into Frozen branded measles vaccines. Maybe MagicVac? WDW could make an Anna and Elsa vaccination PSA.

Pay for an "Olaf's Warm Hug" (cast member with measles), then sell Anna/Elsa themed vaccines.

Profit.
a025341.jpg

TP2000

Why does it see like two of our MAGICal regulars were posting on the DPB?!?!

Lee on February 3rd, 2015 at 2:38 pm
This looks amazing. I can not wait until this is finished. It really makes me want to take a trip to China.

Thor from CA on February 3rd, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Very cool! But this park opens in November? Unless these photos are very old, I can’t see how the park will be ready in November.

You noticed! Post #5 was most definitely me. :cool:

I enjoy trying to get slightly subversive posts in on that Corporate Fun Blog. The trick is you have to start with a really perky comment, then you can pretty much say what you want.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

While we are talking financial matters, this is a nice read for folks interested in DLP (you know the resort that is going to close up shop and be replaced by a Super Walmart, condos, and a cheap Euro trash operator running the rides, all stripped of their Disney IP, at a park that once was a MK!!!):D

It's basically on how TWDC has screwed the Euro Disney SCA shareholders from the start and is continuing to do so now to get what it has been after for over a decade now: total control of the resort.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...reholders-specialreport-idUSKBN0L60UU20150202
this makes me wonder.. just how much TWDC charges Euro disney for licensing fees?

Cesar R M

Bob's not afraid to tackle the hard-hitting topics, like measles vaccines. Such a coherent answer for someone who can't put together a simple sentence about the results of MM+.
perhaps he hired the amazing Teleprompter and talk system that Bush used ;)

Off topic but I am 99.999999999371% sure @WDW1974 predicted Shanghai opening would be pushed back to 2016.......as it was suggested today.
ft4mxZH.jpg

bhg469

So some thoughts on the measles…

Look… If you're not vaccinate your children, do the rest of us a favor. Don't take them in public. Leave them in a plastic bubble. Don't indanger the rest of the public health because you read something retarded on the Internet.

If you don't believe in vaccines? That's perfectly fine. Move to a country that doesn't require them. Like Central Africa. And while you're at it realize that this is science. It's not a Kenyan. It's a proven fact. And if you're going to attack it, come at it with something better than political bs and talking points. It's science. Deal with it. I don't particularly agree with gravity but that's because I'd like to fly. But that scientifically impossible.

This is a major issue for Disney. It is in Disney's absolute best and first interest to ensure the health and well-being of their guests. They don't have a choice but to come out on the side of reinforcing that vaccines are really good idea if you're going to go out in public. We're talking about diseases that to the best of my knowledge were practically eradicated inside the United States and they've made a resurgence due to the lack of vaccination. The mumps and the measles are back… And that's messed up.
it's frightening how much stock people put into the anti vaccination celebs.

Cesar R M

conspirationists will find a way.
Like "she's an evil queen who wants to kill the poor peasants!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom