A Spirited Perfect Ten

WendyGirl1979

Hi, long time listener, first time caller.
Excellent post, posing excellent questions.

I don't want to come across as overly negative on the subject (Mostly since I know Spirit is friendly with the leadership over at Miceage and I don't want to step on his toes...), but I really can't get past the feeling that the whole Walt's birthplace thing is a little...off.
*snip*
Not to beat a dying horse, but when I first read about this project, I kinda was like "...oh", seemed kinda out there and I'm a total Disney Nerd but no. They seem to want some kind of odd separation from the project, which is odd because the dude over the whole website works for/is an owner of the house, right? Between this an another far-unrelated Kickstarter I'm aware of, makes me a little wary.
Like @WDW1974, I'm a little divided about how the project itself makes me feel. I've done lots of things for the sheer love of them that have make people look at me strangely, so I get having something you're passionate about. Like everyone else, a little more transparency would help my mind a bit.
Can't help but think that those stories that have circulated of late about the turmoil regarding getting SDL up and running and who will replace Bob and just 'What is Disney?' today have gotten in the man's head (not that there isn't plenty of spare room there anyway!)
Like a dried pea in a jar, rattling away.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know what else Bob is afraid of?

The measles.

Why? Because he actually just came out with what, for Disney, is a political statement saying he believes children should be vaccinated against the disease (he is right, of course, but the fact he would dare say such a thing shows Disney is very concerned that EVERY story on this outbreak starts with ''began at Disneyland over the Christmas holidays.'')

Here is some of his talk with CNBC's Julie Boorstin:

BOORSTIN: PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICIALS SAY THAT KIDS WHO ARE TOO YOUNG TO BE VACCINATED SHOULD NOT GO TO DISNEYLAND OR OTHER CROWDED PUBLIC PLACES. IF YOU TAKE ME I HAVE A 3 1/2-YEAR-OLD WHO WOULD LOVE TO GO TO DISNEYLAND BUT I ALSO HAVE A BABY WHO IS TOO YOUNG TO BE VACCINATED. WE'RE GOING TO BE HOLDING OFF ON TAKING OUR FAMILY FOR NOW. DO YOU THINK SITUATIONS LIKE THIS COULD HAVE AN IMPACT IN THOSE PUBLIC HEALTH WARNINGS WILL HAVE AN IMPACT?

IGER: WELL, I THINK, YOU KNOW, THIS IS A TIME FOR PARENTS LIKE YOURSELF WITH KIDS UNDER THE VACCINATION OR INOCULATION AGE TO BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT TAKING THEIR KIDS TO PUBLIC PLACES, NOT JUST THEME PARKS. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF OTHER PLACES. YOU KNOW, MASS TRANSPORTATION AND MOVIE THEATERS. YOU COULD PROBABLY NAME A NUMBER OF THEM. I THINK IT'S TIME TO BE CAREFUL. I HAVE A GRANDCHILD UNDER 1 ACTUALLY, AND I THINK, YOU KNOW, IT'S THE SMART THING TO DO. BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE VISITATION THAT WE SEE TO DISNEYLAND AND DISNEY WORLD, THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE THAT COME WITH KIDS THAT YOUNG IS NOT PARTICULARLY LARGE, BUT SO FAR, AGAIN, WE HAVE NOT SEEN A REAL IMPACT.

BOORSTIN: WE'RE OUT OF TIME NOW BUT ONE QUICK FINAL QUESTION, THIS MEASLES OUTBREAK HAS PROMPTED A NEW DEBATE ABOUT VACCINATION. WHERE DOES DISNEY STAND?

IGER: WELL, WE'RE NOT IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION OBVIOUSLY. WE'RE NOT DOCTORS. THE RESEARCH THAT I HAVE SEEN AND WHAT I HAVE READ FROM PLACES LIKE THE CDC SUGGESTS THAT GETTING INOCULATED IS A SMART THING. IT'S A PROVEN STRATEGY IN TERMS OF COMBATTING A DISEASE THAT, YOU KNOW, CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOUNG CHILDREN. SO I WOULD -- PERSONALLY, I WOULD ADVISE IT.

Sorry for the caps, but I took it right from the story and am not changing it ...

Last edited:

bhg469

Hi, long time listener, first time caller.

Not to beat a dying horse, but when I first read about this project, I kinda was like "...oh", seemed kinda out there and I'm a total Disney Nerd but no. They seem to want some kind of odd separation from the project, which is odd because the dude over the whole website works for/is an owner of the house, right? Between this an another far-unrelated Kickstarter I'm aware of, makes me a little wary.
Like @WDW1974, I'm a little divided about how the project itself makes me feel. I've done lots of things for the sheer love of them that have make people look at me strangely, so I get having something you're passionate about. Like everyone else, a little more transparency would help my mind a bit.

Like a dried pea in a jar, rattling away.
Surprisingly good first post! It seems more normal for first time posters to wonder when frozen land opens or when can I get fast passes for the olaf ride..

GiveMeTheMusic

The measles.

Why? Because he actually just came out with what, for Disney, is a political statement saying he believes children should be vaccinated against the disease (he is right, of course, but the fact he would dare say such a thing shows Disney is very concerned that EVERY story on this outbreak starts with ''began at Disneyland over the Christmas holidays.'')

BOORSTIN: PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICIALS SAY THAT KIDS WHO ARE TOO YOUNG TO BE VACCINATED SHOULD NOT GO TO DISNEYLAND OR OTHER CROWDED PUBLIC PLACES. IF YOU TAKE ME I HAVE A 3 1/2-YEAR-OLD WHO WOULD LOVE TO GO TO DISNEYLAND BUT I ALSO HAVE A BABY WHO IS TOO YOUNG TO BE VACCINATED. WE'RE GOING TO BE HOLDING OFF ON TAKING OUR FAMILY FOR NOW. DO YOU THINK SITUATIONS LIKE THIS COULD HAVE AN IMPACT IN THOSE PUBLIC HEALTH WARNINGS WILL HAVE AN IMPACT?

IGER: WELL, I THINK, YOU KNOW, THIS IS A TIME FOR PARENTS LIKE YOURSELF WITH KIDS UNDER THE VACCINATION OR INOCULATION AGE TO BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT TAKING THEIR KIDS TO PUBLIC PLACES, NOT JUST THEME PARKS. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF OTHER PLACES. YOU KNOW, MASS TRANSPORTATION AND MOVIE THEATERS. YOU COULD PROBABLY NAME A NUMBER OF THEM. I THINK IT'S TIME TO BE CAREFUL. I HAVE A GRANDCHILD UNDER 1 ACTUALLY, AND I THINK, YOU KNOW, IT'S THE SMART THING TO DO. BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE VISITATION THAT WE SEE TO DISNEYLAND AND DISNEY WORLD, THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE THAT COME WITH KIDS THAT YOUNG IS NOT PARTICULARLY LARGE, BUT SO FAR, AGAIN, WE HAVE NOT SEEN A REAL IMPACT.

BOORSTIN: WE'RE OUT OF TIME NOW BUT ONE QUICK FINAL QUESTION, THIS MEASLES OUTBREAK HAS PROMPTED A NEW DEBATE ABOUT VACCINATION. WHERE DOES DISNEY STAND?

IGER: WELL, WE'RE NOT IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION OBVIOUSLY. WE'RE NOT DOCTORS. THE RESEARCH THAT I HAVE SEEN AND WHAT I HAVE READ FROM PLACES LIKE THE CDC SUGGESTS THAT GETTING INOCULATED IS A SMART THING. IT'S A PROVEN STRATEGY IN TERMS OF COMBATTING A DISEASE THAT, YOU KNOW, CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOUNG CHILDREN. SO I WOULD -- PERSONALLY, I WOULD ADVISE IT.

Sorry for the caps, but I took it right from the story and am not changing it ...

Bob's not afraid to tackle the hard-hitting topics, like measles vaccines. Such a coherent answer for someone who can't put together a simple sentence about the results of MM+.

Nubs70

The measles.

So could one imply that parents of young children of stroller age should not go to theme parks????

Kind of blows a hole in the business plan.

Lee

Adventurer
Can't help but think that those stories that have circulated of late about the turmoil regarding getting SDL up and running and who will replace Bob and just 'What is Disney?' today have gotten in the man's head (not that there isn't plenty of spare room there anyway!)
My thoughts exactly.
Knowing how wide, and how high, that Huff Post story was read....I have to think it played (is playing) a part in Iger's thinking.

Absimilliard

Seroiusly, Bob, can you use the words 'franchise' and 'brands' any more. If I were playing a drinking game, I'd have alcohol poisoning by now.

And 'spring 2016' is what you'll say, huh? I guess my source was right and my apologies for sitting on the info on the date (@Lee will attest that I've had it for months now). Hey, @WDWFigment, you and maybe @BrianLo are the only folks I can think of that might also be interested.

May 2016 for Shanghai? Humm. Maybe my first trip to Mainland China can take place then!

tirian

I want to see him deliver a weather report.

Iger is asked: Will Star Wars 'kill' or 'slay' or 'overtake' (I don't recall her exact word) Avatar?

(Not realizing that Avatar has somehow become a DIS brand.)

Awkwardly, clearly not knowing how to respond, he paused. Then, he said that he 'just would not want to comment on that.'

Seriously, this guy runs the world's largest MEDIA corp and doesn't even know how to communicate sans a script. Effing amazing.

C'mon apologists, you know you want to go after me ... bring it on.

BrianLo

And 'spring 2016' is what you'll say, huh? I guess my source was right and my apologies for sitting on the info on the date (@Lee will attest that I've had it for months now). Hey, @WDWFigment, you and maybe @BrianLo are the only folks I can think of that might also be interested.

Works for me, don't think I want to go just for opening (seems like it's ripe to be overwhelming), but I'll gladly go several weeks later when the bugs are worked out...

We'll see though, there might be a certain appeal of going for opening just for the experience and coming back a few weeks later at the end of a trip.

You've done past park openings... is it really worth it?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Iger is asked: Will Star Wars 'kill' or 'slay' or 'overtake' (I don't recall her exact word) Avatar?

(Not realizing that Avatar has somehow become a DIS brand.)

Awkwardly, clearly not knowing how to respond, he paused. Then, he said that he 'just would not want to comment on that.'

Seriously, this guy runs the world's largest MEDIA corp and doesn't even know how to communicate sans a script. Effing amazing.

C'mon apologists, you know you want to go after me ... bring it on.

Wow, even I can answer that one succinctly without even thinking too much.

"Both Avatar and Star Wars are incredible stories which brought together several groups of people, ages, friends, families to see a common fantasy story with a heart....does it really matter whether one overtakes the other if they are both successful in that way?"

BrianLo

For you, @BrianLo & @the.dreamfinder (I think that's everyone who asked about the Ratatouille ride): Uh...eh...it's fine. If I had never done a trackless dark ride or had never done a 3D attraction, I'd probably be impressed. But I have, and I wasn't. The concept was sound and there are some really well done parts, but in some places, it's really, really sloppy.

I'll do a full review later, but suffice to say, I was not a fan. It's not awful, and it's not bad. It's just fine, which is not what a "flagship" attraction should be.

Thanks a bunch! If nothing else at least there is somewhere worth actually eating in WDS. :D

BrianLo

Oh @WDW1974 - one more thing if you can touch on it, a knowing nod is fine as well. Iger again has asserted this 800 million expansion for SDL. What is that supposed money actually building? If that can't be shared yet, do you know if it is actually for something outside of the list of attractions you posted over a year ago?

The quote in question...
"As you’ll recall, after we broke ground on this incredible resort, we announced an $800 million expansion, significantly increasing both the size of the park and the number of attractions available to our guests on opening day. Even with that expansion, we will complete major construction by the end of this calendar year, and we’re planning a spectacular grand opening in Spring of 2016, which we believe is the optimal time to showcase the full grandeur of this world class destination.”

Lee

Adventurer
Oh @WDW1974 - one more thing if you can touch on it, a knowing nod is fine as well. Iger again has asserted this 800 million expansion for SDL. What is that supposed money actually building? If that can't be shared yet, do you know if it is actually for something outside of the list of attractions you posted over a year ago?

The quote in question...
That would be a great question to ask at the shareholder meeting.

"Say, Bob....which of the opening day attractions weren't on the original menu and were the beneficiaries of that $800 million? And please be specific."

Likely, he'll just stammer a bit and blurt out "Frozen! Brand! Magic!"

TalkingHead

The measles.

Seeing Bob squirm at the measles question was E-ticket entertainment.

Wasn't too impressed by his answer either. He had to know that would be asked. I would've expected a smoother response, instead of "lots of places are dangerous for kids like dumpsters, dirty subways, and...uh...movie theaters! I've got a one year old grandchild, named Frozen or something, stupid names they give kids these days, look, Disneyland is as safe as a germ-infested doctor's office, and remember, Mickey and Anna and Elsa and Tink and Pooh and your new best friends from that Pixar emotions movie, they all say get your kids vaccinated. Are we done here?"

I dunno. Just thought he would have a better preprogrammed response.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom