A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

it's frightening how much stock people put into the anti vaccination celebs.

Thing is though, if parents hate their children enough not to get them vaccinated, would they really take them to a Disney park?

Wanting your kid to get sick is child abuse, plain and simple - I think any parent who doesn't get their kids vaccinated should be prosecuted and have their kids removed from them for the safety of their kids and everyone else's - and I find it hard to believe that anyone capable of being so cruel to their own kids would also be kind enough to treat them to a theme park trip.

RandySavage

To truly qualify as a new expansion though, the foundation work shouldn't pre-date the approval of the additional 800million dollar budget. They were quite explicit at the time that the money was for something new and not cost over-runs. The performance venues I can see, but Soarin' was filming before that money was earmarked. Toy Story Playland or equivalent could be a definite "expansion", although again was listed on the "menu" as it were.

I guess the question as @Lee put it... are they allowed to just falsify information to the shareholders to hide cost over-runs?

Is it falsifying information if they never put any specific information out there as to what the old $4.7billion, versus the current $5.5, was buying? They're not required to report the specifics of how their plans change & develop and where/how the money is allocated on the micro scale, (e.g. what rides are being built with that additional $800 million?).

You're right, to the few that have been following this project so closely that we're aware of the park's contents, a $800 million expansion package should mean a lot of cool new stuff (more than all of HKDL's recent expansions) on top of what we know about (e.g., post-Soarin'). I hope/wish that were the case, but there isn't much physical evidence that it is - especially if it will be ready by opening day, as Iger stated today.

So the only other explanation I can see is the phase "1.5" (Soarin, Toy Story).

Clamman73

a025341.jpg
Fixed
image.jpg

Goofyernmost

So could one imply that parents of young children of stroller age should not go to theme parks????

Kind of blows a hole in the business plan.
Just from observation the use of those hard plastic strollers are pretty much the age two to what looks like 15 in some cases, so it would not impact rentals at all.

all who are riding the dumb wagon of that flawed idea of the "expert" claiming that vaccines caused autism.
Someone should post that Penn and Teller "BullS..." episode about vaccines..

wait, ill do it again.

I am not denying anything. I truly believe that people that don't get their children vaccinated are complete idiots, but, I have to wonder why one minute we are saying don't believe what someone tells you on the internet and seconds later endorse a video by Penn & Teller. Did either one of them pass the medical exams to be a Doctor? I believe that they are credible based on science, but what makes anyone think that the non-vaccination group are even a little bit influenced by that video. It preaching to the choir.

Rodan75

Iger is asked: Will Star Wars 'kill' or 'slay' or 'overtake' (I don't recall her exact word) Avatar?

(Not realizing that Avatar has somehow become a DIS brand.)

Awkwardly, clearly not knowing how to respond, he paused. Then, he said that he 'just would not want to comment on that.'

Seriously, this guy runs the world's largest MEDIA corp and doesn't even know how to communicate sans a script. Effing amazing.

C'mon apologists, you know you want to go after me ... bring it on.

LoL. You are extra Bob Angry lately? Igery? What's up did he do something besides neglect WDW?

yensidtlaw1969

Seroiusly, Bob, can you use the words 'franchise' and 'brands' any more. If I were playing a drinking game, I'd have alcohol poisoning by now.

And 'spring 2016' is what you'll say, huh? I guess my source was right and my apologies for sitting on the info on the date (@Lee will attest that I've had it for months now). Hey, @WDWFigment, you and maybe @BrianLo are the only folks I can think of that might also be interested.
Add one more to that list! ;)

On a totally unrelated note, 74, have you heard any talk about The Hatbox Ghost at Disneyland? It seems like a done deal that he's returning for the 60th, but if you had any insight there I'd love to hear it.

BrianLo

I'm irritated by the anti-vaccination movement as much as the next person (well, probably more), but in terms of Medical Neglect it is fairly mild. I see it in part as a failure of the medical community to appeal to a subset of the population, the very small odds of contracting a vaccine preventable illness and "Dr. Google" that makes everyone think they are qualified to debate medical advice.

Medical neglect has been a hot topic in Canada recently with two First Nation children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) electing for "traditional" therapies over chemotherapy. (I'll give you one guess where they are seeking "alternative" therapies... yes it's Florida). ALL treated with chemo is roughly 95% remissible in Children, without treatment it carries a 100% rate of mortality. The cases went to the Supreme Court (that's as high as one goes in Canada) and ruled in favour of allowing the freedom of choice for the families to make in regards to treatment their children receive.

Despite the death sentence, I agree, inherent choice should never be denied. Unfortunately, the wrong question was debated in court. Had the supreme court evaluated whether that particular decision was considered Medical Neglect and a Children's Aid Society apprehension should have taken place, a child's life would have most assuredly been saved.

Unfortunately, the one girl whose name was originally published (Makayla Sault) has died very recently. It's an extreme case where we weren't discussing hypotheticals and a situation that impacts greater society rather than your child. The parents refused medical advice and ultimately chose death for their child, they clearly didn't believe that, and still somehow blame modern medicine, but that's what happened.

I don't for a second believe her parents didn't love her, they truly believed they were doing the right thing, no matter how misguided. That's their cross to bear and touches on a lot of additional subtexts between longstanding terrible relations between the Canadian Government, abuse and First Nations that's beyond this post.

Of course, the real monster is the 'snake oil salesman' in Florida. Just as the true monsters of the vaccination movement are the ones who fling their indoctrination onto impressionable families that the medical system has failed to establish a trusting relationship.

In the end, all movements must face the muster and that's what is finally happening with vaccinations. America runs on fear after all - and finally the scales have tipped back in favour of rationality. Let's not demonize some of the misguided parents who were just trying to do right by their children in the process though.

BrianLo

Is it falsifying information if they never put any specific information out there as to what the old $4.7billion, versus the current $5.5, was buying? They're not required to report the specifics of how their plans change & develop and where/how the money is allocated on the micro scale, (e.g. what rides are being built with that additional $800 million?).

You're right, to the few that have been following this project so closely that we're aware of the park's contents, a $800 million expansion package should mean a lot of cool new stuff (more than all of HKDL's recent expansions) on top of what we know about (e.g., post-Soarin'). I hope/wish that were the case, but there isn't much physical evidence that it is - especially if it will be ready by opening day, as Iger stated today.

So the only other explanation I can see is the phase "1.5" (Soarin, Toy Story).

I agree, it's more a case of scratching my head at just what exactly was not budgeted for as of last April, I don't think that's Soarin' as we've been hearing about it for years and we still see no evidence of TSPL. Although anything is possible, who knows what things we figured were a done deal that slipped in and out of the phase 1.5 moniker.

I'm waiting for the Theme Park Guy's photo update to potentially shed some light. If it isn't showing signs of construction now it certainly won't be making park opening.

MarkTwain

Thing is though, if parents hate their children enough not to get them vaccinated, would they really take them to a Disney park?

Wanting your kid to get sick is child abuse, plain and simple - I think any parent who doesn't get their kids vaccinated should be prosecuted and have their kids removed from them for the safety of their kids and everyone else's - and I find it hard to believe that anyone capable of being so cruel to their own kids would also be kind enough to treat them to a theme park trip.

As he should be (affraid of measles and other vaccine-preventable diseases) considering the abysmal vaccination rates in SoCal and how many locals make up in-park guests on any given day.

Put it this way. Multiple measles-incident threads have been started on MiceChat (a much more Disneyland/California-based forum)... and most of them have been derailed or shut down from all the anti-vaxxers complaining they're being unfairly criticized, or trying to loudly justify to the whole forum their decision not to vaccinate.

Anti-vaxxers aren't just abundant in California, they're abundant on MiceChat. A parent's decision to risk taking their unvaccinated child to Disneyland is one thing, but to be a Disney fan that takes your unvaccinated children every week with your annual pass... that's something else.

(Sorry mods)

Cesar R M

Just from observation the use of those hard plastic strollers are pretty much the age two to what looks like 15 in some cases, so it would not impact rentals at all.

I am not denying anything. I truly believe that people that don't get their children vaccinated are complete idiots, but, I have to wonder why one minute we are saying don't believe what someone tells you on the internet and seconds later endorse a video by Penn & Teller. Did either one of them pass the medical exams to be a Doctor? I believe that they are credible based on science, but what makes anyone think that the non-vaccination group are even a little bit influenced by that video. It preaching to the choir.
Pen and Teller usually back their "bull" videos with information and studies.

Not by "magic" or some weird "ancient aliens" book that says Midoclorians came from who knows where and made cyborg jesus live in our brains ;)

Also, Vacinations have been proven to WORK since the creation of them.

Its like you running into a wall, you will get hurt, right?
Also thousands knows that running into a wall will hurt them based on experience and proof.
Now imagine the anti vacers as akin to someone who keeps running full speed towards a wall. All because some dude with special intere$t$ decided to shout everywhere how "running into a wall is healthy".

Cesar R M

I'm irritated by the anti-vaccination movement as much as the next person (well, probably more), but in terms of Medical Neglect it is fairly mild. I see it in part as a failure of the medical community to appeal to a subset of the population, the very small odds of contracting a vaccine preventable illness and "Dr. Google" that makes everyone think they are qualified to debate medical advice.

Medical neglect has been a hot topic in Canada recently with two First Nation children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) electing for "traditional" therapies over chemotherapy. (I'll give you one guess where they are seeking "alternative" therapies... yes it's Florida). ALL treated with chemo is roughly 95% remissible in Children, without treatment it carries a 100% rate of mortality. The cases went to the Supreme Court (that's as high as one goes in Canada) and ruled in favour of allowing the freedom of choice for the families to make in regards to treatment their children receive.

Despite the death sentence, I agree, inherent choice should never be denied. Unfortunately, the wrong question was debated in court. Had the supreme court evaluated whether that particular decision was considered Medical Neglect and a Children's Aid Society apprehension should have taken place, a child's life would have most assuredly been saved.

Unfortunately, the one girl whose name was originally published (Makayla Sault) has died very recently. It's an extreme case where we weren't discussing hypotheticals and a situation that impacts greater society rather than your child. The parents refused medical advice and ultimately chose death for their child, they clearly didn't believe that, and still somehow blame modern medicine, but that's what happened.

I don't for a second believe her parents didn't love her, they truly believed they were doing the right thing, no matter how misguided. That's their cross to bear and touches on a lot of additional subtexts between longstanding terrible relations between the Canadian Government, abuse and First Nations that's beyond this post.

Of course, the real monster is the 'snake oil salesman' in Florida. Just as the true monsters of the vaccination movement are the ones who fling their indoctrination onto impressionable families that the medical system has failed to establish a trusting relationship.

In the end, all movements must face the muster and that's what is finally happening with vaccinations. America runs on fear after all - and finally the scales have tipped back in favour of rationality. Let's not demonize some of the misguided parents who were just trying to do right by their children in the process though.

The problem on this case... is.. unlike cancer.. the remedial medicine that is "Vaccines". Prevent HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS and DAMAGING diseases.
Contagious as in spreading way too easily from human to human.
While you have the right to not let your child have any vaccine.. Its still a CRIME to have them spread these viruses/diseases to other people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom