A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

It really does get old. I love history, and I love the story of Walt, but just about the only untouchable things to me would be his apartment and the castle. It doesn't mean every potential change is a good idea, but so many of the same people are predictably against most changes. It seems like the Star Wars plan keeps the bulk of the RoA experience intact; the only thing I don't like is the idea of placing the whole island "backstage". Even that I'm not so sure is happening; the part of the island that guests currently use is to the south, so what's the harm in running the rafts over there?

And of course, the is irony of most folks who cling to "Walt the Untouchable" also completely misunderstand the man, because he was all about progress and ripping things out to add new things.

I've said it before, but I honestly believe if Walt Disney was somehow reconstituted and given a tour of Disneyland, he'd think that 10, perhaps 15 years at most had passed since his death. He would be absolutely irate that the park looks as much like he left it as it does, some 49 years later.

Cesar R M

Yeesh...DL is going to be a a mess for the next year or so. I'm having a hard time imagining that transition to Star Wars land from Frontier or Fantasyland. That path wrapping behind BTMRR (adjacent to Big Thunder Ranch) is tight quarters. They're gonna have to create one heck of a buffer in that area unless I'm seeing it completely wrong in my head.
how about a giant olaff statue? :hilarious:

Figments Friend

I'm just completely baffled as to how this great expense of changing Frontierland is what won the day. Who insisted on spending all of that on these changes instead of on the new land?

My guess is Iger has instructed a mandatory push to make SWL a reality at Disneyland Park no matter what.
A bit like the recent Corporate mandate to infuse 'Frozen' into everything.
The zillions to be made from adding a new themed area based on the films is just too tempting and everything else is secondary in his opinion perhaps.
There is also his 'legacy' and possible ego issues involved in connection with this project..but I don't know Bob personally so have no insights into that matter.

Based on the general consensus in the fan community however, one gets the impression that he was quite keen on aquiring the 'Star Wars' franchise and enjoys flaunting it when opportunity arises.
I'm sure he is eager to exploit....uh, I mean, promote it and use it in the Parks in a major way.

'Star Wars' will be synergied like crazy ...we have seen nothing yet!

-

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

It's a bit early to wonder, but does anyone have any clues/hunches on if Summer Fun will be back next year? It'd be a bit odd with Ever After opening at Epcot, but on the flip side, DHS pretty much NEEDS Summer Fun to stay afloat.

Rteetz

It's a bit early to wonder, but does anyone have any clues/hunches on if Summer Fun will be back next year? It'd be a bit odd with Ever After opening at Epcot, but on the flip side, DHS pretty much NEEDS Summer Fun to stay afloat.
Paris already announced that it will be back there next summer

Garfield

Except the new fiscal year doesn't start until October 5th (ends on the 4th)...

Close. It ends October 3rd and starts on October 4th. Here is a quote from the 2014 WDC year end report. It is on page 45:

IMPACT OF FISCAL REPORTING CALENDAR

"The Company’s fiscal year ends on the Saturday closest to September 30 and consists of fifty-two weeks with the
exception that approximately every six years, we have a fifty-three week year. Fiscal 2015 is a fifty-three week year beginning on September 28, 2014 and ending on October 3, 2015."

Link to report I found it in: http://cdn.media.ir.thewaltdisneycompany.com/2014/annual/10k-wrap-2014.pdf

Nmoody1

My guess is Iger has instructed a mandatory push to make SWL a reality at Disneyland Park no matter what.
The zillions to be made from adding a new themed area based on the films is just too tempting and everything else is secondary in his opinion perhaps.
There is also his 'legacy' and possible ego issues involved in connection with this project..but I don't know Bob personally so have no insights into that matter.

Based on the general consensus in the fan community however, one gets the impression that he was quite keen on aquiring the 'Star Wars' franchise and enjoys flaunting it when opportunity arises.
I'm sure he is eager to exploit....uh, I mean, promote it and use it in the Parks in a major way.

-

A bit like Pandora/Avatar was going to be his global legacy! D'oh!

asianway

Close. It ends October 3rd and starts on October 4th. Here is a quote from the 2014 WDC year end report. It is on page 45:

IMPACT OF FISCAL REPORTING CALENDAR

"The Company’s fiscal year ends on the Saturday closest to September 30 and consists of fifty-two weeks with the
exception that approximately every six years, we have a fifty-three week year. Fiscal 2015 is a fifty-three week year beginning on September 28, 2014 and ending on October 3, 2015."

Link to report I found it in: http://cdn.media.ir.thewaltdisneycompany.com/2014/annual/10k-wrap-2014.pdf
I may or may not have a 55 year historical calendar of the 4-4-5 in my files

brb1006

how about a giant olaff statue? :hilarious:
You know what could really anger the WDW fans more? Changing Stitch's Great Escape and making it themed after Frozen starring Olaf.
MK_OLAF-ESCAPE1-3000x1688.png

MK_OLAF-ESCAPE2-640x359.jpg

lazyboy97o

-
That really doesn't at all address my point. Getting Star Wars into Disneyland can and was planned to be done in a way that was far less disruptive to large parts of the existing park. Wanting the land does not mean also wanting to spend more than necessary on site prep.

Smiddimizer

That really doesn't at all address my point. Getting Star Wars into Disneyland can and was planned to be done in a way that was far less disruptive to large parts of the existing park. Wanting the land does not mean also wanting to spend more than necessary on site prep.

The only legitimate excuse I've seen is that they could't have the showbuildings in the fireworks fallout zone (edit: I should clarify, for the Toontown plan). Don't know why it took them until the eleventh hour to realize that though.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
So the answer is to just rip it out? They screwed it over years ago, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be fixed

Does the plan even call for TSI to go away at this point? I didn't think that was stated.... just that the back half, which isn't even guest area is set to go away.

The bigger issue for me is the loss of half of the river. How relaxing will a 4 minute Mark Twain cruise be where the dock never leaves your sight?

I think you'll see I said the ROA changes were the bigger ones as well. As for that time.. it can be masked a bit with changing the speed of the boat on the different parts of the loop as well as actually giving you more to see or hear, etc.

Just another Disney Parks-only experience being shuttered when its replacement could have gone elsewhere. None of this is necessary, and while the ROA is neutered, Tomorrowland and Toontown will remain (for the foreseeable future) the ghettoes they've become since the late 90's. There's a better way to do all of this.

Both the ROA and Jungle Cruise (as is autopia) are massive swaths of the park's area that are pretty wasteful. I'm glad to see the park finally utilizing all that space to the North of BTMRR. This is going to be a huge upgrade compared to the corporate use of the festival area and the ranch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom