A Spirited Perfect Ten

TalkingHead

It's all fake. It's a freaking theme park.

But honestly, if you can't figure out why the Rivers of America are an important part of Disneyland, I got nothin'.

Like the old Nature's Wonderland was an important part, or the old Pirate Ship in Fantasyland was an important part, or the Skyway going through the Matterhorn was an important...

It gets tiresome. Either get used to the fact that the parks will continue to change or prepare to spend the rest of your life crying over the fact that it's not 1965 and Walt's not walking through that door.

Cesar R M

Walt never said that Disneyland was or was not a museum. The "Disneyland is not a museum" mantra comes from Disney's modern-day Markateers to shut up fan complaints when a questionable change is made in the park. as for the news I would have stayed with the plans to axe Toontown.
I actually wonder if the choice from Toontown to ROA and Thunder area was not just space issues.
Wouldn't the towers of StarWarsLand be visible right behind the castle? Wouldn't it affect the fireworks launch?

Cesar R M

It's all fake. It's a freaking theme park.

But honestly, if you can't figure out why the Rivers of America are an important part of Disneyland, I got nothin'.
they may be fakes, but they converted into symbols of Disney. Of a fantastic world that we hope to go to get immersed and forget the real world for a bit.

Andrew_Ryan

Like the old Nature's Wonderland was an important part, or the old Pirate Ship in Fantasyland was an important part, or the Skyway going through the Matterhorn was an important...

It gets tiresome. Either get used to the fact that the parks will continue to change or prepare to spend the rest of your life crying over the fact that it's not 1965 and Walt's not walking through that door.

I'm not so much against change as I am against a questionable choice of placement. Put it in Tomorrowland where it belongs, or put it in another park.

Probably not going to happen, I know, but it doesn't change my opinion on the matter.

stevehousse

What are they going to do to Star Tours in Tomorrowland with the Star Wars on the other side of the park?!? I guess I never even realized this until it was just brought up!

matt9112

I agree that the DL Fanbase can get a bit extreme and militant but i sure as hell prefer that to the apathy or downright defending mediocrity that a large portion of the WDW fanbase is guilty of. That is slowly changing but I do think it is why WDW has been in such trouble over the past decade.

They are quick to verbally burn WDW to the ground as some half ### place that they are too good for but something like this makes them melt...oh WDC making a bad decision you don't agree with? Get used to it those of us In florida have.

twebber55

What are they going to do to Star Tours in Tomorrowland with the Star Wars on the other side of the park?!? I guess I never even realized this until it was just brought up!
just a crazy guess
maybe change it to the new Iron Man ride
or just leave it and not do a thing

certainly seems like DL has some serious logistical issues way more than DHS

Cosmic Commando

Country Bears was "Walt's Last Laugh"...
Carnation Plaza Gardens was decreed by Walt to forever be a shabby corner of the park where people went swing dancing a couple hours a week...
Now, Tom Sawyer Island is "the only piece of Disneyland single-handedly designed by Walt"...

It really does get old. I love history, and I love the story of Walt, but just about the only untouchable things to me would be his apartment and the castle. It doesn't mean every potential change is a good idea, but so many of the same people are predictably against most changes. It seems like the Star Wars plan keeps the bulk of the RoA experience intact; the only thing I don't like is the idea of placing the whole island "backstage". Even that I'm not so sure is happening; the part of the island that guests currently use is to the south, so what's the harm in running the rafts over there?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Anyone crying over TSI changes now are just negative nancies ignorant of what has already been done to the place.

• First, the back half of the island isn't even accessible to guests.. So nothing to lose there by taking the back half away. It impacts Disney's back of house far more than anything the guests ever see.
  • Second, the DL TSI was already neutered when they took the fort away from guests because they wouldn't rebuild it properly. The original TSI concept was crippled with that change. The accessibility requirements meant what was left was dead-man walking... If you didn't know, the fort you explore in Florida is just the "timber" front-gate at DL.. it hasn't been guest accessible in over a decade... and the original style wall/gate was replaced with something more robust, but looks like crap.
  • Third, what remained of TSI was already raped and pillaged when they put in the Pirates overlay. It's TSI in name only anymore.

The bigger impact will be to the ROA boats.. but maybe, just maybe... Disney may invest in making the ROA banks alive again with show elements worthy of Disneyland as part of this overhaul.

TSI was already 'ripped out' in small steps over the last 12 years.. so to start playing the Walt card now is just 'change is bad' attitude.. the war was lost back in 2007.

Nmoody1

Anyone crying over TSI changes now are just negative nancies ignorant of what has already been done to the place.

• First, the back half of the island isn't even accessible to guests.. So nothing to lose there by taking the back half away. It impacts Disney's back of house far more than anything the guests ever see.
  • Second, the DL TSI was already neutered when they took the fort away from guests because they wouldn't rebuild it properly. The original TSI concept was crippled with that change. The accessibility requirements meant what was left was dead-man walking... If you didn't know, the fort you explore in Florida is just the "timber" front-gate at DL.. it hasn't been guest accessible in over a decade... and the original style wall/gate was replaced with something more robust, but looks like crap.
  • Third, what remained of TSI was already raped and pillaged when they put in the Pirates overlay. It's TSI in name only anymore.

The bigger impact will be to the ROA boats.. but maybe, just maybe... Disney may invest in making the ROA banks alive again with show elements worthy of Disneyland as part of this overhaul.

TSI was already 'ripped out' in small steps over the last 12 years.. so to start playing the Walt card now is just 'change is bad' attitude.. the war was lost back in 2007.

As long as we don't have ewok aninatronics or sand people launching an attack on the Mark Twain! ;)

Mickey_777

Yeesh...DL is going to be a a mess for the next year or so. I'm having a hard time imagining that transition to Star Wars land from Frontier or Fantasyland. That path wrapping behind BTMRR (adjacent to Big Thunder Ranch) is tight quarters. They're gonna have to create one heck of a buffer in that area unless I'm seeing it completely wrong in my head.

doctornick

just a crazy guess
maybe change it to the new Iron Man ride
or just leave it and not do a thing

I've thought about that too but the irony would be that they are building Marvel stuff in DCA, so you run into the same issue of two different spots for the same IP instead of it being all together.

Maybe they could replace Star Tours with Body Wars -- it wouldn't be a poor fit for Tomorrowland (it's sorta like a return of Adenture Thru Inner Space).

GiveMeTheMusic

This is one time I'd definitively say Disney took neither the quick or cheap way out. Love or hate the placement decisions, but they finally are making bold AND expensive ones on Star Wars.

Frozen not so much.... Stateside at least.

Star Wars could support its own gate, or at least half of one. One 14 acre land won't even begin to scratch the surface of the capabilities in that franchise, and they're land locking themselves in. Expensive, yes, bold - not to me.

So the answer is to just rip it out? They screwed it over years ago, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be fixed. The bigger issue for me is the loss of half of the river. How relaxing will a 4 minute Mark Twain cruise be where the dock never leaves your sight? Not very relaxing, or immersive, or interesting. Just another Disney Parks-only experience being shuttered when its replacement could have gone elsewhere. None of this is necessary, and while the ROA is neutered, Tomorrowland and Toontown will remain (for the foreseeable future) the ghettoes they've become since the late 90's. There's a better way to do all of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom