A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

We've been discussing this on the Disneyland forum. TL;DR: Toontown is no longer going to be affected by SWL; the site plan has changed. The railroad is being rerouted to cut Tom Sawyer Island and the Rivers of America in half, with the northern half being absorbed into SWL and the existing river set into a smaller loop. Train will run across to BTMRR and rejoin original tracks in Fantasyland. Fantasyland Theater and Big Thunder Ranch will be removed.

All of this work means Fantasmic, the railroad and all ROA attractions will be down for at least 18 months.
HAH! KNEW IT!!!.

Cesar R M

If this was a 6 month hiatus I'd agree with you but it's not, This is a situation where it will take the better part of a decade to return to previous levels, Disney is spending BILLIONS on buying back stock, Yet at their so called flagship resort and park complex they are spending a few hundred million per year on constructing new attractions, Yet that same park throws off billions in cash every year most well run companies treasure assets which generate large cash flows Not TWDC though.

If Disney were SERIOUS about the project they would close DHS for 12-18 months and get the construction DONE, That I could get behind but closing most of the attractions and removing entertainment so the park 'makes it's numbers' as a pale shadow of itself is a show of ultimate contempt for the guest experience. The assumption "The guests will ALWAYS come" is writ large all over this project.
hey, they are at least spending a huge amount of money (finally) on SWL and DHS expansions.

stevehousse

We've been discussing this on the Disneyland forum. TL;DR: Toontown is no longer going to be affected by SWL; the site plan has changed. The railroad is being rerouted to cut Tom Sawyer Island and the Rivers of America in half, with the northern half being absorbed into SWL and the existing river set into a smaller loop. Train will run across to BTMRR and rejoin original tracks in Fantasyland. Fantasyland Theater and Big Thunder Ranch will be removed.

All of this work means Fantasmic, the railroad and all ROA attractions will be down for at least 18 months.

Thank you so much for the info! That's great news about ToonTown!

rael ramone

Glad to hear that about the RF cards. Some people just don't want to wear a band. I know in the beginning they were making it difficult to get a simple card instead (trying to "sell" the band at front desks, insisting bands were better, etc.) but I hope they've gotten away from this. I'm not sure what the training is like now that the bands have been around a few years, but if a guest asks for a card instead of a band, they should just give them one.

Last year when I went to check in at the Coronado, the chipper 'Disney Hospitality' I got at the front desk went POOF when I said I wasn't going to wear one of those things and I wanted a card instead. She said it was MANDATORY. I still said no. She went to the manager, then grudgingly gave me the RF card and said 'just this one time'. Of course, I saw signs all over the property stating clearly that the Mouse Arrest Bands tracked your every move and you were entitled to a RF card instead.

This year I called a few days in advance (to make sure my water view was truly water view and not looking at some fat guy lounging at a pool) and at the same time I said I was a card user and wanted no issue at check-in. The person I was talking to said 'Oh, don't worry, lots of people do the cards. I don't like the bands myself'.

And I have a nice even tan on my arms!!!

AEfx

Surprised the Muppets hasn't been more frequently compared to the Larry Sanders Show. The show seems to be even more derivative when you make that connection.

That's just it - 30 Rock, Larry Sanders, The Office...and a dozen or more other shows...I think folks are missing that The Muppets isn't "derivative" so much of any show in particular, it simply shares what those other shows have in common - single camera comedy.

This is also what the Muppets are supposed to be doing on television, and the same thing they were doing on television during their original height of popularity. They are reflecting on/doing a satire of popular culture.

In the 70's it was Pigs In Space (Star Trek/sci-fi), Veterinarian's Hospital (General Hospital/daytime dramas), and just the fact that the entire thing was a celebrity-driven variety show (a genre which had it's heyday in the 70's - Carol Burnett, Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie, and so on). Now it's single-camera comedy with celebrity/pop culture satire.

The show did very well, and the upcoming guest star list is awesome (Michelle Pfeiffer, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Hemsworth, etc.) - so I expect it will be around for the foreseeable future, in spite of the FewThousandMoms and their little snit over misunderstanding the Muppets to begin with.

Last edited:

AEfx

Of course, I saw signs all over the property stating clearly that the Mouse Arrest Bands tracked your every move and you were entitled to a RF card instead.

While if you don't want to wear one, whatever - that's cool - and I think the entire thing to begin with should never have happened - but I have to say I do get quite a chuckle out of the paranoia around them.

brb1006

Brb, gonna puke
On the topic of Muppet sex, there is a certain movie made sometime in the late 80's by Peter Jackson which all had puppets called Meet The Feebles. I don't want to go into detail about this due to it being extremely NSFW to discuss on the forums. Especially when it's about the Disney Theme Parks and Disney in general. Let's just say you will never look at the muppets the same way again after you watch this.

Last edited:

MKCP 1985

If Disney were SERIOUS about the project they would close DHS for 12-18 months and get the construction DONE, That I could get behind but closing most of the attractions and removing entertainment so the park 'makes it's numbers' as a pale shadow of itself is a show of ultimate contempt for the guest experience.

And what about the jobs lost during that 12-18 months? What consideration do you allow for the people whose livelihood depends on that park being open to guests? Do you expect they would be absorbed into park ops and then just go back to their former departments when the day came to reopen? I don't think things work that way. And if they were forced to go elsewhere, why would they return? The park would likely suffer a permanent serious loss of talent under your scenario.

It looks like a serious project from where I sit and with park hopper passes people can enjoy the park's major unaffected attractions and move on to other offerings.

rael ramone

And what about the jobs lost during that 12-18 months? What consideration do you allow for the people whose livelihood depends on that park being open to guests? Do you expect they would be absorbed into park ops and then just go back to their former departments when the day came to reopen? I don't think things work that way. And if they were forced to go elsewhere, why would they return? The park would likely suffer a permanent serious loss of talent under your scenario.

It looks like a serious project from where I sit and with park hopper passes people can enjoy the park's major unaffected attractions and move on to other offerings.

Perhaps, if they closed down DHS and the other parks absorbed the workers then those other parks would go back to being fully staffed :eek:

rael ramone

Seriously on closing DHS vs. keeping it open.

Open or closed, they are going to spread out the capex. Even though their Street overlords are now allowing them to 'fix' DHS, they still have to spread out the spending to keep their bosses happy.

Open or closed, they will layoff CM's as they see fit.

Open or closed, prices will go up.

rael ramone

While if you don't want to wear one, whatever - that's cool - and I think the entire thing to begin with should never have happened - but I have to say I do get quite a chuckle out of the paranoia around them.

That 'paranoia' is the reason there's a RF card option that provides the guest with all the benefits of the band (minus the ability to wear in the pool). With all the $$$ they spent on this system, if COPPA/Rep. (now Sen.) Markey didn't exist, I believe the RF cards would be unavailable at the resorts and for the day guest the cards would just work as admission media.

peter11435

That 'paranoia' is the reason there's a RF card option that provides the guest with all the benefits of the band (minus the ability to wear in the pool). With all the $$$ they spent on this system, if COPPA/Rep. (now Sen.) Markey didn't exist, I believe the RF cards would be unavailable at the resorts and for the day guest the cards would just work as admission media.
Markey had no impact whatsoever. There are other reasons besides paranoia that cards still exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom