A Spirited Perfect Ten

Andrew_Ryan

At least the construction will be centralized in the back of the park, and not right up front like the DCA makeover. That was a real s***show.

I'm guessing that by spacing out the phases of additions, they won't end up closing a bunch of things all at once? I'm guessing they'll find a way to keep the surrounding attractions open (albeit with tons of construction wall mazes)?

The lack of offerings at the studios has been a problem for years now; I'm not sure if the upcoming construction really exacerbates the situation or not.

brb1006

Agreed. But if they did it wouldn't make them get the work done any faster, and the fact that they are not isn't going to stop layoffs if that's how they want to handle those areas closing...
I remember lessening to one of the Disney podcasts where I remember hearing during the 50's and 60's when the park is closed. They would have more time to build newer attractions at the time.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
haha if I had already booked my vacation and then they announced they were closing DHS during that time I would be so ed off.

No chance of that happening of course. People are crazy if they think closing tower of terror, Rockin roller coaster, star tours and TSMM is a good solution to get construction done faster

AEfx

Probably closer to 1/3rd given the frozen merchandise....

LOL, good point. :)

What's nice about the Studios is that unlike the MK, the most popular attractions are really on one side of the park, so effectively they can pretty much close half the place and not have a huge impact on the headliners. It also won't be such an awful visual intrusion as happened with NFL and the half-decade that was dug to all hell.

Goofyernmost

Markey had no impact whatsoever. There are other reasons besides paranoia that cards still exist.
I'm not paranoid about the bands, in fact I have gone on record a number of times about just how much BS that topic was, but, I find the cards to be more convenient for me and less in the way. A small card is no where near as troublesome as a wrist band in my mind. And I am not to lazy to get it out of my pocket. Personally, they can track me in the park, just like they have been doing for years anyway via camera's, all they want. Nothing at all changes anything other then they know where most of the people are at any given time.

Goofyernmost

Seriously on closing DHS vs. keeping it open.

Open or closed, they are going to spread out the capex. Even though their Street overlords are now allowing them to 'fix' DHS, they still have to spread out the spending to keep their bosses happy.

Open or closed, they will layoff CM's as they see fit.

Open or closed, prices will go up.
The only thing, in my opinion, that they think about in the terms of when to build is to spread out the opening dates so that it isn't all happening at once and it gives people the incentive to return each time one is open. CAPEX expense is not accounted for in a single fiscal year. It is amortized over the life of the attraction. It isn't even an expenditure, it is an exchange of one asset for another of equal value (cash to attraction). The amortization is used just to figure the rate of depreciation (expected time for it to need physical replacement due to age and usage) over that life time to be used against taxable income.

PhotoDave219

Here's something interesting from Deadline Hollywood:

Hollywood Retreads Have “Played Out”, Endangering Profits: Analyst

CLSA analyst Vasily Karasyov offers a bracing, albeit familiar, warning for Hollywood this morning. Box office sales for films based on sequels, spinoffs and other forms of pre-existing intellectual properties such as comic books have “played out,” he says in a new report. And that “presents growing risk to film industry profitability.”

Of course, that guy said the same thing in 2011....

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Here's something interesting from Deadline Hollywood:

Hollywood Retreads Have “Played Out”, Endangering Profits: Analyst

Of course, that guy said the same thing in 2011....
I think if you say the sky is falling every once in a while you are right. I would prefer original entertainment too, but that isn't in the cards. Movies, TV, Video games all rely on retreads, re-imaginings, and clever takes on the tried and true. Steal from the best like Dickens, Poe, Homer, Austen, Shakespeare, Wilde, Clemens, and Orwell. The best writers always do. Even our own beloved Walt Disney.

*1023*

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think if you say the sky is falling every once in a while you are right. I would prefer original entertainment too, but that isn't in the cards. Movies, TV, Video games all rely on retreads, re-imaginings, and clever takes on the tried and true. Steal from the best like Dickens, Poe, Homer, Austen, Shakespeare, Wilde, Clemens, and Orwell. The best writers always do. Even our own beloved Walt Disney.

*1023*
I forget where, but I once read something that said all stories are a rehash of Romeo and Juliet. Not sure the validity of it, but I think it's safe to say there is a finite amount of topics which means that eventually, everything is a retread.

AEfx

I'm not paranoid about the bands, in fact I have gone on record a number of times about just how much BS that topic was, but, I find the cards to be more convenient for me and less in the way. A small card is no where near as troublesome as a wrist band in my mind. And I am not to lazy to get it out of my pocket. Personally, they can track me in the park, just like they have been doing for years anyway via camera's, all they want. Nothing at all changes anything other then they know where most of the people are at any given time.

Which is perfectly valid, of course. It's been discussed time and time again so I won't rant about it now, the entire MM+ enterprise was simply an IT project gone mad when you look at even the best case scenario with everything working perfectly (which of course, it doesn't).

I also completely agree, I never had a problem with the card to begin with...especially since I only used it as ticket media and to get into a room when I used to stay there regularly. Disney is already tracking and aggregating so much data about you (credit card purchases, for instance - it knows which cards you use and when, and that they are all linked to you), that if folks are worried they should already be worried without the stupid bracelets.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Which is perfectly valid, of course. It's been discussed time and time again so I won't rant about it now, the entire MM+ enterprise was simply an IT project gone mad when you look at even the best case scenario with everything working perfectly (which of course, it doesn't).

I also completely agree, I never had a problem with the card to begin with...especially since I only used it as ticket media and to get into a room when I used to stay there regularly. Disney is already tracking and aggregating so much data about you (credit card purchases, for instance - it knows which cards you use and when, and that they are all linked to you), that if folks are worried they should already be worried without the stupid bracelets.
You know, on the large scale I agree with you on most of the non-FP+ aspects of the MM+ thing. There are some small details that I don't consider paranoia. Business are compromised often. The scope of a compromise in WDW would be farther reaching. But, we rarely disagree so I'll give the :cool: and move on to other evils in the world. Where's a cat I can get out of a tree?

*1023*

AEfx

You know, on the large scale I agree with you on most of the non-FP+ aspects of the MM+ thing. There are some small details that I don't consider paranoia. Business are compromised often. The scope of a compromise in WDW would be farther reaching. But, we rarely disagree so I'll give the :cool: and move on to other evils in the world. Where's a cat I can get out of a tree?

*1023*

True - but that was my point - if Disney gets breached, they already have all the harmful data on you in their little files they have been keeping on all of us for decades. They really do - all credit card numbers you've ever given them or that you've used at the resort at any POS, every time you have contacted the company by phone or mail (heck, they can tell you if you ordered a vacation DVD in 2004 if you ask).

Basically, the only new data they are getting is location based, and unless you are on the run and hiding out at WDW, it's temporary, useless data individually. And of course, in such extreme case, they already can find anyone they want rather quickly. In aggregate, of course, the data is meaningful as it gives Disney a powerful tool for internal metrics, but the individual data now taken by the addition of the bracelet is really inconsequential compared to what they already have on each and every one of us.

Goofyernmost

*1023*
Just for the sake of conversation that, in and of itself, is an example of paranoia. What would they use that information for that they can't already use if they want too. That's especially true of linked credit cards, addresses, phone numbers, names of people in your family and so on. So what information that is strictly Disney related be compromised anymore then it always has been possible.

That ship sailed many years ago, we gave that all up when we bought up the phones. (smart or dumb phones) You are now open to the possibility of being tracked anywhere in the world that you and your phone happens to be. Got a GPS in your car? Guess what, somebody somewhere knows where you and your car are located at all times, day or night. The idea that you are currently riding Haunted Mansion is of no value to anyone other then Disney. The fact that you just bought a plush Mickey is of no interest to anyone other then Disney. So the risk of new information being compromised is really hard to understand the motivation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom