A Spirited Perfect Ten

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes indeed you're right. You may not recall the mass DIS banning that occurred back in 2008. Hundreds of members were banned from the site forever by the webmaster and no reason was given. It became evident later that the reason for the bans was due to those same members also being members of another website that the DIS webmaster didn't like. The webmaster had set up the DIS so that if a link to the DIS came from that website, it would automatically be redirected to an undesirable site. Once he got caught doing that, he accidentally set links on the DIS to be redirected to the site he was attempting to ban. As a result of his mistake, he recruited a lot of new members to the UnDIS.

I never knew about the UnDIS, that's awesome

Cesar R M

What's this I hear about Discovery Island reopening? LoL

in before it gts transformed into luxury DVC lol

Can we get this kid to call customer service and find out when Wonders of Life will be reopening as well? Oh, and have him ask about the Odyssey restaurant too.

On a more serious note, he already has more views than Fadora (or whatever her name was).
is Fadora a mommy blogger?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

That's how they support themselves. Pixie dusted idiots like the ones on this board giving them free money.
No different from some people I've seen who cry wolf every day to get free donations.
Sadly many people do give the money. The saying of "a fool and his money..." is still true to this day.

As for jobs... Good for them honestly.. they get money doing what they love (in loving Disney and getting everything paid for them).
No different from people who sell. like those adult guys the pony adult artwork or memoralia (or other similar facepalm inducing "jobs").

It doesn't means it stops being funny (or sad in some cases).

mahnamahna101

Let me correct Mike -

"Say what you want about Stitch as an attraction, but those animatronics are among the best of the working ones on property."

;)

That said, I have always agreed - Stitch has not nearly earned the hate shown towards it. The final version ended up much better than the previews, they fixed up a lot of the holes - and it's a neat little attraction at this point. Stitch AA is really cool, and while I'm not really a fan of him (I've never seen any of the movies) I can't deny that he is pretty funny and adorable in that attraction. It's like TLM - folks are so focused on what they don't see that they miss what they can see - which is a couple of C-tickets in a park that needs them.
I'd be fine with Stitch getting the Turtle Talk-esque show from the other parks by the old Skyway area.

However, you've got to admit getting chili dogs burped on you isn't a fun experience :depressed: replacing it and Laugh Floor is the first step to a better Tomorrowland. But at least Laugh Floor is fun for first-timers. All I heard when I was on Stitch was 'eww'. Not the best reaction.

I'd say retheme Stitch to GotG if there has to be a tie-in or revive Alien Encounter if there doesn't. Rocket and Groot AAs could be amazing, even better than Stitch. They could even mix the humor of Stitch (Rocket and Groot banter, Star Lord's 70s mixtapes) with the horror of Alien Encounter (Thanos, alien invasion).

Cesar R M

Sorry, guess I don't get the joke - and I wasn't looking for "applause" (isn't that what your constant stream of little pictures is for?).

"Maintaining themselves", or making a living at an activity, is one of the definitions of the word "professional". Hence "professional sports", "professional video game player", etc. If you make a living at it, versus it being a leisure activity, you are a professional.

There very definitely are professional fans out there. Not just with Disney, but pretty much everything that has enough of a following to support enough ancillary activity - Star Wars, video games, Game of Thrones...you name it.
You misuse the word "Professional".

any little kid who does artwork and sells for them at 1 USD on-line can call themselves "professionals" Even if they lack the skill, requirements, commitment or professionalism to call themselves professionals.
I've actually facepalmed when single kids selling stuff, call themselves "XXXXX Studios, professional art".

also, thank you for your petty jab towards me for the applause remark.

To resume:

Hobby that gives money != Professional

lazyboy97o

any little kid who does artwork and sells for them at 1 USD on-line can call themselves "professionals" Even if they lack the skill, requirements, commitment or professionalism to call themselves professionals.
I've actually facepalmed when single kids selling stuff, call themselves "XXXXX Studios, professional art".

To resume:

You're wrong.
http://i.word.com/idictionary/professional
Definitions 2a and 2c.

crispy

The DIS had a member who is currently awaiting trial with her husband for killing hubby's mistress...

Whoa! I want that story! I haven't read or posted on the DIS for several years. I left after the big ban although I didn't get banned myself. I was amused by the UnDIS/Circle of Sarcasm for a while, but it had it's share of drama, too.

ParentsOf4

Great article this weekend that illustrates the real story as to why Disney is cozing up to the Chinese government. In this case, the first time Star Wars is being officially shown in Chinese cinemas. This is precisely what I and a few others have been trying to explain amongst all the theatrics and hysterics regarding Disney's entry into China.

Particularly note things like: "Sales assistant Joy Han took a day off to see the film, even though she has seen all six through illegal downloads and pirated copies. The six-DVD box set sells for around $12 in the Chinese commercial city." "It looks better on the big screen," she told AFP. "This is the first time for China."

This is what matters to Disney, long term - it has nothing to do with small potatoes like a single site theme park or store location, or such trivialities as who appears in what photograph at an event that no one remembers a week later. It's about getting those 1.4B people in China accustomed to authentic media, and Disney getting the support of the government, like they did here, to be able to showcase their IP in an official capacity (and to profit from it).
I half agree with you.

In 2014, Disney's Parks & Resorts (P&R) revenue was $15.1B. Studio Entertainment was $7.3B. Breaking down those numbers further, international P&R revenue (DLP and HKDL, with relatively small royalties from TDL) was $2.8B while world-wide theatrical distribution revenue was $2.4B. Don't underestimate Disney's international P&R business ("nothing to do with small potatoes like a single site theme park"). Those "small potatoes" international parks outdrew Disney's entire world-wide motion picture rentals.

I agree with you; China potentially represents a tremendous new market for Disney to sell its portfolio. However, it would be a mischariteration to suggest that Shanghai Disneyland is "small potatoes".

AEfx

I'd be fine with Stitch getting the Turtle Talk-esque show from the other parks by the old Skyway area.

However, you've got to admit getting chili dogs burped on you isn't a fun experience :depressed: replacing it and Laugh Floor is the first step to a better Tomorrowland. But at least Laugh Floor is fun for first-timers. All I heard when I was on Stitch was 'eww'. Not the best reaction.

I'd say retheme Stitch to GotG if there has to be a tie-in or revive Alien Encounter if there doesn't. Rocket and Groot AAs could be amazing, even better than Stitch. They could even mix the humor of Stitch (Rocket and Groot banter, Star Lord's 70s mixtapes) with the horror of Alien Encounter (Thanos, alien invasion).

I could do without the burp, LOL - but really, I don't think it's a terrible attraction at all.

It's funny, because MILF is a lot worse to me - just a screen show when it should have been fully animatronic.

In any case, once they have something better to put in those spaces - hey, I'm all for it - but for now, they do the job of siphoning off folks from all heading straight to Space Mountain LOL.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I'm not sure to what extent the Uni/Marvel agreement would limit this. Thanos is linked in the cinematic universe. I'm not sure about the actual guardians. I want to say they were linked with the avengers in the comics.

AEfx

I half agree with you.

In 2014, Disney's Parks & Resorts (P&R) revenue was $15.1B. Studio Entertainment was $7.3B. Breaking down those numbers further, international P&R revenue (DLP and HKDL, with relatively small royalties from TDL) was $2.8B while world-wide theatrical distribution revenue was $2.4B. Don't underestimate Disney's international P&R business ("nothing to do with small potatoes like a single site theme park"). Those "small potatoes" international parks outdrew Disney's entire world-wide motion picture rentals.

I agree with you; China potentially represents a tremendous new market for Disney to sell its portfolio. However, it would be a mischariteration to suggest that Shanghai Disneyland is "small potatoes".

But you are comparing theatrical distribution only - there is so much more than that. Do you really think that one single-site theme park is not "small potatoes" compared to theatrical, DVD/Blu-ray, and copious associated Disney branded merchandise to 1.4B new customers?

That's what this is about - not just Disney being allowed to exhibit Star Wars. That's simply just one small aspect of it - it's about the Chinese government choosing to enforce IP protections and keep China from getting deeper into being a bootleg society. China isn't just opening up to the outside world, but also inside itself - they are at the point where the bootleg mentality of the largest cities can either propagate throughout the nation or can be quelled before it's too late.

I didn't call "all international parks" small potatoes - but yes, one single park location vs. the potential revenue that can be generated from selling 1.4B people movie tickets, DVDs/Blu-rays, toys, T-shirts, etc. is "small potatoes" comparatively.

I don't doubt the accuracy of the numbers you are posting, of course - just that your comparisons between them and their individual in relevance to this. How does ALL the revenue from ALL the International Parks speak to how much revenue this one, single park site will generate versus the potential revenues from 1.4B new people consuming Disney media and product in all forms?

That's what is at stake here, a market for products in a country with a massive population that could be going to bootleggers, or could be going in Disney's pockets.

lazyboy97o

I half agree with you.

Except we constantly talk about Iger doesn't really care about theme parks, so for him it would be small potatoes. As a parks guys it's not something I like, but it is a very plausible narrative that doesn't involve so much jumping and innuendo.

AEfx

To resume:

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sorry you disliked my pointing out that if anyone is guilty of looking for "applause" it is you after your petty jab - you have this real issue with exhibiting a behavior, it being pointed out to you, and then turning it around on the person pointing it out. When you say it, it's a "remark", when I point out your folly - "petty jab". You just dig yourself deeper in.

In any case, again, you don't know what you are talking about - and you keep contradicting yourself so that I am even more convinced. We established in the last post, some people make a living off of this, you agreed, and now you are talking about kids selling artwork for $1. You keep moving the line of the discussion around in absurd ways.

You are absolutely correct - a hobby that gives money !=professional - but when you make a living at it, as in, earn enough money to live without having another job, yes, that very much does = professional. You have made a profession out of it. That's actually one definition of the word. That's the line - it's a hobby if you make a few bucks, but you become a professional at something when you can make your entire living it at.

I understand that English may not be your first language, but if you are going to make fun of/make jokes about/laugh at people, and argue with those for whom it is about the meaning of words, you really should make sure you aren't the one who is incorrect before correcting everyone else. ;)

AEfx

That's one of those things I'm surprised didn't get removed after enough of people not liking it.

I actually am surprised as well. So many workplaces have "fragrance" policies because of adverse reactions (though, often, it is more about those that seem to bathe in scent products, granted, LOL), it is actually kind of remarkable that they have kept it in so long.

ParentsOf4

But you are comparing theatrical distribution only - there is so much more than that. Do you really think that one single-site theme park is not "small potatoes" compared to theatrical, DVD/Blu-ray, and copious associated Disney branded merchandise to 1.4B new customers?
Please keep in mind that China does not represent 1.4B new customers for Disney.

Quoting from a 2013 article in the NYT:

Average annual income for a family in 2012 was 13,000 renminbi, or about $2,100. When broken down by geography, the survey results showed that the average amount in Shanghai, a huge coastal city, was just over 29,000 renminbi, or $4,700, while the average in Gansu Province, far from the coast in northwest China, was 11,400 renminbi, or just under $2,000. Average family income in urban areas was about $2,600, while it was $1,600 in rural areas.​

Whether a family in China is making $2,100 or $4,700, most are not going to be able to afford Disney's luxury goods.

It's a bit like the Argentinian and Brazilian markets. We frequently discuss WDW visitors from those countries but it's only the top 5% or so of families who can afford trips to WDW.

From a total revenue/profit perspective, the United States will (by far) remain Disney's #1 market for the foreseeable future, regardless of Disney's success in China.

Last edited:

Mike S

Please keep in mind that China does not represent 1.4B new customers for Disney.

Quoting from a 2013 article in the NYT:

Average annual income for a family in 2012 was 13,000 renminbi, or about $2,100. When broken down by geography, the survey results showed that the average amount in Shanghai, a huge coastal city, was just over 29,000 renminbi, or $4,700, while the average in Gansu Province, far from the coast in northwest China, was 11,400 renminbi, or just under $2,000. Average family income in urban areas was about $2,600, while it was $1,600 in rural areas.​

Whether a family in China is making $2,100 or $4,700, most are not going to be able to afford Disney's luxury goods.

It's a bit like the Argentinian and Brazilian markets. We frequently discuss WDW visitors from those countries but it's only the top 5% or so of families who can afford trips to WDW.

From a total revenue/profit perspective, the United States will (by far) remaining Disney's #1 market for the foreseeable future, regardless of Disney's success in China.
Which is why the slowing down of investment in the U.S. parks in favor of the foreign parks is completely and utterly stupid. Some people hate this comparison, but look at Universal. Their new park in Beijing isn't affecting their stateside investments at all.

AEfx

From a total revenue/profit perspective, the United States will (by far) remaining Disney's #1 market for the foreseeable future, no matter how successful Disney is in China.

That may very well be the case - but internally China is changing very rapidly, and those incomes are only going to go up as they become more accustomed to a more Western style of living. For example, the sales of cars have doubled in the past five years in China. Sure, the amount of cars sold is still half than the US - but our auto sales peaked in the 1970's and 1980's, and theirs are on their way up - comparatively, they are in the 1950's.

While we constantly accuse Disney (and Darth Iger specifically) of only short-term thinking, this is a very long haul coming up with China - in 10, 15, 20 years - and with such a massive population - the landscape of China is going to be much, much different.

SJN1279

According to estimates, Inside Out outgrossed Jurassic World on Friday, blowing passed box office predictions. I'm pretty surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom