A Spirited Perfect Ten

raymusiccity

you mean how Disneyland and the other worldwide Disney parks are (except WDW?)

Roaming characters just won't work in this day and age of overcrowding and pushy parents. You can see videos from many years ago of the characters getting surrounded by parents shoving their children in front of each other.

Just another early memory of a Disney experience that only worked with a much lower park attendance. :-(

OSUgirl77

Thanks, Pixar. Thanks, Pete Docter. I'm 50 years old and I was crying at the movies. My wife will make fun of me the rest of my life because I started crying at
the death of Bing Bong.
. Yeah you read that right. I haven't cried at a movie since the end of Life is a Beautiful and now this of all things. I must be getting old...
I cried at that, too. I was kind of shocked at how deep that part hit me.

I thought Inside Out was fantastic. Fun? Not really (but it is funny), and I don't think small children will get it. But sometimes childhood experiences aren't fun, and I think it's important to have movies that show that.

Also, Lava, the short that plays before it, is beautiful. I had a tear in my eye at the end of it as well.

AEfx

Great article this weekend that illustrates the real story as to why Disney is cozing up to the Chinese government. In this case, the first time Star Wars is being officially shown in Chinese cinemas. This is precisely what I and a few others have been trying to explain amongst all the theatrics and hysterics regarding Disney's entry into China.

Particularly note things like: "Sales assistant Joy Han took a day off to see the film, even though she has seen all six through illegal downloads and pirated copies. The six-DVD box set sells for around $12 in the Chinese commercial city." "It looks better on the big screen," she told AFP. "This is the first time for China."

This is what matters to Disney, long term - it has nothing to do with small potatoes like a single site theme park or store location, or such trivialities as who appears in what photograph at an event that no one remembers a week later. It's about getting those 1.4B people in China accustomed to authentic media, and Disney getting the support of the government, like they did here, to be able to showcase their IP in an official capacity (and to profit from it).

China screens original 'Star Wars' in cinemas for first time
ASSOCIATED PRESS
SHANGHAI
1434735809072.jpg
AFP Photo
China has become one with the Force by showing the original "Star Wars" film at cinemas for the first time, nearly four decades after it became a global hit and cornerstone of Western popular culture.

The Shanghai International Film Festival is showing all six "Star Wars" films this week, including the first screenings in mainland Chinese theatres of the original trilogy, festival organisers said. There are no plans for nationwide release.

In 1977 as foreign audiences followed the adventures of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", China had just emerged from the chaotic Cultural Revolution and had yet to launch economic reforms which would transform the Communist-ruled country.

Tuesday was the first showing through the film festival of "A New Hope" -- made first but ultimately the fourth film in the series -- though hard-core fans were treated to a specially arranged screening of the original trilogy shown back-to-back on Sunday.

At a central cinema, the Tuesday show was nearly sold out. The Star Wars theme song played in the lobby as the young crowd entered, one man wearing a C-3PO T-shirt and a woman sporting white storm troopers on her black shirt.

Sales assistant Joy Han took a day off to see the film, even though she has seen all six through illegal downloads and pirated copies. The six-DVD box set sells for around $12 in the Chinese commercial city.

"It looks better on the big screen," she told AFP. "This is the first time for China."

Some audience members said they were more familiar with the newer, prequel films: "The Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" than with the original three films -- "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi".

US studio Walt Disney hopes the screenings will prepare the Chinese audience for the seventh episode in the series, due for release later this year.

"This will be the first-ever theatrical screening of the original trilogy in China," Kerwin Lo, vice president and general manager of Walt Disney Studios China, told AFP before the films showed.

"The huge buzz and excitement generated is going to be great for the Star Wars franchise and the upcoming 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'," he said.

On the Chinese website Douban, the original 1977 Star Wars film received a rating of 8.3 out of 10 and drew more than 35,000 comments.
"We should view it with a comparative perspective," said a posting under the name T-maxdo.

"In 1977, the United States already had such stunning imaginative creativity and movie special effects, while China had just ended the Cultural Revolution period and its people had just emerged from a dark era."

But some Chinese viewers criticised the film for weak characters.

"Although the character design is weak, the leading actress not beautiful, the leading actor not handsome and the action parts like children fighting, placed in 1977, the visual effects are amazing," said Xiaosi Buxiang on the website.

AEfx

I Was picked by curiosity, then I found this gem in the description..

successful professional Disney fans in the industry

pffffffffffff HA HA HA HA HA "Professional" "Fans"

And meanwhile, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

You don't think people are making their living this way? You should have read the rest of the description, because that's what it's all about. Some folks have, indeed, made a profession out of it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Just a note here... it doesn't take all that much to get banned from the great and wonderful DIS. I was temporarily banned because someone took exception to something I said. Now, I do know me will enough to know that I am perfectly capable of doing that from time to time, but, in this case they just read it wrong and I was banned for arguing with another poster. Seriously, someone was so sensitive that they reported me and the irony was that I was agreeing with them, they just read the first few words and blanked out from there.

No great loss... to me.

Yep...I go there from time to time and have had a number of warnings but no ban yet. There are some reasonable people there, and their Universal boards are pretty decent. Realize most of it is for information and people planning trips, stuff we don't get into as much here from what I can see.

Oh, I also got temporarily banned from Theme Park Review recently for saying some things against the current state of WDW, certainly feel that TPR has gone downhill since they started shilling everything Disney does as positive (I think they've been added to Disney's social media PR Army)

SJN1279

The troll is strong with that one

I honestly would have loved to have seen Frankenweenie incorporated into the Mansion(even if it was only for Xmas time). As a dog lover, and a huge fan of the classic Universal Monsters, Frankenweenie was one of my favorite movies of all time. Not to mention Martin Short voices the Dad!

Phil12

Just a note here... it doesn't take all that much to get banned from the great and wonderful DIS. I was temporarily banned because someone took exception to something I said. Now, I do know me will enough to know that I am perfectly capable of doing that from time to time, but, in this case they just read it wrong and I was banned for arguing with another poster. Seriously, someone was so sensitive that they reported me and the irony was that I was agreeing with them, they just read the first few words and blanked out from there.

No great loss... to me.
Yes indeed you're right. You may not recall the mass DIS banning that occurred back in 2008. Hundreds of members were banned from the site forever by the webmaster and no reason was given. It became evident later that the reason for the bans was due to those same members also being members of another website that the DIS webmaster didn't like. The webmaster had set up the DIS so that if a link to the DIS came from that website, it would automatically be redirected to an undesirable site. Once he got caught doing that, he accidentally set links on the DIS to be redirected to the site he was attempting to ban. As a result of his mistake, he recruited a lot of new members to the UnDIS.

Another thing the DIS was famous for was putting some people on global ignore. You could post, but nobody could see your posts. Also when the server(s) got at all busy, the people put on global ignore found that the site ran at a snails pace and made posting messages a slow and very tedious process. However, the fiasco at the DIS taught some good lessons. The word "troll" is often used to dismiss credible differences of opinion. It's important to investigate things on your own and not take the words of others as gospel.

Like minded people tend to form mobs and sometimes attempt to bully others into their way of thinking. If the bullying doesn't work, then it's easy to exclude the heathens from the group. Of course, if you've got the webmaster and the moderators in the same group of bullies (as happened on the DIS), then it's easy to ban the "trolls" using the aforementioned tactics. You see a lot more culling of the membership at the DIS compared to WDWMAGIC.

Also, depending upon the topic, questions can be removed from the DIS boards faster than you can say "delete". The moderators have itchy trigger fingers and if some topic or question falls outside of their approved line of thinking, it's "poofed" very quickly.

What it all comes down to is reasonableness. The rules here at WDWMAGIC are pretty simple and reasonable. Yet it still amazes me that some people repeatedly attempt to circumvent the profanity filter when it's obvious that Steve doesn't want those words used. Therefore all of the members need to exercise some level of common sense and self-restraint. I don't think most of us have any problem staying within the TOS.

mahnamahna101

Except when judged from a "brand immersion" standpoint, the parks disappoint the most. Think about how lame the attractions based on such movies as Aladdin, Lilo and Stitch, Monsters Inc and others turned out. The best Disney movie tie-in attraction on property is the Song of the South ride. :facepalm:

It's actually in Disney best interest NOT to sell the parks as "characters, characters, characters". At least so long as they keep looking for the cheapest way out to implement them (see: Frozen).
I think Bald Mountain could own Splash Mountain if Disney were willing to make it 10 minutes long to allow show scenes, a Chernabog AA and a ride that's fully synced to 'Night on Bald Mountain'. But I agree that Splash Mountain is the only E-ticket at WDW based on a Disney, non IP acquisition film

Ride and Go Seek is solid for what it is. I'd like to see it cloned for DHS if they won't give us the Door Coaster. DHS could use a nice C/D like that.

Stitch was simply on the cheap and replaced the only truly terrifying Disney attraction. Stitch Encounter is decent enough for a B-ticket.

I hope you're talking about the Magic Carpets for Aladdin. Aladdin the Musical over at DCA would be a great addition to Adventureland... it'd provide a high-capacity theater which MK desperately needs (moving Philharmagic to Main Street and a new show for Fantasyland would also help)

Agrabah would be a nice mini-land for Adventureland. You can relocate the Magic Carpets, get a great show while still having some room for a new E-ticket behind POTC/Jungle Cruise. The new E-ticket could be a part of Jungle Cruise if it's in a temple or volcano/mountain.

Cesar R M

Cesar R M

And meanwhile, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

You don't think people are making their living this way? You should have read the rest of the description, because that's what it's all about. Some folks have, indeed, made a profession out of it.
And you want an applause or what?
I was laughing at the comment, not the fact that they might maintain themselves with what they do.
But also.. weren't they asking for donations or a kickstart for their videos projects?

Cesar R M

POTC 1 was pretty solid. I agree with the rest, though.

And whoever thinks Tower of Terror is a Disney original clearly has never been to the Twilight Zone...

Agree with POTC.
But then, remember that many people said Depp's acting was ruining the movie. But it actually boosted the movie to epic levels.

So Id say Depp's acting deserved more points than Disney on POTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom